g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

This is definitely a combination of ETH and the recruitment team - of course it helps the club with the homegrown quota that he's English, but it has been widelyt reported that ETH has been keeping tabs on him since he was at loan at Vitesse and he helped beat ETH's Ajax with a good performance, it's likely the recruitment team made him aware of Mount's situation at Chelsea and ETH was more than eager to see if we could take advantage of that.

I feel like we definitely could be targetting better midfielders and probably at a better price, I would say anywhere between 50-60 is too much considering his contract situation, but I think he is relatively talented, has something the manager wants, the usual English tax, but also that Chelsea would be selling to another big club in England add on to the price, when I look at it that way 50-60 doesn't seem so bad, even though I know it looks it on paper.

Again I know where you are coming from, but I definitely see him as having maybe Eriksen and Fred moulded into 1 player (I know he has worse passing than Eriksen) who can fill in that number 8 slot. I know you say a 180 degree change in tactics but I don't think it's as much as you might think. Originally when he joined ETH seemed keen on recreating his original Ajax tactics and team - made obvious by his mad obsession with us getting FDJ that summer... but as the season has progressed I think he's changed his tune and wants us to play with a holding 6 in Casemiro (Alvarez) and two mobile 8's in Mount and Bruno (Gravenberch and Berghuis) but the current team we have just cannot do this effectively. Fred is mobile as all hell but he's clumsy, is prone to just missing 5 yard passes constantly and his output is pretty dreadful, he's never had a good a season as Mount has had in pure goals and assists numbers. Eriksen can pass for days but he's extremely slow, immobile and has no physical presence or tenacity about him meaning that the press cannot work and our midfield gets bypassed easily.

With Mount and a preseason I feel like we'll be seeing a much better midfield next season, even if I originally didn't quite believe it, and I know you and a lot of others here don't see it. But I have some faith and I hope my post has given you a little too!
You tried and I appreciate it but the 'I KNOW BETTER THAN ALL' :lol: is still bringing my mind to the dark side.

I don't doubt he'll be an improvement on what we got and I'm sure we will play better by virtue of 1) a new season where ETH and the team now know what standards they have to put in every game 2) a year of growth together 3) ETH and the team hopefully managing games better. However, we were already and will be better than 60-70% of the teams we play against by having the better individual talent coupled with our fierce fighting (defensive) spirit. Mount is evidently a more mobile and athletic upgrade than Eriksen so he will perhaps make us more dominant in finishing off those teams I mentioned but will he really improve us against high pressing/possession dominating teams? Or is he just another body that will perform better in conditions that favour transitions and whilst facing the goal? That's what I meant by a 180 degree change. Our wide players, who are weak in 1 vs 1 duels and lack dribbling penetration would thrive better in shorter passing combos, overlaps and intricate movement. On the one hand going forward Mount can help with this but I fear for us when we lose the ball in transition AND when the game will require more subtlety.

On a fundamental level, I understand the tactics and change of formation that has already been addressed in the thread but I still believe Mount is just an odd choice. Rabiot makes far more sense for example if we had to choose one midfielder and then if we're getting another midfielder, Mount again would be an odd choice given the sums reported. I really don't want to be a negative nancy but I just can't get my head around it.

GreatDane

Tje Martinez transfer - our one resounding success under ETH…may not have happened if Timber said yes or indeed if Arsenal had the chance to keep negotiating. So in my view, rode our luck and paid more than we would have if he was our main target from the outset.
Casemiro was not a succes?
Eriksen on free?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Who else is out there, apart from Rodri?
I actually do think Rice could become something like. He's still young, he's tidy on the ball, decent at winning the ball and racks up very high numbers for distance carrying the ball for the type of player he is. I think maybe last season he was amongst wingers in that sense at one stage of the season.He needs to polish many parts of his game still, but given his age it's very feasible.

I'm obviously not saying he's at that level, but of all the players I've seen recently, I do think he could become a similar sort of player if he is moulded into that role and progresses with age and experience.

L1nk

You tried and I appreciate it but the 'I KNOW BETTER THAN ALL' :lol: is still bringing my mind to the dark side.

I don't doubt he'll be an improvement on what we got and I'm sure we will play better by virtue of 1) a new season where ETH and the team now know what standards they have to put in every game 2) a year of growth together 3) ETH and the team hopefully managing games better. However, we were already and will be better than 60-70% of the teams we play against by having the better individual talent coupled with our fierce fighting (defensive) spirit. Mount is evidently a more mobile and athletic upgrade than Eriksen so he will perhaps make us more dominant in finishing off those teams I mentioned but will he really improve us against high pressing/possession dominating teams? Or is he just another body that will perform better in conditions that favour transitions and whilst facing the goal? That's what I meant by a 180 degree change. Our wide players, who are weak in 1 vs 1 duels and lack dribbling penetration would thrive better in shorter passing combos, overlaps and intricate movement. On the one hand going forward Mount can help with this but I fear for us when we lose the ball in transition AND when the game will require more subtlety.

