Mason Mount's Misfortune

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Wasn’t all that thrilled when we got linked but he will work hard for the team and show that extra bit of fight that we miss often, the number 7 I expected Garnacho but have no problem with him getting it. Hopefully a good signing for many years to come.

cpresc

I would be very surprised by this. Mason Mount does not play the same way Eriksen does, so I cannot see that. Eriksen is a passer, our best passer, and can set the tempo of a game. Additionally, with his recent health issues, i would be surprised, very, very surprised, that he would accept this stage of his career being played from the bench. Eriksen would start for many very, very good football clubs. Remember last season, he was brutally injured, and came back when the whole team was flagging.

Some of us are far, far too quick to write off players. Eriksen is quality and will compliment an attacking midfielder such as Mount. I would prefer to see Bruno, Mount, Ericksen, Casimero play, espcially at home... the other players like Rashford, No 9, full backs would love that.
Eriksen was exhausted by the business end of the season - he's good for one game a week max and King Eric II is well aware of this. Mount is here to play in the first XI for sure.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Really excited about this signing. Think he'll go on to be a bit of a hero for us.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
ETH making it sound like Mount is prime Scholes or something.

A midfielder should never wear #7. This is a shambles!
To just pile up further, shirt numbers were not assigned to specific individuals in England before 1993. The whole history of squad numbers in football is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_(association_football). In short, #7 was initially (we're talking the 1920s and 1930s now) used for the 'outside right' player (a right winger; works for Beckham, not for Ronaldo), but that evolved as formations changed, and #7 was generally used for midfielders in 4-4-2 formations (alongside #4, #8 ,and #11).

To get back to the 'soul of football/United', persistent squad numbers were first used at that 1954 World Cup, but were introduced in the Premier League only in 1993. Make of that what you will.

Coops73

I think he could be a shrewd signing that might just shut up the naysayers. Good luck to him.

wolvored

Will Mount be asked to do the FDJ role where he brings it out from the back with either his running/dribbling or medium/long passes? TH may be thinking of him being the BTB playmaker and can adjust to the role.

OrcaFat

I would be very surprised by this. Mason Mount does not play the same way Eriksen does, so I cannot see that. Eriksen is a passer, our best passer, and can set the tempo of a game. Additionally, with his recent health issues, i would be surprised, very, very surprised, that he would accept this stage of his career being played from the bench. Eriksen would start for many very, very good football clubs. Remember last season, he was brutally injured, and came back when the whole team was flagging.

Some of us are far, far too quick to write off players. Eriksen is quality and will compliment an attacking midfielder such as Mount. I would prefer to see Bruno, Mount, Ericksen, Casimero play, espcially at home... the other players like Rashford, No 9, full backs would love that.
Eriksen might surprise me. He has a role to play but his legs have pretty much gone.

Either way our most productive attacking player is not going to play out of position to accommodate Mount and especially not to accommodate Eriksen. Unless I’m wrong of course, we’ll soon see.

Bowlcut11

To just pile up further, shirt numbers were not assigned to specific individuals in England before 1993. The whole history of squad numbers in football is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_(association_football). In short, #7 was initially (we're talking the 1920s and 1930s now) used for the 'outside right' player (a right winger; works for Beckham, not for Ronaldo), but that evolved as formations changed, and #7 was generally used for midfielders in 4-4-2 formations (alongside #4, #8 ,and #11).

To get back to the 'soul of football/United', persistent squad numbers were first used at that 1954 World Cup, but were introduced in the Premier League only in 1993. Make of that what you will.
This is very interesting - I think I read somewhere that George Best didn't wear number 7 consistently either back in the day due to something like you mention

Ekeke

Overal positive on his signing as hes an improvement on several midfielders/ams we used this season. Has plenty to do to prove that he was the right improvement chosen over others but hopefully he does.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Who knew Mason Mount could move the dial this much in either direction. Think the reactions both ways are really OTT. He's neither a saviour nor crap, and at any other time than him being in the last year of a contract, the outlay is about right for him.

