Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

they are getting Harvetz (even if I wouldn't want him, they do) and have now bid £105m for Rice. I'm not interested in last season, I'm interested in beng able to challenge next season
If United bid above and beyond what players are worth they would get them too.

cyberman

It's all part of the negotiations. We paid all £80m of Maguire's transfer upfront.
Yeah but the story here seems to be we won’t pay 58m up front when the reality is we value him at 55m. So it’s not a case of what we can afford but sticking to our value of the player.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah but the story here seems to be we won’t pay 58m up front when the reality is we value him at 55m. So it’s not a case of what we can afford but sticking to our value of the player.
Well we can't really afford it either, we have £100m to spend this summer which means we can sign multiple players as long as the upfront payment isn't massive. Dropping £60m on Mount means we only have £40m left for whatever other upfront payments we have later in the window. It would essentially cut our business short, when the reality is we need at least 4 players this window.

crossy1686

career ending
On what conditions, in your opinion, will that work out?
For his price and the position he plays in his goals and assists need to improve, and he also needs to stop cutting inside and shooting all the time, or at least get very good at it. Then he will have justified his valuation.

cyberman

Well we can't really afford it either, we have £100m to spend this summer which means we can sign multiple players as long as the upfront payment isn't massive. Dropping £60m on Mount means we only have £40m left for whatever other upfront payments we have later in the window. It would essentially cut our business short, when the reality is we need at least 4 players this window.
I’m not even sure this is true. Pretty sure the entire transfer fee is amortised over the length of the contract
Maguire is the example you used. That was all up front and that’s amortised hence losing 20m (I think) off of ffp if we sell him this summer

Mainoldo

That doesn’t make sense. This is how all transfers with add ons are conducted? Why would we pay more up front and more in add ons?

Probably means payment structure of the upfront fee. I know West Ham was unhappy Arsenal wanted to pay in 4 instalments.

astracrazy

He got Antony last season, until that works out we need to be careful how much 'backing' managers get.
He also got Martinez, Erikson and Casemiro.......

We backed him in to overpaying for Antony last season. That has impact down the line.
I can find reports linking us to Antony as far back as the beginning of June last year, which would perhaps suggest it was the boards fault (who have history of overpaying last minute for players). Hardly his fault we overpaid.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m not even sure this is true. Pretty sure the entire transfer fee is amortised over the length of the contract
Maguire is the example you used. That was all up front and that’s amortised hence losing 20m (I think) off of ffp if we sell him this summer
It is, you're right, but we only have £100m in the bank and Chelsea want £60m of that upfront, on the books it's amortised over the length of the contract but we're still down £60m today. So then we'd be in a tight spot with only having £40m left to spend upfront.

Real Name

For his price and the position he plays in his goals and assists need to improve, and he also needs to stop cutting inside and shooting all the time, or at least get very good at it. Then he will have justified his valuation.
Thanks. I hope then ETH will be allowed to be backed but only if Antony fulfills all those requirements.

crossy1686

career ending
Thanks. I hope then ETH will be allowed to be backed but only if Antony fulfills all those requirements.
I like Antony, I see potential in him and I really like his desire and fight, but he has to improve in a few areas otherwise he's an expensive flop that could cost the manager his job, because for the price we paid he simply has to play. I know there were reports early in the summer that he wanted Antony but £70m - £90m, it's all the same, it's a lot of money.

acnumber9

He also got Martinez, Erikson and Casemiro.......

I can find reports linking us to Antony as far back as the beginning of June last year, which would perhaps suggest it was the boards fault (who have history of overpaying last minute for players). Hardly his fault we overpaid.
It’s not directly his fault but it still impacts what we can later do. Provided we don’t crumble and pay more for Mount then the approach will be successful. Ideally we would have other options.

