Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Would he have improved our midfield today? That’s the question we should be asking. Mount cannot add more workrate than Fred, so his workrate which is mooted as one of his biggest strengths is quite useless if we don’t have midfielders capable of creating from the deep. Is Mount capable of doing that? I don’t think so. We desperately need a proper central midfielder who won’t lose possession easily and also can make quick incisive passes that hurts opponents or sets off our attack.
I think the real question you should be asking is would we have ran the same formation and tactics if we had Mount today? People are automatically assuming he is going to straight up replace Eriksen in the same system in the same role, or overly concerned that we will not sign anybody else when they already stated ETH wants both Mount AND Rice, which means he's definitely also looking for another profile of midfielder; the one we are all asking for. Whether that is Rice or someone else.

redIndianDevil

Looking at how little Eriksen or Sancho offered, why not? I'm not saying he is the complete answer but I think he would be ahead of a lot of the players who are already in the squad.
The problem today was not workrate, our midfielders simply couldn’t pass against City’s pressure. No player was willing to turn fearing pressure and made slow unimaginative passes. Mount’s weakness is the same, he is not good enough under pressure. He’d just have been another body in the midfield today.

redIndianDevil

I think the real question you should be asking is would we have ran the same formation and tactics if we had Mount today? People are automatically assuming he is going to straight up replace Eriksen in the same system in the same role, or overly concerned that we will not sign anybody else when they already stated ETH wants both Mount AND Rice, which means he's definitely also looking for another profile of midfielder; the one we are all asking for. Whether that is Rice or someone else.
The fear is that our transfer fee is limited. If we had a 200m budget for this window no one would be batting an eyelid. If we spend on Mount that means we are compromising either the striker or the goalkeeper or some other crucial position.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I really can't get over this idea of us using Casemiro as the sole midfielder with Fernandes and Mount pushing up. It might be what Ten Hag wants but it seems fundamentally wrong. We've been screaming out for a bit of control in midfield for the majority of the season and now we're doubling down on the gung ho midfield with Mount in place of Eriksen. Not only that but we're going to have to pay stupid money for the privilege, with a player who will be out of contract next summer.

Even more frustrating when there are players like Caicedo and Ugarte who will be readily available this summer and we're seemingly ignoring them.
It can definitely work against the "lesser" teams where we also struggled to score against this season. Mount is an answer, maybe not THE answer, but he gives options. People are panicking like we don't have three full months to get another midfielder in as well.

redIndianDevil

This is not that easy. Fred and Eriksen are very high level players and to significantly upgrade on them , well cost you 80-100 like Rice.
Exactly the point many are trying to make. Why spend 60m on Mount when you can spend a bit more and upgrade properly?

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
The fear is that our transfer fee is limited. If we had a 200m budget for this window no one would be batting an eyelid. If we spend on Mount that means we are compromising either the striker or the goalkeeper or some other crucial position.
@Messier1994 posted a nice overview of what our transfer budget could look like with sale of players. Our TB could jump to around 300 from just selling McT, Henderson and Maguire. So I'm basing it off that, since those three are heavily linked and likely to move on.

redIndianDevil

It can definitely work against the "lesser" teams where we also struggled to score against this season. Mount is an answer, maybe not THE answer, but he gives options. People are panicking like we don't have three full months to get another midfielder in as well.
We are underestimating the weakness of “lesser” teams. We couldn’t do anything against Brentford, West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle etc.

redIndianDevil

@Messier1994 posted a nice overview of what our transfer budget could look like with sale of players. Our TB could jump to around 300 from just selling McT, Henderson and Maguire. So I'm basing it off that, since those three are heavily linked and likely to move on.
Could be helpful if you could link that post. 300m is indeed a good amount of money but doesn’t seem believable. We couldn’t spend a penny in transfer fee in the January and we are getting continuous reports that our transfer budget would be 100m + player sales.

Eddy_JukeZ

His ball carrying is something we sorely lack in midfield.

Wasn't a fan of the move, but we need better players in midfield and he was pretty good for Chelsea 2 seasons running.

Don't think we should go over 60m though.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
We are underestimating the weakness of “lesser” teams. We couldn’t do anything against Brentford, West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle etc.
I mean I wouldn't necessarily classify Brighton and Newcastle as those lesser teams. For those I agree you would want more safety there. Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace are examples of where Mount - Bruno could do real damage and help impose our will on teams like his Ajax teams used to do, games where we dropped points and shouldn't have.