On a fundamental level, I understand the tactics and change of formation that has already been addressed in the thread but I still believe Mount is just an odd choice. Rabiot makes far more sense for example if we had to choose one midfielder and then if we're getting another midfielder, Mount again would be an odd choice given the sums reported. I really don't want to be a negative nancy but I just can't get my head around it.
Well my friend lets hope Mount just proves us wrong and proves why ETH wants him so badly, if he does indeed join i’m going to throw my weight behind supporting him and hope he repays that faith!

criticalanalysis

Well my friend lets hope Mount just proves us wrong and proves why ETH wants him so badly, if he does indeed join i’m going to throw my weight behind supporting him and hope he repays that faith!
Hear hear.

I'm sure I'll herald him as the second coming of Scholes once he scores in preseason against Wrexham :drool:

Abraxas

Sounds like complete bs. 3 years? 70 million quid plus add ons to 50 million euros plus add ons within the space of a week. We sure that's not completely faked?

captaincantona

Casemiro was not a succes?
Eriksen on free?
Our one resounding success yes.

Casemiro had been a great short term signing - but We have seen how his form dips when we overplay him and also how much we miss him when he is not there. as a result a CDM cover is right up there with a striker in terms of priority. We will need to spend big time to sort that position completely because we spent so much on someone who we knew had a fairly short shelf life.

he looked visibly slower and less mobile after he came back from suspension. So you would have to hope that that is nothing a decent rest couldn’t fix. so For me …for that money…he needs to put in performances consistently over the next couple of seasons in order to properly say his signing was a resounding success imo.

as for eriksen, that was a no brainer considering the state of our midfield but he has been a blessing and a curse. Alongside Casemiro there is a sever lack of pace and energy - hence the need to cram Frednin in the cup final. His performances since his injury have been poor. So certainly not a resounding success no - but better than many over the last 10 years.

Martinez is the one player you have no doubts about - he was money well spent and had the potential to not only reproduce the form of this season but to also improve. So yes - I back him to be a resounding success. I hope I’m wrong and all 3 Fuking kill it next season but I worry about Casemiro and Eriksen in midfield after the tail end of last season - they really seemed a few yards off the pace.

jackal&hyde

FFS. None of the fans who say we have to sign Caicedo think he’d add more defensive steel. We have lost the ability to hold any sort of meaningful possession when faced against pressing teams. Caicedo would help with that by recycling possession intelligently. How many games have to dropped points against mid table teams because we couldn’t maintain possession in the final minutes? A midfielder like Caicedo would solve that. Mount would just add more chaos to our midfield.
Mount is a better passer then Caicedo and most importantly he is that in the mid and final third, where you want to keep the ball. To hold possession against high pressing teams we need a new GK and for AWB not to play, Shaw can play inverted, etc. You don't just add a mostly defensive player in mid because you want better ball progression only to find that Bruno is your only hope to create anything.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Mount is a better passer then Caicedo and most importantly he is that in the mid and final third, where you want to keep the ball. To hold possession against high pressing teams we need a new GK and for AWB not to play, Shaw can play inverted, etc. You don't just add a mostly defensive player in mid because you want better ball progression only to find that Bruno is your only hope to create anything.
Yeah agreed. I'm a massive proponent of us getting Caicedo. It's just if we play Casemiro and Caicedo at the base, we need another attacking creative player in tandem with Bruno.

Getting Kane would immediately solve this issue. But Caicedo and Kane would cost at least 200m, thank you. Quoting EtH," Do you have a penny to spare?"

Mount does have potential to add a level to our team. Although as in now, Caicedo shows more concrete potential.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

We still doing this?

Chairman Steve

What will his Oleised nickname be though? I’m guessing it’ll be the same as a single member of a famous Canadian law enforcement department :p

ManRed

A dime over £50m and we should bolt, for a player who just spent a season out injured+ last year of contract that’s already a substantially risky investment.
Glad we have a budget this time around and need to be more responsible with the funds.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The thing about Mount is, if Chelsea were saying £50m I'd be saying that's too much and hopefully we get it down to £30m. So £50m+ still seems like a mad price.

It's so... boring.

gajender

The thing about Mount is, if Chelsea were saying £50m I'd be saying that's too much and hopefully we get it down to £30m. So £50m+ still seems like a mad price.

It's so... boring.
I believe it would get done for £40m plus £ 10m in add ons , but you are right not the most inspired signing and price seems to be on higher side if it ends up being around £50 m but still intrigued to see how it pans out .

luke511

It's so... boring.
This is it, by asking for £70 million it engineers the mentality that £50-55 million is a good deal for Utd. The reality is it’s still far too much for an out of form player with a year left on his contract.

Redstain

£40M upfront and an extra 10 in achievable bonuses is relatively good business. Sell VDB, Maguire and Mctomminay. Club could certainly do with a player who can play the Casemiro role I think Lavia is a good option.

Nickelodeon

Still think Chelsea are the ones playing us. They've pulled the 70 million valuation out of their arse and if we settle for 50, it would still be too much.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
They’ll cave. No ones playing £70m for Mount even if he had five years left on his contract never mind one.
You can have him for free next season. Either pay up or take him for free next season if you can. As you said he is not worth it why even bother about it.

Caicedo will be great for you. It's really unfortunate your manager want mount. :)

luke511

You can have him for free next season. Either pay up or take him for free next season if you can. As you said he is not worth it why even bother about it.

Caicedo will be great for you. It's really unfortunate your manager want mount. :)
You’re my favourite Chelsea fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.