Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

sepulturite

Don't want to engage in the whole debate just want to comment one thing - the reason, we have institutions handling accusations and misdeeds is that societies at one point decided it would be the best to lay those matters into hands that aren't susceptible to emotions. Your description about a family member makes sense, I can totally see your point and noone would ask you to forgive him for anybody else but yourself. Forgiveness works in both directions, when you have made your own experience, I'm sure you know that this anger is taking a toll on you as well.
Mate this is about forgiving someone who physically abused and attempted to rape his partner, I don't think it's a weird concept in any way to not want to forgive someone for doing something like that. In fact it's the people who CAN forgive so easily who are the weird ones here, and anyone with even an ounce of decency in them would agree.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Sensibly, there needs to be a performance thread but it was considered that we can’t just talk about how he is playing. Everything has to be put into context. So, instead, we all have to wade through this thread to try and keep track.
Sorry it's not easier for you to keep up with the career of an exiled alleged rapist.

If you write to the club and convince them to end the exile, then we will have a performance thread like we do for all our non exiled players.

cafecillos

Sensibly, there needs to be a performance thread but it was considered that we can’t just talk about how he is playing. Everything has to be put into context. So, instead, we all have to wade through this thread to try and keep track.
There may be other ways to keep track of a La Liga player than Redcafe if this thread is too inconvenient for you.

red.knight

Jesus :houllier: I seriously don't know what to say to that. My sister was in an abusive relationship and I could never forgive him for what he did to her, not in a million years. I think I'll be using that ignore button again.
So sorry to hear that and I fully understand why you feel that way. I forgave someone who hurt my family member because they were genuinely sorry but I know it might be hard when they aren't. Forgiveness helped me and my family with the healing.

sepulturite

There may be other ways to keep track of a La Liga player than Redcafe if this thread is too inconvenient for you.
Yeh I find that argument very strange, there's plenty of places to go to find out how he's doing, it's not like the cafe is the only site on the internet.

red.knight

Again, absolutely nobody is claiming to know the whole story. You are making things up to argue against. Surely that's the sign of a weak hand?

You're deciding people are not entitled to make a decision on the data that exists. But they are, almost all decisions we make are only based on data to hand.
I agree decisions are made based on data at hand but the data at hand (social media posts) that were released were not a reflection of the incident. Seeing people at United have heard the full recording and pictures and concluded nothing happened, then I tend to believe them.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeh I find that argument very strange, there's plenty of places to go to find out how he's doing, it's not like the cafe is the only site on the internet.
It's shameless grasping at straws, to in any way to push back at the consequences of MG being a scrotes. The same poster argued about the photos we saw and whether they were real or not.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree decisions are made based on data to hand but the data at hand (social media posts) that were released were not a reflection of the incident. Seeing people at United have heard the full recording and pictures and concluded nothing happened, then I tend to believe them.
The audio and the images are a large part of the data to hand. It's up to every individual to decide if theg do or don't reflect the reality of the situation.

They didn't conclude nothing happened. The language used doesn't even come close to saying that.

cafecillos

I agree decisions are made based on data at hand but the data at hand (social media posts) that were released were not a reflection of the incident. Seeing people at United have heard the full recording and pictures and concluded nothing happened, then I tend to believe them.
We haven't been shown or even told about anything else than those posts though. That's the only hard evidence we know. As to the second part, yeah, their conclusions were so airtight that he was immediately and irrevocably reintegrated into the squad.

Doracle

Manchester United player. The club could (and would) have terminated his contract if they had concluded he had committed the offences that he was charged with. There would then have, obviously, been no need for a thread to keep track on him.

It’s perfectly reasonable for United fans to want to keep track on a player who we are presumably going to be looking to sell in the summer. The mods clearly think that having this one thread is preferable, just doesn’t seem the best way to deal with it to me but, of course, it’s their decision.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Even if there's more, it would be hard to unhear/see what was previously released, which is why barring the existence of an extraordinary piece of information not currently in the public domain, those who won't don't want him back aren't likely to change their minds.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If he puts in a few more good performances to move me from 'on probation' to 'get him back' then I will do, be careful what you wish for !

And feel free to start a new poll if you think it doesn't represent the forum, until that happens I'll continue to mention the only data we have on opinions here
At least you’re showing your hand now

Doracle

The audio and the images are a large part of the data to hand. It's up to every individual to decide if theg do or don't reflect the reality of the situation.

They didn't conclude nothing happened. The language used doesn't even come close to saying that.
Presumably you agree that they concluded that there was no attempted rape; no coercive behaviour and no assault though?

