g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mash Report cancelled by the BBC

hobbers

Nish Kumar has always been painfully unfunny to be fair, regardless of how political he wants to be.

HIGNFY would be fine if they axed Merton and Hislop and replaced them with a couple of up-and-comers who actually had any sort of motivation to be funny.

luke511

The BBC and British TV in general has taken such a sharp dive over the last 5 years, anyone here not pay their TV license? I'm curious when they give up on all the bullshit warnings?

Smores

It was alright, watched it occasionally some segments were funny.

Frankie Boyle's show is far better but it wouldn't surprise me if they get rid of that as well. This will be the new direction of the BBC, they'll gut anything controversial.

NinjaFletch

I like Hislop. You're right about Merton though. He's happy with his £20k per episode cheque and has given up.
I like him well enough too. I try to read Private Eye when I remember it exists and think he's at least interesting. I just don't think he's funny, which works if everyone else is, but often they're not.

And when that happens the humour just descends to 'hahahha isn't Jacob Rees Mogg posh, listen to all the absurd things he genuinely believes what a riot'.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
BBC is about to have 100 million wiped of its annual budget for the next few years. I'd expect a lot of the lower viewing number shows that can't be sold overseas to be axed.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
And when that happens the humour just descends to 'hahahha isn't Jacob Rees Mogg posh, listen to all the absurd things he genuinely believes what a riot'.
Yeah, I stopped watching it 4/5 years ago for this very reason.

As for mash report, my sister and her housemates love it. I was a bit more on the fence, sometimes it'd be funny, most of the time not.

anyone here not pay their TV license? I'm curious when they give up on all the bullshit warnings?
Yeah...not for any moral reasons, we were just too poor growing up to justify the outlay.

The letters literally never stop. We got one a month like clockwork, always with vaguely threatening messages like 'WE CAN SEE YOU' (they can't), 'DO NOT IGNORE US' (we did), 'WE VISITED TODAY' (they didn't), '22ND APRIL - AN INSPECTOR WILL MAKE A HOME VISIT' (they didn't), 'A LOCAL INVESTIGATION IS TAKING PLACE' (it wasn't)

They always put the messages in big red writing on the outside of the envelope so your postman can see you're an urchin too.

I remember my dad used to go absolutely crazy if he came home and thought one of us kids were accidentally watching CBBC or something. He was convinced they could see us at all times. He used to ask next door to record Match Of The Day for us on VHS :lol:

At some point we just started watching it. Nobody ever came out...probably because we lived on a notoriously rough estate. Still got the letters every month.

luke511

Yeah...not for any moral reasons, we were just too poor growing up to justify the outlay.

The letters literally never stop. We got one a month like clockwork, always with vaguely threatening messages like 'WE CAN SEE YOU' (they can't), 'DO NOT IGNORE US' (we did), 'WE VISITED TODAY' (they didn't), '22ND APRIL - AN INSPECTOR WILL MAKE A HOME VISIT' (they didn't), 'A LOCAL INVESTIGATION IS TAKING PLACE' (it wasn't)

They always put the messages in big red writing on the outside of the envelope so your postman can see you're an urchin too.

I remember my dad used to go absolutely crazy if he came home and thought one of us kids were accidentally watching CBBC or something. He was convinced they could see us at all times. He used to ask next door to record Match Of The Day for us on VHS :lol:

At some point we just started watching it. Nobody ever came out...probably because we lived on a notoriously rough estate. Still got the letters every month.
Respect :lol: I look forward to the day the country decides to boycott the BBC and refuse the payments altogether.

lynchie

I saw someone describe it as a TV show that only really worked for generating videos to share on social media. That seems about right. Sitting through a full half hour was pretty painful, but the 30s to 1 minute clips did pretty well on Facebook and Twitter.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I saw someone describe it as a TV show that only really worked for generating videos to share on social media. That seems about right. Sitting through a full half hour was pretty painful, but the 30s to 1 minute clips did pretty well on Facebook and Twitter.
It was Nish Kumar’s attempt to be John Oliver.

diarm

You Brits take for granted that you pay a tv licence for access to ad free television.

14,000 people were taken to court last year for not paying their TV licence in Ireland. More than 400 were jailed.

We pay for fecking RTE to show us 16 hours worth of ads, broken up occasionally by twice a day reruns of British and Australian soaps.

BBC is also responsible for the best nature documentary work in the game, some decent drama and some occasionally excellent investigative journalism.

We pay millions to dildos like Ryan Tubridy, Ray Darcy and Joe Duffy.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Shame really enjoy the show. Love Kumar as a comedian, Yes I do get the criticism that is was very much a biased left-wing look at the news and in no way was impartial or even attempted to look at things from all perspectives, which from what I understand goes against the principles of the BBC. But as its politics for the most part match my own that didn't bother me.

Though I can imagine if my politics didn't match that it I probably would find the show a bit preachy or even patronising.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
You Brits take for granted that you pay a tv licence for access to ad free television.

