Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
There will be an indelible stain on the player and the club from this situation, and they only have themselves to blame. I understand that the club are in a tough legal/contractual bind here but there is no excuse for those horrible statements.

Because the main witness withdrew their cooperation making a conviction almost impossible due to the very high standard of proof.
That was not the only reason as you well know.

Why did the club categorically state they don't think he did it?

SirScholes

There will be an indelible stain on the player and the club from this situation, and they only have themselves to blame. I understand that the club are in a tough legal/contractual bind here but there is no excuse for those horrible statements.
Nah MG is to blame

Lyng

Exactly. They could have stuck to the legal line but have gone further and by talking about the images and recordings in the way they did, they made it sound like: "Well based on what we have seen we dont think he did it, but you lot and the media forced us to let him go".
The statements are absolutely terrible and almost throw the victim under the bus.

OldTrevil

Good decision not to let him play for United, as the club and team don't need the chaos that would surround him, especially during this rebuilding time.

We may never know whether he's guilty of the abuse in question, but the audio and images were damning and it would have been very uncomfortable trying to support him on the team.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Read up on David Goodwillie. He was found not guilty for rape in the court of law however then guilty in a civil case. As a result, any move to football teams in Scotland and Australia has resulted in significant protests from their fans. There were no audio recording for him.

Mason Greenwood is a much higher profile and pretty much everyone has heard this despicable rats words towards his terrified girlfriend.

I’d be surprised if a big clubs takes this gamble of a backlash from their fans.

And people who defend him and ask where his next destination is? Who cares. Shawshank preferably.
In another case, Illombe Mboyo was convicted of gang rape of a 14 year old and still played for Belgium after.

Paul778

That was not the only reason as you well know.

Why did the club categorically state they don't think he did it?
Because they had an asset worth 60m+ on the open market, they knew any additional evidence would never come into the public domain and they were looking to PR spin things so they could keep him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Spot on.

Thiagoal

Interesting.
90% of facebook wants MG to stay and be given second chance.
90% of redcafe wants him gone.
It’s really interesting actually! Twitter want him hung drawn and quartered, Facebook pretty unanimously want him brought back, Daily Mail comments generally on the side of he should be forgiven!

In this situation the ones screaming the loudest tend to be the do-gooders, holier than though, never made a mistake in their lives types.This type of person likes to appear that way to cover up their own faults and raise their consonance levels!

I suspect that there are a silent majority that believe he should be given another chance/ given the opportunity to become a better person- but daren’t say so due to the pit bulls waiting to jump all over them for expressing a view!

Acting an arsehole to you is leaving someone with bruises and busted nose?:confused:
There are only three groups who have all the evidence available to them and all three are satisfied he didn't do what he was accused of.

Why would I, with less than 10% of the available evidence, think i know any better?

Doracle

Exactly. They could have stuck to the legal line but have gone further and by talking about the images and recordings in the way they did, they made it sound like: "Well based on what we have seen we dont think he did it, but you lot and the media forced us to let him go".
The statements are absolutely terrible and almost throw the victim under the bus.
So the club must feel pretty strongly that what they are saying is true then? Perhaps they feel that they owe it to someone they believe to be innocent of the offences to make that clear in their statement to give him the best chance at a clean start?

Maybe they are being hopelessly naive. Maybe it’s all just a cynical attempt to get some money for him. However, as it stands, I’m prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt and assume that they genuinely believe, based on the evidence they’ve seen, that he didn’t do the things he was initially accused of and deserves a second chance.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It’s really interesting actually! Twitter want him hung drawn and quartered, Facebook pretty unanimously want him brought back, Daily Mail comments generally on the side of he should be forgiven!

In this situation the ones screaming the loudest tend to be the do-gooders, holier than though, never made a mistake in their lives types.This type of person likes to appear that way to cover up their own faults and raise their consonance levels!

I suspect that there are a silent majority that believe he should be given another chance/ given the opportunity to become a better person- but daren’t say so due to the pit bulls waiting to jump all over them for expressing a view!
The pit bulls can be pretty mean. I mean, one of them just rabidly condemned @Rhyme Animal to a lonely loveless life :(

Because they had an asset worth 60m+ on the open market, they knew any additional evidence would never come into the public domain and they were looking to PR spin things so they could keep him.
That's the only possible answer.