NZT-One

Mate this is about forgiving someone who physically abused and attempted to rape his partner, I don't think it's a weird concept in any way to not want to forgive someone for doing something like that. In fact it's the people who CAN forgive so easily who are the weird ones here, and anyone with even an ounce of decency in them would agree.
Look, I think, your standpoint is legit and you are free to have and to promote it. But you have to accept that this applies to everbody and while some people will agree with you, some will disagree and some won't even understand what your actual point is. If you have personal experience, the whole matter is surely touchy on a whole other level, I just want to remind you, that situations with fury, anger, misdeeds and redemption are part of human history forever and over the centuries, societies came up with many ways to deal with it. Again - if you don't want to forgive Greenwood, that is fine. But I don't think, it will be too helpful for yourself when you become angry at people just because they have a different viewpoint than you - because just like you, they also bring their personal connections into it. Noone can claim moral superiority and as somebody pointed out, we might be far away from having a complete picture of the situation anyway.

Lets leave it at that, just for the record, I'd probably be also less... distanced in matters where I have personal connections with.

sepulturite

It's shameless grasping at straws, to in any way to push back at the consequences of MG being a scrotes. The same poster argued about the photos we saw and whether they were real or not.
Oh yeh that's right, I remember that, absolutely ridiculous.

cafecillos

Manchester United player. The club could (and would) have terminated his contract if they had concluded he had committed the offences that he was charged with. There would then have, obviously, been no need for a thread to keep track on him.

It’s perfectly reasonable for United fans to want to keep track on a player who we are presumably going to be looking to sell in the summer. The mods clearly think that having this one thread is preferable, just doesn’t seem the best way to deal with it to me but, of course, it’s their decision.
He's not playing for Manchester United though, is he? Also, by the same token, the club could (and would) have reintegrated him into the squad if they were all that sure he hadn't committed the offences that he was charged with.

red.knight

They concluded the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. I tend to believe them. There is always more to the story than what’s in the media.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes, and they not only didn't terminate this contract - they reportedly attempted to bring him back, going through extraordinary preparations to do so before the leak..

Doracle

Are you sure?

I don't think they could if he wasn't found guilty in a court
Yeah, you don’t need a criminal conviction to dismiss someone. If they concluded that, on the balance of probabilities, he’d committed gross misconduct (or whatever contractual wording applied), then he’d have great difficulty successfully challenging any dismissal.

Reactions: moses

golden_blunder

Staff
Presumably you agree that they concluded that there was no attempted rape; no coercive behaviour and no assault though?
In my opinion they weren’t sure enough to take a legal chance. There is in fact only 2 people who know what really happened. MG and his GF. Anyone else is just taking what they say as gospel.
the fact that one of those 2 decided to release the audio and pictures to show the world “what Mason greenwood does to me” is damning. Irrelevant if she’s decided to stay with him.

regardless of talent, the lad is a rotten apple. Get him away from the squad before it spreads

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
They concluded the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. I tend to believe them. There is always more to the story than what’s in the media.
I think if he did nothing he'd be playing for us. No amount of social media pressure would dissuade the club from utilising an asset if there wasn't a reason.

If the lad is 100% innocent of any abuse of that woman and the club have allowed the narrative that he isnt innocent to persist by not clarifying the situation and exiling him then they should be ashamed of themselves.

sepulturite

Look, I think, your standpoint is legit and you are free to have and to promote it. But you have to accept that this applies to everbody and while some people will agree with you, some will disagree and some won't even understand what your actual point is. If you have personal experience, the whole matter is surely touchy on a whole other level, I just want to remind you, that situations with fury, anger, misdeeds and redemption are part of human history forever and over the centuries, societies came up with many ways to deal with it. Again - if you don't want to forgive Greenwood, that is fine. But I don't think, it will be too helpful for yourself when you become angry at people just because they have a different viewpoint than you - because just like you, they also bring their personal connections into it. Noone can claim moral superiority and as somebody pointed out, we might be far away from having a complete picture of the situation anyway.

Lets leave it at that, just for the record, I'd probably be also less... distanced in matters where I have personal connections with.
Oh I can claim moral superiority on this situation and I am. And I have no problem with people putting their view on this subject out there, even though I don't agree with it. But if you are putting that point of view on here, on a discussion forum, then you have to accept people are going to argue that point with you, which is all I'm doing. But some people in this thread don't seem to like that clearly.

Doracle

He's not playing for Manchester United though, is he? Also, by the same token, the club could (and would) have reintegrated him into the squad if they were all that sure he hadn't committed the offences that he was charged with.
That seems to have been exactly what they intended to do before the adverse publicity/backlash.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s probably an absolute scrote and I have no desire to see him back at United. The club did, somehow, get itself in a position where it was comfortable taking him back initially though.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

I do think there was some degree of abuse, and quite serious too.

I'm not sure what I think about the language in their statement. It's quite odd to me.

cafecillos

Yes, and they not only didn't terminate this contract - they reportedly attempted to bring him back, going through extraordinary preparations to do so before the leak..
The "attempt" to bring him back felt slightly half hearted though, almost as if the conclusions of the "investigation" were flimsy as shit and incapable of withstanding the scrutiny they would have been under had they actually bought him back.

