Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

sepulturite

Nobody will forget what he did. He will never be a saint in anybody's eyes. But looking at it we are supporters of the club. He is getting paid by the club to play and score goals. If he does that to the satisfying level we as supporters should be satisfied. Not saying it is totally irrelevant what he does in his spare time but without any conviction for me there is not enough ground to not allow him back into the club if he is still performing to a good enough standard. Everything else is moralizing and romanticizing in a world that is so full of s*** so full of pretension and is as fake as it ever was.
Jesus what a load of bollocks :rolleyes:

Lyng

The Tebas quotes are excellent news for us. Should help us get money for him if they want him to stay in Spain.

padzilla

Hipster
Factually found to be innocent of the crimes but we can’t say how, we’re not engaging with the content in the public domain whatsoever and on reflection we don’t want to keep him around, but definitely 1000% innocent in our book and that has nothing at all to do with footballing performance, pressure, monetary value etc.

Clear as crystal, alright.
There would have had to be a court case to be found innocent.

Zed 101

Factually found to be innocent of the crimes but we can’t say how, we’re not engaging with the content in the public domain whatsoever and on reflection we don’t want to keep him around, but definitely 1000% innocent in our book and that has nothing at all to do with footballing performance, pressure, monetary value etc.

Clear as crystal, alright.
Bottom line you, me and everyone in this forum is not party to the full facts of this case, I can say I do not like the feel of it but ultimately the context that all the information would provide could make all the difference.

In terms of monetary value or even value as a player, it would be nice to take some morale high ground and just walk away, but realistically the club is not in any sort of financial position to write off assets let alone potentially have to pay Greenwood off to cancel his contract or face a legal case for settlement, legally he is innocent, he did not release the information on social media and there is information/evidence which contradicts the veracity of the initial narrative so hard to establish he is in breach of contract, i.e. disrepute, even if he did perpetrate the acts he was accused of he did not make it public.

I hate trial by media, it screams against every aspect of what justice should be, I have to remind myself to give Horner the benefit of the doubt despite believing him to be one of the most insidious little pricks going.

I would love for Greenwood to be sold so we can all move on, him and his family included, if he returns to Utd, I will live with it but I cannot say I will be thrilled.

lex talionis

There would have had to be a court case to be found innocent.
I have no idea how the law works in the UK but in the US one is not found through due process to be "innocent". One either is found through due process to be guilty or not guilty of the crime charged. And in the absence of a trial that results in a verdict one is neither innocent nor not guilty. One is free to go about their business with each of free to decide on their own whether that person did or did not commit a crime or any kind of offense.

Casually, we can use words like "innocent" or "guilty" any way we please, but if we're going to refer to a the outcome of a "court case" one is either found guilty or not guilty, but never "innocent". At least this is how it is in the US.

sepulturite

Bottom line you, me and everyone in this forum is not party to the full facts of this case, I can say I do not like the feel of it but ultimately the context that all the information would provide could make all the difference.

In terms of monetary value or even value as a player, it would be nice to take some morale high ground and just walk away, but realistically the club is not in any sort of financial position to write off assets let alone potentially have to pay Greenwood off to cancel his contract or face a legal case for settlement, legally he is innocent, he did not release the information on social media and there is information/evidence which contradicts the veracity of the initial narrative so hard to establish he is in breach of contract, i.e. disrepute, even if he did perpetrate the acts he was accused of he did not make it public.

I hate trial by media, it screams against every aspect of what justice should be, I have to remind myself to give Horner the benefit of the doubt despite believing him to be one of the most insidious little pricks going.

I would love for Greenwood to be sold so we can all move on, him and his family included, if he returns to Utd, I will live with it but I cannot say I will be thrilled.
Yet again, for the umpteenth time in this thread, this is not true.

lex talionis

No it shouldn't, because there's been no court case, so he's nothing. He's neither not guilty or guilty. The case was dropped.
Well done. In the eyes of the law the man to whom we are referring is nothing, neither innocent nor not guilty. He is just a man who is in the eyes of the law, a person of no legal interest.

As for the rest of us and how we feel or what we think, that's another matter.

sepulturite

Well done. In the eyes of the law the man to whom we are referring is nothing, neither innocent nor not guilty. He is just a man who is in the eyes of the law, a person of no legal interest.

As for the rest of us and how we feel or what we think, that's another matter.
Yep exactly.

OverratedOpinion

So, in the eyes of law, he’s innocent. Correct?
The "law" I.e. the CPS have not had an opportunity to take a view as to whether he is innocent or guilty.