I still think they would have been a lot less forthcoming in their statement if they thought he might have done it though.

Lyng

So the club must feel pretty strongly that what they are saying is true then? Perhaps they feel that they owe it to someone they believe to be innocent of the offences to make that clear in their statement to give him the best chance at a clean start?

Maybe they are being hopelessly naive. Maybe it’s all just a cynical attempt to get some money for him. However, as it stands, I’m prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt and assume that they genuinely believe, based on the evidence they’ve seen, that he didn’t do the things he was initially accused of and deserves a second chance.
If that was truly the case then why get rid of him? If they firmly believe he is innocent then they should be firmly behind their player?
I am happy he is gone because I dont believe he is innocent but surely you can see why the statements are terrible?

Dr. StrangeHate

There are only three groups who have all the evidence available to them and all three are satisfied he didn't do what he was accused of.

Why would I, with less than 10% of the available evidence, think i know any better?
Those are fair points. I just don't understand why they don't release the evidence then. Thinking of it from even Greenwood and family point of view; releasing the information, clearing his name and becoming a main stay at United would have been a redemption story like no other.

antk

So platform A wants thing X, platforms B/C wants the opposite Y BUT people who want thing X are mean and loud (while Daily Mail commenters are known for their calmness and reason) AND the general public agrees more with thing Y because feelings. "Interesting".

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

It's worrying that you don't consider yourself "holier-than" what he did, and indeed see it as an unrealistic expectation.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If that was truly the case then why get rid of him? If they firmly believe he is innocent then they should be firmly behind their player?
I am happy he is gone because I dont believe he is innocent but surely you can see why the statements are terrible?
I'm guessing they had to come to an agreement with MG that meant he left quietly, and this explains the language.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Do you stand and protest to let all the same people convicted of rape be out of jail and given 2nd chance, feck the victim feeling. Or was it because he is Mason Greenwood and you're probably supporting United.

And he was given 2nd chance, that's not going to jail. A luxury many others dont get. Losing his job is literally not even a slap in the wrist.

The Purley King

There was a thread about what I would have liked to see, but it's now locked. Let me answer that here.

Honest communication, true signs of repentance. Within a week of charges being dropped, Mason should have held a presser in United colors to offer whatever explanation legally possible. Apologize to the family. Apologize to his team. To his club. To his manager. To the fans. He should have told us if he loved his new family, and how he'd never let any harm befall them anymore. He should have said that he's offering 80% of the wages he's collected while suspended to a DV charity. He should have been vulnerable in measures he's taking to be better - the therapy he's receiving, the social good he wishes to do. And that he'll continue to do that for the remainder of his contract. United should have then released a statement stating that despite MG's presser, they would conduct an internal investigation. That as folks raising him since he was a child, they take responsibility for his mistakes, and will conduct an internal review and overhaul of the cultural systems in place so this can never happen again. They should apologize to the family, to the players, to the fans.

A week later, they could have released somewhat similar statements they did now - that they couldn't find any evidence to hold him guilty. He should have been on the tour, with the team. Training separately. Coming on for 5 minutes, repeat. After every game he should have stayed with the fans, taking the abuse, but apologizing. A shirt that says sorry. Hands put together in repentance. Just persist, show us how much you wish you hadn't hurt your family and everyone else. Put in the minutes, the grunt work to earn your spot back. Once the season began, he should do the rounds every game, take the abuse. And stay back again after every game to apologize. If he can win his wife over, make a public appearance with her - let people know she has chosen to forgive him, that the most important person in this situation truly thinks he deserves a second chance. Continue donating your wages, continue putting in the social work, continue trying to be sincere in your apology.

None of this may work, and he may not be able to make it. But at least we'd have appreciated him trying to show repentance. And the club for allowing him to do so. Not this shit show with DVs being flagged as hostile, and ambiguous statements as damage control.
Agree 100%
What is conspicuously missing has been an apology.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The way I see it the club took a sensible wording trying to please all sides, at the end they're a business and at best 40:60 of our fans are split and they're trying to at least make a neutral statement to cover all arses

Wilt

The posts on here trying to justify Greenwood’s actions….

