Mary Earps | wins BBC women's footballer of the year

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Unless we have a new keeper already lined up it's got to be a no from us. Baggaley would have to make a real leap to look like a strong replacement. Ramsey signed for Everton at the start of the window.

My first instincts are that Arsenal are windup merchants. Late offer for Russo in the January window. Now a late offer for Earps.

That said, we've been hearing rumours for months that Earps wanted to move on - so we may have someone lined up. Otherwise, it's got to be a straight no to Arsenal and their money.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No I have misread that article. Presume if it is Arsenal they have turned her head, but you would think if we did not leave things rather late at times we would be making her feel wanted. There is an article by the same writer saying we left it late with an offer for Battle, but I think to be honest she just wanted to go home.
I have a feeling the Greenwood situation didn't help, especially with the story about the women team linked to it during the world cup.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I have a feeling the Greenwood situation didn't help, especially with the story about the women team linked to it during the world cup.
Yeah agreed it didn't help but honestly I think it all comes down to investment in the women's team. We don't do it to the same level as other teams it seems.

RORY65

Yeah agreed it didn't help but honestly I think it all comes down to investment in the women's team. We don't do it to the same level as other teams it seems.
It was interesting that in the interviews after the last game of last season she didn't want to talk about the positives of the season but just kept emphasising how important investment in the team was at that stage. Since then she's seen Russo, presumably someone she is close to, and Batlle, the best player on the team and a key member of the defensive unit, leave and there are areas of the squad that still look a bit short with a few days left of the window.

I'm sure if she was offered enough money then it wouldn't be an issue but it's damning that clearly several key players don't see United as ambitious enough or a club where they can realistically win the biggest trophies.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
With all the shit coming out lately is it any wonder our female players wouldn't be happier elsewhere?

Can't say as I blame her really.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Unless we have a new keeper already lined up it's got to be a no from us. Baggaley would have to make a real leap to look like a strong replacement. Ramsey signed for Everton at the start of the window.

My first instincts are that Arsenal are windup merchants. Late offer for Russo in the January window. Now a late offer for Earps.

That said, we've been hearing rumours for months that Earps wanted to move on - so we may have someone lined up. Otherwise, it's got to be a straight no to Arsenal and their money.
Reliable people saying we're after Phallon Tullis-Joyce, so would seem we're pretty resigned to her going sooner or later. If we can get a level of replacement we're happy with then I'd say we should just make the switch rather than have the question hanging over everyone for the season.

Pretty depressing though given the distance she's come since she joined, particularly if it's about the way the club's behaved.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Losing both Russo and Earps to Arsenal in the same summer would be awful. I hope she stays. The more competitive teams we have in the league, the better.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Coming back with her tail between her legs after her beloved Arsenal was eliminated from the CL.

Ubik

Coming back from the World Cup and telling us she wants us to sell to a direct rival with less than a month left to get a replacement doesn't seem ideal.

Hopefully PTJ gets some decent game time and we feel confident enough in her to get some money in January.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What is it about Arsenal that's so enticing?

You are not guaranteed to win anything there (1 title in last decade), already out the CL, finished below us last season

I doubt it's just about money

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

You are not guaranteed to win anything there (1 title in last decade), already out the CL, finished below us last season

I see Arsenal Woman's team as United current men's team.
The most successful teams in their respective platforms, yet been on the downward trend for sometime (United men's more so admittedly).

Arsenal offer money, prestige and the opportunity to win and challenge for trophies.
United woman's can offer money and a potential challenge but with little prestige or history in the club.

rooneyberbatov

Money, top players, prestige (still the most successful club in England), London.

Ubik

I think there's a feeling we've been overachieving whilst they've been underachieving, certainly in relation to investment, and it'll return to the mean soon. As we've seen with the men's team, that is far from always the case. Behind the scenes we've been pretty chaotic as well, only brought in a head of women's football last year and there still seems to be a lot of work to do on how that fits into the overall club structure. With Arsenal, I'm pretty sure there's a Lioness factor as well.

