g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mateo Kovacic

Threesus

Chelsea fans I know say that his play has declined significantly this year. Also his passing is not the best it seems.

I would really like bennacer from ac milan.

glasgow 21

As for Šutalo, here is my post about him from another thread. He was better than Gvardiol against Turkey yesterday and played a beautiful key pass for the opening goal.
[/QUOTE]
Yes agreed , watched the game from start to finish. He is a comfortable watch on the ball. Definitely one, at his age, that should be high up on the scouting radar.

Last edited:

MegadrivePerson

At 28 his best years are gone? That seems rather improbable.
He will be 29 in May.

I think it would be a mistake to sign another midfielder in this age bracket. It would mean next season all four of our main midfield choices would be 29+.

Ideally we need somebody around the 24/25 age.

MegadrivePerson

Chelsea fans I know say that his play has declined significantly this year. Also his passing is not the best it seems.

I would really like bennacer from ac milan.
That's the impression I get from him too. I doubt Chelsea would sell him to a rival club if they thought he was in his pomp!

El Jefe

Would be a really surprising move but he is almost perfect for that role next to Cas. His ability to evade the press and run with the ball is as good as anyone in the league. He's also pretty strong on the ball too, he basically has all the qualities we're missing from Eriksen in CM.

Wouldn't mind saving some budget buying him so we can go all out with some attacking signings.

croadyman

Would be a really surprising move but he is almost perfect for that role next to Cas. His ability to evade the press and run with the ball is as good as anyone in the league. He's also pretty strong on the ball too, he basically has all the qualities we're missing from Eriksen in CM.

Wouldn't mind saving some budget buying him so we can go all out with some attacking signings.
How much do you think he can signed for

croadyman

He will be 29 in May.

I think it would be a mistake to sign another midfielder in this age bracket. It would mean next season all four of our main midfield choices would be 29+.

I do think this is a very valid concern because don't want to replace too many at one go

Abraxas

He will be 29 in May.

It's a bit of a concern but probably not that much because in practice not all your 30+ guys will decline at the same rate. We have the likes of Mainoo and Hannibal at the youth end of the scale.

Maybe it's not perfect in terms of having players in the middle part of their career, but if the economics line up then it gives an opportunity to address other parts of the squad. If you get Kovacic for a relative bargain, maybe a young striker can be sought in addition to an experienced one. Or maybe a RB or CB can be bought. It's not always that you can get a quality proven player for relatively cheap so maybe we have to take them in the position they're available for the benefit of the overall squad.

We have to remember our funds are not limitless at the moment, our finances are not that great until we have new ownership so opportunities like this may be the chance we need. If a sale goes through it could be a different story. I think this would be a pragmatic choice.

Lux Thunder

His completed passes stat is at about 85 percent..
Although I can agree that is not a spectacular passing ratio, but decent enough considering his passes into the final third/penalty area and progressive passes percentage.

I would take that above better passing completion any day of the week, he is the closest thing to FDJ we'll find available in the market this summer.

croadyman

Although I can agree that is not a spectacular passing ratio, but decent enough considering his passes into the final third/penalty area and progressive passes percentage.

I would take that above better passing completion any day of the week, he is the closest thing to FDJ we'll find available in the market this summer.
What about Bennacer as alternative?

Lux Thunder

What about Bennacer as alternative?
Bennacer is an excellent player, but I personally don't see him as a better midfield partner for Casemiro than Kovačić. Don't get me wrong, he is also a very good dribbler when pressed with great passing range too, but I wouldn't put him in the same elite category as FDJ or Kovačić for ball progression yet.

Actually, his defensive contribution makes me think Bennacer would be a better alternative for Casemiro in the double pivot, rather than partner next to him - I think with both on the field we would still lack some ball progression needed at the top level.

Also, I think he signed a new deal just recently so he will cost a lot more than Kovačić, which is not good for a player I don't have the same feeling he would be the perfect partner for Casemiro.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
We should be all over this as a potential signing.

Lux Thunder

He was shit yesterday. So was Enzo.

Kante is miles ahead of any of them. And he just got back.
Agree to some part but as I said before, I would have been cautious rating any Chelsea player on the base of this season, let alone one match - they are in a complete and utter mess.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

For me, what’s most important is the short passing game. Quite literally none of our central midfielders seem to know (or want) to pass the ball accurately across 5-15 yards and zip it about to retain the ball. It’s all forward thinking launches to Rashford/Garnacho et al. Too one paced.

Remember the geese

I rate Kovacic but it's amazing how few goals he's scored throughout his career. Strange how poor a finisher he is as he's very good technically.

Lux Thunder

For me, what’s most important is the short passing game. Quite literally none of our central midfielders seem to know (or want) to pass the ball accurately across 5-15 yards and zip it about to retain the ball. It’s all forward thinking launches to Rashford/Garnacho et al. Too one paced.
Yes, that's where I see Kovačić excelling - he has the patience and control to exchange a few short passes and when space is open he has a great burst of acceleration with the ball to progress further.

I rate Kovacic but it's amazing how few goals he's scored throughout his career. Strange how poor a finisher he is as he's very good technically.
That's so true, if he could add finishing he would be one of the most complete midfielders around. I remember Modrić was criticized for not taking enough shots when in good positions and he developed that late in his career so there is still hope for Kovačić regarding finishing actions.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I do but some players will obviously have to go. If he doesn't want to stay then I wouldn't whinge if the club cash in rather than lose him on a free.
Ah fair enough, thanks for your thoughts.

mav_9me

Depending on our ffp restrictions this would be an extremely shrewd purchase.

aeh1991

If we'd sign Kovacic, I'd go after a young CM rather than signing Sabitzer (even though I like him).

Real Name

Modrić scored a few too. I'm not saying he's as good as Modrić, no player is but that it shouldnt take anything from his quality.

Drizzle

Watched him closely last night. Obviously he's quite classy on the ball, but he looked really slow when things got intense. A few times players breezed past him and he was running in treacle.

With Case and Eriksen we already have one of the slowest midfields in the league. Don't think we need another. Pass for me.

daba

Watched him closely last night. Obviously he's quite classy on the ball, but he looked really slow when things got intense. A few times players breezed past him and he was running in treacle.

With Case and Eriksen we already have one of the slowest midfields in the league. Don't think we need another. Pass for me.
I agree. Good player but I don’t see him having much longevity at the top and he’s just going to turn it another Matic type signing that we regret in 1-2 years.

croadyman

Who should we get?

Drizzle

Who should we get?
If we can't get FDJ, then Rabiot (free) + a more attacking 8 such as Mac Allister, Kudus, Mount etc. We need 2 and that will give us a lot of options for a reasonable budget.

Your thoughts?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t think he’s a good enough passer. I used to be in love with him at Inter.