Mason Mount's Misfortune

Leethal

So we basically head into the Forest game now with the same team as last season, albeit with a keeper upgrade.

I get that the injuries are bad luck but surely a sign that we haven’t upgraded enough.
I'd rather that, than play this ghost of a footballer stealing a fortune.

Dazzmondo

So we basically head into the Forest game now with the same team as last season, albeit with a keeper upgrade.

I get that the injuries are bad luck but surely a sign that we haven’t upgraded enough.
No we could have played Fred last season. This season we're stuck with only Eriksen now.

lex talionis

We'll get the win over Forest but we really needed Mount to find his way before we head into a difficult run of fixtures.

InfiniteBoredom

Who would’ve thought a player who spent most of last season crocked with a big injury could be sidelined again?

Tbf, could be a blessing in disguise if we go back to Eriksen now. Would still have problem with physicality but at least we will have a semblance of a midfield.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hopefully this means we'll definitely open the wallets to buy a CM that we need now (Mount isn’t really a CM I know)

gaffs

Who would’ve thought a player who spent most of last season crocked with a big injury could be sidelined again?

Tbf, could be a blessing in disguise if we go back to Eriksen now. Would still have problem with physicality but at least we will have a semblance of a midfield.
Missed 12 Prem games.

But don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

Plastic Evra

Two seasons ago didn't he play like 70 games ? One of the most aligned player along Bruno.

FerociousCorgis

hopefully hannibal steps up and is ready to contribute a bit. We always talk about wanting to look for the up and coming signings and not waiting until the player costs 80 million or whatever. Heres a chance to give youth a chance like we used to.

GlasgowCeltic

Missed 12 Prem games.

this is quite funny, him being a poor signing because he’s not good enough has been rebuked with “he was brilliant the seasons before being injured all last season”, and now “he’s a poor signing because he’s injury prone” is being rebuked with “he was fit for most of last season”….when he was largely rubbish

Plastic Evra

this is quite funny, him being a poor signing because he’s not good enough has been rebuked with “he was brilliant the seasons before being injured all last season”, and now “he’s a poor signing because he’s injury prone” is being rebuked with “he was fit for most of last season”….when he was largely rubbish
I think it's two different issues.
Mount is not a particularly injury prone player, as far as I can judge ? Last year seems mostly an outlier, might just be bad luck he picks one now.

Xaviboy

hopefully hannibal steps up and is ready to contribute a bit. We always talk about wanting to look for the up and coming signings and not waiting until the player costs 80 million or whatever. Heres a chance to give youth a chance like we used to.
I don't think ETH believes in Hannibel. If you look back on pre season he never got much game time in pre season friendlies against Arsenal, Madrid and Dortmund. This is the games the main core of players returned. Didn't feature in Lens games again the 1st starting 11 did and in Dublin only came on for last 10-15 mins.
The timing of Mount injury and the links with Gravenberch add up.

I think we will try and get Gravenberch in to add as squad depth to do what Mount is doing for us at moment.

Don't think Ten Hag has much time for McTominey either.

It still leaves us relying on back up for Casemiro but maybe the idea is for Manoo being used for this role once he is back available.

CM

Ten Hag should use this as an opportunity to rectify the errors made with this signing. If we aggressively pursue another midfielder before the end of the window and correct the imbalance of the current midfield structure, that would be a huge win for us in the longer term. The noises about McTominay don't sound too promising though, he should be the one making way in order to fund the new signing.

Steve 007

Some people need to grow up. Two games in. How many of you took a while to settle in a new job. Stop judging and start supporting.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Ten Hag should use this as an opportunity to rectify the errors made with this signing. If we aggressively pursue another midfielder before the end of the window and correct the imbalance of the current midfield structure, that would be a huge win for us in the longer term. The noises about McTominay don't sound too promising though, he should be the one making way in order to fund the new signing.
What errors?

evil_geko

:houllier::houllier::houllier:

CM

What errors?
Placing all his faith in a signing which does very little to address the flaws of the midfield from last season. In build up, we still don't have a player who can show for the ball, help us retain the ball in high pressure moments or play through teams who sit deeper against us.

