Mary Earps | asks club "what they're trying to achieve"

BabySinclair

Mary Earps tells Sky Sports that she’s seeking “confirmation” of Man Utd’s project as contract talks continue - no decision made yet. She also spoke openly about taking a lot of criticism this season amid disappointing results while her future has been unresolved.

️ “The honest reality is [contract] conversations are still ongoing. I’ve been clear that I don’t want to make an emotional decision. The beginning of the season was really tough. I felt really about things that were being said about me that weren’t true. But I’ve tried to be professional and keep my head down, work hard and get on with my job. I think I’ve been punching bag at times and I’ve tried to shoulder that responsibility of the team and where we’ve fallen short this season. I think that’s what you should do as a leader and more experienced player. You have to stand up in those moments and give everything, and I know I’ve given my heart and soul for the whole season. I’ve asked the club for some confirmation on what they’re trying to achieve and when I have those answers, I’ll be able to make a decision.”

This will be interesting.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Mary Earps tells Sky Sports that she’s seeking “confirmation” of Man Utd’s project as contract talks continue - no decision made yet. She also spoke openly about taking a lot of criticism this season amid disappointing results while her future has been unresolved.

️ “The honest reality is [contract] conversations are still ongoing. I’ve been clear that I don’t want to make an emotional decision. The beginning of the season was really tough. I felt really about things that were being said about me that weren’t true. But I’ve tried to be professional and keep my head down, work hard and get on with my job. I think I’ve been punching bag at times and I’ve tried to shoulder that responsibility of the team and where we’ve fallen short this season. I think that’s what you should do as a leader and more experienced player. You have to stand up in those moments and give everything, and I know I’ve given my heart and soul for the whole season. I’ve asked the club for some confirmation on what they’re trying to achieve and when I have those answers, I’ll be able to make a decision.”

This will be interesting.
Good job our new part-owner can point out how many games he's shown up to support them as proof of his commitment. Hopefully our director of women's football can give a convincing account of the ambitious summer plans that we definitely have. And Skinner can tell her that he's evidence of the extent to which we aim for the best.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I was critical of her last season but good on her to call the club out about what their plans are. We seem to be going nowhere

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
This is true, but we are in the middle of a club-wide leadership change.
We know and we know why the women's team are likely to be low on the priority list.

That doesn't affect Mary Earps though. She's just one player and she's looking for what might be her last major contract. She wants to know if it's going to be worth playing for United in the next couple of years - obviously the money will matter, but I think she'd like to win things as well. Based on last year - United weren't highly ranked for either.

The issue for the women's team is that contracts are short (2 years + maybe a one year option is standard). Last year we lost experienced, talented players partly because the Glazers already had the for sale sign up. This year there's a danger we'll do the same. That's a big chunk of the squad leaving on free transfers.

It doesn't help that we have a manager who struggles to integrate new players - particularly ones who come from abroad.

Oddly enough we bought Earps' intended replacement (Phallon Tullis Joyce) last summer. She's not played a minute in WSL or the WFA Cup.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Fair play, Mazza. If you go to a rival it’ll be hard to take, but fair play for calling out the club.

brian017

Sounds like she’d be open to staying if the club had a clear path of ambition which is a little encouraging, clearly most of the players want to stay but are let down by the club

top1whoisman

Scout
Sounds like she’d be open to staying if the club had a clear path of ambition which is a little encouraging, clearly most of the players want to stay but are let down by the club
That could be the case if these comments were said when she had at least a year left on her contract. Most top clubs in the world would probably be interested in signing her. They can get her for free and offer a lot more in wages.

AndySmith1990

I think all players and fans alike have been asking the same question for years. United and ambition in the same sentence? You're having a laugh

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Earps is gone but glad she said that before she leaves. The club needs to wake up and show the slightest ambition to the women's team before Toone's contract expires. If she ends up leaving in the next couple of years that'll be the biggest indictment of the lot, and at this stage I wouldn't blame anyone who does want to go.

top1whoisman

Scout
Earps is gone but glad she said that before she leaves. The club needs to wake up and show the slightest ambition to the women's team before Toone's contract expires. If she ends up leaving in the next couple of years that'll be the biggest indictment of the lot, and at this stage I wouldn't blame anyone who does want to go.
Exactly, this is on the club. Said the same thing with the departures last summer. If we continue in this manner, we could permanently fall behind the likes of Liverpool, Villa and Spurs.

Such a shame as a year ago we had strong foundations to build on and properly make it a big four, challenging for the CL spots and perhaps even titles.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
That could be the case if these comments were said when she had at least a year left on her contract. Most top clubs in the world would probably be interested in signing her. They can get her for free and offer a lot more in wages.
They were interested before this season but they’re not so much now. Some of that will be her performances and age.

