Mason Mount's Misfortune

El-Manos

The balance in the force. Question is where does that leave mount ? Rotation with Bruno? Antony ? 60m for a rotation option is probably a bit mental though.

You can't draw that conclusion yet.

If ETH's system is based on the defence pushing up so the team plays in the opponent's half, with the attackers pressing to win possession, and all key players having precise roles and positions in that pattern of play, so we actually have in effect a ton of players in the midfield and attacking roles, and he's signed new players to help make all that work and non of that is happening properly yet because players are still learning it all at the start of the season, then how on earth can you draw any conclusions about how good or bad those new players are?

What of course you can do - and so many "fans" are doing, is have a personal idea of how ETH should play, advocate for players who make that all look great in your mind's eye, and then castigate those players and ETH or the magic "Director of Football" for not signing them.
Mount is not a new player to the league. We know what he is. He was brought in to replace Eriksen, a player who provides excellent progression but whose legs have almost gone. ETH was hoping to have a player who provides the progression but had the workrate to help Casemiro in defensive transitions. Mount has the ability to progress play but he has ghosted around the pitch for years for Chelsea and England, he is never going to be positionally or defensively adept enough to do what we need when the game turns against us.

crossy1686

career ending
Funny this is what you said about Dan James after his 2nd shit season in a row:

"He can do a job I guess and we need players that can do a job every now and again. Not every player needs to be a game winner."

2 games in and so many of you are already getting your scapegoats in for the season.
"2 games in..." this is the most short sighted notion being repeated in this thread.

It's 4 seasons in not 2 games, and Dan James at least grabbed the occasional goal and cost £15m. He also didn't get in the way of our good players doing their jobs either.

Teja

I'm convinced he signed Mount as back up, which doesn't make sense when you look at the cost and wages, but he will 100% buy a player that plays his position next summer.
He sold him the project, gave him the #7. Let's see.

croadyman

I'm convinced he signed Mount as back up, which doesn't make sense when you look at the cost and wages, but he will 100% buy a player that plays his position next summer.
Yeah should have sold McTominay & Maguire to West Ham for £60m and put Mount money towards Kane/Osimhen instead

nickm

You are right you don't make sense
He did not sign a player for 55m and give him the shirt cantona wore, to be a back up.

black country red

Just a little sideline to this thread it’s great to see caicedo ripping the premier league apart makes you wonder why we brought mount

CG1010

I was quite happy with Mount's signing as I thought he will give us a good quality first XI player of which we lacked a lot. But the mention of Mount in every thread as a massive flop and almost a meme at this point has stripped away all excitement!

croadyman

I was quite happy with Mount's signing as I thought he will give us a good quality first XI player of which we lacked a lot. But the mention of Mount in every thread as a massive flop and almost a meme at this point has stripped away all excitement!
Yeah only because we could have utilised that money so much better,surely you can see that

crossy1686

career ending
He has the ability to change that with his performances, but will it happen? A couple of big performances is all it takes.

Mepp

He did not sign a player for 55m and give him the shirt cantona wore, to be a back up.
Overpaying for a fairly young Englishman. Sounds like a board signing, see: Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Sancho

CG1010

Yeah only because we could have utilised that money so much better,surely you can see that
I don't know, it depends. The overwhelming consensus here is that a DM like Ambarat is more important. But that has to be judged basis manager's tactical plan. And those who say this don't believe in manager's tactical plan either. In what the manager is trying to do, an advanced #8 who is good at ball retention, bringing others into play, and pressing is crucial.

Leethal

Which is what a good section of the fanbase is afraid of.

He's not good enough, has never been good enough, and yet, will end up playing far more than his skillset warrants and justifies. I mean, for Christ sake, people don't even know what role/position he fills. He's never really had a defined one. He just runs around, and that's good enough for some.

It's strange seeing the shift in our fanbase. Nowadays, people are far more accepting of mediocrity, with the "He might become good" narrative, despite, the last 18 months him showing nothing that would suggest that's the case. He's not new to the league. He shouldn't need to get up to speed.
"

Pav1878

When is he back? Read it was September 23rd. Is he on track for this coming weekend?

Cemalex

Supports
Fenerbahce
He should play as a right playmaker winger role in that team. Casemiro Eriksen and Bruno is the correct trio. Mount Rashford and Hojlund should be forward trio.

He is decent player and we should find him correct role.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Getting less play time than his mate Havertz

Rightnr

You would have thought Chelsea's best player and CL winner Mason Mount would play? Turns out he is a nothing player and those things mean absolutely nothing at United.
:lol:

Does this mean EtH is a hater?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I can't buy that ETH has gone off him. Antony has turned in way more bad performances and still gets starts

Yagami

Good post resistant
Mental that we signed another lightweight 10 whilst City sign Kovacic and Nunes who would've been our best midfielder but hardly plays there. Until we start prioritising players of that ilk like them, we're never going to catch them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Surely he's got a knock. The alternative (that he's already a bench warmer) would be ridiculous but just sum up our recruitment.

el3mel

He realized his mistake and that Mount has no place in our main lineup. It's a good thing he gave up on him early rather than fecking us up any longer.

Delano

I'm a baffled by this now as I was in the summer. We needed the next Eriksen, not the next Lingard.

Rightnr

Jokes aside would think this is genuine reason. Case/Mount/Bruno is coming back.
The guy who never changes his team if they're winning is keeping him back for the biggest game in Manchester. Right

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He realized his mistake and that Mount has no place in our main lineup. It's a good thing he gave up on him early rather than fecking us up any longer.
Yeah, great he is not replacing Bruno or Antony who are doing so well

Adamsk7

Personally I’d play him on the right. He’s a good passer and technically very good, and has had success on the wings before. Critically he’s also miles better than Antony

el3mel

Yeah, great he is not replacing Bruno or Antony who are doing so well
Mount can't play on the wing, that's just a fantasy.

And Bruno is actually more useful. Even while being shit, his stats hold up. Mount is pointless.

Bobski

Donny, Sabitizer, Mount. We keep bringing in the same sort of player, and you could add Lingard before them, not really a midfielder, not really a 10, not really quick enough for the wing.