Mass Shooting in Alabama - 31 Aug 2019 - 10 Teens injured

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Another incident also occurred yesterday but not even raising an eyebrow. Shooter goes on the rampage at high school football game. No fatalities as of yet.

AaronRedDevil

It's a shame they care more about the guns then they do about children. Hopefully they'll get some commen sense someday. These things should never happen in schools. Kids get bullied and sometimes there's really only 2 ways to stop it. Especially in America.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The difference to Japan is amazing. There was a guy that did a road rage here and pulled up and punched a guy and it was on the news for nearly a week. This is barely covered.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Cait Sith

The difference to Japan is amazing. There was a guy that did a road rage here and pulled up and punched a guy and it was on the news for nearly a week. This is barely covered.
It's called civilized country.

In Germany a few months ago a white supremacist shot a politician in the head. Gun laws will be made even more strict now than they already are. Right now, basically you are only allowed to have a gas pistol via "small gun license", private persons aren't allowed to obtain a proper gun license, only security firms for example are. But on top of that there is a "gun ownership license" (for example for hunters or collectors) which allows you to buy or own a gun (gun license only allows you to handle a gun, not own or buy one). In essence: Guns are forbidden already other than certain hunting rifles which have to be carried in a special way and unloaded.

New law will allow Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution to be involved before anyone is allowed to have anything to do with guns (which basically no one is allowed to carry anyway as it is).

Murder of 1 politician has been a huge topic in Germany for months.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Meanwhile in singapore the headline is a guy who gets into transit area with a wrong boarding pass to send his wife off.
Our headline tonight was someone whipped someone else with a belt after a fight broke out on a bus. Yep, that was it.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
It's become so commonplace.

Here's texts I got from my kids on Thursday.

Nothing happened but that's not a text that you ever want to get.

I saw Bitchy Blaggs text first and my heart stopped for a second.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Come to Australia mate, we will look after you. The worst thing that could happen (bar all the deadly animals and critters) is getting whipped by a belt whilst on the bus.

It's just sickening that people have to receive those kinds of messages.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's one of the top 3 stories on CNN
Hk protests
Hurricane Dorian
Texas shooting
Now 5 dead 21 injured
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/09/01/us/texas-new-gun-laws-trnd/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/

2nd story on fox after Dorian do it's certainly getting some coverage
Different shooting. This thread is about one in Alabama, not Texas.
Kin ell... America... What a fecked up place
That was geat situational comedy. Bit dark, but great.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
You know we ve reached the NRAs dream when mass shooting just become another item on the news. I never believed in private schooling for my kids and don't want to send them to private schools bc that's exactly what that bitch of a Betsy De Vos would want but I don't want to have to worry about my kids getting shot at in public school. How fecked up is it when you have to worry about that in the supposedly greatest country on earth.

arnie_ni

Not to turn this against gun control because obviously its the main issue.

But wtf is going on with kids these days?

I dont want to sound like trump but there is a real mental health problem against young men worldwide.

Fairly certain suicide is the biggest killer of young males in the uk as well.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I dont want to sound like trump but there is a real mental health problem against young men worldwide.

If guns were as widespread and easy to get here as they are in the US IMO our suicide rate would be much, much higher than it is. The reason most people who have suicidal thoughts don't act on them is a fear of suffering or not carrying it out correctly, a gun minimises greatly those two reasons.

Moby

Dick

Absolutely terrible to read those and can't imagine what families would be going through getting news like those with the frequency it is happening right now.

The worst part is that it feels this is only beginning to spread on a widescale level and might even get worse than this. No shortage of complete lunatics who will take this is inspiration knowing hardly anything will be done about this.

It's a national security threat at this stage, and should be at the highest priority to cut it down completely.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Absolutely terrible to read those and can't imagine what families would be going through getting news like those with the frequency it is happening right now.

The worst part is that it feels this is only beginning to spread on a widescale level and might even get worse than this. No shortage of complete lunatics who will take this is inspiration knowing hardly anything will be done about this.

It's a national security threat at this stage, and should be at the highest priority to cut it down completely.
What do you do though? These kind of attacks are usually talked about in the dark corners of the internet, on forums or chats where other teens probably openly encourage them to do it. You cant police the internet anywhere close to what it needs unfortunately.

Moby

Dick
What do you do though? These kind of attacks are usually talked about in the dark corners of the internet, on forums or chats where other teens probably openly encourage them to do it. You cant police the internet anywhere close to what it needs unfortunately.
Goes back to weapons being so easily accessible really. In a country like US there should be enough intelligence and surveillance to ensure weapons and any other explosives etc arent being stored or transported freely. There will still be crime but random people who are influenced by these internet groups etc won't be able to just go up and pick up a weapon and use it. That is the primary reason for this uproar of such incidents.

Cait Sith

Problem with "mental health problem" is that I've seen completely healthy people go to the psychiatrist and make themselves look mentally ill to gain something out of it (early retirement for example). Then I've seen people who are batshit crazy mentally ill and no one knows about it because they behave completely normal in public, they believe they are normal and absolutely no one will suspect it but they are truly paranoid (suspecting son in law to want to sell her daughter abroad because the couple simply goes on holidays, thinking intelligence services are listening her phone, not willing to hand out passport copy to citizen center because they will copy and steal her identity for someone else etc.).

There are very few who are so mentally ill that they can't hide it, people screaming in the streets and constantly talking to themselves is a cliché. The majority you would absolutely never even suspect it.

So turning this into mental health problem basically means doing and changing absolutely nothing. By definition, anyone who goes on a killing spree is mentally ill in hindsight. Can anyone kill people at random without being mentally ill?

And even if you somehow could easily detect mentally ill people they would still get hold of a gun in a society where more guns than people exist. Just ask your friend, steal it, whatever. Like 12 year olds getting hold of fireworks for New Year.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Goes back to weapons being so easily accessible really. In a country like US there should be enough intelligence and surveillance to ensure weapons and any other explosives etc arent being stored or transported freely. There will still be crime but random people who are influenced by these internet groups etc won't be able to just go up and pick up a weapon and use it. That is the primary reason for this uproar of such incidents.
You can do all kinds of things to reduce the availability of weapond and explosives yet people can still make napalm from gasoline and frozen orange juice. It's Band-Aid stuff. Until we can figure out how not to alienate people and deprive them of the things that all humans need (love, kindness acceptance, affirmation etc) we're going to experience these violent outbursts.

Moby

Dick
You can do all kinds of things to reduce the availability of weapond and explosives yet people can still make napalm from gasoline and frozen orange juice. It's Band-Aid stuff. Until we can figure out how not to alienate people and deprive them of the things that all humans need (love, kindness acceptance, affirmation etc) we're going to experience these violent outbursts.
It's not one or the other and we obviously need to improve social circumstances for people who tend to get influenced and are in a vulnerable mindset, but at the same time tightening access to weapons will only improve the situation, and in my opinion on a considerable level. There's no denying the fact that having over the counter weapons is the biggest factor in allowing literally anyone to turn into a mass killer overnight. Like I said crime will not end with it but it will be a lot harder for anyone to actually act on his emotions/whatever on a whim.

At the end of the day it is the same situation as with global terrorists, except in this case the culprits are inside the US where they can be governed into not being able to implement any harm onto others.