Martin Keown (and friends) vs Ruud van Nistelrooy incident...

Green_Red

Just horrendous carry on. We could easily have won that game only for that...

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It feels like many people are basing opinions on the limited video in this thread. There was the typical fisticuffs and united guys got involved, rvn scored a hat trick the following week and we all know what happened the next season.
I was at the game....it was definitely weird, seemed as if we didn't really mind.

Moriarty

Contrast that with what happened with Cantona at Palace. Ince ran over to help and a couple of others too. Then there's the 1990-91 incident:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was at the game....it was definitely weird, seemed as if we didn't really mind.
You would have thought it would have sparked a mass brawl with red cards being dished out left and right.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Anyway, speaking of fighting on the pitch, this is the only ‘proper one’, other than Dyer and Bowyer I can remember in the last 20 years or so.

The commentary is absolutely decking brilliant for this one too!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
And they got away with pretty much nothing but a slap on the wrist.

I fecking hated that team with a fiery passion. I even wanted Liverpool to beat them, always, though I am somewhat ashamed of that. They were a nasty, thuggish, diving, cheating bunch of shitheads who always claimed the moral high ground.
Nothing wrong with that. Stick Liverpool's side under any badge and I would have no issue with them bar maybe Lovren being full of himself.

That Arsenal side though... I was standing there screaming bloody murder and looking out for someone who would deck them.

PS: we did end their invincibles run though. Sweet :drool:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Then there’s the great Valencia vs Inter brawl in the CL, which was a proper fight with broken noses and all. UEFA bans galore! Can’t find a proper video of it though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nothing wrong with that. Stick Liverpool's side under any badge and I would have no issue with them bar maybe Lovren being full of himself.

That Arsenal side though... I was standing there screaming bloody murder and looking out for someone who would deck them.

PS: we did end their invincibles run though. Sweet :drool:
Surely dirty Mane, Hendo, Milner are all instantly dislikable characters?
Then Salah with his dirty angel routine with the diving, Firmino is very slappable, and even the non descript left back is starting to irritate me now too :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Surely dirty Mane, Hendo, Milner are all instantly dislikable characters?
Then Salah with his dirty angel routine with the diving, Firmino is very slappable, and even the non descript left back is starting to irritate me now too :lol:
My dislike for them emerges from them being there, or at City before with Milner. That's that.

With these guys it was the opposite. Never had an issue with Arsenal, still don't, it was the players that grated me. Last guy they had with that streak was Fabregas I think.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I must confess but, 15 years on, I still can’t get over this incident. To have the sheer temerity to attack one of our players in that manner, in our own home, and basically run him off the pitch. I can’t think of a single worse incident of this kind, and ultimately, one that they were allowed to do without what proper retaliation from our lads.

Every time I see that clip it still enrages me that we did nothing at the time.
I Was 15 at the time at that bleep shook me up man. It seemed so freaking sinister and you right, it's a disgrace we let that happen to Ruud. Maybe Ruud just wasn't that popular as a lad within the squad and our side was also scared of those thugs.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Can't begin to imagine the melee that would have evolved had that occurred to a player in the 93-94 side. Also a shame the likes of Irwin and Stam were long gone.

Northstand

I Was 15 at the time at that bleep shook me up man. It seemed so freaking sinister and you right, it's a disgrace we let that happen to Ruud. Maybe Ruud just wasn't that popular as a lad within the squad and our side was also scared of those thugs.
Odd thing to say considering the received wisdom was that United bullied Arsenal for much of that period.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't begin to imagine the melee that would have evolved had that occurred to a player in the 93-94 side. Also a shame the likes of Irwin and Stam were long gone.
Irwin? The gentleman of the team?

Dominos

Anyway, speaking of fighting on the pitch, this is the only ‘proper one’, other than Dyer and Bowyer I can remember in the last 20 years or so.

The commentary is absolutely decking brilliant for this one too!
I can't fathom what they were attempting in that flurry after the first punch landed, it looked like they were attempting to slap each other? I get 2 non-trained blokes fighting generally looks pretty sloppy, but that was some bizarre stuff.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can't fathom what they were attempting in that flurry after the first punch landed, it looked like they were attempting to slap each other? I get 2 non-trained blokes fighting generally looks pretty sloppy, but that was some bizarre stuff.
It was an awful fight from a technical perspective. That said, I’ve never seen that kind of intent even on a pitch. Usually it’s pushing or shirt grabbing at best. These two are swinging. And the commentary nails it!