Real Name

I like Antony, I see potential in him and I really like his desire and fight, but he has to improve in a few areas otherwise he's an expensive flop that could cost the manager his job, because for the price we paid he simply has to play. I know there were reports early in the summer that he wanted Antony but £70m - £90m, it's all the same, it's a lot of money.
Its just a strange concept of not backing him until a big transfer doesnt work out. Who's deciding if transfer worked out, the board? The club is backing him over Mount but they've set the limits which means he isnt backed blindly on this one.

crossy1686

career ending
Its just a strange concept of not backing him until a big transfer doesnt work out. Who's deciding if transfer worked out, the board? The club is backing him over Mount but they've set the limits which means he isnt backed blindly on this one.
And I like that approach, that's fair in my opinion. I'm not saying he shouldn't be backed, I'm just saying we should be careful about who the manager wants us to sign at any cost because we end up with a squad of mismatched players from different managers styles. It would be a lot better if we had a DOF to handle all this then it wouldn't matter at all.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Can't disagree with you but doesn't that throw a spotlight as to why Mount is out primary target?

He appears to be a replacement for Eriksen yet our greater need is an out and out goalscorer.

Wouldn't the Mount fee be better spent going all in for a top striker?

cyberman

Yes but paying upfront cost isn’t paying 55/60m all at once otherwise that would simply be paying the fee in one go

Real Name

And I like that approach, that's fair in my opinion. I'm not saying he shouldn't be backed, I'm just saying we should be careful about who the manager wants us to sign at any cost because we end up with a squad of mismatched players from different managers styles. It would be a lot better if we had a DOF to handle all this then it wouldn't matter at all.
How does DoF work other than finding a profile of a player manager wants.

crossy1686

career ending
Can't disagree with you but doesn't that throw a spotlight as to why Mount is out primary target?

He appears to be a replacement for Eriksen yet our greater need is an out and out goalscorer.

Wouldn't the Mount fee be better spent going all in for a top striker?
Our greatest need is controlling games instead of surrendering possession at will. If we can keep the ball we will fashion more high quality chances and stop conceding daft one's. I honestly don't think we'll sign a forward this summer, we'll go all out for one next year I think, maybe two.

crossy1686

career ending
Because they would ensure the players being purchased would be able to play in the system the club is trying to instill and that the manager's we sign all adhere to the same kind of system, something like what Brighton do.

Gordon S

The hope must be that the DoF know a thing or two about setting up a strong and functional squad himself. And that he already set a certain vision on how the clubs football should be played. That way he can also try to find managers that seems to have the right ideas for this vision.
I don´t know if Brighton got lucky with finding de Zerbi to take over for Potter, but it certainly seemed like they had a damn good clue what they were doing. He fit in very well and made the football work from day 1.

Crimson King

Our greatest need is controlling games instead of surrendering possession at will. If we can keep the ball we will fashion more high quality chances and stop conceding daft one's. I honestly don't think we'll sign a forward this summer, we'll go all out for one next year I think, maybe two.
That would be crazy, you're basically relying on Rashford and Martial.

Our biggest problem last season was performing well below our XG. We need a proper striker.

Real Name

The hope must be that the DoF know a thing or two about setting up a strong and functional squad himself. And that he already set a certain vision on how the clubs football should be played. That way he can also try to find managers that seems to have the right ideas for this vision.
I don´t know if Brighton got lucky with finding de Zerbi to take over for Potter, but it certainly seemed like they had a damn good clue what they were doing. He fit in very well and made the football work from day 1.
True but I dont think he'd set up a squad without a cooperation with the manager.

crossy1686

career ending
That would be crazy, you're basically relying on Rashford and Martial.

Our biggest problem last season was performing well below our XG. We need a proper striker.
And Bruno, Mount, Sancho, Antony, Eriksen, Casemiro, Garnacho to pitch in with goals. Something we don't do enough is score team goals, which is something Ajax used to do a lot of. You've only got to win a game 1-0 to get 3 points.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are just going to stall the deal until the final days of transfer window and will probably increase it by £3m or so at that point, which will be deemed as sufficient and considered a win by Chelsea. They will have less leverage as the transfer window progresses as they are at risk of losing him for free next year.

Gordon S

True but I dont think he'd set up a squad without a cooperation with the manager.
Our DoF would obviously never do it.
We have seen over the years that the higher ups don´t really give a toss about what kind of football we are playing.
Ultra possession under LvG, no problem.
Ultra defensive and negative football under Jose? No problem
Somewhere in between under Ole, no problem
If Erik were to decide to do something nuts next season, it would be fine as well.

I would be fine if the DoF set up a general direction for team. Pretty sure most managers have their wishes but have to make do with what they get.

MegadrivePerson

So much for walking away!

Selling clubs just know that they will ultimately force United to pay the fee that they want them to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.