The court case being dropped due to his partner withdrawing support after he breached his bail conditions is no indication to the idea that he is innocent of what he was initially accused. Either way it is far easier to focus on what we do know.
  • We know he threatened to rape a woman.
  • We know he breached bail conditions.
When we know both of those things actually happened it is no surprise that you using the word innocent to describe him is a point of contention.

Widow

The "law" I.e. the CPS have not had an opportunity to take a view as to whether he is innocent or guilty.

The court case being dropped due to his partner withdrawing support after he breached his bail conditions is no indication to the idea that he is innocent of what he was initially accused. Either way it is far easier to focus on what we do know.
When we know both of those things actually happened it is no surprise that you using the word innocent to describe him is a point of contention.
Too many assumptions here. The evidence hasn't been tested in court so no, we don't know he did either of the points you state.

OverratedOpinion

Too many assumptions here. The evidence hasn't been tested in court so no, we don't know he did either of the points you state.
Not a single assumption has been made.

There is a public recording of him threatening to rape her and his own solicitor admitted in court that he had breached bail for months.

He literally got her pregnant when he was subject to bail conditions. Unless you believe in immaculate conception I'm not sure there could be more damning proof :lol:

Doracle

There is a presumption of innocence in English law, so he is presumed innocent unless or until found guilty. He hasn’t been found guilty, so is presumed innocent. He hasn’t been “proved” innocent of course but that would never be the case, even if he went to trial.

Now, whether any of us personally believe that he is innocent is another matter but, legally, he is.

Widow

There is a public recording of him threatening to rape her and his own solicitor admitted in court that he had breached bail for months.
Legally speaking, the recordings haven't been tested court. His defence could argue that it's not actually him in the recordings. I'm not claiming to know if that would happen though, just playing devil's advocate.

lex talionis

Correct, and we are all free to form our own opinions about what we heard. But in the eyes of the law the man to whom we are all referring is neither innocent nor not guilty. He walks among us a man like the rest of us without having been subjected to a criminal trial. He was investigated and the investigation was dropped.

sepulturite

There is a presumption of innocence in English law, so he is presumed innocent unless or until found guilty. He hasn’t been found guilty, so is presumed innocent. He hasn’t been “proved” innocent of course but that would never be the case, even if he went to trial.

Now, whether any of us personally believe that he is innocent is another matter but, legally, he is.
No that's where your wrong, legally he isn't innocent, he isn't anything because there's been no court case. This isn't an argument for either side on this debate, this is just a fact. Because the case was dropped he's neither guilty or not guilty.

OverratedOpinion

Correct, and we are all free to form our own opinions about what we heard. But in the eyes of the law the man to whom we are all referring is neither innocent nor not guilty. He walks among us a man like the rest of us without having been subjected to a criminal trial. He was investigated and the investigation was dropped.
Yes no trial happened.

A case being dropped is no indication of innocence or guilt, especially with complaints regarding intimate partner violence where the very nature of it means that without the full support of the victim it is extremely unlikely to be accepted by the CPS.

OverratedOpinion

Maybe but that's another assumption, we may never know.
We know that a multi million pound career was on the brink and a hugely valuable asset. We know that if it was not him that would have ended the entire situation. We know that the suggestion was never muted by any of those who would benifit hugely if it were the case.

You know full well it was him in that recording and you're being intentionally obtuse and contrarian either in the hope of defending him or just to pass the time.

Given you're a so called solicitor who said there was no evidence of a respondent breaching their bail when he got the applicant pregnant during the timeframe of the conditions I'd not take your word on very much.

Widow

We know that a multi million pound career was on the brink and a hugely valuable asset. We know that if it was not him that would have ended the entire situation. We know that the suggestion was never muted by any of those who would benifit hugely if it were the case.

You know full well it was him in that recording and you're being intentionally obtuse and contrarian either in the hope of defending him or just to pass the time.

Given you're a so called solicitor who said there was no evidence of a respondent not breaching their bail when he got the applicant pregnant during the timeframe of the conditions I'd not take your word on very much.
I was offering an alternative view to counter you claims of factual statements, at no point have I offended my opinion on what I believe to be true. Furthermore, I never mentioned his bail or the breach of it, I apologise if that was implied.

Your type don't tend to want to hear anything that pushes back against your weighted opinion and that's absolutely fine. I'm certainly not here to convince you either way, it would be far to painful.