Hi guys, hope everything is well.

I did an updated forecast for how much costs we can incur on the transfer market this summer:

The relevant figure is app. £48.2m, which can be put in relation to that the cost for signing a £100m player on a 5 year deal at 200k a week is app. 30m. This mean that our maximum spend this summer -- without selling any players -- would be app. 100-150m.

But remember, if we sell players, it wouldn't impact our transfer budget on a pound in/pound out basis. Just selling Maguire, Henderson and McTominay for say £60m reduces our costs significantly:

This would immediately increase our potential transfer spend to £300m.

With this in mind, I think the information in the El Pais about a week ago is immensely interesting (via google translate):

But isn't this a complete fantasty? Could we really spend Boehly money? I wouldn't say "easily", but if ETH get ruthless and we sell players to raise capital -- and we sell players not to get rid of them, but to raise capital (Lindelof and AWB) it should definitely be possible. If we make the below sales we could spend 500m, i.e. manage to sell Sancho for 30m (his 350k/week salary amounts to 20-25m basically, so thats like getting 50-60m for him), 20m for Maguire, zero for Martial, 30m for Lindelof, zero for Telles, 25m for Henderson, zero for Bailly and 20m for McTominay.

This would explain why we are connected to RBs and RCBs despite AWB and Lindelof playing really well lately. I mean AWB is our No 1 RB right now, perhaps its Dalot that is going?

With the above said -- this is basically what Raine is telling buyers is possible (and it is) -- without any capital contribution (the money would be drawn from a new credit line) -- it of course don't mean that either Sheik Jassim or Ineos would do it.
This is the one I was talking about! Sorry should have added it instantly but was lazy, hehe.

redIndianDevil

I mean I wouldn't necessarily classify Brighton and Newcastle as those lesser teams. For those I agree you would want more safety there. Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace are examples of where Mount - Bruno could do real damage and help impose our will on teams like his Ajax teams used to do, games where we dropped points and shouldn't have.

This is the one I was talking about! Sorry should have added it instantly but was lazy, hehe.
Thanks for linking the post. I’ll probably look at it later, too my maths does my head in.

If it’s real that we can spend 200-300m I’ll definitely be happy that we can address number of positions.

the number of PL teams who just make up numbers is reducing every season. Aston Villa is another club who we struggled against. Gone are the days we can sleepwalk wins against mid table teams.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm not loving this.. think it's a terrible idea. Hasn't got the mentality and always comes across as someone who thinks they are better than they actually are.

Surely, we can get someone else?
Why do so many people say this about English players? Is confidence and self belief frowned upon on this place?

hobbers

Why do so many people say this about English players? Is confidence and self belief frowned upon on this place?
Probably because English players who show a bit of promise are always massively overhyped in the media and most of them end up duds. For every Rooney there's a Wilshere and for every Kane there's a Dele Alli.

And because of the importance of home grown players big clubs massively overpay English talent relative to their potential, and that in turn inflates their egos and also leads to some of them putting their feet up on their careers without achieving anything.

Kellyiom

It’s a contract issue. I honestly don’t think there’s any difference between United and Chelsea if a player wants to win trophies and if you’re already at one of those clubs, swapping one for another doesn’t really enhance chances to win trophies.
Thanks for that, it makes sense. Given Chelsea's spending there must be a kernel of a very good team in there that maybe just needs tweaking and developed through coaching while our core team has some well-known weaknesses.

marktan

In what planet is this guy suddenly going for 60m??

A penny over £35m and it's already overpriced.

McAlister I'm not too keen on for the £60m+ price but he's twice the player Mount is.

More to the point he's not a player we really need. He's not a DM, he's not a box to box, he's not a technical AM. He's more of an AM that runs a lot, which doesn't really do much for us since we have Bruno.

kaku06

McAlister I'm not too keen on for the £60m+ price but he's twice the player Mount is.

