Gaming Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Couldn't find a thread on it but apparently details have been leaked through a marketing survey....

The next Mass Effect game takes place in the Helius Cluster (a cluster of 100s of solar systems in the Andromeda Galaxy), far removed by time and space from Commander Shepard's heroic acts and the final events of the Mass Effect trilogy. You are a pathfinder, a combat trained but un-tested explorer leading an expedition into the Helius cluster to establish a new home for humanity. As you explore this sprawling series of solar systems (over 4x the size of Mass Effect 3), collecting resources and building colonies, you will encounter the savagery of untamed lands in the form of cut-throat outlaws and warring alien races. To survive and colonise the wild reaches of space, you will need to grow your arsenal, your ship, your crew and make strategic (and often uneasy) alliances to fight against increasingly menacing foes. Along the way, you will encounter the remains of a once powerful and mysterious alien race, the Remnant, whose forgotten technology holds the key to gaining power in this region of the galaxy. As you uncover who the Remnant were, and the mysteries their ruins contain, you are drawn into a violent race to find the source of their forgotten technology that will determine the fate of humanity.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-20-probing-the-new-mass-effect-4-leak

Loads of details in that link including info on the protagonist, setting, multiplayer and some details on squadmates.

Kostur

海尔的老板
They can shove it up their fecking asses after making such a mess out of ME 3 and to a certain degreree even ME 2.

ME 1 was brilliant.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Sounds like it might have some RTS elements. Could be quite interesting!

Smores

Sweet, can't wait. Loved this series.

Never understood the hatred for 2 and 3, they fecked up a few small elements but they're still great games overall.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Sweet, can't wait. Loved this series.

Never understood the hatred for 2 and 3, they fecked up a few small elements but they're still great games overall.
It depends a lot on the games you like. 2 mainly got a lot of criticism by people who loved the first, because they removed or dumbed down a ton of RPG elements. Also had some issues with the story line. You'll find quite a few people who prefer 2 over 1 though, because the shooting mechanics in 2 are far better. The criticism for 3 is quite obvious - the ending is utterly terrible without DLCs.

Cina

Probably the best gaming trilogy ever and one of the best gaming stories ever. Yes, the ending of the third ruined things a little at the thing but I still thought it was excellent (especially with all the DLC thrown in), so I can't wait for this.

I'm glad it appears to be far removed from the Shepard saga, too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I've said this a bunch of times - anyone who hates the series based on the ending to the third game, should have hated it from the second game onwards - as that story had a whole heap of nonsense in it, and an equally as dumb ending.

Me though, I treat the first one as a brilliant, self-contained RPG and story (the Reapers reveal in that game is tremendous) - and 2nd and 3rd are two games with superb mechanics.

Cina

I've said this a bunch of times - anyone who hates the series based on the ending to the third game, should have hated it from the second game onwards - as that story had a whole heap of nonsense in it, and an equally as dumb ending.

Me though, I treat the first one as a brilliant, self-contained RPG and story (the Reapers reveal in that game is tremendous) - and 2nd and 3rd are two games with superb mechanics.
I fecking loved the story in the second game. Well, ok, I mean, bit of a lack of story in terms of plot progression, but it was all about the characters for me, and we got some absolutely fantastic ones in that game, which then made the suicide mission all the more important.

I also think the third game closed out a lot of stuff really, really well. Especially the Genophage and the Quarians and Geth storylines, it's mainly the ending that was a let down, and the new characters in the third game were pretty weak compared to the first two.

Basically I enjoyed every game, but each had their own faults that prevented them from being perfect, however as a trilogy it's fantastic.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I fecking loved the story in the second game. Well, ok, I mean, bit of a lack of story in terms of plot progression, but it was all about the characters for me, and we got some absolutely fantastic ones in that game, which then made the suicide mission all the more important.

I also think the third game closed out a lot of stuff really, really well. Especially the Genophage and the Quarians and Geth storylines, it's mainly the ending that was a let down, and the new characters in the third game were pretty weak compared to the first two.

Basically I enjoyed every game, but each had their own faults that prevented them from being perfect, however as a trilogy it's fantastic.
That's sort of what I mean - all the character stuff in 2 and 3 is great - very few games, if any, can match up to Mass Effect in having secondary characters you care about. (I'd do anything for Wrex I tell you, the loveable bastard)... but then, people go off about the ending of the third as if it ruined the entire game/series (it didn't) which I find to be ridiculous as a) the previous character moments still exist and b) the overall plot started to take a turn at the beginning of two - and the ending of 2 was also pretty daft, yet nobody lost their shit then.

Last edited:

Melvyn

prostate examiner
The hate for 3 was mainly because of the ending but honestly, it was the one I enjoyed the most gameplay-wise. Seriously, everyone went overboard with hating the ending.

The one thing that makes me hate replaying 2 is the stupid element farming.

that's what I said Melvyn.
:nono:

Cina

That's sort of what I mean - all the character stuff in 2 and 3 is great - very few games, if any, can match up to Mass Effect in having secondary characters you care a bit. (I'd do anything for Rex I tell you, the loveable bastard)... but then, people go off about the ending of the third as if it ruined the entire game/series (it didn't) which I find to be ridiculous as a) the previous character moments still exist and b) the overall plot started to take a turn at the beginning of two - and the ending of 2 was also pretty daft, yet nobody lost their shit then.
It's Wrex you casual gamer, ffs.

