g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we win the league next season, and Mount is a big reason why we did so, I would happily say I was wrong. The chances of that happening are slim to none.
You're putting ever so slightly too much pressure on it being a success there.
He could have a fantastic season and it could easily have us nowhere near the title.

CloneMC16

You're putting ever so slightly too much pressure on it being a success there.
He could have a fantastic season and it could easily have us nowhere near the title.
It is the scenario that the person that quoted me posed.

If Mount comes in and plays well, I will happily say I was wrong. I don't think he's the right profile, but will happily admit I'm wrong if he performs well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It is the scenario that the person that quoted me posed.

If Mount comes in and plays well, I will happily say I was wrong. I don't think he's the right profile, but will happily admit I'm wrong if he performs well.
It's such an utterly uninspired target, a player who every England game has assorted moans about him starting, playing and not being subbed, that I can only imagine he'll be an obvious success.

AndySmith1990

When you look back over the years at many of the players we signed, then look at a lot of the comments made prior to signing them, it's fair to say football fans are wrong more often than not. But that's the nature of random people being free to give their opinions online

redIndianDevil

You make it sound like Mount can't pass, dribble or carry the ball.
Eriksen and Bruno could do all of that but stunk the place out many times when played in an attacking 8 role. People say Eriksen was good against weaker teams but we really struggled with him in the team since January against all kinds of teams.

The only advantage Mount has over Eriksen is that he is younger and has more workrate. We also had a workhorse in midfield - Fred and that didn’t work out either. I don’t think Mount can work as hard as Bruno or is as creative and even Bruno struggled when played in a deeper position.

Playing in deep midfield areas demand a different kind of skill set and this is not the time to gamble on Mount adapting.

My main concern is cost(if he costs anything over 50m and 200k+ wages it will affect us buying quality players in other positions. If our transfer budget is huge and we could add another quality proper central midfielder I’ll be very happy and would be all in for this transfer.

We have to stop blindly trusting our manager, we have been burned far too many times to keep making the same mistakes again.

redIndianDevil

Caicedo’s main quality is his blend of physicality and basic technique. He’s a good athlete and a very promising CM and would cost a lot of money, for sure.

Regarding maintaining possession when being pressed late in games he is not going to be better than Mount. Regarding creating and scoring goals he is going to be worse than Mount. Good player though.

Mount has very good technique, is clever and can follow instructions. Chaos isn’t a word that springs to mind. I think you’re worrying about a problem that doesn’t exist.
Mount has never been deployed in deep midfield areas. I watched Caicedo a fair few times this season while that’s not nearly enough he looked like a proper central midfielder in all those games. He linked play between defence and attack really well. That’s the sort of midfielder we need. We are not able to sustain attack continuously because we lack such midfielders who can retain possession and quickly initiate attacks. We don’t need them to create goals or assists. We are going to end up making the same mistake that England did for a long time - playing Lampsrd and Gerrard together. Bruno and Mount together in midfield is a recipe for disaster.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mount has never been deployed in deep midfield areas. I watched Caicedo a fair few times this season while that’s not nearly enough he looked like a proper central midfielder in all those games. He linked play between defence and attack really well. That’s the sort of midfielder we need. We are not able to sustain attack continuously because we lack such midfielders who can retain possession and quickly initiate attacks. We don’t need them to create goals or assists. We are going to end up making the same mistake that England did for a long time - playing Lampsrd and Gerrard together. Bruno and Mount together in midfield is a recipe for disaster.
Incorrect, but go off

redIndianDevil

FDJ is the one. But the one got away.
I don’t know what’s with this black and white approach to transfers. Is FdJ the only such midfielder in that world, and now that Barcelona have him no one else in the world plays that role?

IMO it’s much better to sign a similar but somewhat less talented player than have no one who can play that role. If we just included top clubs in 4 European countries that itself give you a large pool of such players to pick from. And don’t ask me who these players are, I’m not paid thousands like our scouts or millions like our manager to pick these players.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How do you think Mount will do in that #8 role that Eriksen plays for us? As someone who has watched him regularly.
Exceptionally well. I've said this before but people are getting too fixated on specific roles within a midfield without considering the team as a whole - Man United right now have two ineffective attacking fullbacks and a DM who is limited in attack. That's already 5 defensively-inclined players - so having someone like Mount who is great at filling spaces tactically and still not being a negative defensively is a perfect fit.