Arsenal have moved on. Roebuck is going to Barca. Chelsea were never interested and City have the next big thing in Keating. Lyon have Endler.

So she has to look at a tier below that and it’s probably PSG as I don’t think NWSL would work for her but you never know.

I think the only reason she’s even been talking to us this long is to drive up the wages from the other clubs, but her cache is a lot lower now than it was in September.

top1whoisman

Scout
They were interested before this season but they’re not so much now. Some of that will be her performances and age.

Arsenal have moved on. Roebuck is going to Barca. Chelsea were never interested and City have the next big thing in Keating. Lyon have Endler.

So she has to look at a tier below that and it’s probably PSG as I don’t think NWSL would work for her but you never know.

I think the only reason she’s even been talking to us this long is to drive up the wages from the other clubs, but her cache is a lot lower now than it was in September.
If some clubs were willing to pay half a million for her a year ago, I’m sure they’d jump at the chance of getting her for free.

I’m also sure she wouldn’t mind a ”tier below” PSG who have reached the CL semis three times in the last four years. Compared to the 5th best team in the WSL.

She struggled at the start of this season, but I wouldn’t say her reputation would have plummeted.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Going off track a bit, but when Arsenal offered us Stina Blackstenius and a fee for Russo should we have bitten their hands off? That is more me saying we are making some odd decisions.

caid

Our womens team and how its run continues to be pretty shameful. I support and like the players but were also rans with no ambition to be more. Any that can play for a better team frankly should.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Our womens team and how its run continues to be pretty shameful. I support and like the players but were also rans with no ambition to be more. Any that can play for a better team frankly should.
That is why I brought up in my post above about Russo. Blackstenius is a damn good player and would probably have given us Russo's goals, but we ran Russo contract down instead. We have done the same with Mary and Lucia and Nikita. Just seems very short sighted planning. Yet we gave an average manager a contract extension.

caid

That is why I brought up in my post above about Russo. Blackstenius is a damn good player and would probably have given us Russo's goals, but we ran Russo contract down instead. We have done the same with Mary and Lucia and Nikita. Just seems very short sighted planning. Yet we gave an average manager a contract extension.
Bluster. They'll act billy big bolox over selling to a 'rival' but they'll be too oblivious to Russo to extend her contract long before we reach that point.

Grande

This is ptobably necessary, as Casey Stoney showed. There is no acceptable reason why one should ‘wait’ with doing the right and necessary things for the women’s side because one is doing the basics for the men’s side. When it’s possible to hire all of CEO, DoF, Technical director and Head of recruitment for men in one summer, all the while simultaneously targetting new players, revising the manager position and negotiate contracts with current players, there is no reason why it should be possible to replace the Head of Eomen’s football Poly Bancroft, revise manager position, and negotiate for new and current players for the current players at the same time. If nothing is happening on the women’s side, it does say something about priority that I don’t find acceptable.

Scanny

Going off track a bit, but when Arsenal offered us Stina Blackstenius and a fee for Russo should we have bitten their hands off? That is more me saying we are making some odd decisions.
Exactly. Embarrassing that Arsenal ended up with Russo on a free and kept Blackstenius.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Exactly. Embarrassing that Arsenal ended up with Russo on a free and kept Blackstenius.
As a marker - to remind Arsenal and others that we aren't stepping stones and to show we had ambition - that decision was fine.

The fact that it wasn't followed up by an actual contract renewal just made us look like mugs. We'd made the grand gesture and done nothing to actually address the problem.

In terms of transfers in, we've been paying fees (including some high fees) for players we didn't subsequently use. Why? Meanwhile we've got regular starters who can leave on frees this summer.

Even if you believe (as I do) that we need to strengthen the starting lineup there's no value in losing players like Garcia, Earps and maybe even Zelem for free.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
As a marker - to remind Arsenal and others that we aren't stepping stones and to show we had ambition - that decision was fine.

The fact that it wasn't followed up by an actual contract renewal just made us look like mugs. We'd made the grand gesture and done nothing to actually address the problem.

In terms of transfers in, we've been paying fees (including some high fees) for players we didn't subsequently use. Why? Meanwhile we've got regular starters who can leave on frees this summer.

Even if you believe (as I do) that we need to strengthen the starting lineup there's no value in losing players like Garcia, Earps and maybe even Zelem for free.
Fully agree. Can't even really use the "young and learning" excuse any more - Stoney called the club out over 3 years ago now and this amateurish stuff remains the norm. Would be one thing if we could just write it off as the usual Glazer malpractice, but nothing I've seen so far from the new lot seems any different - a lack of interest beyond bare acknowledgement. Maybe they'll throw in some money at signings again as "proof" they're invested with the fundamental issues remaining.

caid

Aw man. I like watching her so much, that would be a kick in the teeth.