Martial + Rooney injured, Zlatan suspended - RASHFORD STARTS

Ixion

I want to see how some forumers here slaughter Jose if he plays Young up top, just like how they slaughtered LVG for doing so.
LVG had Martial & Rashford available in that game though. Jose has no one.

ROFLUTION

Might as well take the pre match team photo in goal and keep em all there for 90 minutes

POF

You couldn't make it up. What a nightmare. 4-3-3 with a mobile front 3 seems like the way to go.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Out of all the options I would say Ashley Young is the best bet. He's quick, got decent movement and is actually a decent finisher when he's through on goal. Scored plenty for Villa in a similar role, played 2nd striker for England a few times.

We can't use Fellaini up top he will just get dominated by Cahill/Luiz, they need a nippy striker to pull them apart.

A front 4 of Mkhi/Lingard/Young/Mata is the best we can hope for.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Isn't it at least the second time Jones takes out Rooney in training?
A couple of years ago he kicked him in the head and left a nasty cut...
Yup during the Moyes season IIRC. Rooney had to wear a head band for a couple of games. He did score two brilliant free kicks against Palace and City wearing that head band.

Castia

I'd love to see Chelsea get Mourinho'd.

Feck it, even with a fully fit squad it would be tough down at Stamford Bridge, with the players missing and a game on Thursday Id use this as a throwaway and give the likes of TFM a game.

Hellboy

Out of all the options I would say Ashley Young is the best bet. He's quick, got decent movement and is actually a decent finisher when he's through on goal. Scored plenty for Villa in a similar role, played 2nd striker for England a few times.

We can't use Fellaini up top he will just get dominated by Cahill/Luiz, they need a nippy striker to pull them apart.

When was the last time he scored a goal for us ?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When was the last time he scored a goal for us ?
Last season, came on as a sub upfront for 10 minutes and scored with a nice finish. Can't remember what team it was but we were at home. EDIT; last game of the season against Bournemouth.

Let's be honest though he's been playing RB/LB most recently, not going to score many there.

Mike09

Either rely on Lingard's pace or play cross and Fellaini's header.

Crustanoid

We'll lose but it will be closer than some think.

3-4

Fellaini to score an early hat trick, but then go and blight it by scoring 4 own goals. Then he'll proper leave us in the lurch by being sent off needlessly and ensuring we play the last 82 minutes with ten men

prtk0811

Also AV on the right wing with Fosu mensah at rb . That kid has got skills and pace and accelaratin to match hazard and win the ball off his and ress him, While AV counterattacks from the wing with his deadly low crosses or cutback cross. 4141 352 4312 diamond anything can be deployed tonight. We aint scoring a goal without direct and counter attacking dynamics tonight as chelsea will sit back and counter.

mark_a

Am I the only one thinking this could be the opportunity for mixing things up & something good coming out of it? I mean we're not talking the previous few seasons where we'd be playing Fallaini as a CF!

People have been moaning that we don't play 2 up front, so this could be a chance for our attacking midfielders to play further up & make an impact? Mkhitaryan and Lingard can both score, Herrera, Pogba, Carrick and Valencia can make them. Young attacks with pace, unlike some.

Also, there could be some kidology here, maybe Mourhino is doing some mind games and Rashford or Rooney might be fine? Though I think I'd prefer Mkhitaryan or another up front to Rooney these days.

Vida5Nick

NFP
We have 4 strikers if you include Martial as a striker, so buying a fifth on the off chance of a mini crisis is pointless and wouldn't be beneficial.

Also I think this is Mourinho throwing the towel in the FA Cup to concentrate on the league and EL.
4 strikers 1 of which is a 36 year old, another is now a winger, the third on the wane and is a passenger in the side, injured now as it is, and one still very raw despite his impressive debuts, in a competition far more physical and intense where injuries are bound to result than say, France. Add to that that we are playing 66 matches this season with most of an ageing squad (Carrick, Bastian etc) who cannot play week in and out. If we had enough players to cover for injuries, like, a talented up and coming striker who can field the gap in this sort of game would have been valuable. Hell, even Depay would have been an option to stick up front

Having no forward line and having to play makeshift to lead us is not a crisis? Again, This forward line relies on a 36 year old to bang in the goals, and missed chances that cost us valuable points in the run in for 4th place. that's not acceptable. Not buying in January was criminal especially in the run up we have now that we have talk of throwing in the FA Cup to prioritize EL. We should be competing on all fronts and you need a bigger squad for that. Jose fecked up here, im afraid.

soad

Is there any chance its a game by Mou? Maybe he needs an excuse for a lose in that cup.