Who in truth wouldn’t give a shit about him if it weren’t for him being a talented footballer.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I do not know how many times you need to read that but many victims stay with their abusers for years and it has never meant the abuse isn't real or that the victim is somehow responsible for it by not leaving.

Many posts in this thread read like they've never ever interacted with Domestic Violence matters, policies or stats.

None of what I'm saying here proves that MG abused her. People need to understand that their current living situation doesn't prove at all he didn't either.
You are making assumptions. Again, making negative assumptions is only done by people who want him to be guilty. She was not “suffering alone”. She had the open help of the whole country and stayed with him. This makes me more inclined to reach positive assumptions.

mod edit - please respect the anonymity request

Last edited by a moderator:

Spaghetti

Mom's
Forgetting for a moment the legal bar for proof, just in general, what possible contexts do you think the audio etc. would be acceptable morally?
Role play. People who are determined for him to be guilty will call bullshit. My ex was really into role play, which makes it easy for me to believe.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

I think there are fans who simply see his departure as the best outcome for Greenwood and his young family - away from the prying eyes of the media. He should be given another chance, just not at a globally followed club like Manutd, a club revered by children and adults alike, across every continent.

SirScholes

Who in truth wouldn’t give a shit about him if it weren’t for him being a talented footballer.
Or if he played for another team

antk

You are making assumptions. Again, making negative assumptions is only done by people who want him to be guilty. ******** was not “suffering alone”. She had the open help of the whole country and stayed with him. This makes me more inclined to reach positive assumptions.
Please point to an assumption in my post.

Mainoldo

I think what you are referring to is a thing called life :lol:

Grande

I for one think this had been landet well. What I think I know now, is that Greenwood said the things available to all, in a context I know very little about, but that is deemed relevant to several of those closer to the situation. The victim of that talk I can do little to help if ahe needs it, there are other people who has to do that if needed. I think women in general are way too underprotected from violence, threats and sexual violence in every culture I have aeen so far. At the same time I want a judicial systems to handle the evaluation of restoration and punishment, not lynch mobs and the general public. I think one ahould have extremely good evidence to override judicial outcomes, by that I mean first person eye witness level. I take it as read that I have not heard a single testimony in this case at that level of knowledge, and accept that I know next to nothing in order for me to make a judgement. All I know is that the recordings, what Greenwood himself has said about and what the club has said about it, is more than enough for me to want Greenwood to leave the club, I am not ready to cheer for him at this point. What he has said is enough to say this is not an acceptable relationship (between him and the club, but not enough to violate laws of contact, employers responsibilities etc. I think it’s fair that the club wait for the judicial process to conclude before investigating what has happened. I can’t see anything that justifies taking seven months before coming to a conclusion, but the conclusion seems right to me. It’s weak part of a good enough handling In my view, and certainly not anything to be up in arms about.

Laurencio

The thing is, contract law doesn't care about morality, and there are certain conditions that have to be met for a justified termination. When it comes down to it the media and fan backlash, which likely made sponsors skittish, will have threatened to affect the bottom line and the reputation of the club. His actions in light of a potential return threatened to bring the club into disrepute - which is grounds for contract termination.Il It is entirely plausible that ManUtd planted leaks about Mason's return as a way to prove that his position is untenable.

Instead of going into a legal battle over that, given he hasn't been convicted of anything, they will have come to a mutual agreement on how to end the relationship. Part of that would probably include a compromise on the contents of the statements, negotiated between Man Utd and Greenwood's representatives. The statement isn't the club's opinion, it's the legal solution they negotiated.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Please don't breech anonymity requirements
Please point to an assumption in my post.
By posting about the abused staying with their abusers, you are assuming that’s what happened with ******* and MG. If that’s not your insinuation, why on Earth have you written it in this thread?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

And what do you think they would all be saying if he was some hardly known youth team player?

Let me guess they are all desperate for Qatar to take over as well?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Near two years out of the game and the infamy is not nothing. Now, you can say he deserves that and whatever, but let’s not pretend he got arrested, woke up the next day, and it had all disappeared.
All of which he directly brought on himself with his behaviour but the idea that getting moved on and getting full and massive pay is a huge and unfair punishment is ludicrous.