Mata shirt number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

I remember reading that his favourite player a s kid was Giggs, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just took ma squad number for the remainder of this season and then got the number 11 in the summer when Giggs will likely retire.

forevrared

8 seems perfect for him, I think. 11 for Adnan seems natural for next season. I don't think we know our new #7 yet.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
8! Creative midfielder!

Normally I have in fm

11--10--7
---4--8
3--5--6--2

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
They were mostly occupied by wingers, which is what that number is for.
For us seven has always been about the teams talisman more than a winger (until fecking Michael Owen came along at least, but even then I understand why he got given it).

In the classical English football lineup yes 7 is for right winger. In the squad number era we've given it to two strikers, two right wingers and one winger who plays on either side (and spent most of his last two seasons playing off the left or up front).

Spurs, Palace, Norwich, Palace and Everton are the only clubs that have given 7 to actual wingers.

Fulham, Chelsea, Newcastle and Swansea have given it to deeper lying midfielders. Arsenal and West Brom have given it to attacking midfielders.

Liverpool and Southampton have given it to strikers.

Cardiff, Hull, Sunderland, Manchester City and Villa have given it to utility players.

Stoke and us don't have one.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He is a big Giggs fan, isn't he? Ryan should retire and pass him the 11.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Go 9 for arguments sake, why not, creative goal scoring midfielder, bit of the Bobby Charlton's about him in that aspect.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Pretty funny that Mata creates all this excitement over a number, with Fellaini, no one blinked twice at throwing bloody 31 at him.

Castia

7 or 8 either would be great, I doubt we would give 8 away though in respect to Anderson, he's not officially left the club yet he's only out on loan.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pretty funny that Mata creates all this excitement over a number, with Fellaini, no one blinked twice at throwing bloody 31 at him.
Well we all know why that is don't we? Fellaini should never have been signed and nobody was genuinely excited about him joining us, despite many of us trying to convince ourselves otherwise.

Ekeke

I'd be surprised if we didnt take the opportunity to make him our new number 7 given he's our record signing and first forward we've brought in (not pure striker like RVP who would take a pure goalscorers' number) who could give us a Ronaldo-ish contribution in the final third in terms of overall end product. I think lavishing the 7 on him would only raise the confidence around the place even more.

I dont think for one second we're thinking about what number Januzaj needs to be wearing as he's a young man who has all the time in the world and could realistically wear the 7 after Mata. There's probably a number 10 up for grabs soon anyway

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
After hearing Robo speak on SSN I think it will be number 7. Which for me is the right move.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He'll want the 10 (always had it, a player gave it up for him when we signed him).

That's not gonna happen though so the 7 at United seems a good fit. Hopefully after this season he emulates your previous 7s Owen and Valencia more than Ronaldo or Beckham.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm torn between number 11 and number 8.

Januzaj may get 11 or 7, so I think they'll take that into account.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I think he should get 11 next season after his idol Giggs. Januzaj is primed for number 7 imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.