Mason Mount's Misfortune

Oscar Bonavena

I would love to see Mount given an opportunity in Bruno’s position. I wonder if it was him playing vs Wolves he’d play Hojlund through on those 2-3 occasions instead of passing wide.

I remember at Chelsea 2 or so years ago he was a very controlled and systematic player which would have suited the way we played on Thursday.
I'd like to see that too, but that's not going to happen unless Bruno is shifted out to the right wing where he's almost completely ineffective. Close to useless, even.

So, typical United, our only way of "solving" one problem (where to play Mount) is by creating another (playing Bruno out of position).

And he's not gonna drop Bruno.

flameinthesun

I would love to see Mount given an opportunity in Bruno’s position. I wonder if it was him playing vs Wolves he’d play Hojlund through on those 2-3 occasions instead of passing wide.

I remember at Chelsea 2 or so years ago he was a very controlled and systematic player which would have suited the way we played on Thursday.
Whilst unrealistic due to Bruno's standing in the team I'd like to see Mount and Mainoo as the two 8's with Casemiro behind. Would be even more interesting if we had De Jong type midfielder in Case's position.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It feels like we banked everything on Mount being some sort of answer to our need to have Eriksen's creativity, but with more mobility.
It obviously didn't work at all early season, then Mount has pretty much been injured since.

And makes it look like we've made the exact same Donny mistake a year on.

JediSith

I'd like to see that too, but that's not going to happen unless Bruno is shifted out to the right wing where he's almost completely ineffective. Close to useless, even.

So, typical United, our only way of "solving" one problem (where to play Mount) is by creating another (playing Bruno out of position).

And he's not gonna drop Bruno.
What you stated is the reality but also what I feel is the problem at United.

croadyman

Any return dates for him?

There seems to be a lot of mystery around our player injuries under ETH.
Saw that insider account tweet something along the lines of he could return for Luton game,ironic really as the home game was the last time he played.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It feels like we banked everything on Mount being some sort of answer to our need to have Eriksen's creativity, but with more mobility.
It obviously didn't work at all early season, then Mount has pretty much been injured since.

And makes it look like we've made the exact same Donny mistake a year on.
We all thought eth will replace Eriksen with Mount, but this isn't what has happened because MM (and McTominay, and Mainoo) have been deployed to perform very different role.

Eriksen is the only midfielder who plays as #8. Eth seems to recognise he can't run so needs to play deeper.

I think Mount is well equipped to do the #8 role and the it'll be interesting what the next manager goes with him and Bruno.

redcucumber

Really hope he can come back and contribute to our push for CL. Disastrous debut season.

ROFLUTION

When will he be back?

The clue lies in his name. May, son.
Yeah I know a thing or two about words

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
When not injured i'm struggling to see where he fits into our current
Whether it will work or not, jury is out but ETH did mention several times at the beginning of the season that he can play deeper (Referring to midfield), I think most like me assumed he would be Bruno cover or whether one would get odd minutes on the wing but I think that evidence suggests he wanted him as more a deeper b2b

Roane

I always wondered if Mason was the replacement for Bruno.

Now I know Bruno divides opinion. However a little of pundits and fans say how he is often detrimental to our play in terms of the high risk passes he makes and he isn't exactly one for keeping shape and position.

If "we" all see it surely so must ETH.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Replacing a creative freak no.10 who isn’t really good at the “typical no.10 stuff” for a no.10 who also isn’t really good at the ”typical no.10 stuff” whilst being nowhere near as creative is the giga brain tactic of dreams that we seem to have deployed over the last however many years, so I can go with that story.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why are people shitting on a player who has been unavailable for 98% of the season?

uwotm8

Whether it will work or not, jury is out but ETH did mention several times at the beginning of the season that he can play deeper (Referring to midfield), I think most like me assumed he would be Bruno cover or whether one would get odd minutes on the wing but I think that evidence suggests he wanted him as more a deeper b2b
ETH started the season with a fantasy double 10 and 6 pivot. Even with Mount unavailable it has proven to be a disaster. His only choices remain to try and play Mount deeper and hope he adapts or just rotate him around with Bruno/ use him as an impact sub. The latter would be more sensible and probably make a difference with a heavy fixture list. Erik is stubborn though and he might not be willing to do that; especially given the transfer fee.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I always thought he would rotate with Bruno, and that still might happen, but they probably don’t work well together. I think he’s a great player, can’t wait to see him fit and firing.
Agree. He and Bruno are the same profile. Not a traditional no. 10 but that player who works between the double pivot and CF/ST. If you get a proper DM to sit alongside Mainoo then I think you'll have a good midfield.

Telsim

Why are people shitting on a player who has been unavailable for 98% of the season?
I mean, this transfer is in contention for one of the worst as it stands right now, so hardly surprising. The few times he was available, while somewhat decent overall, didn't exactly leave a lasting impression either. To the point where people started forgetting we even had him. Maybe he could become more useful under a proper manager, and if he can actually to stay fit for more than 2 weeks, but I never see him being an integral part. And he is rather expensive for a squad player.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Any return dates for him?

There seems to be a lot of mystery around our player injuries under ETH.
I keep forgetting about him. Incredibly sad debut season for him. Must be concerning that this is now 2 consecutive seasons of being in injury hell.

redcucumber

Replacing a creative freak no.10 who isn’t really good at the “typical no.10 stuff” for a no.10 who also isn’t really good at the ”typical no.10 stuff” whilst being nowhere near as creative is the giga brain tactic of dreams that we seem to have employed over the last however many years, so I can go with that story.
:lol: stellar sentence and impossible to argue with.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
ETH started the season with a fantasy double 10 and 6 pivot. Even with Mount unavailable it has proven to be a disaster. His only choices remain to try and play Mount deeper and hope he adapts or just rotate him around with Bruno/ use him as an impact sub. The latter would be more sensible and probably make a difference with a heavy fixture list. Erik is stubborn though and he might not be willing to do that; especially given the transfer fee.
This.

When he was available, he offered nothing.

So that's probably why.
He offered similar to what Mainoo and McTominay (I think he was a bit unlucky with the chances that he had). Should we expect more from him? I'd say yes, but that's not the point because we will never play this way with both Mount and Bruno in #8 effectively so something has to give (like in the bolded part in comment I quoted above).

Agree. He and Bruno are the same profile. Not a traditional no. 10 but that player who works between the double pivot and CF/ST. If you get a proper DM to sit alongside Mainoo then I think you'll have a good midfield.
I don't think they are the same profile. They are both attacking mids but have different strengths really. IMO Mount would do well in Arsenal / City setup, while Bruno would struggle big time. And yet, Bruno is the central figure for that team as Ten Hag made him the captain, so that creates an issue for Mount (even if he fits what ETH wants to play more).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think they are the same profile. They are both attacking mids but have different strengths really. IMO Mount would do well in Arsenal / City setup, while Bruno would struggle big time. And yet, Bruno is the central figure for that team as Ten Hag made him the captain, so that creates an issue for Mount (even if he fits what ETH wants to play more).
By same profile I mean that their best position is in that pocket but neither are traditional 10s.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He offered similar to what Mainoo and McTominay (I think he was a bit unlucky with the chances that he had). Should we expect more from him? I'd say yes, but that's not the point because we will never play this way with both Mount and Bruno in #8 effectively so something has to give (like in the bolded part in comment I quoted above).
wtf :lol: :houllier:

Mainoo is a child prodigy and MuckyT at least scores a few goals.

Mount was virtually invisible when he played.

Similar to Mainoo? You're on a fecking WUM mate.