Mass stabbing in Australian Shopping Centre - UPDATE3: 7 Dead, multiple in hospital including a 9 month old baby (Mother has died)

WPMUFC

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Jesus, not a headline you expect from Australia, hope they catch the feckers.

Hopefully the victims survive too.

Edit: just saw the word “killed” in the second tweet :(

WPMUFC

There is a lot of gruesome videos and images now coming out on twitter. There is going to be a lot of injuries. Absolutely sickening to target a mother holding a child.

Two men have just spoken to Nine News about helping a baby and its mother who were both bleeding.

The pair, who indicated they were brothers, said they saw a man “run up to the woman with the baby”.

“We got them into the store ... rang for help,” one of the men said.

The men said the baby’s mother had been stabbed, and they were trying to compress the baby’s wounds, including using shirts from the shop.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...sydney-s-eastern-suburbs-20240413-p5fjku.html

WPMUFC

Jesus, not a headline you expect from Australia, hope they catch the feckers.

Hopefully the victims survive too.
The offender is dead. I think there is some discussion of a second suspect, but right now seems to be rumour more than actual man hunt.

Oldyella

Wtf goes through peoples minds, prompting this kind of thing? A toddler ffs.

Hope it's not as bad as those initial tweets make it sound.

WPMUFC

A video of the suspect being confronted on an escalator by heroic bystanders and being shot / stood over by the officer is now coming out. Seems like he was wearing an rugby league shirt and had a long kitchen knife.

Our national news broadcaster is now suggesting there IS a second offender on the loose.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don’t even know what to say anymore with shit like this. The fact he was given a quick death is a travesty. Warped little cnut.

WPMUFC

What we know so far
It’s been a fast moving incident, so if you’re just joining us, here’s a run down of what we know so far:

• At least four people are believed dead as a result of a “major incident” at Bondi Junction Westfield, a six-level shopping centre in Sydney’s east.
  • Multiple stabbings have been reported, with ambulances responding to “reports of a male running around Westfield with a knife”. A mother and her baby has been reported as being among those treated for stab wounds.
  • Police said a male was shot at the scene of the attack. It is not known if the death toll of four includes the attacker. Jason, a shopper evacuated from the centre, told 9 News he saw the alleged attacker with a “big blade”. Jason said he later witnessed police shoot the attacker before administering first aid.
  • A motive for the attack has not yet been established.
  • The centre is still in lockdown, with shoppers who had been hiding in stores continuing to exit stores as heavily armed tactical response teams move through the centre.
  • Authorities are telling people to avoid the area, as the streets remain filled with ambulances and police vehicles.
  • Brendan Blomeley was with his two children inside the Westfield when he heard two shots. “It was frightening, it was harrowing … We were cowering in a store with hundreds of other people”.
  • Footage from TV helicopters showed teams of heavily armed police making their way across the rooftop of one of the buildings in Bondi.
  • Guardian Australia’s Nikki Marshall was inside David Jones department story on level four of the shopping centre when she said she became aware of the incident at about 3:35pm. “Suddenly a woman said there’s a stabbing, we’ve got to go.”
  • Police are expected to provide an update at 5:45PM local time.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ter-reports-of-multiple-stabbings#top-of-blog

WPMUFC

The thinking of people that do this is truly incomprehensible. There's a video going around of a father trying to shield his daughters and wife, the bloke is completely disinterested in them and just runs in past him.
But a mother and baby are a good target?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
5 or 6 dead. Presumably the attacker is one of them. 8 transported to hospital in various conditions including a 9 month old baby which was stabbed multiple times. The mother was in a bad day so not sure of her condition - sounds like she probably died. Some may yet die :(

Senior female cop was nearby and went in alone. Shot the offender when he waved the knife at her. The gave him cpr.

One bloke is seen keeping the attacker at bay on an escalator for quite a while - must have save lives.

Thank feck guns are hard to get here or this could have been another Port Arthur.

Not sure if this is an everyday nutter, a religious nutter or a nutter motivated by the current middle-east situation. Hopefully just an everyday nutter.

Last edited:

Tarrou

oh shit I used to go there all the time

so gutted this is happening in Australia

WPMUFC

It's looking like he didn't go in there screaming a whole bunch of stuff

Motive unclear, police not ruling out terrorism
Police say no clear motive has emerged in relation to the attacker who has killed five people and injured several others including a baby.

