Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

We have seen a lot this season, the drop of quality from Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno to Fred, Mctominay, Sabitzer is huge.

And do you think City midfield would improve with the signing of Kovacic this summer? Of course not. But it would added more depth to their midfield without noticeable difference of quality from De Bruyne, Silva, Rodri to Foden, Gundogan, Kovacic.

I think that’s where the improvement would be with signing of Mount. It could be like Gundogan for City, very useful first team player or when in squad rotation.
City have an amazing first 11. They can afford to prioritise squad depth. For us, it's more important to tackle the obvious holes in the first 11. We have been hearing nonstop that we are restricted by FFP, so I feel the focus on getting our priority targets should be paramount.

If signing Mount does not affect our spending on other key areas, it's fine.

NK86

They'll come when they're available.
Last season Malacia was the first player through our doors, because the deal was straight forward.

Signing Mount first doesn't mean he's some sort of priority. It's just a deal thats simple to navigate, so it's getting done first.
Not the right comparison. Mount is an England international playing for a high profile rival in the EPL. He won't come cheap or would be on small wages like Malacia. This is not a punt but a pretty decent sized investment and for a player who would want regular playing time. The two situations are not alike at all.

NK86

Lets just say he's versatile then, he can work as a left sided midfielder, number 10 and a number 8.
He can play as an 8, but does not mean he is good there. Wout also plays as a 10 but that does not make it a good idea to play him there.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We desperately need a GK, a CF and a well rounded CM, all on a shoestring budget. Probably a RB and a CB too. What do we do? Sign an overrated and overpriced backup for Bruno. This is stupidity beyond belief.

Stacks

Have Weghorst and Antony have been amazing? No! Actually quite the opposite.

Nationality doesn't come into it. Signing the right player is all that matters.

We've signed some world class English players over the years too. Rio, Carrick and Rooney to name but a few.
I know. I care little about nationality but a poster claimed we only like dudes with fancy names other Anglo names

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Actually if we are ready to pay 50m or more on player with year on contract as reports suggest then off course he is a priority midfield signing .
We paid similar for Martinez and he wasn't a bigger priority than a CDM.
FFP kicks in at the end of June (so it's in Chelsea's interest to sell early) and there are other big clubs circling. We wouldn't defer any Mount talks until we get a striker because that would compromise our advantage in the deal.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not the right comparison. Mount is an England international playing for a high profile rival in the EPL. He won't come cheap or would be on small wages like Malacia. This is not a punt but a pretty decent sized investment and for a player who would want regular playing time. The two situations are not alike at all.
We also got Martinez before we got a CDM (and the latter was widely seen to be a bigger priority).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We don't necessarily need an improvement on those 2. But there sure are higher priorities where improvements are needed which should come first. Mount does not seem to me the kind of player who will improve our first 11 when he is a direct competitor of Bruno and not Eriksen. An upgrade on Eriksen is what we need more urgently rather than an expensive squad player.
Mount will be taking Eriksen's place. The same outlets that initially linked him to us (The Athletic and The Telegraph) said he was being signed as a #8.

Because the idea seems to be to play with advanced #8s, as ETH did latterly at Ajax. Not with the deeper #8 we assumed we'd sign.

And he will be an improvement on Eriksen in that regard because (while also being technically accomplished) he's a pressing machine.

UpWithRivers

There is no way we are spending 50/60 mill on a back up player. 0. None. Nada. Mount will play in Eriksens place. Now the question is - How the fk do we manage to not get overrun and get battered away to Liverpool, City etc.

jesperjaap

Dont get the adds depth and competition for Eriksen comments. He starts as the number 8 here if we sign him and adds dept and competition to Fernandes if anything.

He is a good player, good movement, workate, intelligence, technique, free kicks……but at the same time he is a very modern player in these aspects and I don’t see that big of magic quality.

