Martin Ødegaard / signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that picture I really hope Klopp was just rubbing it in and laughing at him for going to Real for the money at 16 instead of getting proper development at another club.
Yeah, that was a bizzare choice. He was nowhere good enough, and just the cultural change from Drammen to Madrid for someone that young.

just4fun

Comparison with Bruno aside, Martin is truly great when fit and at his best. But all those injuries are kind of capsizing his career.

tomaldinho1

I just came back from Arsenal Mania and I see they don’t mind if he leaves next season, some of them are saying they can’t spend more than 30m on him.
I wonder if our fans below have changed their position or they still believe he is better or will be better than Bruno.
Why is my quote on there? I'm saying not to compare him and Bruno.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Yeah, that was a bizzare choice. He was nowhere good enough, and just the cultural change from Drammen to Madrid for someone that young.
Not really. He played 62 games at a decent level for Real Madrid B.

If he went to a PL he would have wasted his time playing U23

If he cant make the step up at Arsenal it's not because of lack of games so far in his career.

Polar

It’s time for him to move on.. RM isn’t the right place for him right now. I think a permanent move to Arsenal will suit him perfectly (style of play and right level).

Tallis

If he can keep his fitness (which is a big If), he can break into RMs team. It’s one of the weakest RM teams that I recall. He only has to get ahead of Asensio or Rodrygo or take over the Modric role (who is 35)

ryadmahrez

The guy can’t stay fit in his last 2 seasons. Whenever he gets in good form, he gets a knock and he is out of it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He frustrates me to no end because he's gotten into this annoying habit of playing the safe short pass and not attemting the wizardy he's shown he can do in Sociedad. He got all the tools he needs, but he's for whatever reason turned his game into one of safety and lack of risk.

I honestly think he would do a good job at West Ham or Aston Villa, clubs with no to little pressure yet are able to compete in the top half of the Premier League.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think he should stop running away and stay for a year, for better or for worse, to finally be able to see if he's worth it.
I no longer know if it is an adaptation problem or an anxiety issue.
If there were an audio of Florentino he would be saying that he has shitted himself.
With Kroos (injured six weeks) and without a substitute and with a very old Modric he should take a chance

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think he should stop running away and stay for a year, for better or for worse, to finally be able to see if he's worth it.
If there were an audio of Florentino he would be saying that he has shitted himself.
With Kroos (injured six weeks) and without a substitute and with a very old Modric he should take a chance
Old Modriç is still miles better, he barely impressed at Arsenal.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Old Modriç is still miles better, he barely impressed at Arsenal.
Of course, and it shows as soon as he is on the field, but seeing how limited the squad is, assuming that Luka will need a rest, he will not find a better scenario to get minutes.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Of course, and it shows as soon as he is on the field, but seeing how limited the squad is, assuming that Luka will need a rest, he will not find a better scenario to get minutes.
That should be true as well. Maybe Isco is still ahead of him in the pecking order?

Dve

I think there is more to it than getting game time or not. I don´t think Ødegaard thrives in Madrid, simple as.

TheNorwegian

Great news if he joins Arsenal again. He needs to play, and i think Arsenal is the perfect club for him.

OleBoiii

Perhaps chilling on the bench in Spain is better than sitting in a pool of shit in North London...

His career is stagnating at madrid

pity he didn’t go to Ajax or somewhere similar first
So many would have none of it, for years they told us there was nothing wrong with the move or that in some way he’d been proven right by being in the Madrid squad etc.Yet you can’t look at someone like Sancho or Bellingham and think they’d have been better off joining Madrid.
Always was a fecking stupid move based on publicity and he and his family getting giddy instead of getting smart and doing the best thing for his career.

Robbie Boy

Would be quite the summer for Arsenal if they end up spending £120m to £130m on White, Ramsdale and Odegaard :lol:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
So many would have none of it, for years they told us there was nothing wrong with the move or that in some way he’d been proven right by being in the Madrid squad etc.Yet you can’t look at someone like Sancho or Bellingham and think they’d have been better off joining Madrid.
Always was a fecking stupid move based on publicity and he and his family getting giddy instead of getting smart and doing the best thing for his career.
He's played everywhere except in Madrid, loaned out, so in practical terms it doesn't matter what club he signed for in the first place.

Anyway, he's a very good player and I wish him the best at Arsenal.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In the six months, he was at Arsenal, I didn't see anything.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Odegaard coming to play permanently in the PL makes me even more sure that Haaland will choose the PL too next transfer window :devil:

Halftrack

His career is stagnating at madrid

pity he didn’t go to Ajax or somewhere similar first
They basically bribed his family to secure his signature. His dad got a contract worth €3m to be assistant coach for the Real Madrid U11 team on the same day that the transfer was finalised.

Castia

I don’t think he even did that well at Arsenal did he? 50m is a lot of money for them I’m not sure he’s even worth it.

EngimaMK

They basically bribed his family to secure his signature. His dad got a contract worth €3m to be assistant coach for the Real Madrid U11 team on the same day that the transfer was finalised.
Stuff like that is disgusting. Unfortunately you hear about it lots in football. Instead of just encouraging your son to be the best he can and be happy to see his career develop, they get the £ signs in their eyes and start milking it for their own personal gain from day one.

The money involved in football has turned it into a truly grubby industry.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Well of course it does, cause like Sancho he’d have been part of a settled team/life/setup for years rather than here there and everywhere.
Your point is good, but let's not forget that Odegaard was seen as the best young player in La Liga for six months at Real Sociedad and picked lots of injuries the following 12 months. The progress he was having up to that point was good enough to think he could end up playing an important role at a top club in Europe so it cannot be said his progress was interrupted because of his initial decision many years ago.

Robbie Boy

Having watched a few games of his the last week, and la liga last year, i actually think he is a better footballer than Bruno. Not close to goal points yet, but I think I think he is better.
So kids, this is why you don't post with blind nationality bias. You will make terrible posts like the one above. Hope this was a good educational piece, brought to you by Robbie Boy.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Of course he is not as good as Bruno. But he MIGHT be. His potential is tremendous. I have followed his matches for 4 years. The thing is, he lacks the mentality of Bruno. He is kind of.. scared, maybe have struggled with the pressure from young age and should hire another mental coach like in Vitesse? But when he gets to play continuously and feels "at home" in the club, he tends to play on another level. Also, he has had his fair share of injuries. He was arguably the best player in LaLiga the half year before his jumpers knee injury. What he did in Arsenal is nothing compared to that period.

What I think is strange is that he seems to have stopped dribbling and shooting like he used to in Vitesse and Real Sociedad. I hope he starts taking more risks again.

I think him and Arsenal are a good fit. The playing style fits, and he is not good enough for the best clubs yet.

Time will show with Ødegaard but I have faith in that he will succeed.

DannyDee

Real should get cash for him now. They may regret it in the future if he breaks out, but I don't see it happening in Madrid. Should be a cautionary tale about making a move to a big club early on over programs that are more developmentally friendly.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Did he actually do anything at Arsenal?
He did ok most of the time just because his worst is still better than any of our midfielder, had one or two very good games and got injured. A good return from a loanee but 50M€ ?
If we could get Madrid to lower their price and get him for 30/35 then maybe. Wanted Maddison but he's starting to look injury prone with his hips issues. Moving to Arsenal would kill him...
It's getting hard to get excited about any names because we know that whoever we sign will get moulded into that inefficient and dull Arteta's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.