Martin Atkinson

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's probably best not to fall down to ground and curl up into a ball on your goal line whilst defending a corner in the first place, especially when you don't have a serious injury, then Atkinson wouldn't have a decision to make then.
Probably not. But it would nearly always work. Fair to criticise De Gea for it but he was very unlucky that the goal was allowed to happen.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I took your wording of that to be...

The league telling the ref

1. Don't blow, var will make the decision for you.

On the same hand telling var...

2. Only over rule if its clear and obvious.
I don’t know what the exact wording is but the principle is the same. Make the decision if you are 100% sure, if you’re wrong it will be corrected by VAR. Conversely if you don’t feel 100% sure, don’t call it and if you were wrong VAR will call it back and tell you to review it.

acnumber9

He didn’t need to give the pen live. His view was from behind so he let it go to VAR and gave it as per the guidelines.

I can’t believe I’m defending Atkinson but people really need to be more objective.
VAR isn’t to absolve refs of any decision making. It was blatant.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He didn’t need to give the pen live. His view was from behind so he let it go to VAR and gave it as per the guidelines.

I can’t believe I’m defending Atkinson but people really need to be more objective.
Prat.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t know what the exact wording is but the principle is the same. Make the decision if you are 100% sure, if you’re wrong it will be corrected by VAR. Conversely if you don’t feel 100% sure, don’t call it and if you were wrong VAR will call it back and tell you to review it.
You sure about that?

That's the way offside calls are supposed to work. But for penalties the process is based off the idea of there being a clear and obvious error with the referee's initial decision. In which case not calling the penalty becomes as firm a decision as calling it.

VAR can't just make a call on it as they would with offside (which is an objective decision), they can only call him back if he's made a definite mistake. So if he's 70% sure it's a penalty but decides not to give it, the decision can then only be overturned if VAR are 95% sure it is one. The referee can't just say "I'm not sure" and leave it up to VAR, he has to make a call and that call carries heavy weight as the VAR make their decision off his initial one. So he should just be making the call he thinks is correct, not letting it slide if he thinks it's a penalty because VAR will catch it.

Rossa

No, you are being far too kind to that dirtbag. Atkinson didn't give the pen. He was a coward or completely incapable of viewing a blatant penalty. The fact that VAR overturned it as a clear and obvious mistake says it all - that rarely happens. We all know we cannot count on VAR to overturning refs decisions.

SER19

No words left for this guy. What he did to Ronaldo earlier in season, then ignoring that pen tonight.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If you know Leeds fans, this is exactly how they would referee our games.

arnie_ni

You sure about that?

That's the way offside calls are supposed to work. But for penalties the process is based off the idea of there being a clear and obvious error with the referee's initial decision. In which case not calling the penalty becomes as firm a decision as calling it.

VAR can't just call him back to review it as they would with an offside (which is an objective decision), they can only call him back if he's made a definite mistake. So if he's 70% sure it's a penalty but decides not to give it, the penalty then can only be overturned if VAR are 95% sure it isn't one. The referee can't just say "I'm not sure" and leave it up to VAR, he has to make a call and that call carries heavy weight. So he should just be making the call he thinks is correct, not letting it slide if he thinks it's a penalty because VAR will catch it.
That's exactly my thoughts with that line of thinking.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Could see the heartbreak in his eyes when he knew he had to give the pen.

pablo__p

You surely can't be that incompetent if you are a professional referee (let alone working in PL).

lsd

The Oracle
The amount of crying over a penalty that he actually gave when getting a clear view of the incident:rolleyes:

Oranges038

Rubbish referee.

No way he was giving that penalty unless he was forced to.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

It was as blatant as they come in terms of a penalty.

Everyone in the ground could see it was a pen, ridiculous not to give it live.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Penalty looked clear as day from the TV angle in real time. Not sure where he was standing, but I suppose if he was directly behind both Smith Rowe and Fred, it might have been difficult to spot who got their foot to the ball first. But if he's at any kind of angle, then it should be clear.

crossy1686

career ending
Penalty looked clear as day from the TV angle in real time. Not sure where he was standing, but I suppose if he was directly behind both Smith Rowe and Fred, it might have been difficult to spot who got their foot to the ball first. But if he's at any kind of angle, then it should be clear.
Does it matter? He came through the back of him?

Fluctuation0161

No it's not, De Gea looked perfectly fine 1 minute after the goal, so it didn't hurt as bad as he simulated it. Hence he tried to act injured so the play would stop, it back-fired for him.
He's also lucky var saved his incompetence blushes for Fred's penalty too.

Absolute joke of a ref.

lsd

The Oracle
He waved his arms and said "no penalty". It was only when VAR made him go and look he did, he was pretty adamant Fred wasn't fouled.

Which shows he didn't think it was a penalty from his point of view as he probably doesn't have super vision to scan 360 degrees around the area.

When he got the call to look at it he gave it which he doesn't have to do

Hawks2008

God this guy is a cnut. To be incompetent and not give that pen is one thing, but the smugness in his face and stance when he called off the foul was infuriating.

crossy1686

career ending
Which shows he didn't think it was a penalty from his point of view as he probably doesn't have super vision to scan 360 degrees around the area.

He's the only person in Old Trafford that thought it wasn't a penalty in that case, even the Arsenal fans went silent.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The amount of crying over a penalty that he actually gave when getting a clear view of the incident:rolleyes:
He didn't just actually give it though. He said 'no' and VAR told him to have another look.

Baneofthegame

He got the call because it’s a clear and obvious error, which he had a view of, unless he thought Odegaard got the ball through the back of Fred?

crossy1686

career ending
Maguire just said he blew his whistle before the ball crossed the line, Atkinson even said that to be true. Then the goal was given? Seriously?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The absolute smugness on him whenever he denies a penalty claim away. 2 at West Ham, 1 today.

Hope he never referees a game for us.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Their first goal was an total farce of course, but what got me was the absolute fecking front on him to wave away the world's most obvious penalty with such dismissal and confidence.

Absolute wanker.

Ananke

the absolute fecking front on him to wave away the world's most obvious penalty with such dismissal and confidence.

Absolute wanker.
That’s what I found a disgrace. Dismissed it instantly, Fred barely hit the ground before he dismissed it :lol: