Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
:lol: they basically admit that they didn't think Greenwood was wrong but they cave to public pressure to let him go. Bunch of idiots
Well he's not been convicted of anything, so legally I'm pretty sure they can't say he's done anything.

Last thing United need after this is Greenwood sueing them. Just put the statement out and get rid.Job done.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
"Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged"

Not sure this bit was necessary, but they came to the right decision overall in the end.

Another distraction put to bed finally.
That bit should see the fans target the CEO and send his ass out of the country.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Correct decision and one they shouldn't have dallied over and were effectively forced into in light of the Athletic article. Needless own goal from the club. Was always the best for both sides to go like this that's what makes it so stupid what they did.

Gandalf

He’s left by mutual consent. No sale or loan, he’s effectively been sacked.
It does not say that though, just that they have mutually agreed he should continue his career elsewhere. The media reporting seems to suggest he is leaving on a loan for now although presumably that would be just to rebuild his value ahead of a permanent move.

SambaBoy

That statement is beyond pathetic.

Condemn his actions and everything he did or stand by him. ' We stand by him, he didn't do anything wrong...... he's released'. Really poor from the club.

His lawyers and the club knew it would be difficult to sack him, so they've come to a mutual agreement where they defend him in public but let him go. Just typical of a big club these days.

big_jeffstar

Probably purposely left open ended. Gives them chance to take even longer to make a final decision if they want to send him out on loan.

It reads like they want him to carry on playing, but don’t want the shit storm that’s coming with it, so it’ll be a loan until the heat dies down that he’s kicking a football again.
If they were releasing him they’d have said so, and they won’t let him go for free so another club can take a prospect like that for free, it’s disgusting but it’s all about money really.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It’s the right consequence. But damn, the way to the right conclusion was a disaster.

Eric_the_Red99

Correct decision, but it’s pretty clear they were forced/shamed into it, and a lot of damage has already been done. Priority now should be to get him out of the door asap. I’d also hope that those in charge will learn some valuable lessons but who am I kidding?

Lentwood

"Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged"

Not sure this bit was necessary, but they came to the right decision overall in the end.

Yeah very strange that. To me it reads exactly like he did nothing wrong but we're left with no choice but to move him on.

By commenting in that way, you're leaving the club open to being attacked anyway

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Correct decision and the statement says exactly what it can given the legal obligations/constraints. Anyone expecting anything else is deluded.

Sounds to me like they're going to try sell him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
For what it's worth, it's also way better for Greenwood himself and his family that he plays football in a different country.

That statement is beyond pathetic.

Condemn his actions and everything he did or stand by him. ' We stand by him, he didn't do anything wrong...... he's released'. Really poor from the club.
Legally there is absolutely no way they can do this.

FujiVice

Our club is fecking poison. Cant even get this right. Had to back track on the first decision and release a statement seemingly contradicting its final decision making.

Remember the geese

Not impressed, but not surprised. Public opinion appears to be more powerful than the facts, as stated in the club statement. Weak management.

Judas

Open to offers
Seeing as the plan looked like they had every intention of keeping him at the start of the month, its a fecking farce and a mess, but typical of this club.

How its taken this long to get to this point is a joke.

markgiggsy11

Very very poorly handled by the club. They're effectively saying that they don't think he's in the wrong but would rather avoid the backlash by bringing him back. Such a terribly managed situation. And that press release verbiage is what most people cannot stand. Seems purposely obfuscated to avoid swinging very directly in either direction.

Matt007a

Such a shame. He’s the biggest talent we’ve had for years and I think he could have been our top striker for a long time.

The correct decision has been made, it’s just a shame it wasn’t made earlier. The club let The Athletic gauge the reaction and then suddenly found their morality when it wasn’t good.

United Hobbit

I'm impressed we made probably the right choice given how desperate we are for a striker, I thought it would sway the powers that be into keeping him

I thought the statement was interesting, wonder if we agreed with him we wouldn't accuse him to try and help him?

Wouldn't be shocked if sponsors were a big part of the decision and not wanting to be associated with him

I can see him going to Saudi, at least to get going again, less likely to get called out for his history there as they aren't well known for women's rights

I'd be using his story as a lesson to any player that comes through the academy - could have had it all but threw it all away

ErikElevenHag

True tale of what could have been. Incredibly talented footballer who threw it all away.

Probably rock up in the Saudi league I'd imagine.

flameinthesun

It was necessary if they had more access to information than we had and came to that conclusion.

SAFMUTD

That statement is stupid. Basically says the club did an investigation in which they've determined he's not guilty but still he'll leave the club because of the pressure around it.

Rockets Redglare

Official Club release is ambiguous to say the least Unless I am missing something .
Maybe I was just assuming, it would surely say if he was going on loan though. And Greenwood’s comment sounds like he’s leaving for good.

cyberman

Our club is fecking poison. Cant even get this right. Had to back track on the first decision and release a statement seemingly contradicting its final decision making.
To be fair if we didn’t announce he was drying then we didn’t go back on anything.
Reeks of kite flying but they shouldn’t have been shocked at the response

RORY65

:lol: they basically admit that they didn't think Greenwood was wrong but they cave to public pressure to let him go. Bunch of idiots
They're kind of vague by saying he didn't commit the offences of which he was originally charged, that doesn't mean they consider him to have done nothing untoward.

They've come to the right decision in the end in my opinion but the way they've got there has been very poorly handled and the fact that they clearly weren't going to do this until last week shows that the whole investigation was effectively a sham to the extent that I'm not sure that Arnold survives this situation.

laughtersassassin

Correct decision and the statement says exactly what it can given the legal obligations/constraints. Anyone expecting anything else is deluded.

Sounds to me like they're going to try sell him.
Hopefully get a few mil for him and ETH can convince the club he is desperate for another goalscorer

Roboc7

It’s the right decision, there was no way he could come back.

Ricardo de la Vega

Ridiculous this. Man not proven guilty of anything. Unable to defend himself in public. Club accept he probably didn't do it. Still have to ship him out because people are Muppets and you have to appease them. Utter stupidity.

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

His next club (abroad) will be happy to get him for nothing.

He will come back to a top english club in a couple of years and most people will have no problem with that.