Personally, there are a few other players I would rather sign that would be cheaper on the continent, but Mount improves us in my mind. Eriksen has no legs and is weak in defensive duties, his contribution been over rated here, not very effective in a lot of the big games and our McFred, VDB options are simply not good enough….people saying don’t see what he adds when these are our 8 options, strange to me even if I wouldn’t sign him personally

redcucumber

In the space of an hour or so I'm warming to this. He's proven in the PL, he's highly experienced at all levels (England starter + CL winner), he's a fierce competitor, tactically and positionally flexible, he's productive in and around the goal (useful at set pieces too), and a very good age profile. Not the most exciting option but if we get him for a good fee then it seems to tick a lot of boxes.

Real Name

He can play as an 8, but does not mean he is good there. Wout also plays as a 10 but that does not make it a good idea to play him there.
That's a silly comparison. The fact he worked good as a left sided midfielder doesn't mean he isnt good as a number 8 too. Even if he worked good as a left sided midfielder doesnt mean he was glued to a byline and only went back and forth on the left side..

redcucumber

There is no way we are spending 50/60 mill on a back up player. 0. None. Nada. Mount will play in Eriksens place. Now the question is - How the fk do we manage to not get overrun and get battered away to Liverpool, City etc.
Mount is surely more useful defensively than Eriksen? I don't know if a midfield of Bruno - Casemiro - Mount is strong enough to not get overrun, but it stands more chance than if Eriksen was in there,

Licha M

If Liverpool or Arsenal had moved for Mount this early with the season not even over, they'd be applauded for starting their business early. All this club gets is stick.

A good player, as long as we don't get our pants pulled down over the price I'm all for it.

Baneofthegame

Still don’t think we should be paying anymore than 35-40 million plus bonuses, it’s a lot of our budget.

Real Name

Mount is surely more useful defensively than Eriksen? I don't know if a midfield of Bruno - Casemiro - Mount is strong enough to not get overrun, but it stands more chance than if Eriksen was in there,
of course, defensively better and you dont need to sub him at a 60 minute mark.

twitter thread suggester
Any comparrison charts between Eriksen and Mount?

How good is Mount’s defensive work?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You know I used to think he was shite but something has changed in the last few hours to make me think he’s quality. Not sure what.

NK86

That's a silly comparison. The fact he worked good as a left sided midfielder doesn't mean he isnt good as a number 8 too. Even if he worked good as a left sided midfielder doesnt mean he was glued to a byline and only went back and forth on the left side..
Now you are making up points I never made to counter it. I never said he stuck to the byline. Rashford doesn't do it when he is on the left.

There are Chelsea fans on this very site saying Mount was pretty poor when he was played deeper. He's not an unknown quantity there plus even if he was, it's a risk to buy a prolific attacker to play deeper.

Crimson King

We desperately need a GK, a CF and a well rounded CM, all on a shoestring budget. Probably a RB and a CB too. What do we do? Sign an overrated and overpriced backup for Bruno. This is stupidity beyond belief.
If you think he's being signed to sit on the bench and rotate with Bruno then this part handily sums up your post.

NK86

Mount will be taking Eriksen's place. The same outlets that initially linked him to us (The Athletic and The Telegraph) said he was being signed as a #8.

Because the idea seems to be to play with advanced #8s, as ETH did latterly at Ajax. Not with the deeper #8 we assumed we'd sign.

And he will be an improvement on Eriksen in that regard because (while also being technically accomplished) he's a pressing machine.
I hope he is better there than what the Chelsea fans say about his play in that position. I feel Kovacic is a much better fit for us in that regard if we want someone to replace Eriksen.

Real Name

Now you are making up points I never made to counter it. I never said he stuck to the byline. Rashford doesn't do it when he is on the left.

There are Chelsea fans on this very site saying Mount was pretty poor when he was played deeper. He's not an unknown quantity there plus even if he was, it's a risk to buy a prolific attacker to play deeper.
You assumed he'd be a Rashford deputy which is silly. He's not an attacker, that much I can tell you. By the byline comment I meant even when he played on the left side he roamed down the pitch which tells you he can work as a number 8 just as easily and midfield is his position anyway, he said it himself.
He's being bought as a number 8. So you go by what Chelsea fans (how many of them and who are they) are saying not by what you know about the player?

NK86

We also got Martinez before we got a CDM (and the latter was widely seen to be a bigger priority).
Martinez was specifically bought as a starter as a left sided CB because ETH wants his left CB to be very comfortable with his left foot while passing. He was always brought in as a starter in his preferred position.

