Martial + Rooney injured, Zlatan suspended - RASHFORD STARTS

criticalanalysis

I'm not the only one quietly confident about this right?

All the conditions are set for us to play containment football and we're probably the best side in the league for that (plus all our other qualities). Chelsea will not be able to sit deep and hit us on the break and it will be a game of playing man for man i.e no one is gonna dominate much, it'll be down to individual qualities and I don't see us losing in that department all things considered.

Herrera and Pogba + 1 are more than a match for whatever their midfield can come up with and with Valencia, we'll hold down the fort on that right. Pedro, Hazard and Costa are the obvious threats. I have faith in Rojo + whoever to be able to play tight and not give them the space to run into/inter play.

It'll be a totally different game to the last one.

Miki will be our star.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
yeah but we hadn't exactly started to gel properly after a piss poor pre season and more managerial upheaval. I know that our record at Stamford Bridge is poor and they are a very good side, but so are we.
If we had Ibra and Martial playing, then sure, we are very good.
The problem is that we don't have the guy who scores most of our goals.
And now, we have been told that we can't play with a striker.
So, given all of the above, I can't see how we can win this. I can't even see a draw.

reddevil702

Do what Spain did with Fabregas during the WC and play him as a false 9. Mata and mkhi's will find space. Much better option the fellani!

ti vu

Haven't read anything, just the title. Sound like a way to play a weak team & go out of FA Cup

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Haven't read anything, just the title. Sound like a way to play a weak team & go out of FA Cup
It certainly sounds like it, but would Jose honestly throw a game in this fashion by playing without a striker?

RedPnutz

We were always going into this game an underdogs but where's the fighting spirit?
It seems that not only has our team lost the winning mentality. Our fans are despairing even before the ball is kicked.

This is a game that we can win even against the odds. Instead of moaning about Fellaini up front, let's be glad that the players we have left are those that will follow Jose's plan to a T.

It might be an ugly game but we can take the wind out of Chelsea's sails.

prtk0811

Well That's bad news, But still not to loose heart. Even if it was true we still have got plenty of options to balance it out or simply try different formation. We are Man united so we play to win and we play to attack. As Chelsea will be vunrable on the wings we should play Antonio Valencia as a winger to counter attack with pace wide right and drill in some good old deadly low crosses in the box and just Add Tim Fosu mensah in defense on the right. He can defend very well and can handle a mobile hazard much better as he likes to cut inside to defend the creative player and he has the speed and the skill to rob the ball of hazard or pedro and the quickness to match their energy.

--------------De Gea--------------------

TFM --------Bailly------Rojo--------Shaw

---------------Carrick----------------

AV-------Herrera--------Pogba------Young/Lingard

-------------------Mkh-----------------

TFM Bailly Carrick Herrera Ad AV's gegenpress on him, combination down the right would be too much for hazard to pass through and his treat can be handled very well and if he switches the Flanks Shaw rojo young carrick combo is also well stacked up against him or any winger like pedro. AV's direct counter attacking will ensure he finds spaces behind Alonso and chelsea's 3 man defense and keep hazard pegged back.

---------------De gea---------------

---TFM/ jones---Bailly-----Rojo

AV---Herrera---Carrick----Pogba-----Shaw

-------- Mkh------Young/JL------

AV and Shaw as wingbacks can find spaces down the wings and put in some deadly crosses for MKh or young who can adapt as a striker. Also both MKh and Young or lingard has the ability to cut inside from wid positions so this will make out attacking play unpredictable. Again TFM as a Rcb can play that role very well . and Valencia him and bailly Carrick combination can rob the ball very well of Hazard similarly on the other wing.

41212 Or 442 Diamond.

----------De Gea-----------

AV-----Bailly------Rojo----Shaw

-----------Carrick-----------

-----Herrera ----Pogba-----

-------------Mkh-------------

------Mata--------Young/lingard

3 rotations forwards Mkh Young/Lingard and mata can interchange positions and can also take up unusual spaces on the wings to have Flexible unpredictable movements and confuse the opposition defenders and be a goal scoring threat in the box. A diamond in the center makes sure we have more Meaning full posession on the ball and have more of it to control the game for long durations . Full backs can widen the play roaming up and down. Similarly can become a 433 during the game in posession Albeit temporarily to become unpredictable.

Late on the game Fellani can be brought on to play longballs forward and be a goal scoring threat on the headers and keep the pressure on luiz. or to control the game if on the lead.

We are a strong squad i Hope jose becomes Flexible in formations and line ups and Use TFM in this game to free AV on the wings. Because he has been under used this season, and i genuinely belive he has the qualities to own the attackers defensively. A Counter attacking AV will be too hot to Handle for Chelsea's defense.

In an open game we will have our chances to win and score goals, If Chelsea Parks the bus i can see this going into extra time.

Last edited:

Vida5Nick

NFP
This is why you buy in the jan transfer window. Selling players and claiming no value in the transfer window cost SAF dearly at times.

CS@SG

And I thought Jose himself once said the teams he managed seldom have injury crisis......

CS@SG

Who which reserve team/academic striker will be promoted?

Ah, I am sorry. I forgot that LGV is long gone.

prtk0811

Who which reserve team/academic striker will be promoted?

Ah, I am sorry. I forgot that LGV is long gone
Mkh can play as a striker, so can young and lingard and mata. AV on the wing and Fosu mensah on right side of defense.