More to the point he's not a player we really need. He's not a DM, he's not a box to box, he's not a technical AM. He's more of an AM that runs a lot, which doesn't really do much for us since we have Bruno.
Can’t spell his name correctly but knows so much about football. How Mac allister is twice the player? Please elaborate. I swear some people just love to rant.

kaku06

As for this point, we definitely need a player like him and Ten Hag tends to agree.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Having watched us play against City in FA cup final with 4141 setup, I actually understand more why ETH wants Mount in this team. He would be perfect fit to play no.8 pressing role in the final third, while also improving our overall attacking play with his passing, ball carrying and able to switch multiple position. Imagine him combining Fred mobility/pressing, with Eriksen ball playing/passing/setpiece in such role.

berbasloth4

How much did we struggle without Casemiro and Eriksen were missing?

would it not be better to have better midfield back ups?

Eddy_JukeZ

How much did we struggle without Casemiro and Eriksen were missing?

would it not be better to have better midfield back ups?
Mount is going to slot in for Eriksen.

ETH wants to have 2 roaming #8s in front of a lone DM. One of the fullbacks will invert for extra numbers in midfield

It's how his Ajax team played.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure what it is saying different, in the very first line it says he will be the highest paid defender in Chelsea's history,

here is the same guy tweeting about it and as per Chelsea reddit, he is reliable. Covers Chelsea for Atheltic.

A few years ago Chelsea signed a long term shirt deal with Nike, It was reported at the time that it was the biggest shirt deal ever in the PL.

At the time Utd’s deal was in excess of the £60 Million pa Chelsea were going to get but Utd better pa deal was over a shorter term.

I couldn’t get my head around such a basic error in the claim so I asked a national sports journalist how such a schoolboy error could be made.

He told me that it was correct because over the 15year @£60million the deal was for £900million and no other club deal was signed for that sum ( Utd’s signed with Adidas over 10 years in 2014 was @£75 million or £750 million )

KK may be getting paid more per week than James but the contracts length are vastly different and so to the statement which is correct that he will be the highest paid defender in Chelsea’s history

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
The fact a Chelsea fan is trying to sell him on a United forum speaks volumes on Mount. If he was any good you would be desperate to keep him.

It’s like me trying to convince Newcastle fans that McTomminay is a good signing for them.

I’m pretty sure Todd can’t believe his luck that United want to sign a player they will bin to the reserves next season according to you.

Also, 20 league starts is half the season. So he missed the other half. We already have enough sick notes in our squad. And as you pointed out at least Fred is always available.

And “his ceiling” is just a figment of your imagination. What he’s shown so far in his career has been average at best. He’s not good enough for a top 6 side. His level is Aston Villa, Brighton or Everton.
It seems that you don’t quite get that when a player is in the last year of his contract and refuses to sign an extension then the club will do everything they can to move them on if the want a return on their asset.What I said there would be a threat of being made to train etc away from the first team squad and quite simply Mount at his age almost certainly couldn’t afford for that to happen.

Mount is 24 years of age.Since returning from Derby Mount has played in 4 season 53 in 19/20 , 54 in 20/21, 53 in 21/22 and 35 in 22/23 some 195 appearances scoring 33 of which 27 have been inthe league

Fred in the same four seasons has featured in 213 games scoring 14 of which 8 have been in the league. not really that much of a difference in terms of always been available but Fred had got what 2-3 years left playing at PL level Mount maybe 7-8 so yes Mount in my opinion has a higher ceiling

As for him not being good enough for a top 6 club ok I know football is all about opinions but doubt yours is shared by many

Reactions: top1whoisman

Josep Dowling

Do we a confirmed fee yet? 1 year on his contract surely we aren’t spending over £50m. Why does United allow themselves to get rinsed by every club. Mané sold for £30m last season and he’s a far better player.

JPB

Having watched us play against City in FA cup final with 4141 setup, I actually understand more why ETH wants Mount in this team. He would be perfect fit to play no.8 pressing role in the final third, while also improving our overall attacking play with his passing, ball carrying and able to switch multiple position. Imagine him combining Fred mobility/pressing, with Eriksen ball playing/passing/setpiece in such role.
"With Eriksen ball playing/passing" :lol:

Bondi77

Anything north of 45mil for a player with one year left on his contract is crazy!

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Do we a confirmed fee yet? 1 year on his contract surely we aren’t spending over £50m. Why does United allow themselves to get rinsed by every club. Mané sold for £30m last season and he’s a far better player.

