Mary Earps | wins BBC Sport Personality of the Year

klayton88

She lost two finals. The award has lost all value imo. It's woke bullshit.

SER19

Every single year somebody wins, there is criticism. It is very rarely a unanimous winner. If people want equality then they have to accept the difference in opinions that range across the board. Personally I think its absolutely absurd that for two years in a row the winner has been from a sport of such a poor standard. People might not like to hear it, but it just feels like yet another attempt to elevate womens football and the esteem of it, rather than it being awarded on merit.

If England had won the euros versus italy for example, Jordan Pickford would absolutely not have won the award. A goalkeeper in a losing team, in a very poor sport, is a crazy call, given the level of achievement and skill of some other candidates.

But really, it's the bbc, and you wouldnt expect much else.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
She's more in the media than second place and third place combined. Cricket and Athletics don't get the air time or the media time football gets.
Fact is, the BBC can afford women's football and had a clear run at the women's world cup in the summer - which despite the broadcasting times got decent audiences.

Test cricket hasn't been live on BBC for years. Broad means more to Sky subscribers than the general public.

The British viewing public in general don't pay much attention to athletics unless it's the Olympics - again a live on BBC event. Even the world championships doesn't have much impact on the general population.

BBC voters voted for stuff they remember and mostly they remember the big live events on the BBC.

klsv

Are some here unironically using the term "woke" or is it just banter flying over my head?

klayton88

Fact is, the BBC can afford women's football and had a clear run at the women's world cup in the summer - which despite the broadcasting times got decent audiences.

Test cricket hasn't been live on BBC for years. Broad means more to Sky subscribers than the general public.

The British viewing public in general don't pay much attention to athletics unless it's the Olympics - again a live on BBC event. Even the world championships doesn't have much impact on the general population.

BBC voters voted for stuff they remember and mostly they remember the big live events on the BBC.
Which is my point as to how Earps got the votes over KJT or Broad who achieved more imo.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Every single year somebody wins, there is criticism. It is very rarely a unanimous winner. If people want equality then they have to accept the difference in opinions that range across the board. Personally I think its absolutely absurd that for two years in a row the winner has been from a sport of such a poor standard. People might not like to hear it, but it just feels like yet another attempt to elevate womens football and the esteem of it, rather than it being awarded on merit.

If England had won the euros versus italy for example, Jordan Pickford would absolutely not have won the award. A goalkeeper in a losing team, in a very poor sport, is a crazy call, given the level of achievement and skill of some other candidates.

But really, it's the bbc, and you wouldnt expect much else.
You do realise it's a public vote, right?
Its not the BBC who choose - perhaps you will realise there is more interest and support for Women's Football than you think

Pickford is not an integral part of the Men's team so it's not a good comparison (Kane will surely win this award if England blokes can replicate what the women have done) - Earps is officially the best keeper in the world and Top5 Ballon D'or, rare for a keeper to have this kind of profile in Mens or Women's game. I can only remember Buffon getting similar in recent times.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Which is my point as to how Earps got the votes over KJT or Broad who achieved more imo.
BBC voters voted on events they saw on the BBC, if KJT and SB had done their work on the BBC they might have fared better

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

RORY65

BBC voters voted on events they saw on the BBC, if KJT and SB had done their work on the BBC they might have fared better
KJT's main work, winning the World Championships, was on the BBC while Stuart Broad was part of a team that didn't win the Ashes. It was just a relatively weak year for British sports people which happens semi-regularly if you look at previous winners.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
KJT's main work, winning the World Championships, was on the BBC while Stuart Broad was part of a team that didn't win the Ashes. It was just a relatively weak year for British sports people which happens semi-regularly if you look at previous winners.
Everyone knows the Brits only notice athletics during the Olympics, it's like gymnastics and swimming...

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Are some here unironically using the term "woke" or is it just banter flying over my head?
I think the first mention was a joke, then someone else took it seriously and agreed with the sentiment

But you never know on here

best not be sarcastic on the internet as inevitably someone won't realise

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It's interesting to look back at the past wins by United players. David Beckham won it in 2001 - not during our treble year. An award for a memorable freekick for England against Greece in the group match that got us into the World Cup? It was a kind of national vindication and forgiveness story after the abuse he got following the Simeone incident at the previous WC.