PaulRich

I have no idea what to expect tonight..........I have a sneaking suspicion that a somewhat makeshift United line up might work in our favour.......

sunama

Baghdad Bob
:lol::lol::lol: That would be so funny! Is there a rule against having your players standing in line on the goal line?
Hehehe.
There is no rule. If you want to, you can line all 11 players, in a line, along the goal line.

The problem is that the opponent will eventually score a goal, above the heads of the players. :annoyed:
But, we could do something similar to that which Burnley or Stoke did and that is to have 2 banks of 4-5 players in very close proximity of the goal. The problem with this strategy is it makes it almost impossible to score a goal and because the ball is constantly near our goal area, it is only a matter of time that they are awarded a penalty OR they manage to scramble the ball into our net.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
As has been suggested, I feel Mourinho might relish this opportunity at going full "Mourinho" without facing any criticism. That said, if we find ourselves chasing the game at any point we're in trouble. Scoring first is the only way I see us getting through this.

prtk0811

As has been suggested, I feel Mourinho might relish this opportunity at going full "Mourinho" without facing any criticism. That said, if we find ourselves chasing the game at any point we're in trouble. Scoring first is the only way I see us getting through this.
This is also the opportunity For mourinho to go full Ferguson. Good old fashioned wingers AV down the right flank and Direct counterattacking MKh and Young/ lingrd as strikers of forwards.

prtk0811

Its time for Mourinho to go full Ferguson. We have seen a Shrewd Mourinho Defensively before, Its time Mourinho goes Shrewd Attacking wise.

CS@SG

Its time for Mourinho to go full Ferguson. We have seen a Shrewd Mourinho Defensively before, Its time Mourinho goes Shrewd Attacking wise.
It is too important a match for Jose to go attacking. Even if ManUtd win during full time, will be 1-0.

flappyjay

This is why you buy in the jan transfer window. Selling players and claiming no value in the transfer window cost SAF dearly at times.
Yeah but we sold midfielders and we have four striking options out. If we were short on midfield you would have a point

prtk0811

It is too important a match for Jose to go attacking. Even if ManUtd win during full time, will be 1-0.
We are Man utd and we care about winning and attacking way both. Chelsea aint gonna press high we have to counter attack them to break them. and with carrick herrera and pogba in midfield we have enough resources to win the ball back. If we add Fosu mensah in defense and free up AV for the wings We play the way we played under ferguson. Man utd's menatality rubs on mourinho Mourinho's former defensive mentality dont rub on man united. We need to go for the Throat and take a decisive lead in the game early on and control rest of the game. An open game suits us the best because we cant beat chelsea at their own game of sitting back and waiting for the moment.

Every game is important But so is the Man united identity.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I'm actually quite excited to see Fellaini up top.

Would be uber trolling if he actually scores.

CS@SG

We are Man utd and we care about winning and attacking way both. Chelsea aint gonna press high we have to counter attack them to break them. and with carrick herrera and pogba in midfield we have enough resources to win the ball back. If we add Fosu mensah in defense and free up AV for the wings We play the way we played under ferguson. Man utd's menatality rubs on mourinho Mourinho's former defensive mentality dont rub on man united. We need to go for the Throat and take a decisive lead in the game early on and control rest of the game. An open game suits us the best because we cant beat chelsea at their own game of sitting back and waiting for the moment.

Every game is important But so is the Man united identity.
Really? Let's see.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's time to finally see Jose' famous Park the A380 tactics, 0-0 AET and win it on PK. :drool:

red4ever 79

Woke up to this news. Well it is pretty straight forward then. Afro man up top supported by pace. I heard Miki also had a knock

Carrick
Herrera Pogba
Lingard Miki Mata
Afro

prtk0811

It's time to finally see Jose' famous Park the A380 tactics, 0-0 AET and win it on PK. :drool:
United never park the bus and never will. We go Full ferguson Tonight and take the game to them.

Z_Wolf

Dave
Valencia Bailly Rojo Blind
Herrera Carrick Pogba
Mata Lingard Mkhitaryan

This should be the team for tonight. As long as Smalling doesn't play we have a chance.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I didn't fancy our chances when we were at full strength. Without Martial Ibra and Rashford, it would quite the upset for us to win this.

kps88

I hate to break this to you but Fergie also parked the bus on occasion when necessary to get a result. We also played about 8 defenders against Arsenal once and that was a great match.
Yeah we did it plenty of times, particularly in Europe, but that Arsenal match isn't a good example. We did play a few defenders in midfield but that was more SAF resting players during a busy period. The match itself was very open and high energy. In no way was that parking the bus.

prtk0811

I hate to break this to you but Fergie also parked the bus on occasion when necessary to get a result. We also played about 8 defenders against Arsenal once and that was a great match.
Against the team who controlled most of the ball and played the Posession game Because Fergie never played the Posession game like pep Lvg or manchini. Not against a team who themselves sit back and wait for the moment. Ferguson's team midfielders dint press high to win the ball back with aging midfielders in scholes and carrick , But this team coached under lvg dynamics since last two seasons is capabale of it with herrera and pogba and carrick sitting deep and controlling the game on posession, and capable of controlling the counter attacks like we did against liverpool away, we just lacked the counter attacking players that day. Not to mention Livepool themselves Play on Posession with Hight tempo Passing and high Workrate and not on Counter attack with a defensive block.We should press high and suffocate chelsea in midfield and use the wings to break them in counter attacking dynamics.

Last edited: