Mass stabbing in Australian Shopping Centre - UPDATE3: 7 Dead, multiple in hospital including a 9 month old baby (Mother has died)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Pretty cool. Similar situation in Ireland where a Brazilian immigrant took on a guy who was stabbing women and kids. Which was a set back for the rising anti-immigrant sentiment in the country.
A lot of very brave people that day :(

The security guard who died did so trying to stop the killer getting up an escalator towards more people. He was a recent refugee from Pakistan on his first day on the job :(

WPMUFC

Dr. StrangeHate

A lot of very brave people that day :(

The security guard who died did so trying to stop the killer getting up an escalator towards more people. He was a recent refugee from Pakistan on his first day on the job :(
I am guessing it is not standard for security guards to have guns or any sort of weapons.

WPMUFC

I am guessing it is not standard for security guards to have guns or any sort of weapons.
Shopping centre guards in Australia are mainly seen as stopping school kids from stealing junk food or calling the cops on a family brawl. The unfortunate fact is that they are tasked with increasingly violent crime but no way to deal with it. But you'll never see a shopping centre guard with a gun in Australia. It would be viewed as some dystopian, US-inspired nightmare. We just don't have the knife or gun crime to warrant that level of response.

Dr. StrangeHate

Shopping centre guards in Australia are mainly seen as stopping school kids from stealing junk food or calling the cops on a family brawl. The unfortunate fact is that they are tasked with increasingly violent crime but no way to deal with it. But you'll never see a shopping centre guard with a gun in Australia. It would be viewed as some dystopian, US-inspired nightmare. We just don't have the knife or gun crime to warrant that level of response.
In UK I have never seen it either. I have seen special police officers with guns in Manchester, Birmingham and London malls/train stations but never a security guard.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
That is the most likely motivation for the attack but the bishop who was stabbed first is apparently also vocally anti LGBTQI+ and also a conspiracy theorist e g. Anti-vaccines, lock downs and bekieves government players stole the US election for Biden.

The police are calling it a terrorist attack now. Various religious leaders are calling for calm and the Police will be arresting lots of people for the riot that put cops in hospital and damaged 20 police vehicles (up to 500 took part). What a shit show.
Not surprising - do we know what the motive is clearly now? Although it could be due to LGBT/conspiracy theories, the timing of it makes me think it's because he's a vocal supporter of Palestine.

There's been a few anti-Palestinian/anti-Arab killings and attacks in the fall out of the Palestine issue recently (all in the US however), and none on any clergymen.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not surprising - do we know what the motive is clearly now? Although it could be due to LGBT/conspiracy theories, the timing of it makes me think it's because he's a vocal supporter of Palestine.

There's been a few anti-Palestinian/anti-Arab killings and attacks in the fall out of the Palestine issue recently (all in the US however), and none on any clergymen.
Confirmed that the attacker was upset that the Bishop had criticised Islam and The Prophet.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Confirmed that the attacker was upset that the Bishop had criticised Islam and The Prophet.
I just read up on it - the attacker is only 16 years old as well. Crazy times.