Will Singh

We'll lose but it will be closer than some think.

3-4

Fellaini to score an early hat trick, but then go and blight it by scoring 4 own goals. Then he'll proper leave us in the lurch by being sent off needlessly and ensuring we play the last 82 minutes with ten men
I'm glad your taking it seriously

prtk0811

maybe Mourhino is doing some mind games and Rashford or Rooney might be fine?
Even if rooney is fine i dont want him anywhere near the starting 11. He has lost it and doing nothing fitness wise to make any impact in any game. We saw that against Bournmouth when he missed a simple chance and headed it over when he had ample time to control the ball and finish the chance better.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You're not going to do shit against a well drilled 3 man defense by lumping it up to Fellaini. Only way to trouble them is getting mobile players upfront and dragging their center backs/midfield two out of position to cover for the space left by their attacking wing backs. We know all too well neither Hazard nor Costa is going to be doing a lot on defense. Young and Mkhitaryan need to start upfront and Pogba/Mata or Herrera need to make box runs when either of the forwards move into wide areas.

Ixion

I'd fancy Lingard up front more than Young. Something like this, surround Mata with pace.

Lingard
Young Mata Mkhi
Pogba Herrera

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I think people forget what an amazing forward Ashley Young really is. He's not been deployed as a striker for us but he surely have some of those qualities. When he cuts inside form the right and gets into position he's as deadly as any striker out there. He's also extremely underrated at set pieces.

Unless there's something special I would like to see him play as some kind of forward. Mata is not a player you can rely on up top alone. Mhiki is not a striker either. Perhaps Pogba should be played as a linkman.

My suggested attacking formation:

Young/(or Mata)
Pogba Mhiki
Fellaini Carrick Herrera

Vida5Nick

NFP
You're not going to do shit against a well drilled 3 man defense by lumping it up to Fellaini. Only way to trouble them is getting mobile players upfront and dragging their center backs/midfield two out of position to cover for the space left by their attacking wing backs. We know all too well neither Hazard nor Costa is going to be doing a lot on defense. Young and Mkhitaryan need to start upfront and Pogba/Mata or Herrera need to make box runs when either of the forwards move into wide areas.
This. For all of his height, he gets outjumped by shorter players, or can't direct the ball with accuracy even if his life depended upon it. And there's the chance for fouls that he gives away needlessly and cheaply. Shouldn't come near the matchday squad at all.

iHicksy

I'd say have a midfield three of carrick pogba herrera, I think a two would be suicide against their wingbacks. Then play a three man interchangable attack of miki mata lingard/young.

DizeeGorilla20

Is there any chance its a game by Mou? Maybe he needs an excuse for a lose in that cup.
I seriously doubt that.

Why would he do that when he is a known serial winner and against Chelsea of all teams? Why only spare the strikers too? Surely he would also make up injuries in the midfield and defence if that was the case.

Rooney and Rashford in particular are in need of minutes up front, there is no way (I believe) he would so willingly give up the opportunity to provide them with game time now that Zlatan is suspended

PoTMS

Last time we were this fecked, we ended up beating Arsenal 3-2. I know Chelsea aren't bottlers like the Arse but I'm actually pretty excited to see how we'll fare tonight. We've actually got nothing to lose as nobody's expecting anything but a defeat.

prtk0811

Last time we were this fecked, we ended up beating Arsenal 3-2. I know Chelsea aren't bottlers like the Arse but I'm actually pretty excited to see how we'll fare tonight. We've actually got nothing to lose as nobody's expecting anything but a defeat.
Where is this all Negativity and lack of confidence coming from? Our Defense and Midfield is good enough to keep a clean sheet Its the other end which is Lacking Balance.

PoTMS

Even if Rashford is ill, just leave him up front and get him to sneeze on Costa and Luiz and get them sent off.

ijc

DDG
Valencia-Jones-Rojo-Blind
Carrick-Herrera-Pogba
Mkh-Lingard
Fellaini

We need some direct balls going in the box hoping for Fellaini to do some knockdowns to the onrushing Mkh and Lingard. Don't think Mata would be useful playing today because Fellaini will not run the channels like Rashford or Martial would have done for his through balls. We need some crosses into the box and for Fellaini to target Azpilicueta. Then we would have a chance for an ugly win.

If Fellaini doesn't play up front then we need an interchanging front 3. Then Mkh would play as a false 9 and Mata at AMR. But I don't think that would have much of an effect as Kante and Matic would sweep up everything just outside the box.