When we don't have the ball our players get isolated badly once opposition teams make it through the first line of pressure. It happened countless times against Wolves and Spurs, two teams who aren't actually very good. If we employ this same system against teams who are a lot better with the ball than them - the likes of Liverpool, Brighton, Arsenal and Man City - we'll get absolutely punished and it will likely be reflected in the scoreline. We were already on the wrong end of a few hidings last season.

The midfield structure Ten Hag has gone all in on is a huge part of why the entire team looks disjointed, and the Mount signing is central to that. I don't think it's particularly difficult to see. Wolves got 23 shots off against us (at Old Trafford!) and Spurs got 17. We're far too easy to play through.

I take it you're happy with us losing to Spurs and being played off the pitch at home to Wolves.

el3mel

Some people need to grow up. Two games in. How many of you took a while to settle in a new job. Stop judging and start supporting.
Why are people acting like we haven't seen the guy playing for Chelsea for few years now? He average, and he's not going to turn into Lampard by the sheer power of time and blind faith.

InfiniteBoredom

Missed 12 Prem games.

What narrative?

Chelsea fans themselves would tell you he struggled for form last season recovering from that injury. If you missed 3-4 months of the season and spent the rest trying to regain form, it’s pretty fair to say you were crocked, you don’t have to be Martial or Hargreaves crocked to fit the definition.

CtrlAltDeLigt

The in total anxiety for muppets here is just too high.
Sure the start is not too good, but that doesn’t warrant calling ten hag incompetent or Mount shite.
Ex CL winner and a manager who performed really well last season apparently don’t get more than 2 games according to these “hardcore” fans.

AndyMUFC

It doesn't help us depth wise but we can get back to Casemiro and Eriksen for now which will at least help us on the ball while we try and sign another midfielder, and hopefully try and ease Mount in when he's fit.

Jonesno.8

Unpopular opinion incoming. I think he's done OK to be fair to him, I think playing him.with Bruno is the mistake. For me it's an either or, sure Bruno will win most people's votes but I think he has the game to be a creator, he's not naturally disciplined so floats as does Bruno. Either or and bring in some Cas cover.

Leethal

Unpopular opinion incoming. I think he's done OK to be fair to him, I think playing him.with Bruno is the mistake. For me it's an either or, sure Bruno will win most people's votes but I think he has the game to be a creator, he's not naturally disciplined so floats as does Bruno. Either or and bring in some Cas cover.
Ok?

14 passes in 85 minutes and zero tackles from a central positioned midfielder is ok?

Is that an acceptable standard from our marquee #7 signing?

If that’s “ok”, we are well and truly doomed.

Now my turn:

Popular opinion. We didn’t need him, and he’s shite and has been for the good part of the past few years.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ok?

14 passes in 85 minutes and zero tackles from a central positioned midfielder is ok?

Is that an acceptable standard from our marquee #7 signing?

If that’s “ok”, we are well and truly doomed.

Now my turn:

Popular opinion. We didn’t need him, and he’s shite and has been for the good part of the past few years.
The sad thing is your opinion isn't that popular. If if were, we wouldn't have wasted £50m+ on him.

AndySmith1990

Of course he's injured. Don't know why we bother. Club has been cursed since Moyes stepped through the door

mu4c_20le

I see we're almost at the finding the right players to play alongside him phase.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I see we're almost at the finding the right players to play alongside him phase.
:lol: Even the quality of the players for who this terrible excuses were/are made is constantly going down: from Pogba to Sancho to Mount.

Son

I was scratching my head when we signed Mount. Everyone said what an amazing player he was which apparently I’d never noticed so took it at face value.

Happy to give the manager the benefit of the doubt but been brutally honest he also signed Antony…

That’s almost half our cash thrown out the window on average footballers each year.