He has pretty much played with Jorginho/Kante/Kovacic. I’m not saying he never ventures into the deep midfield at all but Chelsea had others players to handle the midfield as well.
You said he has "never been deployed in deep midfield areas" which is categorically incorrect.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's better at literally everything football-related compared to Eriksen with the possible exception of long passing, where he's only a shade worse.
You're fighting a losing battle, people on here have already made up their minds, mainly because United are after him and he's not playing for Atalanta or a third division Belgian club.

redIndianDevil

Exceptionally well. I've said this before but people are getting too fixated on specific roles within a midfield without considering the team as a whole - Man United right now have two ineffective attacking fullbacks and a DM who is limited in attack. That's already 5 defensively-inclined players - so having someone like Mount who is great at filling spaces tactically and still not being a negative defensively is a perfect fit.

You said he has "never been deployed in deep midfield areas" which is categorically incorrect.
No one is getting fixated on roles. But in every team a player is tasked with a primary role and anything else he has been asked to do tactically is an add on. Mount could have helped with pressing or showing up for midfield options in deeper areas but that’s not his primary role in the Chelsea team. Tuchel played with three CBs who are good on the ball, two wingbacks good on the ball and fielded amazing CMs like Kante and Jorginho. We don’t have all of that.

redIndianDevil

He's better at literally everything football-related compared to Eriksen with the possible exception of long passing, where he's only a shade worse.
Says the Chelsea fan. Tottenham fan would disagree and claim Eriksen had a much higher peak for them granted Mount has some time on his hands.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Says the Chelsea fan. Tottenham fan would disagree and claim Eriksen had a much higher peak for them granted Mount has some time on his hands.
I'm sorry, I missed the part where peak Eriksen was an option for you next year? I'm not arguing Mount is better than Eriksen ever was, but it's very plainly obvious which is the better player right now.

zaafi

Eriksen was sensational in his prime and obviously better. But he's not that player anymore so I don't see how that's relevant

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No one is getting fixated on roles. But in every team a player is tasked with a primary role and anything else he has been asked to do tactically is an add on. Mount could have helped with pressing or showing up for midfield options in deeper areas but that’s not his primary role in the Chelsea team. Tuchel played with three CBs who are good on the ball, two wingbacks good on the ball and fielded amazing CMs like Kante and Jorginho. We don’t have all of that.
"No one is getting fixated on roles. But here's four sentences fixated on roles:"

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You're fighting a losing battle, people on here have already made up their minds, mainly because United are after him and he's not playing for Atalanta or a third division Belgian club.
There's always the allure of the unknown I suppose. What's baffling to me is that so many on here think they know better than so many professional managers (obviously Lampard aside as that's a low bar).

redIndianDevil

He's much faster, better dribbler and can actually carry the ball. As opposed to Eriksen, he can actually turn quickly to evade press too. He will be a massive upgrade from Eriksen.
I’m getting tired of making the same points over and over again. Mount would be a good signing if we had a bigger transfer budget, sign another good midfielder, would not affect us signing another midfielder or striker or goalkeeper and we would not get rinsed by Chelsea with transfer fees. Also if this signing turns out to be a failure there is no way we will be able to get rid off him.

As for the pros and cons of the Mount Bruno and Casemiro midfield, let’s agree to disagree and see how it plays out. My opinion is that there would only be marginal improvement and more of the same struggle of not transitioning quickly from defence to attack.

redIndianDevil

There's always the allure of the unknown I suppose. What's baffling to me is that so many on here think they know better than so many professional managers (obviously Lampard aside as that's a low bar).
Never understood such posts. It’s a fan forum you know. People are going to post uninformed opinions on here.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Never understood such posts. It’s a fan forum you know. People are going to post uninformed opinions on here.
Sure. But being so definitive about it is ridiculous - just randomly as an example, someone saying that Mason Mount has categorically "never been deployed in deep midfield areas" is comical.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m getting tired of making the same points over and over again. Mount would be a good signing if we had a bigger transfer budget, sign another good midfielder, would not affect us signing another midfielder or striker or goalkeeper and we would not get rinsed by Chelsea with transfer fees. Also if this signing turns out to be a failure there is no way we will be able to get rid off him.

As for the pros and cons of the Mount Bruno and Casemiro midfield, let’s agree to disagree and see how it plays out. My opinion is that there would only be marginal improvement and more of the same struggle of not transitioning quickly from defence to attack.
Of all your takes about Mount this is the most baffling to me. Mount has consistently been an elite transition player for Chelsea - much of it due to his excellent long passing, ability / willingness to move the ball quickly, and engine to both initiate attacks and then get involved in the final third. I have genuinely no idea how you can argue that Mount wouldn't improve your counterattacking game.

redIndianDevil

Sure. But being so definitive about it is ridiculous - just randomly as an example, someone saying that Mason Mount has categorically "never been deployed in deep midfield areas" is comical.
You have to learn to not take everything word by word on an internet forum. Obviously I haven’t watched every minute of Mount playing for Chelsea. There are plenty of threads calling PL footballers shit in this forum, it’d be really tiresome to argue they are not.