Mount's best position so far is a CAM or a left sided attacker - the two positions we are comfortably set in.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I hope he is better there than what the Chelsea fans say about his play in that position. I feel Kovacic is a much better fit for us in that regard if we want someone to replace Eriksen.
He's 29 and I don't think he's as effective off the ball. I also don't think he's as decisive in the final third as Mount is.
I rate Kovacic over Mount for his ball carrying ability, but that's not to say Mount is poor at it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Martinez was specifically bought as a starter as a left sided CB because ETH wants his left CB to be very comfortable with his left foot while passing. He was always brought in as a starter in his preferred position.

Mount's best position so far is a CAM or a left sided attacker - the two positions we are comfortably set in.
It's clear that Mount has been brought in as an 8 for us, and that is also an integral position for Ten Hag's system. Other posters have explained this to you as well. Why do you keep assuming he's a 10 for us?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You know I used to think he was shite but something has changed in the last few hours to make me think he’s quality. Not sure what.
I’m in the same place. Always perceived him as a good squad player at a big club or possibly a player of significant impact at a mid-table team but I now reckon he’s a top 10 midfielder in England.

NK86

You assumed he'd be a Rashford deputy which is silly. He's not an attacker, that much I can tell you.
He's being bought as a number 8. So you go by what Chelsea fans (how many of them and who are they) are saying not by what you know about the player?
I said he had his best performances in the position Rashford plays in. You are now claiming that he is a #8 though his best position so far is completely different.

If we are again buying a player who excelled in another position only to play him in a different position then we could well get stuck complaining that we have signed another dud.

Crimson King

Not sure how true that is, but it looks like Kovacic is going to City at a replacement for Gundogan anyway.

It might be that the club knew this already, and quickly moved on.

NK86

It's clear that Mount has been brought in as an 8 for us, and that is also an integral position for Ten Hag's system. Other posters have explained this to you as well. Why do you keep assuming he's a 10 for us?
I am assuming nothing. I said his best position and performances have not come as an 8. No one has offered any stats to claim he will be a great fit there. His POTY season were always further up as an attacker.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When the first reports came out, I was dubitative but after thinking about it. On paper his strengths are ones that you would attribute to a box to box, he has generally been good at moving the ball and busy defensively, he is also a pretty good athlete and turned 24 in January.

Real Name

I said he had his best performances in the position Rashford plays in. You are now claiming that he is a #8 though his best position so far is completely different.

If we are again buying a player who excelled in another position only to play him in a different position then we could well get stuck complaining that we have signed another dud.
Ok. What best performances are those and in which formations?
You're telling me he had his best performances as a left winger?
He is a number 8, box to box midfielder, yes.
He wont have anything with Rashford's position.

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com...on-he-wants-to-play-in-regularly-for-chelsea/

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Based on what some random Chelsea fans you read said, whereas my look through that Chelsea forum in recent days saw other Chelsea fans saying he was less effective out wide.

Which seems pretty obvious given most people would say he is naturally a #10/#8 and he has mostly been used as one.

NK86

Based on what some random Chelsea fans you read said, whereas my look through that Chelsea forum in recent days saw other Chelsea fans saying he was less effective out wide.
I am not claiming to be an expert on Mount but I will definitely take the opinion of people who have seen Chelsea more than me. I doubt any of us have watched him play more than Chelsea fans, so random or not, they will have a more informed opinion. Would you not agree?

Highfather_24

Not going for someone like McAllister/Kovacic who are so much better on the ball, is rather confusing.

What we have struggled this season is with buildup play in midfield whenever Eriksen doesnt play. We can play out of a press. Mount/Rabiot will not help with that.

Underwhelming.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I am assuming nothing. I said his best position and performances have not come as an 8. No one has offered any stats to claim he will be a great fit there. His POTY season were always further up as an attacker.
His best position is set by the manager, and he see's him as an 8.
He's home grown, 24, has a lot of potential in that role and it also happens to be in a role we are actively looking to fill. Plus, the manager clearly wants him.

Also - you most certainly assumed his positioning by comparing him to Bruno and Rashford earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.