Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Im not fussed. He's a team player though, like a more attacking version of Fletcher. If Declan Rice is £100m then this deal is about right. Not many complaints from me.

DavelinaJolie

I've seen a few, raises the floor, not the ceiling comments which I like tbh. Remember how much people were moaning about Bruno when his form drops off? How leggy Eriksen got in the second half? Casemiro after the suspension? Fred?

We need some consistent performers to help level out some of the oscillations. Hopefully the striker signing should it happen will raise the ceiling.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'm just happy we can finally move on from this and hopefully start locking down players for positions more critical at this point (though I do think Mount will end up working well for us, and wish him welcome). Rice and Kane next and we ll become the most British team in the top of the PL.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I don't think we will ever get the specific details (though maybe we will) but I would imagine this is probably spread over years, my guess would be about 20 mill to be paid now. I think one of the reasons we've gone for Mount is the ability to get him on a relatively good deal in terms of spreading the cost and not necessarily spending so much money upfront. There's absolutely no chance we've paid 55 mill upfront. There's money for a GK and Forward so long as we can get favourable deals on good terms in the sense of spreading the payments and not so much upfront
From everything I’ve read that’s how pretty much all transfers work. So nothing different here, it will affect our budget just as others do.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Over the moon with this signing. Obviously Ten Hag knew exactly who he wanted and aggressively went and got him. A young, combative #8 who is a combo of fantastic attacking midfielder and very good defender, very competent ball carrier, and will get you a fair amount of goals. Adds a perfect balance to the Bruno and Casemiro midfield, and an aging Erickson, who is so much that Mason is not, will be a great option depending on the situation.

This guy was Chelsea's best player in a CL winning side just a couple years ago and is an England international regular at only 24. Understandably had an off season with the Roman/Todd/Gram Pothead/Phat Phranck circus, which has given us this amazing opportunity. Not a fashionable midfielder nor a Brighton flavor of the year, which probably has put off some footballing geniuses, but Ten Hag knows exactly what he's doing and has pulled off a coup . . . imo.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Over the moon with this signing. Obviously Ten Hag knew exactly who he wanted and aggressively went and got him. A young, combative #8 who is a combo of fantastic attacking midfielder and very good defender, and will get you a fair amount of goals. Adds a perfect balance to the Bruno and Casemiro midfield, and an aging Erickson, who is so much that Mason is not, will be a great option depending on the situation.

This guy was Chelsea's best player in a CL winning side just a couple years ago and is an England international regular at only 24. Understandably had an off season with the Roman/Todd/Gram Pothead/Phat Phranck circus, which has given us this amazing opportunity. Not a fashionable midfielder nor a Brighton flavor of the year, which probably has put off some footballing geniuses, but Ten Hag knows exactly what he's doing and has pulled off a coup . . . imo.
For the record, Mason Mount has never been an 8. Not once. He's played as a 10, but in Chelsea's banner year with him was actually essentially a forward playing in front of Kova, Kante, and Jorginho

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, that's exactly the case. It's not because I believe we've overpaid a rival for an average player in his last year of his contract who wants away from his club because they've pissed him off.

And in the process we've given Chelsea the money to buy an actual quality young player for years to come who was much more important for us than some wishy-washy Chelski fan.

But keep spouting nonsense and I'll be happy to come back to this in a couple of years, similar to Maguire who was overrated from the start.
We wanted Mount over Caceido. We should focus on our own plan and not think about fecking over others. A proper DOF who is aligned and has faith in their own plan doesn't need to do anything else.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Decent signing but surely we need a Casemiro back up if we're intending to play Bruno and Mount regularly.

joso157

Some of the negativity on here really is laughable. Chelsea Academy player of the year, and player of the year two seasons running, his numbers were up in the top 10 across the board before last season, clearly a player EtH wants so that's enough for me. Anyone basing anything on last season needs to sit back, take a breath and actually think logically. Chelsea were a complete joke last season, like us under Ragnick only a lot worse! Impossible for anyone to look good in that team.