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
The 04/05 game at Old Trafford seemed to break Reyes. I remember the arguments over who would have the better career between him and Ronaldo but he never reached the same level as when he first broke onto the scene in England, in many ways, and despite Arsenal somehow winning the FA Cup that season, that match ended the all-swaggering dominant Arsenal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The 04/05 game at Old Trafford seemed to break Reyes. I remember the arguments over who would have the better career between him and Ronaldo but he never reached the same level as when he first broke onto the scene in England, in many ways, and despite Arsenal somehow winning the FA Cup that season, that match ended the all-swaggering dominant Arsenal.
That FA Cup win of theirs in 2005 was one of the great injustices in recent times! How we didn’t win that 4-0 is a mystery.

Irwin99

Just horrendous carry on. We could easily have won that game only for that...
It was a very dull game but we probably just shaded it even before the penalty incident. Giggs hit the post early in the first half. In fact it's weird that the Invincibles didn't beat us once in a competitive game despite being the better side.

It wasn't just that game. He must have hated playing us

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It still annoys me to no end that Arsenal's unbeaten run wouldn't have existed were it not for Ruud's uncharacteristic miss.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Found the video. Ronaldo and Keane did seem to be the first to react from our side. Incident is at 2:30

Aye I don't get what @Rozay is talking about at all. You can see initially Van Nistelrooy is pretty isolated from the players' finishing positions on the pitch, then you can see our players run in to protect Ruud as soon as things kick off with Keane guarding him off the pitch, Gary Neville even runs in to start shoving Keown about at 2.40.

Denis' cuff

Big Dunc would hold Vinnie up one handed by the Bollox and give him a big sloppy kiss nah... he’d just clatter him and he wouldn’t get up.

Arsenal: biggest mard arsed, entitled brats who should’ve got nowhere near 49. Beaten at Portsmouth until the referee was the only person in the world to think pires contriving to wrap himself around a defender and fall over constituted a penalty. Of course, the media Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime were falling over themselves to will it to happen, even more than now hoping Liverpool finally win a PL title.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I must say that despite my indignation towards the Keown incident, I have always been equally uncomfortable with the next home game in question when we ended their unbeaten run. Think the game showed that they were the better team, and we couldn’t compete with them on a footballing level so had to kick them in order to level the playing field.
I don't agree as we outplayed them thoroughly that season in both games, especially the away game. I think the tackles were pure acts of vengeance.

Kopral Jono

That game broke Wenger's Arsenal and they haven't properly recovered from it to this day.

spwd

I must confess but, 15 years on, I still can’t get over this incident. To have the sheer temerity to attack one of our players in that manner, in our own home, and basically run him off the pitch. I can’t think of a single worse incident of this kind, and ultimately, one that they were allowed to do without what proper retaliation from our lads.

Every time I see that clip it still enrages me that we did nothing at the time.
I’m the same, I was behind the goal for the game and when it all happened I’m positive and still remember it clearly that at one point Lehmann was back in his goal and basically just threw himself to the ground with absolutely nobody anywhere near him, that’s why I can’t get over it because it was ridiculous.

I don’t know if there’s any footage but it’s never been mentioned anywhere as monkey man took all my the attention, does anyone else remember it?

Bobski

I miss the edge that rivalry had. Peak PL era for me, strong characters and great players on both teams, nightmare for the refs with how volatile it could become.

The 4-2 at Highbury gets a lot of attention, rightly so, but the 2-2 a couple of years before was one of the most tense games I have experienced as a Utd fan.

Bobski

Well the City team of last season were almost certainly the best in PL history to be fair. At least a strong enough argument so as to not be dismissed as ‘media narrative’.
Is the Liverpool run not putting City a little more in perspective? On course to get near 100 points this year, is this just the new normal for the PL where the plethora of trash teams in the bottom 12 just allows good teams to put up inflated numbers?

RedCurry

Relax guys, we beat them 8-2. When you put “arsenal Man Utd” in google, it shows 8-2. That’s history.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I like the video of Keown talking about the time he intimidated Sir Alex to stop him putting pressure on a referee, and Rio and Lampard who were the other pundits in the studio openly laugh at him.
There you go - :lol: