Massive Twitter hack

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
No thread about this? Hackers seem to have simultaneously gotten control of loads of blue tick accounts (including Twitter Support) and posted bitcoin scam messages.

They got Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Barrack Obama, Joe Biden, Apple etc...

Santos J

Crazy scale of it, they made well over $100k in just a few hours too. Surprised at the amount of people who are apparently technically aware enough to own cryptocurrencies are dumb enough to fall for something like this though.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Crazy scale of it, they made well over $100k in just a few hours too. Surprised at the amount of people who are apparently technically aware enough to own cryptocurrencies are dumb enough to fall for something like this though.
It's blue to be fair

Thank goodness it's only a money prank. If it's something more than that could start a nuclear war, or could stumble the stock market

Santos J

It's blue to be fair

Thank goodness it's only a money prank. If it's something more than that could start a nuclear war, or could stumble the stock market
Yeah the level of access they had it could've been way worse. Think it'll be some random hacker who's "hit the jackpot" with a security hole in the API as the API was due to be updated today so bit of a coincidence it happens a day prior, could even have got information from inside that it was being updated due to a security flaw or something.

edit

yeah help from an insider apparently

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bit weird they chose to do that of all things. And had access to Trump but did nothing?

Finding it quite funny though. The fallout on Twitter has been great, with people having to retweet other accounts saying what they want because nobody with a blue tick can tweet :lol:

hobbers

Well played.

Wonder how many of those idiots who fell for it would have told you "oh but bitcoin is actually so much safer". Yeah, but something is only ever as foolproof as the person using it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
And today it’s Cloudflare that is going nuts, shutting off portions of the internet. Just put it in this thread as it is odd timing.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Surprised at the amount of people who are apparently technically aware enough to own cryptocurrencies are dumb enough to fall for something like this though.
This is what got me too, surely this is just a modern equivalent of “Hi I am a Nigerian businessman and I’d like to deposit millions of gold bars in your bank account”

I know it was on blue tick accounts but surely it was painfully obvious it was a hack, my Granddad would have fallen for it, but people trading in and using bitcoin I would have given them more credit.

hobbers

You just wonder how the sort of people who fall for that kind of blatant scam get through life without any checks and balances in their own minds. Given that it's a bitcoin scam, it's not like any of them will have the excuse of being elderly, senile or ignorant of technology.

Cloud7

Rest assured caftards, my twitter account is safe. No need to alarm yourselves.