Mane was 30 when transferred Mount is 24. Mane was giving a 3 year deal whereas I suspect wherever Mount goes it will be as a minimum of 5.

As for being a better player without doubt Mane has had a fabulous career but that career is very much in its last throes

dinostar77

I really can't get over this idea of us using Casemiro as the sole midfielder with Fernandes and Mount pushing up. It might be what Ten Hag wants but it seems fundamentally wrong. We've been screaming out for a bit of control in midfield for the majority of the season and now we're doubling down on the gung ho midfield with Mount in place of Eriksen. Not only that but we're going to have to pay stupid money for the privilege, with a player who will be out of contract next summer.

Even more frustrating when there are players like Caicedo and Ugarte who will be readily available this summer and we're seemingly ignoring them.
Neither of them will help you control possession. They arent mobile number 8s to pass and probe, thats not their roles. Both bring energy to a midfield, but more in a casemiro role.

Eddy_JukeZ

Mane was older, not homegrown and he's ironically looked absolutely finished this season. Liverpool were lucky they got even 30mil for him.

izec

What we need is obvious. Press resistant players. Mount is another lightweight.

If we sign him, we've learnt nothing. Another Kagawa, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Donny, Sancho, Eriksen.
I agree. He is not the right player or profile. Squad depth level for big money.

Bondi77

You think anyone’s gonna get Kane for £45 million ?
No, my fault I suppose as I should have said I was referring to Mount.
But saying that I think it is just as crazy with the figures that are mentioned about Kane given his age.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We will probably buy this guy to continue our tradition of collecting average players. Would he get in Madrid's midfield?
Would Eriksen get into madrids midfield? Mount is miles better then fred and mctominay and will probably offer more then Eriksen. Eriksen struggles in big game as he’s to slow and old now.

cyberman

The problem today was not workrate, our midfielders simply couldn’t pass against City’s pressure. No player was willing to turn fearing pressure and made slow unimaginative passes. Mount’s weakness is the same, he is not good enough under pressure. He’d just have been another body in the midfield today.
You saw what Citys pressure did to our midfield for large periods of the game. They didn’t beat us by keeping possession, they constantly boxed our player with the ball off and nicked the ball time and time again. Under Tuchel Mount constantly came out on top against Citys midfield so it’s not as if we are signing an unknown here.
We aren’t looking to be possession based, again look at Liverpool more than City. It looks as if Ten Hag is going for constant midfield pressure with a bit of creative slant when close to the box. We simply aren’t being built to have possession through midfield, that much is clear.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Mount did build all those stats by playing around two wasteful Germans,one injury prone American,one moody moraccon and one big fat Belgian.

He will be a hit for you if you sign him. You will enjoy his game and effort for team s cause especially stadium goers who able to see his entire movement and effort. Never mind about tv watching moaning keyboard warriors.

davidmichael

If it’s £50 million over 5 years therefore £10 million a year on the balance sheet then it’s not a bad deal for Mount, if we’re able to do a deal for Rice throwing in one of Maguire or McTominay and it maybe costing us £10-£15 million a year over 5 years again that’s not a bad deal and they’d both be an upgrade on our entire midfield outside of Fernandes and Casemiro.

saivet

It is a bit funny to see how many references there are to him making the assist in the CL final, then seeing a thread called "Donkai Havertz" just below it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
"With Eriksen ball playing/passing" :lol:
What do you mean? Mount is actually very good in passing and pretty decent in ball playing. Here's his passing/ball playing stats from 20-22:

20/21:
pass %: 86.5%
key pass per game: 2.4
assist: 9
progressive pass: 7.26 (90%)
progressive carries: 4.08 (96%)
Shot creating action: 5.26 (99%)

21/22:
pass %: 85.4%
key pass per game: 1.8
assist: 16
progressive pass: 6.25 (93%)
progressive carries: 3.50 (66%)
Shot creating action: 4.53 (87%)

And here's Eriksen stats this season:

22/23
pass %: 84.6%
key pass per game: 1.2
assist: 11
progressive pass: 7.21 (89%)
progressive carries: 1.01 (41%)
Shot creating action: 3.12 (71%)

Mount's passing/ball playing stats from 20-22 are actually even better than Eriksen this season, beats him in every criteria there.

Status
Not open for further replies.