Mata - free agent

Andy_Cole

Should we get him back? I’m concerned Eriksen has no like for like backup. I always thought Mata could play that position but for some reason no United manager attempted it. I do fear for an Eriksen injury. He’s arguably our most important player considering the backup options.

Last edited:

BehemothTerror

No, Nothing but good things to say about Juan, and he deffo was underused here, but we've got both his positions covered now and I'd rather we use of youth talents in rotation instead

Jericho

I've been googling him from time to time to see where he goes. At this point it almost seems like he's just going to retire.

But no, we shouldn't bring him back. He just left ffs. Nothing against him personally but we need to move on from this kind of player.

Idxomer

There's a reason why he can't find a club in Europe to pay him what he wants, he's finished and has been for a couple of years.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Shouldn't be considering a EPL move unless he's after one last big pay day.

Should be looking at MLS in all honesty.

luke511

For the love of god no, we’ve only just managed to get rid of the youth inhibitor.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Top fella, but hasn't been a good player for a while.

I too think he could have done a job in the kind of role Eriksen is playing right now, but it should've been a good few years ago when he had the legs. Not now.

Woodzy

Bring him in as a coach to make our players feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Brophs

The One and Only
He still hasn't found a club? Big hugs to Juan, he deserves to find a new club. Maybe Italy?
Rumours that he did a medical with Leeds during the summer. So I guess he could still be running the second lap of the pitch they asked him to do.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Donny and Zidane for the time being fit ETH more than Mata who's not even usually playing on Eriksen's current position.

I share the worry though, we'll need completely new midfield in 2-3 years as McFred is still suspect of questionable quality.

Castia

One of the worst ideas I've ever read on here so well done for that.

micmac

We should hire him to working in our Media or PR team. He could write travelling or match day blogs for the team :lol:

spiriticon

Mata most definitely cannot play central midfield in the PL, haha.

Not only is he not physical enough, I don't think he has the same range of passing as Eriksen does.

Pass and Move

Someone will probably agree with you on this thread soon. Maybe after we sign Gaitan.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Not his biggest fan, far from it but I wouldn't want this to happen.

Chief123

Should we get him back? I’m concerned Erikson has no like for like backup. I always thought Mata could play that position but for some reason no United manager attempted it. I do fear for an Erikson injury. He’s arguably our most important player considering the backup options.
Eriksen has been playing as a deep lying playmaker for us. Mata would be terrible in that position. He would get over run every game.

I would have Fred, Mctominay, Zidane, Martinez all ahead of him in that position.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
yes but we’ve left it so we’ll have to blow all the other offers he’ll have received out of the water. saying that, if he tries to take us for more than £475k per week or we walk away imo.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm surprised nobody has picked him up.

He's either asking for too much money or very selective about where he wants to go.

I don't think he had much of an injury record.

There's a reason why he can't find a club in Europe to pay him what he wants, he's finished and has been for a couple of years.
Exactly.

There was a weirdly vocal group on here that routinely insisted we underused him for years and took great offence to the suggestion that he hasn't been a top division-level player for years now. Thought they'd be fewer now that he's left and hasn't found a club yet, but apparently not!

The suggestion that Mata at his peak could have played the role Eriksen is in right now was a contentious one. To think the 34-year-old version would be any use at all is ludicrous.

El Jefe

:lol: this man has cast a spell on some of you.

He has nothing to offer us and stopped being of any use in 2018.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Get Fellaini in instead. We have no player like him at the moment.

I'm sure ETH would love it as opposition players run straight past him. He lost his legs years ago, he wouldn't get a game in any of the top leagues now.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Shame for Mata hope he doesn't retire and gets a club. Maybe MLS would be a shout for him? Turkish league transfer window is open for a few days aswell, plus im sure he can sign for almost any club as he’s a free agent no?

The White Pele

I’m really surprised and a bit disappointed at the way he has seemingly let the second half of his career just pass him by.

He was such a talented player he shouldn’t ever really have settled for the paltry number of minutes he has had for the last few seasons. Now he’s just floating around as a free agent. I presume he’s looking for a club but it’s curious that he hasn’t signed for anyone at this stage if he was keen to play some football. Strange.

redsunited

Giggs last year before retirement was much better than Mata's last season. One of many Ole's mistakes with a bloated squad with players who dont get minutes.