Assistant commissioner Anthony Cooke said the man had been in the centre, left, then came back, at which point he began stabbing people in the centre.

No ideology or motive is clear.

There’s nothing that we are aware of at the scene that would indicate any motive or any ideology.
Asked by a reporter if police were ruling out terrorism, Cooke said:

We’re not ruling anything out.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ter-reports-of-multiple-stabbings#top-of-blog

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Horrific. RIP to the victims.

WPMUFC

Possibility this was planned.

Witnesses have reported seeing the attacker before he began stabbing.

At a press conference, police said they believe the attacker had been in the shopping centre, exited, and returned with a knife, before beginning his stabbing spree.

One man, speaking to the ABC, said that when the man re-entered the centre carrying the knife he was moving “really calmly”.

“He was walking like he was having an ice cream in the park,” the man said.

WPMUFC

I imagine his house is being torn apart by cops as we speak.

‘The motive is unknown’, says PM

Reece Kershaw,
the commissioner of the Australian Federal Police has said it is “too early to determine a motive” and has warned it would be “unhelpful to speculate” at this stage.

Asked whether there is any information about whether this was a terrorist incident, Kershaw has said:

Having spoken with the NSW Police Commissioner at this stage, it’s too early to give that assessment. However, all the agencies, the right agencies are working together to make that assessment.
Anthony Albanese has echoed this sentiment, saying:

I think the AFP commissioner has made it clear that speculation… would be unhelpful at this time, we should allow the investigators to go about their work… I’ve also had a discussion tonight with the director general of ASIO. The motive at this stage is unknown and we will, of course, continue to update the Australian public as more information is known.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sounds like most of the victims were women. Nothing said officially so maybe just those reported.

WPMUFC

Sounds like most of the victims were women. Nothing said officially so maybe just those reported.
i was thinking the same thing. I have only heard about and see female victims. Maybe more will come out soon about those in hospital.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
These stabbings seem to be more and more frequent.

We had a women here in the UK stabbed while pushing a pram.

What on earth is going on?

RedDevilQuebecois

I don’t even know what to say anymore with shit like this. The fact he was given a quick death is a travesty. Warped little cnut.
Yep, what a despicable creature. That does not even deserve the right to be called a human being.

I imagine his house is being torn apart by cops as we speak.
I hope so. And all the people who knew him better answer all questions during interrogation if they don't want to be charged with obstruction of justice.

WPMUFC

Basically confirmation it's NOT terrorism

Police say attacker is 40-year-old man, but do not release identity

Police commissioner Karen Webb says that police believe they know who the attacker is, but are waiting to formally identify him.

Later this evening, we became aware of who we believe the offender is and we believe that he is a 40-year-old man. However, we are waiting to formally identify him and we cannot speak yet on his identification.

Let me assure you that we are confident that there is no ongoing risk and we are dealing with one person who is now deceased.
Webb says that the attacker – if it is the person police believe it is – was known to police, and they do not have fears that he was ideologically motivated.

We are waiting to confirm his identification and if it is the person we believe it is, we don’t have fear for that person holding an ideation. In other words, that it’s not a terrorism incident.

Cloud7

How do you stab a baby multiple times. There’s fecked in the head and then there’s that.

At least he got what he deserved. The world is better off without scum like this “paying their debt to society”

Raven

What a fecking coward, targeting women and babies is despicable even in the context of random stabbing sprees.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Awful news for all the racists and islamophobes on twitter who immediately blamed Islam, Gaza and people of colour.
He was known to police but they also seem to be suggesting it isn't terrorism. I guess what that means will be come clear in due course.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He was known to police but they also seem to be suggesting it isn't terrorism. I guess what that means will be come clear in due course.
Which is what certain accounts never do. They make their minds up immediately to promote their agendas. Always best to wait for the facts first.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
How do you stab a baby multiple times. There’s fecked in the head and then there’s that.

At least he got what he deserved. The world is better off without scum like this “paying their debt to society”
This. Good riddance to him.

RedDevilQuebecois

I agree. Feck him.

The only disappointment in his demise is that he did not suffer a slower and more agonizing death after everything he inflicted.