Have massive doubts about him as an #8, but we'll see, and worst comes to worst, move him into his natural role.

always_hoping

What type of player are United getting here, Improvement on whats already there or just a decent addition to improve the strength in depth of the squad?

glasgow 21

Memphis (2015-17), Alexis (2017-20) these pair got to wear the No.7 so I have no problem with Mount , move on other things to moan about surely.

ForeverRed1

Doesn't seem right to me, should have been Amad or Garnacho.

Mount should have taken the vacant 13 or 15 number.
I disagree, both too young and inexperienced to carry the shirt. Mount has played at highest level consistently and won the biggest achievement in club football with an underdog team. He was instrumental in that win too. He’s a seasoned international. His numbers are impressive (except last season which there are a few reasons for, chelsea being shite and injuries mainly). I think give garnacho the number 11and in a few years time if he wants to hang around you look at the 7. He is 5 years younger than mount.

ForeverRed1

All this fuss over a shirt number.
7 is the highest honour in a United shirt. It’s a beautiful number. (Not all have lived up to it) but it’s special. Every so often a special player occupies it. It’s time we have a new one for the history books.

Shark

@NotShark
Overal positive on his signing as hes an improvement on several midfielders/ams we used this season. Has plenty to do to prove that he was the right improvement chosen over others but hopefully he does.

I really do worry we'll become a pot shot fest with Rashford, Bruno, Antony and him in the side. Nothing wrong with taking shots of course but we seem to already waste so many great many passing opportunities with them throughout last season.

Last edited:

KjaAnd

I really hope he proves me wrong but I've never been impressed with him and I worry EtH is creating a team that's unable to compete with other PL teams physically. From the starting 11 neither Antony, Sancho, Bruno, Martinez or Mount are particularly fast or strong. Rashy is fast but quite weak, while the opposite is true for Casemiro. To an extent this can be mitigated by tactics but it's nok like we're excelling in that department either yet.

CloneMC16

Nice to know that. I've always assumed players had their own numbers forever. Well, at least in the top division teams.

I have been quoted about 10 times telling me Bryan Robson exists. I'm well aware he exists. I prefer the thought of #7 going to an attacking player. That has been our go-to since Cantona at least.

Nickelodeon

So we should give Garnacho who is still basically a child the number 7 so he can grow his brand. Great idea that, do you have anymore?
Read my post again and come back with the sentence where I say that Garnacho should be given the #7.

And even if I did, not sure why have to be unnecessarily aggressive about it. Try and be a little constructive with your limited posts.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Who all are not happy with the signing of mason mount just admit it. Want to see all of your reactions when he performs well.

Pretend to know lot more than manager.
I really do worry we'll become a pot shot fest with Rashford, Bruno, Antony and him in the side. Nothing wrong with taking shots of course but we seem to already waste so great many passing opportunities with them.
Mount not high volume shot taker. So its needless to worry about him take pot shots.

Your strong 11 put him as an attacking 8. He most likely pass lot and lot to advanced players than taking shots. If there is no option of course he will take shot and he is good at it.

Andre Kagawa

Nice to know that. I've always assumed players had their own numbers forever. Well, at least in the top division teams.

I have been quoted about 10 times telling me Bryan Robson exists. I'm well aware he exists. I prefer the thought of #7 going to an attacking player. That has been our go-to since Cantona at least.
Mason Mount is very much an 'attacking player' though.

CloneMC16

Who all are not happy with the signing of mason mount just admit it. Want to see all of your reactions when he performs well.

Pretend to know lot more than manager.

Mount not high volume shot taker. So its needless to worry about him take pot shots.

Your strong 11 put him as an attacking 8. He most likely pass lot and lot to advanced players than taking shots. If there is no option of course he will take shot and he is good at it.
I take it you have never disagreed with anything a Chelsea manager has done, then?

We are allowed to have a different opinion to the manager.