g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

If we listened to the club we’d have signed Pau Torres instead of Martinez. Ten Hag got enough right last summer to have this fans backing, anyway.
Equally, Timber may have been our main CB signing and not Martinez if we went for ETH's first choice.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Regardless of what people think of this potential transfer, good to see business being done early

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
There's no reason why it shouldn't. He's a major upgrade on Eriksen in basically every department besides long passing from deep areas, both on and off the ball. Many in this thread keep talking about how he's best used in advance positions - don't really think this is true at all, he's always been best as an 8 and when Potter tried to use him as a winger for god-knows what reason he struggled.

I still would probably argue that from our midfield, Kovacic would be the better fit in a starting XI but you probably could do with some HG players, Mount brings something different to the table that you don't really have in terms of ball-carrying, and he's generally much more tactically flexible in his versatility.

I don't think Mount is good enough to be the best player in any team (and if he is, that team probably isn't going particularly far), but he's undoubtedly a valuable player who contributes to winning consistently.

He's had some sort of bothersome hip injury that has limited him for basically the entire second half of the year. Not expected to be a long-term thing going forward though.
Thanks for this, actually making me excited for this deal now. Or maybe you're just a great used car salesman and are sabotaging my life.

saivet

It’s clear ten Haag wants to go forward with the one defence minded two offence minded in his three man midfield. City have played it for years so I like that he’s doing it but you really need to get it right with your system all over the field or you get massively exposed as we have done numerous times this season. I don’t think enough has been done from the structural side for us to play this way and get closer to city.
He’ll do a better job defensively than Eriksen but he’s not exceptional at winning the ball back but we’ll see I guess.
Yeah he's much better pressing high up the pitch but in defensive transitions we'll experience the same problems. Mount is one of those players who is good defensively for an attacking player but if we're giving him as much defensive responsibility as Eriksen we'll have similar defensive problems through midfield.

Valencia Shin Crosses

If we listened to the club we’d have signed Pau Torres instead of Martinez. Ten Hag got enough right last summer to have this fans backing, anyway.
I mean we would have signed Timber instead of Martinez too before he chose to stay. Our other top signing was also not a Ten Hag choice in Casemiro. Every other player has basically been someone that he was enamored with back in the Dutch league so far.

Red00012

Welp, at least we're doing business early.

Hope the final fee ends up in the 40-50m region at least rather than the 60-70m Chelsea have been aiming for
Anything over £50 million is too much

Dannn411

He is a good player and will improve the squad. Just hope we are not going to pay through our noses. Don't like dealing with English clubs. Particularly big 6 ones.

el3mel

I think he'll be an awful deal, but he's our player now so complaining won't mean much.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm sure ETH has a plan if this happens but I'm baffled as to where he would play. He certainly wouldn't be replacing Bruno, nor as a CM.

Ludens the Red

Yeah he's much better pressing high up the pitch but in defensive transitions we'll experience the same problems. Mount is one of those players who is good defensively for an attacking player but if we're giving him as much defensive responsibility as Eriksen we'll have similar defensive problems through midfield.
Yeah he’ll improve us in that sense for sure but if our overall press and compactness isn’t good enough yeah we’ll have the same issues. City did it with de bruyne and silva but they made sure they dominated the ball, reducing the opportunities for transitions and played so high up the pitch too. We’re literally tbe oppposite, our possession numbers are average and will continue to be so with the players we have and we don’t play with a particularly high line.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Think of it this way it’s probably Donny out Mason in . Win win. Rabiot in for Sabitzer would be fantastic and would allow us to move on Fred
I’m an old man, my cock can’t take another summer of multiple engorgements. It hurt itself last year during the Frenkie debacle.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Would be a good start to the window. I rate him, and he works hard. If we don’t overpay, I’d be happy with it.

Giggsyking

Love how all the football experts know more than our manager and about players that fit the way our manager wants to play magic
We might as well close the forum, why discuss anything if we are going to agree on anything the manager does?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Think of it this way it’s probably Donny out Mason in . Win win. Rabiot in for Sabitzer would be fantastic and would allow us to move on Fred
Donny doesn't even have a role in the squad to replace. It's like saying replacing the "Maguire role."

If he's brought in, I imagine it's to take Eriksen's role which would subsequently be limited.

Mainoldo

Good business. In 5 years time hopefully this is seen as important as Carrick.

RuudTom83

Let’s wait and see what the squad looks like at the start of next season.

If it’s a case of Donny+McTom OUT and Mount IN then it’s not terrible.

We shouldn’t be looking at this (potential) transfer in isolation.

arnie_ni

Baffled to say the least. I obviously don't watch Chelsea that much but any time I have I've never seen him play well. Also not sure where he'll play, I can't see him fitting alongside case and Bruno.

I'll back him if he signs though.

Red00012

Donny doesn't even have a role in the squad to replace. It's like saying replacing the "Maguire role."

If he's brought in, I imagine it's to take Eriksen's role which would subsequently be limited.
It’s gives us options . Bruno / Eriksen / Mount is far better than Bruno /Eriksen/ Donny

KD6-3.7

Well, talk about an underwhelming start to our summer transfer window. I don’t really see how he improves the team and if I wanted a midfielder we could have gotten someone with more of a technical guile who has the ability to control the tempo of matches because our midfield will not hold up in the champions league at all.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Really like the idea of Mount and Bruno as two 8's. They work hard enough for it to work and is obviously pretty offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.