Mason Mount's Misfortune

redsunited

Read your posts which I replied you will know the wum who contributed nothing. I replied don’t even worth replying as your question is nothing but a wum.
Seems you still didn’t come out of Casemiro is FDJ replacement as your head is still in the sand.
We would have ended up buying a DM in same window or next after getting FDJ as he is not going to be the most defensive player in midfield 3 in PL.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Seems you still didn’t come out of Casemiro is FDJ replacement as your head is still in the sand.
We would have ended up buying a DM in same window or next after getting FDJ as he is not going to be the most defensive player in midfield 3 in PL.
While you are actually under the impression that we would have afforded both, given we already massively overspent without him last season and risked harming our FFP materially.

Back to Mount vs FdJ though, the latter was the ball carrier from deep and liked to pick up the ball from the CBs and drive it up.

You are misguided if you're looking at where Mount is deployed and think "oh yeah, that's what we were planning with Frenkie".

redsunited

While you are actually under the impression that we would have afforded both, given we already massively overspent without him last season and risked harming our FFP materially.

Back to Mount vs FdJ though, the latter was the ball carrier from deep and liked to pick up the ball from the CBs and drive it up.

You are misguided if you're looking at where Mount is deployed and think "oh yeah, that's what we were planning with Frenkie".
No mate, I don’t think that.
I believe if we had brought FDJ we would have ended up playing Fred or McT next to him, found defensively run over and then bought a good defensive player(like Casemiro) to play next to FDJ in next window.

I am not thinking about FDJ as that ship has passed long back. I agree that mount is a 8.5 but the post is about better he be good. As I see that as a 8.5 defensively if he is not good enough, it makes the team vulnerable and leaves Casemiro to defend on his own.

Next to Casemiro(as a 8 or 8.5) an ideal player would be one who is having a good range of passing, dribbling and also defensively not too meek. Ideally Modric, FDJ, Enzo type of player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No mate, I don’t think that.
I believe if we had brought FDJ we would have ended up playing Fred or McT next to him, found defensively run over and then bought a good defensive player(like Casemiro) to play next to FDJ in next window.

I am not thinking about FDJ as that ship has passed long back. I agree that mount is a 8.5 but the post is about better he be good. As I see that as a 8.5 defensively if he is not good enough, it makes the team vulnerable and leaves Casemiro to defend on his own.

Next to Casemiro(as a 8 or 8.5) an ideal player would be one who is having a good range of passing, dribbling and also defensively not too meek. Ideally Modric, FDJ, Enzo type of player.
You are however insinuating that Mount was brought as a FdJ replacement and that's simply not the case. He actually fits the bill for what Ten Hag wants to adopt.

GueRed

Overrated. English Brexshit passion merchant. INEOS inspired signing.:mad:

Am I doing this right redcafe?

NLunited

A quick look at how Ajax played under Ten Hag will put to rest the FdJ/Mount debate.

Whether it would have worked? I don’t know for sure and we will never know. It sure worked at Ajax and the Dutch NT.

space

I was never a fan of Mount and am just as surprised by his signing as everyone else but we should have faith in ETH and give him more games to get settled in. Casemiro took a few games to get going and even Martinez. I'd wait until Jan/Feb.

Doracle

I was never a fan of Mount and am just as surprised by his signing as everyone else but we should have faith in ETH and give him more games to get settled in. Casemiro took a few games to get going and even Martinez. I'd wait until Jan/Feb.
That’s easier said that done though. If a signing looks like madness and initial performances show exactly the problems which were expected to occur, then a manager is going to immediately be under pressure in relation to that decision.

Everyone wants Mount to do well now we’ve signed him - particularly as we are now stuck with him on insane wages for 6 years. However, it’s on ETH to get this working relatively quickly.

Maticmaker

Seems to me Mount's problem has been inconsistency, its what cost him his place at Chelsea. However he should be right at home with the majority of our lot!

wolvored

Playing Devils advocate here, but we have had other players in the Fergie era that started badly. May, Vidic and Evra are three that come to mind. Same as Antony (Although hes still shit so far), some players need a lot of time to bed in. Drogba at Chelsea was shit his first season as well.
Lets give him a chance before we hang him out to dry eh?

Levi1

I for one think he's played very well. He's been let down by a total lack of midfield behind him though.

EtH must have inside information about an imminent change of rules to 12 a side. As soon as that is made public, the naysayers will see how shrewd it was to sign a second number 10

Leethal

Playing Devils advocate here, but we have had other players in the Fergie era that started badly. May, Vidic and Evra are three that come to mind. Same as Antony (Although hes still shit so far), some players need a lot of time to bed in. Drogba at Chelsea was shit his first season as well.
Lets give him a chance before we hang him out to dry eh?
Vidic and Evra came from different leagues and different levels of football. Therefore there is potential for a natural adjustment period as they acclimatise to their new surroundings

Mount did not.

Mount came from the Premier League and has played in it for some times now. He did not need an adjustment period. He's just been absolute shit, which is par for the course if you look at his last year, year and a half. What we are seeing now, with Mount, is his level of football. He's just shit, and an utter waste of money - especially considering we do not have the money to waste. I'd be happy if he never put a United shirt on ever again and we trusted in youth. This useless waste of space is never going to push us on to the next level - I'd rather gamble on a youth prodigy. Bench? Sure. He can run around pretty good. But that's a lot of money to throw at someone who isn't good enough for our first team, outside of running about, when it's our first team that needs quality.

nickm

Vidic and Evra came from different leagues and different levels of football. Therefore there is potential for a natural adjustment period as they acclimatise to their new surroundings

Mount did not.