Reactions: 711

STYLOISRED

That was my reply just before the champions league final.Incredibly, Bernardo had the 'assist' before the Rodri goal.

I dont know why our fans rave on a player who has done nothing big in his own career yet in 2 years he will be 30 years old.
Imagine Bruno having a champions league final assist to a winning goal. Cafe would explode with adoration yet Bruno has never played in a champions league semi final in his career to date.
But miraculously, we want to win big titles with him being the talisman of the team.

If we need to move a level ahead in our pursuit for glory then many of these players need to leave.
Players who have won absolutely nothing in their careers, getting obscene salaries, while being treated like royalty.
The Bruno's, Maguire, Fred, Bissaka, Martial, Sancho of this world these are players who have never won any meaningful titles in their careers, never been involved in any crunch matches as a norm but are revered and get obscene amount of money yet they have failed to deliver to date. Not that they will turn out like Salah.

See the difference, someone young like Licha, Antony, say old Case players who have won league titles do to a team. It's completely visible the difference between a player who has won league titles + champions league and these other players.

Its one thing that killed Arsenal this season. Having players who know how to win. Us we have multiple players who just are okay being in auto-pilot mode of a top4. Harry-Kane style.
I have seen stupid takes on the cafe. This one is number one. By this stupid logic Gabriel Jesus is a better striker than Harry Kane.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s tactically perfect and can play in several positions.

We are 3 years off City and the ability to have 2 players in every position. Having one player that can play in several spots is essential right now.

He’d be a waste of money if he was 28. As it is, it’s a very solid signing and I think he’ll be great at the club and become a fan favourite inside 24 months.
So he’s almost definitely going to end up playing LW like every other forward player we sign

Raven

Yeah, only £3.9m per year more.

Ha, "reservations"

So far today we've had people;

1) Complain that he's not Caicedo
2) Complain about the transfer fee
3) Complain about the wages
4) Complain about him not doing anything last season
5) Complain, complain, complain.

We've also had people come in to proclaim that it's guaranteed that Chelsea will finish above us, that the club hasn't learned from previous lessons, that Mount will be shit before he's even kicked a ball in training for us. All of the posts that fit the above, except one or two, say anything remotely neutral let alone positive at any point. It's just moaning.

"Reservations"? Nah, it's just folk on the Caf doing what they do best; shitting on any piece of good news and trying to bring everyone else down to their level of misery. And it's boring as feck.
As far as I'm aware, nobody has claimed were we're guaranteed to finish below Chelsea. There's a good chance of it I think and it'll look mighty stupid of us given that they'll be replacing him with Caicedo, who should have been our number 1 target.

STYLOISRED

Don't agree, I think this puts even more weight on Casemiro in build up phase going forward. It is a huge money as well.

But hey, I hope my opinion will look like an absolute idiot and you will be correct.
Many seem to think that we will play like City do. I think ETH is leaning towards the Klopp approach. Aggressive pressing in midfield and progression from the flanks.
Edit: it could also Explain the why he wants Onana. Using the goalkeeper and CBs(Shaw as well) as playmakers from deep.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah, only £3.9m per year more.

Ha, "reservations"

So far today we've had people;

1) Complain that he's not Caicedo
2) Complain about the transfer fee
3) Complain about the wages
4) Complain about him not doing anything last season
5) Complain, complain, complain.

We've also had people come in to proclaim that it's guaranteed that Chelsea will finish above us, that the club hasn't learned from previous lessons, that Mount will be shit before he's even kicked a ball in training for us. All of the posts that fit the above, except one or two, say anything remotely neutral let alone positive at any point. It's just moaning.

"Reservations"? Nah, it's just folk on the Caf doing what they do best; shitting on any piece of good news and trying to bring everyone else down to their level of misery. And it's boring as feck.
That's a ton of hyperbole for people not acting like signing Mason Mount is like signing prime Zidane

Also everything you mentioned are valid criticisms or points to make, you just don't seem to like it that some aren't as optimistic on a, at best, pretty risky transfer deal that the club just made.