Dan_F

Living in London is probably quite a big pull, especially if Arsenal look after them in terms of accommodation etc.

Easy to forget these women aren’t earning the kind of money where they can do whatever they want for the rest of their lives, although Russo is young enough that she might be heading that way.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If it was Chelsea I'd totally get it, but Arsenal seems a poor choice to me

I might be wrong but I don't think living in London is worth that much to a English player (possibly different for the likes of Russo as he family are down there). Manchester is a great city!

Not clear if Arsenal pay better than us, it's possible but I'd be disappointed if it was just about money

I do get that Arsenal Women are much better structured then us due to the histoy - this is probably a lot to do with it

Lightbringer

Cry us a river, Mary.
Coming back from the World Cup and telling us she wants us to sell to a direct rival with less than a month left to get a replacement doesn't seem ideal.

Hopefully PTJ gets some decent game time and we feel confident enough in her to get some money in January.
We have a new elite goaltender now, let Earps renovate the Cliff for the rest of the season. If she is moaning about being held "hostage" by United like many Arsenal fans are claiming I dont want her at the club at all! Time to show its United running the show and not the players! Should have asked for this transfer immediately after the season if she wanted to go, not that we should just do whatever she wants, but obviously she wants to CASH IN from the World cup performance and dont give a feck about United!

Earps has just turned herself from a club legend and fan favorite to something else....sighs.

Last edited:

Von Mistelroum

I keep seeing this post on here, and I haven't really watched any women's football that was recent. The bits I saw in the past usually looked really bad in terms of goalkeeping particularly, so this thread made me wonder how far things might have come.

When it says "best keeper in the world" I'm assuming that's relative, but is it? If we were to pop her into the men's team instead of Onana would we see a huge difference, or would she do ok?

Holocene

I keep seeing this post on here, and I haven't really watched any women's football that was recent. The bits I saw in the past usually looked really bad in terms of goalkeeping particularly, so this thread made me wonder how far things might have come.

When it says "best keeper in the world" I'm assuming that's relative, but is it? If we were to pop her into the men's team instead of Onana would we see a huge difference, or would she do ok?
Are you trolling?

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Huh? Is this a serious question bud?

RedRover

Money, top players, prestige (still the most successful club in England), London.
This is a double edged sword for women footballers. London is a great place to live if you're a millionaire. You can have a much better standard of living elsewhere on the money these players will be earning.

Von Mistelroum

Are you trolling?
Huh? Is this a serious question bud?
Why wouldn't it be serious? I'm assuming from this that it's a huge gap, but I actually wasn't sure if it would be. Why would everyone assume that it was trolling if I have no real frame of reference and see a statement like "best keeper in the world"? My (I thought) natural assumption was that maybe people thought this was a fact.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Why wouldn't it be serious? I'm assuming from this that it's a huge gap, but I actually wasn't sure if it would be. Why would everyone assume that it was trolling if I have no real frame of reference and see a statement like "best keeper in the world"? My (I thought) natural assumption was that maybe people thought this was a fact.
Yeah gap between mens and females football is quite big. As in most sports.

Grande

On recent form, I would out here somewhere between Onana and ter Stegen.

spiriticon

Zinsberger at Arsenal seems a pretty good keeper herself from the WC so I'd take a swap really.

Thiagoal

To me, she looks like a player that doesn’t want to be at United any more. Always moaning and shaking her head. It was a poor back pass for the third City goal but she could have kicked the ball into touch or dribbled past the attacker

Lightbringer

To me, she looks like a player that doesn’t want to be at United any more. Always moaning and shaking her head. It was a poor back pass for the third City goal but she could have kicked the ball into touch or dribbled past the attacker
QUOTE FROM EARPS ON PITCH: "WHAT THE feck! WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?"

Well, yes, try flicking the ball at any other side rather than kicking it straight into the attacker.