@Melvyn some people eh?

Melvyn

prostate examiner
That's sort of what I mean - all the character stuff in 2 and 3 is great - very few games, if any, can match up to Mass Effect in having secondary characters you care a bit. (I'd do anything for Rex I tell you, the loveable bastard)... but then, people go off about the ending of the third as if it ruined the entire game/series (it didn't) which I find to be ridiculous as a) the previous character moments still exist and b) the overall plot started to take a turn at the beginning of two - and the ending of 2 was also pretty daft, yet nobody lost their shit then.
@Revan @Count Orduck

Code-CX

Shit ending aside, I really enjoyed mass effect 3 (the tuchanka level was really well done and was one of the most memorable moments of the series for me). I absolutely love this series so I can't wait for the next game.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I was delighted with the ending of part 3.

The way some of the fans lost their shit really entertained me

Bojan11

Will we see any of it in E3, the question is.
Of course. It's been three years since the last one. So I suspect they will start showing stuff now.

I expect this to be released late next year or early 2017, which is way too long away.

The EA E3 conference should be interesting with this and Mirrors edge.

Revan

Assumptionman
Of course. It's been three years since the last one. So I suspect they will start showing stuff now.

I expect this to be released late next year or early 2017, which is way too long away.

The EA E3 conference should be interesting with this and Mirrors edge.
Nah. It would be next year IMO. Inquisition was released last year, ME4 won't need more than 2 years (especially that now they have tested their new engine).

Bojan11

Nah. It would be next year IMO. Inquisition was released last year, ME4 won't need more than 2 years (especially that now they have tested their new engine).
Bioware Edmonton made Dragon Age with help from Austin and Montreal. Montreal make Mass Effect.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bioware Edmonton made Dragon Age with help from Austin and Montreal. Montreal make Mass Effect.
I think that a lot of delay for Inquisition was because it was the first game on this engine. Obviously Mass Effect will be done from an another section of the company, but they cooperate with each other. Also, I guess that they are already quite deep in their work. As you said, it has been 3 years since ME3 (and 2 years or so since the last DLC).

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Think they'll push this as much as possible, so they can market it before too many forget about the previous Mass Effect games. Also Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't seem to have the longevity they were probably hoping for (doubt the dlcs will sell that well), so they need something on the market.

Coxy

I reckon ME4 will be released next year - with a ME trilogy remaster released end of this year :drool:

Minkaro

I'll check this out for sure. Whilst I agree that the ending of the trilogy wasn't fantastic, I think the work they did in building the universe, and the characters inside it was enough that I was able to overlook that. It's not often in games that I genuinely care about the characters, outside of wanting them to survive so I can beat the game. These were games where I really put thought into the decisions that I was making, because I really wanted to help the characters.

The fact that they're setting it far away from the original trilogy is interesting. It allows them to explore more of that universe, but does remove some of the safety net of having familiarity with some characters or locations. Then again, it's been a while since I played ME3, so there could have been a situation where there were no characters left who would have survived in everybody's games.

Slightly gutted I'm not getting my prequel to the original trilogy. Thane Krios: Space Assassin.

Dumbat12

Shut your mouth all, Mass Effect 2 was the best of the trilogy and probably one of the best games ever... Improved gameplay, characters, music, more fun missions, things to do and a lot more choices than either ME3 or ME1. The general story of ME1 is better, but the characters and the journey to the final point of ME2 is way better.

And let's not forget that ME2 probably had the best final mission in any game where the choices you made actually did matter - the Suicide mission.

God, how I wish to replay ME2, but that will mean I have to play ME1... and 3 which I don't have any particular interest to play. And I have played all of them a lot except 3.

Bojan11

I found the RPG elements to be the best in one, but going back to it the gameplay isn't as good as 2

Mass Effect 3 didn't really master anything. It was a decent game, but I guess with a two year cycle they couldn't add a lot.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
2 is clearly dumbed and turned into a mediocre shooter, at best, to chase sales. 3 followed on.

That doesn't mean they are terrible though, and of course some will like that (the kind of gamer simple and shiney stuff is aimed at ;) ), it's still a great series of games. I agree with @Randall Flagg on laughing at those outraged at the ending to three, though quite how they fecked it up is anyone's guess.

Best gaming series ever though? Really? ;)

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It was shocking that Bioware bent over and gave them a DLC just to make them feel better

I never even bothered checking what the new ending was like

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It was shocking that Bioware bent over and gave them a DLC just to make them feel better

To be fair they did build up this epic (in their own words) story and made it a big thing, then ruined it at the end.

But you know what people (geeks) are like when it comes to even the slightest emotional investment :lol:

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde

The ending doesn't really change, extended cut just makes it easier to achieve the "best" ending (highest points needed) by lowering the requirements so you no longer have to play online to get it. Add DLCs on top of that and it's very easy to get enough points. Extended cut also adds a few extra cut-scenes, but nothing major. Leviathan is IMO a more important DLC, because it adds a some insight into Reavers.

And yeah, @Redlambs. Like I've said before, ME1 is a RPG with FPS elements, whereas 2 and 3 are more of a FPS with RPG elements. I love all three games though, but 1 will always be my favourite. I'm assuming 4 will follow the FPS trend though, because it's obviously very popular.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It's all about the journey not the destination. I still think some of the reactions were stupidly lame. Sure, be disappointed but the outrage was ridiculous.

Can't wait to see more of this at E3.