Martial + Rooney injured, Zlatan suspended - RASHFORD STARTS

Devil may care

In truth I don't see the need for all these whacky line-ups, I never expected Rashford or Martial to start anyway, so basically just plug Mkhi into the striker role and play Mata and Lingard either side, the movement between the 3 should be very good. The midfield should still be Carrick, Herrera and Pogba, not sure why Carrick is not in these line-ups.

Giggs86

I was optimistic, hoping for us to cause an upset at the Bridge. Now i'm pretty sure we're fecked.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Like someone mentioned, this could be a blessing in disguise for Jose. Finally gets to play how HE wants to and not how Utd fans expect. I think he'll win with his 'style' too. Fellaini is a useful foil up front and a 4-5-1 defensive long ball formation is the way to beat Chelsea as long as you have enough decent ball players too (Micky, Mata, Herrera and Pogba).

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We are completely fecked now. Fellaini upfront and Lingard on the wing. Horrible.

Could we not have Mata on the wing and Pogba down the middle? Then Carrick and Herrera holding.

lsd

The Oracle
Fellaini hat trick all set up by Lingard no problems at all that i can see

RedMaestro

No room for Mata in there?
As much as I hate to say it - no. But there has to be someone who can be used as a sub that can make a difference. Something Mata's been good at.

Don't forget that this can go to extra time. If so a fourth sub can be used. Not that many choices for Mourinho.

Was shocked when I Heard this about the strikers. I'm almost thinking it's something Mourinho "made up" just to have an excuse for a potential loss against Chelsea. And if they win - even better for the team's morale if they can win without Ibra, Rashford, Martial and even Rooney.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Important to note that any injuries during the game will be disastrous as we won't have any attacking options on the bench plus the game could go to extra time and there will be tired legs.
It wouldn't go to extra time it'd go to a replay.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
In truth I don't see the need for all these whacky line-ups, I never expected Rashford or Martial to start anyway, so basically just plug Mkhi into the striker role and play Mata and Lingard either side, the movement between the 3 should be very good. The midfield should still be Carrick, Herrera and Pogba, not sure why Carrick is not in these line-ups.
I had both Rashford and Martial in my prediction, and Carrick was out because of the way he can't deal with pressing and Kanté is a machine at that. I really comes of what you make of the Rostov experience: just because of the pitch or was Mourinho trying something there?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
And you can bet Chelsea are at full stength like always :rolleyes:
We are indeed! :D

Now I'm actually more nervous for this than I was before. Would be embarrassing to lose this at home when you've got so many injuries.

Kazi

If it's Mkhi up front (which it won't be), he'd be playing as a striker, not a false-9. Anyway, I think it'll be Rashford if fit, otherwise Fellaini.

RedMaestro

If it's Mkhi up front (which it won't be), he'd be playing as a striker, not a false-9. Anyway, I think it'll be Rashford if fit, otherwise Fellaini.
Feels like a "classic" park the bus tactics and hope Chelsea will make mistakes.

dichinero

Any center forwards in the academy who can play? Otherwise I'd go 3-5-2 and use Ashley Young with Mkhitaryan upfront.

Young Mkhitaryan
Blind Pogba Herrera Valencia
Carrick
Rojo Jones Bailly
deGea​
Prefer this to seeing Fellaini in the line up against Chelsea

dichinero

Any center forwards in the academy who can play? Otherwise I'd go 3-5-2 and use Ashley Young with Mkhitaryan upfront.

Young Mkhitaryan
Blind Pogba Herrera Valencia
Carrick
Rojo Jones Bailly
deGea​
Prefer this to seeing Fellaini in the line up against Chelsea

Zoo

Like someone mentioned, this could be a blessing in disguise for Jose. Finally gets to play how HE wants to and not how Utd fans expect. I think he'll win with his 'style' too. Fellaini is a useful foil up front and a 4-5-1 defensive long ball formation is the way to beat Chelsea as long as you have enough decent ball players too (Micky, Mata, Herrera and Pogba).
We have no available striker and Fellaini is certainly not one. This has nothing to do with the style Mourinho prefers.

RedMaestro

But if Mourinho would use both Mkhi and Mata in the starting line up, who would he use as a potential sub? No "game changer"...

buckooo1978

will be some craic when Rashford and Martial appear on the teamsheet tomorrow night

would you be surprised?

RedMaestro

will be some craic when Rashford and Martial appear on the teamsheet tomorrow night

would you be surprised?
Yes, I would. This is "only" the FA-Cup and not that important. If they have the slightest signs of illness or injury I hope they'll be "saved" for the upcoming League games played without Ibra and the Europa League against Rostov.

PogbaUnited

If so, then we're fecked. Chelsea are fresh legged and we can barely stick a offensive together.

But therefore, I hope:

de Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Shaw
Herrera - Carrick - Pogba
Mata - Fellaini - Mkhitaryan

That's the best, we can do.

If we just had van Gaal, he would have take a young striker from the academy and give him some minutes, but we all know that Mourinho would rather die than use a unexperience player.

PoTMS

Convenient how all our strikers are out at the same time. Don't really care either as we would have probably lost with them playing anyway. Europa League is much more important.

jackofalltrades

Who do you think the penalty takers would be if we draw - Herrera, Carrick, Mata, Mkhi, and Pogba ?

worldinmotion66

You don't think Fellaini will play in the absence of Ibrahimovic? Chelsea have a few pretty decent attacking options at set pieces. If Fellaini doesn't play, I can pnly see Rojo at left back or in a back 3 to compensate.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
No more 1/4 final replays. They now go to extra time with option of a fourth sub.
Really? That's fantastically dumb seeing how easy it would be to have the quarter finals at neutral venues.

It makes a mockery of every round before where games have gone to replays.

buckooo1978

Yes, I would. This is "only" the FA-Cup and not that important. If they have the slightest signs of illness or injury I hope they'll be "saved" for the upcoming League games played without Ibra and the Europa League against Rostov.
i agree with you but it still wouldn't suprise me

it would suprise me for Mourinho to consider this only the FA cup esprcislly against the backdrop of our last visit to Chelsea and Mourinho being a sore loser

FA cup is the least of our priorities though

Gatti33

Rooney has gone down hill so much, I'd prefer Fellaini up front. Regular posters know I don't rate Fellaini in the slightest.
Agree with the above. Also Chelsea have looked vulnerable in the air so Fellaini up top isn't a bad shout. Let's just hope he plays like he when he played up top against us for Everton that first game of the season a few years ago!

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Fellaini is certainly the best chest receiver of the team, and that could be decisive, as we seen against Rostov, and he's also a pretty good header, so I could see him chesting or heading some of the Carrick and Pogba long balls.

DatGuyRich

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Rojo Shaw
Herrera Carrick
Mata Pogba Lingard
Mkhitaryan

Oscie

He didn't have a history of smuggling himself in laundry baskets before he did it.

3KDré

If so, then we're fecked. Chelsea are fresh legged and we can barely stick a offensive together.

But therefore, I hope:

de Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Shaw
Herrera - Carrick - Pogba
Mata - Fellaini - Mkhitaryan

That's the best, we can do.

If we just had van Gaal, he would have take a young striker from the academy and give him some minutes, but we all know that Mourinho would rather die than use a unexperience player.
Perhaps, but even in the academy there is no one. The U23s play with a midfielder as a striker and the u18s usually play a winger up there IIRC, or at least someone who isn't physically developed enough. Rashford was a different case because he was already pretty developed physically.

WhoDaGOAT

Miracles can happen... remember when this lot beat Arsenal 2-0. That midfield though.