14,000 people were taken to court last year for not paying their TV licence in Ireland. More than 400 were jailed.

We pay for fecking RTE to show us 16 hours worth of ads, broken up occasionally by twice a day reruns of British and Australian soaps.

BBC is also responsible for the best nature documentary work in the game, some decent drama and some occasionally excellent investigative journalism.

We pay millions to dildos like Ryan Tubridy, Ray Darcy and Joe Duffy.

I think it's worth it for the radio alone. So much good stuff on multiple channels.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I like Hislop. You're right about Merton though. He's happy with his £20k per episode cheque and has given up.
I hate Hislop, he's such a smug, jowly cnut.

Channel 4 ran a similar sort of show a few years ago. I think it was called Alternative News at 10, and David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker were part of the presenting team.
That passed me by somehow and I like Charlie Brooker. I take it that it wasn't great?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Agree they've done amazing work over the years, but it's more him personally and the mag's in-house jokes, like 'trebles all round', which are even more tired than the Caf's.
Well i haven't read it in years so no idea about that. It must be difficult to do now with the sheer volume of sleaze and incompetence to sift through.

JMack1234

The Mash Report was always a difficult watch.

Getting Nish Kumar to try and do a John Oliver is like getting Phil Jones to try and do a Koulibaly.

Doomed to failure and quite embarrassing at that.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The Mash Report was always a difficult watch.

Getting Nish Kumar to try and do a John Oliver is like getting Phil Jones to try and do a Koulibaly.

Doomed to failure and quite embarrassing at that.
Or getting Nish Kumar to try and do comedy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Poor Nish Kumar gets such a hard time. I mean I've never thought he was particularly funny but he seems an amiable enough guy. Some people really seem to dislike him though.

As for the show itself, it was passable enough for what it was. Not the type of comedy that UK TV has been all that good at in recent years so even passable is something.

Plus I seem to remember them irritating Piers Morgan at one point, which really is justification enough for it existing.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The BBC and British TV in general has taken such a sharp dive over the last 5 years, anyone here not pay their TV license? I'm curious when they give up on all the bullshit warnings?
I don't pay it. You can fill in a form on the TV licence website to say you don't need one because you don't watch live TV, and it'll stop. They'll ask you in a few years if your circumstances have changed, and you just tell them the same again.

I haven't watched any broadcast TV for years, and I don't miss it.

decorativeed

I’ve never heard of it either. Nish Kumar is an odd one. Seems to be a really popular guy amongst comedians I find funny but every time I watch him he’s about as funny as cancer. Is it possible the show is being cancelled because it’s shit?
I don't actually think a lot of what he's done on mainstream TV is very funny, so I can understand why you'd feel that way. We've seen a few live online things he's done in the past 12 months though and I've really enjoyed them, much better stuff than he's probably allowed to do on TV, or maybe he was scripted by some other writers in the mash report?

Simbo

I don't pay it. You can fill in a form on the TV licence website to say you don't need one because you don't watch live TV, and it'll stop. They'll ask you in a few years if your circumstances have changed, and you just tell them the same again.

I haven't watched any broadcast TV for years, and I don't miss it.
Think i've turned my TV on like twice in the last year. Can I just cancel it? Didn't the rule used to be you had to pay just if you had a TV?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Think i've turned my TV on like twice in the last year. Can I just cancel it? Didn't the rule used to be you had to pay just if you had a TV?
Used to be. Before streaming platforms, there was only really one reason to own a TV. Now, streaming and gaming are legitimate options for many. It's the only reason I use my TV. I don't even have the aerial plugged in to it.

You only need a TV licence if you watch broadcast TV, or you stream live TV as it's being broadcast on TV via something like SkyGo. So that excludes watching on-demand content, except for iPlayer.

If that's your situation, then you can fill this in - https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/about.app

hobbers

The biggest problem with Nish is that his brand of passive-aggressive smug comedy only works if it's paired with intelligence or wit, and he has neither. That and his voice. God his voice.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’ve never heard of it either. Nish Kumar is an odd one. Seems to be a really popular guy amongst comedians I find funny but every time I watch him he’s about as funny as cancer. Is it possible the show is being cancelled because it’s shit?
I don't watch the show but the clips can be great.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Fill out out the "I don't need a licence" form on the website. They will leave you alone for 2 or so years before sending you another letter to confirm you still don't need one. I haven't had a visit or threatening letter in over 15 years. Had one chick come to the door, I told I don't watch tv. She asked to come in, I said no. That was it. No one ever came back.

Yes, cancel it and get a refund on what you've paid so far. That could be a lot if you pay month to month.(form below). Declare on the website form(further below) that you no longer require a Licence as you do not watch live tv, or watch the iplayer. You use your tv to watch services like Netflix, or dvds and blurays, or for gaming.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check...cancellations-and-refunds-top7#cancelorrefund

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence