Master of None

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone watching this? New series that Netflix put up last week starring Aziz Ansari... Four episodes in so far and I think it's brilliant. It's smart, funny, sometimes charming and mostly authentic... another winner for Netflix I'd say (and certainly based on critical reviews as well...)

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I'm up to episode eight. Has a Louis-esque feel in the way it expressly attacks it's themes but without the weirdness. I like it.

Holy shit the supporting actors are bad, especially Brian and Denise.

Cornell

I'm up to episode eight. Has a Louis-esque feel in the way it expressly attacks it's themes but without the weirdness. I like it.

Holy shit the supporting actors are bad, especially Brian and Denise.
Yeah the actor playing Brian delivers every line in such an awkward, stilted way, like you can almost hear the director yelling "action" before he starts speaking. Somehow he manages to be endearing though, ala Jerry Seinfeld.

kps88

I just finished it yesterday. Was very good.

And I can't believe Aziz's dad actually talks like that in real life apparently :lol:

Cina

It's great. I watched the entire thing last weekend. Definitely starts better than it finishes though, and "Parents" is the best episode.

Cerpin

Agree that some of the supporting cast is pretty bad. Especially Brian. The girl play Rachel is fantastic though. Not as funny as I expected, but they tackle some of the more 'serious' issues pretty well. I found the development of Aziz' and Rachel's relationship pretty realistic. All in all, a pretty good comedy (or dramedy) show.

Had to laugh whenever Aziz and Arnold walked next to each other. The difference in size, sheesh.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
This is getting good reviews, but I initially wasn't interested at all because I find most of Aziz's comedy unfunny. Is this show better than his stand-up?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is getting good reviews, but I initially wasn't interested at all because I find most of Aziz's comedy unfunny. Is this show better than his stand-up?
I'd say so - but then, it's not really a comedy... it's more a comedy/drama/social commentary

Cina

Not sure about that, there are some genuinely hilarious episodes. "Parents" and the Indian actor stereotypes being the standouts. Definitely gets more drama than comedy in latter episodes though.

It's really good.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Ok is this better than Steven Merchant's 'Hello Ladies'? Plot seems similar to me. I've only read bits here and there on the net.

Castia

The sickening!!!......it's happening!

Great show I enjoyed every episode.

Momochiru

It's great. I watched the entire thing last weekend. Definitely starts better than it finishes though, and "Parents" is the best episode.
Agree. Definetly the best episod. The first one about parenthood is really good too.

Agree that some of the supporting cast is pretty bad. Especially Brian. The girl play Rachel is fantastic though. Not as funny as I expected, but they tackle some of the more 'serious' issues pretty well. I found the development of Aziz' and Rachel's relationship pretty realistic. All in all, a pretty good comedy (or dramedy) show.

Had to laugh whenever Aziz and Arnold walked next to each other. The difference in size, sheesh.
I was actually going to say that the only thing I don't like about the show is the girlfriend. Not that she is a bad actor, just the whole interaction between the two is very unrealistic and forced. Just my opinion, though.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Loved this show. It's not your usual, run of the mill, slapstick comedy with vulgar jokes being the crux. Had some nice thought provoking moments too.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Brilliant show. Thought it got stronger as the series went on.

Cina

Brilliant show. Thought it got stronger as the series went on.
Hard to say. Definitely got more drama than comedy in later episodes, which meant it wasn't as funny, but either way I enjoyed the whole thing immensely.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Same here. He just seemed to compensate for a lack of decent material by repeating things a lot. Not for me.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Didn't like this at all. Watched 4 eps and didn't laugh once.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Looking forward to it. Was a brilliant first season and the 2nd one has good reviews so far.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
First episode of the new season is good. A very simple idea, but they pulled it off.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
How is it? Liked the first season a lot.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Superb season again. Better than first for me. Only one reservation

I like Francesca, the actress was great. But I was not super into the whole arc. The second last episode was the weakest for me. It was acted well and sold the moments between the two really well but still it was not anything different to many such love stories before this where a lot of stuff in MON is fairly unique.
Dev's feeling for her driven by his fear of loneliness could have been interesting but as a full blown romantic arc, it was the weakest part of the season for me. Thus, I did not even care too much about the final scene.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Episode 6 is fecking superb.
My favorite episode was the Thanksgiving one.

If I had to rate all 10 it would go like this -

Thanksgiving
NY I love u
Thief
First Date
Door 3
Religion
Buona Notte
Dinner party
Le Nozze
Amarsi Un Po

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watched the first 5 last night, First Dates was really good. Aziz' mum's acting is hilariously bad :lol:

Castia

I just finished season 2 its brilliant. I love this show, its got just the right mix of comedy and drama imo.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Didn't really feel any of the wrap around Italian/love story ones, but the little run of vignettes in the middle were great. NY I Love U in particular.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did you all just truck through a whole season over a couple of days? Whatever happened to delayed gratification? I'm sure shows like this are meant to be savoured over a longer period of time. There's so much stuff waiting to be watched it's easy enough to mix it up a bit. Do you reckon you enjoy a show more when you gorge like that? Or is it just an unavoidable urge to watch one more episode?