Mata Injury | On the bench vs Swansea

manunited1919

Why Not Recall Janujaz back from His loan spell to fill in for mata for rest of the season. Or time to give Chance to an academy player.
He hasn't done well while at loan. He has played 1463 minutes, scored 1 goal (in league cup), has got 3 assists, 3 yellow cards, and 1 red. IMO , we are better off playing Mhiki, Martial, Lingard, Rashford or even giving TFM a chance.

wolvored

This isn't a massive blow at all. It's not like he's our regular game changer anyway so why are we making it looks like we are doomed without him. I believe player like Mkhytaryan, Martial, Lingard, Rashford are more than enough to cover Mata's injury.
Thats right. Its a squad we have, so use it. Valencia could be pushed up as a RW in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1, or play Lingard from the right. Its time for Martial, Miki and Rashford to start scoring regular.

wolvored

He hasn't done well while at loan. He has played 1463 minutes, scored 1 goal (in league cup), has got 3 assists, 3 yellow cards, and 1 red. IMO , we are better off playing Mhiki, Martial, Lingard, Rashford or even giving TFM a chance.
I think Januzaj has run his course here. He will probably be sold for 7-8 million. Pity we were reportedly offered 30 million for him 2 years ago according to the press.

manunited1919

If there's a silver lining in our current injury crisis is that it will allow Jose to push the remaining players to give their all. If we get the right siege mentality in the 11 players on the field, it will be better than having Mata playing.

Here's what Micky said about the injury crisis: "“Yes we know they are going to miss the game and for us it is bad news but we are ready to play,” he said. “Everyone who is getting ready for West Brom knows they have the take the responsibility.” - from manutd website.

manunited1919

I think Januzaj has run his course here. He will probably be sold for 7-8 million. Pity we were reportedly offered 30 million for him 2 years ago according to the press.
Yes, he will likely be sold. He showed much promise, but perhaps didn't have the right mentality to make the most of the talent and opportunities he got.

Dyslexic Untied

I actively substituted Mata in this week and made him captain. Story of this fantasy season for me.

prtk0811

TFM aint a attacking player though and Rashford is wasted on the right, While Lingard cant play all the remaining matches and we need more options. He has not done well but he's in pretty bad team right now and moyes has lost it dosnt mean he cant contribute here till the end of the season , Sunderland have no chance of saving their relegation with or without him

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
May I remind you that we have also lost Lallana - so it's not just you all with bad luck with injuries in the run-in.

prtk0811

May I remind you that we have also lost Lallana - so it's not just you all with bad luck with injuries in the run-in.
You play once a week only , we have europa league as well and crucial matches at the end while mata could be out for rest of the season , and we also lost smalling and jones

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
You play once a week only , we have europa league as well and crucial matches at the end while mata could be out for rest of the season , and we also lost smalling and jones
Well, not saying it's bad (and it is bad, Mata has been crucial for quite a number of points), but just saying we also have crucial games coming up even if it's once a week, and Lallana is a big part of our pressing system. You're just behind us and we can't afford to let the CL spots slip, especially since the possibility of you winning the EL and Leicester the CL is still there.

This news has a double effect for me, now we will probably revert back to Rooney
On the other hand, that is really bad. I hope it's good news for us then. :D

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Mkhi, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, Rooney can all go in the line of three behind Zlatan. A loss but a manageable one as long as one of them steps up. Martial was really good last spring.

I'd be more worried about the defense and lack of cover further back in MF.

prtk0811

Well, not saying it's bad (and it is bad, Mata has been crucial for quite a number of points), but just saying we also have crucial games coming up even if it's once a week, and Lallana is a big part of our pressing system. You're just behind us and we can't afford to let the CL spots slip, especially since the possibility of you winning the EL and Leicester the CL is still there.

On the other hand, that is really bad. I hope it's good news for us then. :D
And mata is a big part of our ball controlling and circulation system who adds more creativity and presence in the box, And Leicester wont win the Ucl that's guaranteed .

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm very much sure this is just a joke and one of the reason I fecking hate this day. Journalists, reputed papers acting like kids.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Mkhi, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, Rooney can all go in the line of three behind Zlatan. A loss but a manageable one as long as one of them steps up. Martial was really good last spring.

I'd be more worried about the defense and lack of cover further back in MF.
Definitely agree. Mata has done well in fits and starts but lacks consistency and goes missing all too often. His loss is by no means the end of the world.

As others have said, it's time for others to step up, we've still plenty of quality in the squad.

kps88

Loving the optimism of those that still think this is a joke.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Oh noes. From feeling joyful after seeing "Status: Starting Soon" on the homepage to feeling depressed after seeing this thread. And I hadn't even had my coffee!

I'd consider recalling one of Januzaj or Pereira but as I understand we can't?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sigh. He's a crucial player for us even though it's clear he wasn't really supposed to be, if that makes sense. It looks as if Jose just shoehorned him onto the right hand side yet Mata came up trumps consistently and left himself hard to ignore. So it's a shame when a player with that talent and persistence is hit with such a lengthy injury.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This isn't a massive blow at all. It's not like he's our regular game changer anyway so why are we making it looks like we are doomed without him. I believe player like Mkhytaryan, Martial, Lingard, Rashford are more than enough to cover Mata's injury.
Our second best goalscorer, tends to score crucial goals, tends to perform in big games. I'd genuinely love to live on the planet you do where losing that player at the crux point of the season with an already depleated squad isn't a big deal, it would ease my nerves a fair bit for the run in ahead. Unfortunately I live on this one, where we'll be depending on players who haven't been as good as Mata this season to suddenly replace him, knowing that if they don't then we're frankly fecked.