Mount came from the Premier League and has played in it for some times now. He did not need an adjustment period. He's just been absolute shit, which is par for the course if you look at his last year, year and a half. What we are seeing now, with Mount, is his level of football. He's just shit, and an utter waste of money - especially considering we do not have the money to waste. I'd be happy if he never put a United shirt on ever again and we trusted in youth. This useless waste of space is never going to push us on to the next level - I'd rather gamble on a youth prodigy. Bench? Sure. He can run around pretty good. But that's a lot of money to throw at someone who isn't good enough for our first team, outside of running about, when it's our first team that needs quality.
Toxic, man.

Leethal

I for one think he's played very well. He's been let down by a total lack of midfield behind him though.

EtH must have inside information about an imminent change of rules to 12 a side. As soon as that is made public, the naysayers will see how shrewd it was to sign a second number 10
Is this sarcasm? I see no white text.

14 passes in 85 minutes, 0 tackles, 0 chances created, and the damning stats go on and on about how god awful he has been, and will continue to be. Someone posted just how bad he's been somewhere in this thread, (or the player performance thread), but I'm too lazy to find it.

It is utterly dreadful on my behalf, that when his injury was announced, I was thankful. I have NEVER felt this way about a player before. But I know, if he didn't get injured, ETH would have continued to play him and we could kiss our season goodbye.

Keep this waste of space away from the first team.

Giggsy13

Mount did not.

Get a grip. Im certain you’d bash any youth player who didn’t deliver in their first game.

evil_geko

Mount did not.

:houllier:

Leethal

Get a grip. Im certain you’d bash any youth player who didn’t deliver in their first game.
Absolutely not. I have all the time in the world for our youth players, and always have. Same as I will have for Hojlund.

Mount wasn't purchased as a youth player. He started our first two games, and by all accounts, was absolutely dreadful and quite possibly the worst I've ever seen from a signing we've made. He contributed absolutely nothing at all. Nothing. For a first team player, his stats from a central position were embarrassingly woeful. Antony, Fred, etc. get absolutely crucified week in, week out, for putting in performances better than anything this shower of shite has dished up so far.

Mount shouldn't be seen anywhere near our first team, let alone our club.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is this sarcasm? I see no white text.

14 passes in 85 minutes, 0 tackles, 0 chances created, and the damning stats go on and on about how god awful he has been, and will continue to be. Someone posted just how bad he's been somewhere in this thread, (or the player performance thread), but I'm too lazy to find it.

It is utterly dreadful on my behalf, that when his injury was announced, I was thankful. I have NEVER felt this way about a player before. But I know, if he didn't get injured, ETH would have continued to play him and we could kiss our season goodbye.

Keep this waste of space away from the first team.
How are you still the Mount threads? :lol:
Genuinely surprised you didn't blame him for the goals conceded against Forest as well.

Hughie77

Until ETH gets another CM and plays Mount as an attacking CM not a defensive one. Imo he's a squad player at best to come on for Bruno, and not both played together but I suppose ETH and Utd know what there doing?

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson

Mount did not.

It's been 2 games man

Godfather

Yeah let's take it out on him!
Not his fault at all. But from all the positions we badly needed reinforcements in another number 10 is not one of them. I could accept that if his signing wouldn't hinder us getting a top class CM, CB and another striker in. But it is. I just don't understand our football club.

lex talionis

We must assume United management still believe they knew what they were doing when they signed Mount.

JeffFromHK

It's been 2 games man
People don't rule out Mount as a No. 8 based on 2 games. It is based on Mount's performances in Chelsea for the whole 22-23 season, England, and Mount's own skillset.

Let's be honest Man Utd fans - when we played against Chelsea, have we ever been "scared" of Mount as our opponents? I have never heard of fans scaring of him

If we need to give 50 games' failure to determine that a player is not good enough for us, we will end up in the championship.

OverratedOpinion

Let's be honest Man Utd fans - when we played against Chelsea, have we ever been "scared" of Mount as our opponents? I have never heard of that.
I don't really look at teams that way before we play them. If you do though then not worrying about Mount whilst at Chelsea would be silly as he's been one of their biggest goal threats, creative threats and best players nearly constantly since they brought him through.

RedOrange

Let's be honest Man Utd fans - when we played against Chelsea, have we ever been "scared" of Mount as our opponents? I have never heard of fans scaring of him

If we need to give 50 games' failure to determine that a player is not good enough for us, we will end up in the championship.
What would you be willing to bet that United will be relegated if Mount plays 50 matches for us?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People don't rule out Mount as a No. 8 based on 2 games. It is based on Mount's performances in Chelsea for the whole 22-23 season, England, and Mount's own skillset.

I never felt “scared” of any opposition midfielders aside from that great Barcelona trip (plus Messi).

Leethal

It's been 2 games man
For us.

He’s been shit for Chelsea and the national team for something like 18 months or so.

Absolutely baffled how we could justify spending £55m on a player that has been churning out awful performances for an extended period, who is in the final year of his contract, historically plays in a position we don’t need coverage in, and looks to potentially stifle any further expenditure this season.