Matheus Nunes - Wolverhampton Wanderers

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This guy should be first on the list of alternatives to de Jong. I don’t know why we aren’t seriously looking at him.
£50.6m midfielder prefers to wait for Man United offer to secure move – Correio da Manha

the 23-year-old’s current contract has a release clause of £50.6m and CdM claim that the Lions would look to raise the clause to get as much cash as possible from his sale.
Nunes can play in multiple midfield roles and last season, he scored 4 goals and provided 5 assists in all competitions for Sporting. For the senior national side, thus far, he has started 2 games and scored 1 goal.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The way he dribbled past 3 players while also outmuscled another and drove the ball up the field and crossed it to Nuno Santos who scored all in one set play was remarkable. Also the vision to execute the pass to Porro who then assisted Pote for the goal was sex.

If you watch the second goal you see it.

SportingCP96

Supports

Hmmmmm
Both brilliant runs in fairness, Nunes turned dribbled and ran past 4 guys and got an assist while outmuscling a guy.

FDJ was brilliant as well with that turn of pace and outside foot !

sglowrider

Both brilliant runs in fairness, Nunes turned dribbled and ran past 4 guys and got an assist while outmuscling a guy.

FDJ was brilliant as well with that turn of pace and outside foot !
So you don't think Nunes is gettable this summer for United?

SportingCP96

Supports
So you don't think Nunes is gettable this summer for United?
Highly doubt it, Ruben Amorim stated already that Sporting has gone to great lengths to keep him this year and Nunes himself both today after the as well as a couple of weeks ago stated that he is not leaving.

Earlier in the summer he denied a move to Wolves. I believe he wants to wait until next summer and I think after Peps words he wants to play for him. That’s just a guess though.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I wonder why Nunes hasn’t already moved somewhere big. Was very good last season, and he’s really technical. He’d be a massive improvement on any of United’s current midfield.

SportingCP96

Supports
I wonder why Nunes hasn’t already moved somewhere big. Was very good last season, and he’s really technical. He’d be a massive improvement on any of United’s current midfield.
Due to Sporting’s recent success they don’t need to sell their biggest talents all at once.

Seems we’re only allowing one to leave at a time for now,

Last summer it was Nuno Mendes, this summer it was Joao Palhinha.

Next summer it might be both Nunes and Pote (Pedro Gonçalves).

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Due to Sporting’s recent success they don’t need to sell their biggest talents all at once.

Seems we’re only allowing one to leave at a time for now,

Last summer it was Nuno Mendes, this summer it was Joao Palhinha.

Next summer it might be both Nunes and Pote (Pedro Gonçalves).
That’s United’s loss then because they could do with him now. Just noticed I said “somewhere big” above, I didn’t mean Sporting aren’t big, more that he could play for the biggest Champions League clubs.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was excellent yesterday. He was valued at £50m this summer, I wonder if his valuation will go up after, hopefully, another stellar season.

SportingCP96

Supports
He was excellent yesterday. He was valued at £50m this summer, I wonder if his valuation will go up after, hopefully, another stellar season.
Keep in mind World Cup as well is around the corner!

SportingCP96

Supports
That’s United’s loss then because they could do with him now. Just noticed I said “somewhere big” above, I didn’t mean Sporting aren’t big, more that he could play for the biggest Champions League clubs.
No I totally understand!

Listen clube like Sporting, Porto, Benfica, Ajax etc won’t ever be able to hold onto their top talents anymore. Money talks and especially the lore of playing in the EPL.

Clubs like Fulham and wolves can offer money to these guys that we simply can’t.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He'd be up there with my top realistic choices to replace Xhaka is this new role he has as 1 of the box to box 8. Seems to have a good balance of attacking instincts but still have enough about him defensively and have some stature about him to excel in the role.

SportingCP96

Supports
Just a matter of time before we enter a bidding war for his services.
It’s inevitable, he has characteristics that would excel in the premier league. Strong powerful runs from midfield, great technically and stamina to run up and down the pitch for 90 minute.

I highly doubt he stays at Sporting beyond this season.

EDIT AGAIN: After rewatching Dembele highlights for Spurs this comp is spot on. Nunes is a faster, stronger and better passing version.
If this kid is stronger than Dembele he might as well be Hulk. Dembele was an absolute unit with the ball at his feet. One of the strongest midfielders I can ever remember. Impossible to dispossess.

SportingCP96

Supports
If this kid is stronger than Dembele he might as well be Hulk. Dembele was an absolute unit with the ball at his feet. One of the strongest midfielders I can ever remember. Impossible to dispossess.
I don’t remember that part of his game (strength) but I won’t say your wrong because maybe I just did not notice!

I do remember that he was very skilled with the ball in his feet which made him very hard to dispossess.

Honestly looking back at it he is a really underrated player !

arthurka

It’s inevitable, he has characteristics that would excel in the premier league. Strong powerful runs from midfield, great technically and stamina to run up and down the pitch for 90 minute.

I highly doubt he stays at Sporting beyond this season.
Absolutely

izec

Now that De Jong looks very unlikely, i would push for this guy. See if he is up for it and take the 50m fee to Sporting if he has interest.

Phil

I'd love to get him. The profile we should be going for.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I have wished there were rumours for this lad ever since I saw him play first all those minutes ago

Mainoldo

Dean Jones said watch out for this guy as a surprise target.

He still doesn’t look technically sound enough to me. Looks like a Roy of the Rovers player. But what do I know.

SportingCP96

Supports
Rumors that Liverpool are keen on Nunes and willing to pay his buy out.

I doubt it’s something that happens this summer but I’m sure Liverpool are heavily monitoring him for next summer.

Klopp clearly likes fishing in the Portuguese league and I would not be surprised if he comes knocking on Sporting’s door for Nunes.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I doubt it’s something that happens this summer but I’m sure Liverpool are heavily monitoring him for next summer.

Klopp clearly likes fishing in the Portuguese league and I would not be surprised if he comes knocking on Sporting’s door for Nunes.
Buy out?!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Some think / hope they might pull the trigger on a midfielder this summer after the Thiago injury.

Also, most or adamant they will go big for Bellingham next summer. Nunes could be an alternative if that doesn't come off? Would be expensive to get both.

sglowrider

United need to pull their finger out of their arse on this.

Btw Nunes speaks any sprinkling of dutch? ;)

SportingCP96

Supports
Some think / hope they might pull the trigger on a midfielder this summer after the Thiago injury.

Also, most or adamant they will go big for Bellingham next summer. Nunes could be an alternative if that doesn't come off? Would be expensive to get both.
With Klopps admiration for the Portuguese league I could see him going with Nunes which will be much cheaper then Jude. English players have an extra tax on their price tag so KLopp could go with a cheaper option which would still allow him to attack other positions in the market.