Mike09

Our second best goalscorer, tends to score crucial goals, tends to perform in big games. I'd genuinely love to live on the planet you do where losing that player at the crux point of the season with an already depleated squad isn't a big deal, it would ease my nerves a fair bit for the run in ahead. Unfortunately I live on this one, where we'll be depending on players who haven't been as good as Mata this season to suddenly replace him, knowing that if they don't then we're frankly fecked.
Being second highest goalscorer means nothing special if it's just 10 goals in all comp while the three of Rashford, Martial and Mkhytaryan had 7 goals each. And both Martial and Mkhytaryan played less games than Mata.

You must have missed the important goals that Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Mkhytaryan had scored. And I don't understand what kind of big games you have been watching. Only Arsenal game? Mata failed to perform in final EFL cup against Southampton and he didn't perform when he came on against Liverpool.

Sorry but it's a fact that losing Mata isn't a massive blow. He can be replaced by the other players.

prtk0811

You see Jose!? You see what happens when you force him to run!
Being second highest goalscorer means nothing special if it's just 10 goals in all comp while the three of Rashford, Martial and Mkhytaryan had 7 goals each. And both Martial and Mkhytaryan played less games than Mata.

You must have missed the important goals that Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Mkhytaryan had scored. And I don't understand what kind of big games you have been watching. Only Arsenal game? Mata failed to perform in final EFL cup against Southampton and he didn't perform when he came on against Liverpool.

Sorry but it's a fact that losing Mata isn't a massive blow. He can be replaced by the other players.
What can mata do in the final if the midfield and its balance is all over the place? what can mata do alone when liverpool press and counterpress with so high workrate ?

Mata is important ball holding and creating player who circulates the ball better and keps the ball more for the team and creates something and when we play Man city or arsenal he's gonna be a useful asset because we have to hold and circulate the ball better than them in those games. It was mata's goal which dumped city out of efl cup

EyeInTheSky

What can mata do in the final if the midfield and its balance is all over the place? what can mata do alone when liverpool press and counterpress with so high workrate ?

Mata is important ball holding and creating player who circulates the ball better and keps the ball more for the team and creates something and when we play Man city or arsenal he's gonna be a useful asset because we have to hold and circulate the ball better than them in those games. It was mata's goal which dumped city out of efl cup
Why have you quoted me in your reply to the other poster?

Moiraine

This is such a shame, he was one player we (Man United fans) expect to come up with a key pass and giving a breakthrough in tight games. We will miss him in big games surely, just hope Mikhitaryan stays fit for the rest of the season.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Bad news. His knack of scoring a goal when we really need it, especially without Zlatan, Herrera's persistence and Pogba's passing. Not what we needed going into this busy month.

If the reason behind it is factual, can't see he being involved much (if at all) for the rest of this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Pretty sure (though I may be wrong) Mata got either a goal or assist in the finals CL, EL, Euro, Copa and FA Cup before he ever arrived here, at which point he contributed a few crucial goals against City, plenty of goals/assists against Liverpool, a goal against Arsenal in that 1-1 draw, an equaliser in the FA Cup final and MOTM performances in games like Chelsea and Spurs away? Maybe more as well, it's hard to remember them all.

In fact, from earlier this year:

So yeah, he's probably our most consistent big game player.

Goochy

Supports
Liverpool
Pretty sure (though I may be wrong) Mata got either a goal or assist in the finals CL, EL, Euro, Copa and FA Cup before he ever arrived here, at which point he contributed a few crucial goals against City, plenty of goals/assists against Liverpool, a goal against Arsenal in that 1-1 draw, an equaliser in the FA Cup final and MOTM performances in games like Chelsea and Spurs away? Maybe more as well, it's hard to remember them all.
Awaiting lame attempted 'April Fools' escape from @Mike09 ...

Mike09

In fact, from earlier this year:

So yeah, he's probably our most consistent big game player.
I'm 100% sure you are wrong with that because I just do not understand why are you trying to defend that losing Mata right now isn't a massive loss by including a stats and performance that mentioned Mata's PL career and his Chelsea career, when clearly the likes of Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Mkhytaryan had only played for one or two seasons in PL.
Does that mean losing Rooney right now is a big loss? He's been involved with so many important goals and games with us in his whole career (according to your logic).

Losing a player for being just a little better in number of goals or even performance means not a big deal and not a big loss. Players like Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Mkhytaryan are capable to replace him. Some of these players haven't been given as much as games time as Mata and yet the gaps aren't much different in term of goals or being important in a big games.

Mike09

What can Mata do?

Well, it's simple. Just performing in those games like what the people in here have been saying 'big game player'. As far as what I can see here this season, he's not!! I can't see the logic why losing Mata is a big deal. Players like Mkhytaryan, Lingard, Martial and Rashford are capable to fill the loss.