Highfather_24

Of all your takes about Mount this is the most baffling to me. Mount has consistently been an elite transition player for Chelsea - much of it due to his excellent long passing, ability / willingness to move the ball quickly, and engine to both initiate attacks and then get involved in the final third. I have genuinely no idea how you can argue that Mount wouldn't improve your counterattacking game.
Most United fans want a high volume/accuracy passer as the partner to Casemiro. Players like FdJ or say Kovacic in Chelsea. Our team lacks that player who links the defense and attack. Casemiro is great defensively, and Bruno is an elite creator, what we need is an elite ball player. Many fear Mount is not that guy.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

Most United fans want a high volume/accuracy passer as the partner to Casemiro. Players like FdJ or say Kovacic in Chelsea. Our team lacks that player who links the defense and midfield. Casemiro is great defensively, and Bruno is an elite creator, what we need is an elite ball player. Many fear Mount is not that guy.
Succinctly well put.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You have to learn to not take everything word by word on an internet forum. Obviously I haven’t watched every minute of Mount playing for Chelsea. There are plenty of threads calling PL footballers shit in this forum, it’d be really tiresome to argue they are not.
And you have to learn when to stop arguing with someone who obviously knows more than you do about a subject. It's plain as day that you have at best a superficial understanding of what Mount does and why he's valuable.

Idxomer

Casemiro isn't limited in attack at all. He is limited in possession, there's a big difference and Mount won't help in that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Most United fans want a high volume/accuracy passer as the partner to Casemiro. Players like FdJ or say Kovacic in Chelsea. Our team lacks that player who links the defense and midfield. Casemiro is great defensively, and Bruno is an elite creator, what we need is an elite ball player. Many fear Mount is not that guy.
Ten Hag is signing mount to add more goals and assists to the midfield since we struggled to get goals in the PL this season. He also wants to more mobile and combative player in place of Eriksen. Mount also is not the only midfield signing he wants.

Fans fear a lot but Mount is a good addition if the price is right because he adds something we lack (in depth).

We also need another midfielder. By the way our team doesn’t lack a player who links midfield and defence. Martinez does this well and adding more players in different positions (e.g KMJ) is better than relying on one player in midfield to do this. I think ETH is moving in this direction and changing the keeper too will help (one that is an elite passer like Costa)

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Would suggest that many go watch more film of him at Chelsea beyond Youtube clips then.

If you sign FdJ or Kovacic, then you also have to sign an attacking fullback otherwise the team won't work properly. If that's your plan then sure, go for it - but it seems pretty evident based on the types of midfielders you've been linked to that the back 4 is settled and therefore you need two attacking 8s.

The guy to link defense and attack is Shaw by the way - he's a very good passer and has been an ineffective overlapper for two years now.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Casemiro isn't limited in attack at all. He is limited in possession, there's a big difference and Mount won't help in that.
I would argue that being good in possession more or less equates to being good in attack as a DM - I'm not talking about set plays or shots from distance here.

Regardless, I genuinely have no idea why you feel this way. Again just to reiterate - when Chelsea were a functioning side under Tuchel, most of our creativity went through Mount dropping deep into midfield. He's exceptionally good at recognising when space is opening and exploiting it - be that dropping into midfield, getting between opposition lines, making runs in behind, etc. Half the people on here keep going on about him like he's some sort of shoehorned attacking midfielder/winger when that almost literally couldn't be further from the truth.

OrcaFat

I don’t know what’s with this black and white approach to transfers. Is FdJ the only such midfielder in that world, and now that Barcelona have him no one else in the world plays that role?

IMO it’s much better to sign a similar but somewhat less talented player than have no one who can play that role. If we just included top clubs in 4 European countries that itself give you a large pool of such players to pick from. And don’t ask me who these players are, I’m not paid thousands like our scouts or millions like our manager to pick these players.
Regardless of where he has most often been deployed, Mount has a much more similar skill set to FDJ than Caicedo, for example.

redIndianDevil

And you have to learn when to stop arguing with someone who obviously knows more than you do about a subject. It's plain as day that you have at best a superficial understanding of what Mount does and why he's valuable.
It’s plain as day that you have at best a superficial understanding of what Manchester United’s midfield needs. Mount could have been successful at Chelsea under a system just because of that he won’t be success for us as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.