Pickle85

To sit there believing you know the whole story is genuinely foolish thinking. There’s more to those tapes than has been released. The recording was bad but if the CPS thought they had the evidence they’d of prosecuted him without the girl as a witness. A sad situation but his girl has since forgiven him and we have to practice forgiveness at some point whether it's at Man utd or elsewhere.
Where did I say I know the whole story? I'm just drawing conclusions based on the evidence available. Like most people do in most areas of their life on a daily basis.
Lots of self-righteous posturing. We must forgive one another and let go of rage and anger.
You seem to be confusing forgiveness with not holding people accountable for their actions. It's not up to us as a fanbase to forgive him or otherwise - we don't have that power and not should we. It's up to the person/people that he hurt with his actions to forgive him. What society as a whole should do is try to ensure that people are held accountable for their actions. Side question: do you think all violent sexual offenders deserve 'forgiveness' and not to be punished? Do you draw any sort of line or should anyone be able to do anything with no consequences as long as the victims of their actions forgive them?
Exactly. I don't understand why some are so desperate to forgive him, it gives an awful insight in to the mind set of some people around the world that something like this can be so easily swept under the rug. I asked that poster what they'd do if it was someone they knew or related to that it happened to, be interesting to see their response.
Yeah, it's shamefu, tbh. I think it's a combination of wanting a good player back for the club and their personal/cultural values being totally different to those who don't want greenwood back.

Holocene

At least you’re showing your hand now
Been obvious for a while what his stance on the matter is.

Why hasn't there been any attempt to clear his name by United or Greenwood himself?

sepulturite

Take a wild guess why an organisation who owns a very expensive asset in MG would want to put it out there that "he did not commit the offences he was originally charged with" when trying to move him on during the summer, hmmmm I wonder why?

red.knight

Even if there's more, it would be hard to unhear/see what was previously released, which is why barring the existence of an extraordinary piece of information not currently in the public domain, those who won't don't want him back aren't likely to change their minds.
I agree but I doubt we will see any new extraordinary evidence which might exonerate him in the eyes those who don’t won’t him back. Personally, I think him/his partner need to give some sort of interview about the case.

sepulturite

Where did I say I know the whole story? I'm just drawing conclusions based on the evidence available. Like most people do in most areas of their life on a daily basis.

You seem to be confusing forgiveness with not holding people accountable for their actions. It's not up to us as a fanbase to forgive him or otherwise - we don't have that power and not should we. It's up to the person/people that he hurt with his actions to forgive him. What society as a whole should do is try to ensure that people are held accountable for their actions. Side question: do you think all violent sexual offenders deserve 'forgiveness' and not to be punished? Do you draw any sort of line or should anyone be able to do anything with no consequences as long as the victims of their actions forgive them?

Yeah, it's shamefu, tbh. I think it's a combination of wanting a good player back for the club and their personal/cultural values being totally different to those who don't want greenwood back.
Yep very shameful. He replied to me and said he did actually forgive someone who did something to a family member of his :houllier:unbelievable.

cafecillos

That seems to have been exactly what they intended to do before the adverse publicity/backlash.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s probably an absolute scrote and I have no desire to see him back at United. The club did, somehow, get itself in a position where it was comfortable taking him back initially though.
Why would they do that if they were confident about their findings though? Unless they weren't and knew their "investigation" was partial and cursory.

cafecillos

Yep. Excruciating. It's just preferable to see the poor innocent Mason deserves a second chance etc narrative prevail.
I'm sure he came into the thread in good faith though, expecting to see some performance talk even though he didn't play yesterday (5th yellow suspension).

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
In my opinion, this is quite important. We have had a few posters in this thread posting from countries where women's rights are really poorly represented and rape convictions are very low. Some posters are posting from regions where marital rape is not a crime.

While that doesn't necessarily dictate what an individual thinks or says, I know from experience it does have an effect. Here in Ireland there is a huge generational divide as we only actually made marital rape illegal in 1990.

And I believe there is a correlation bewrween that and the attitude to rape in general.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would they do that if they were confident about their findings though? Unless they weren't and knew their "investigation" was partial and cursory.
Obviously, to avoid the needlessly distracting issue from derailing the early part of the new season.

red.knight

Take a wild guess why an organisation who owns a very expensive asset in MG would want to put it out there that "he did not commit the offences he was originally charged with" when trying to move him on during the summer, hmmmm I wonder why?
The scenario you mentioned is logically not impossible but I find it hard to believe an institution like United would lie on this serious issue in order to protect the value of a very expensive asset in MG as you put it.

golden_blunder

Staff
In my opinion, this is quite important. We have had a few posters in this thread posting from countries where women's rights are really poorly represented and rape convictions are very low. Some posters are posting from regions where marital rape is not a crime.

While that doesn't necessarily dictate what an individual thinks or says, I know from experience it does have an effect. Here in Ireland there is a huge generational divide as we only actually made marital rape illegal in 1990.

And I believe there is a correlation bewrween that and the attitude to rape in general.
Wow I wasn’t aware of that. It’s still so recent

sepulturite

The scenario you mentioned is logically not impossible but I find it hard to believe an institution like United would lie on this serious issue in order to protect the value of a very expensive asset in MG as you put it.
Really? Basically a business, with the glazers in charge, you really think they wouldn't lie? That's very naive mate.