Ryan Giggs got it in 2009, not the previous year when we won the EC/PL double. Like the PFA award he got the same year it felt like football had finally noticed that he'd been taken for granted over the years. A bit like the acting old timer finally getting an Oscar before he retires. Of course, Giggs played for another a few years and picked up a couple more PL trophies before he retired...

Grande

No it hasn't.
I don’t know if you want to split hairs, but she has helped Man Utd to their best ever league position, winning the Golden Glove and setting a league record for clean sheets. She has helped England to their best ever WC position, winning also that Golden Glove, being named best keeper of the WC. She was placed 6th in the Ballon d’Or, the highest placement for a goalkeeper ever in that context. All her colleagues almost unanimously have lauded her for er extremely helpful and demanding personality. I don’t see how that isn’t a pretty phenomenal year for a goalkeeper.

SER19

But really it's BBC viewers voting for people they've seen performing in big events on the BBC.

You can call it crazy but it's not the BBCs fault that their viewers like some sports and some performers more than others.
Its not the BBC who choose - perhaps you will realise there is more interest and support for Women's Football than you think

Pickford is not an integral part of the Men's team so it's not a good comparison (Kane will surely win this award if England blokes can replicate what the women have done) - Earps is officially the best keeper in the world and Top5 Ballon D'or, rare for a keeper to have this kind of profile in Mens or Women's game. I can only remember Buffon getting similar in recent times.

She shouldn't even be on the shortlist to be honest, but that aside it's pretty clear there's a sort of activist movement drummed up behind earps since the nike thing and yes the demographic of BBC viewers who will vote are very likely to be the people caught up in it. Its why someone like osullivan will never win.

Anyway, whatever the means, its a ridiculous winner and undermines the award but its not an especially consequential award anyway.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
So as far as I can tell, people are annoyed that an award for the most popular sporting figure was given to the sporting figure that received the most votes from the public? How normal.

lsd

The Oracle
So as far as I can tell, people are annoyed that an award for the most popular sporting figure was given to the sporting figure that received the most votes from the public? How normal.

I always find it more interesting when the winner is from a sport that BBC has exclusive rights too.

Pughnichi

I am no fan of Pickford but to suggest he isn’t integral to the England team is nonsense. He’s probably the first name on the team sheet and has been for a good number of years.

I think an earlier poster mentioned that it’s not really a public vote. It’s a BBC audience vote. An audience which has been decreasing year on year since 2015.

if you’re serious about watching sports on a regularly basis, you aint watching the beeb

I find it amusing that some continue to compare the men’s and women’s game. Their abilities are worlds apart. A league 2 men’s team could probably beat a women’s national team. Indeed we’ve seen similar instances of this. Retired EPL players in their mid 50s have done it, a men’s university team, an u16 youth team has done it, a single elite player vs a full women’s team has done it…

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm not sure why people seem so bothered that a United player won something. Especially when posters also say it's a meaningless trophy voted for by people who don't watch sport.

I think people are having a conceptual problem - she's a woman, playing women's football. She's excellent at what she does as evidenced by her other awards this year. The voters enjoyed watching her play and maybe liked her style as well. Will another female player win it in the next few years - I guess it depends what happens next to women's football and to the England women's team in particular.

Presumably when Chris Hoy won in 2008 there were people who doubted that cycling was a spectator sport suitable for TV, turns out people must have carried on watching it and carried on paying attention to the participants as Cavendish, Wiggins and Thomas have won it since.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I have never been bothered about the BBC personality award so don't care who wins it but the obsession with Women's football and its quality needs to stop.

If I watched the women's 100m final I wouldn't compare it to the men's.

If I watched the Women's Wimbledon final I wouldn't compare it to the men's.

Women's swimming finals in the Olympics I wouldn't compare it to the men's.

Football needs to go the same way. Women play football, who cares what the standard is or if its as good as the men's game quality wise, it shouldn't even be a debate.