DevTheRed

Decent enough player who improves the squad.. but we have definitely overpaid and his wages are high too. Feel like we could’ve got a better player for the money we paid elsewhere.

English tax and United tax is real.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Thought you had agreed a deal and then your new DoF changed the terms, which pissed Mount off? Anyway, Boehly has fantastic football judgement as he’s shown. :p
That deal was £200 and his side wanted more. He wanted Sterling money. Sterling and KK were given stupid wages because Tuchel wanted them.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I think "PL proven" is a very vague term that tends to get brutally overrused just for a player that started games in the league over multiple years. People would have told you Connor Gallagher would be brilliant for Chelsea last year because he was already PL proven with Palace the year before; nope, he was just a crap cardio merchant. There's also countless examples of players that aren't "PL proven" that come in and immediately make an impact.

By your logic though, we should have no issue selling McTominay for 30-40m right? Prem proven, only 26, versatile midfielder. Easy deal yeah?
If you are comparing Gallagher and Mount then I rest my case. He was one of their best players until an year back.

40m is a stretch but Scott should fetch somewhere between 25 - 30 which would be similar to what Gallagher would also go.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Many seem to think that we will play like City do. I think ETH is leaning towards the Klopp approach. Aggressive pressing in midfield and progression from the flanks.
Edit: it could also Explain the why he wants Onana. Using the goalkeeper and CBs(Shaw as well) as playmakers from deep.
If that's the case (and I think you're somewhat right), then Ten Hag better figure out how to bin off his favorite son Antony and find a new right back as well. Because Liverpool's style stemmed from having Mo Salah and the best creative fullback possibly ever behind him.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
But also he can become a Mata signing of we are not careful.
ETH has to gradually shift from Bruno in the next 18 months and Mount takes that attacking midfield as we recruit another midfielder in 12 months.
But if Bruno persist in the midfield, then the main issues will remain. We need a physical, ball carrying, half-turn, possession magnet midfielders to which sadly Bruno has non of those qualities. Mount can solve 1-2 of those problems but still he can't do it alone.
But if the longterm plan is playing Mount & Bruno then this will be like the Mata signing
All that really doesn't make sense sorry. Signing Mount has nothing to do with the need to sign other players as well.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I've seen a few, raises the floor, not the ceiling comments which I like tbh. Remember how much people were moaning about Bruno when his form drops off? How leggy Eriksen got in the second half? Casemiro after the suspension? Fred?

We need some consistent performers to help level out some of the oscillations. Hopefully the striker signing should it happen will raise the ceiling.
Good take

Valencia Shin Crosses

If you are comparing Gallagher and Mount then I rest my case. He was one of their best players until an year back.

40m is a stretch but Scott should fetch somewhere between 25 - 30 which would be similar to what Gallagher would also go.
I'm not comparing them, I'm using Gallagher as a point about a player that many would consider "prem proven" because I think the term is a fecking overused cliche.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
For the record, Mason Mount has never been an 8. Not once. He's played as a 10, but in Chelsea's banner year with him was actually essentially a forward playing in front of Kova, Kante, and Jorginho
Erm, Phat Phranck used him quite a bit as an 8 both for Chelsea and Derby, so you don't really know what you're talking about. Mason has also mentioned that 8 is his preferred position. Having Bruno, it's obvious Ten Hag got him to play him as a box to box 8, which is exactly what we need. You could see this so lacking in Erickson. Maybe you you know something Ten Hag doesn't, which you surely think you do.

Harold_Giles

If we had signed him last year, I think most posters would be over the moon.
He was excellent then and the season before, price tag probably close to 100m.

At least I'm very excited, always rated him.

flappyjay

Chelsea have this kind of player nailed down from their academy, hence the reason they’re happy to sell the likes of Gallagher and Mount. They’ve always got another one coming through.
One of their young midfielders got the goldenboot and the golden ball at the u20 world cup. Then there is the lad they bought from villa last year. Its no surprise that almost every summer they get around a 100m in sales.

rio's upper lip

Crazy money for a guy on an outgoing contract, but the wages are even crazier. Our wage structure is forever fecked, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.