emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
NAME: Matheus Nunes
POSITION: CM
HEIGHT: 6'0
NATIONALITY: Portuguese
TEAM: Sporting Clube De Portugal.

DESCRIPTION: Matheus Nunes is set to be the next big money transfer out of Sporting CP and with endorsements from the likes of Pep Guardiola their is little wonder why. Unsurprisingly Manchester City are one of the clubs rumored to be heavily interested in the 23 year old Sporting star who is also coveted by other of Europes elite clubs. Nunes has had a rather meteoric rise from working at a bakery at 19 years old with no proper football academy and playing for Estoril to becoming one of the best players in one of the biggest clubs in Portugal and known name in the world Sporting Clube De Portugal. Mainly used as a substitute in Sporting's 2020/2021 title winning campaign Nunes became a full time starter for Sporting in 2021/2022 replacing Joao Mario. Matheus Nunes blossomed and formed a fantastic partnership with both Joao Palhinha and Manuel Ugarte. His consilient performances caught the eye of Fernando Santos who rewarded him with his first of multiple appearances for Portugal during the course of the season where he also managed to bag a goal. When Ruben Amorim was hired as Sporting CP head coach for 10M much was talked about the price tag, however Sporting president Frederico Varandas stated "Matheus Nunes will pay Ruben Amorim's price tag and some". Safe to say that prediction that will be coming true.

PLAYSTYLE: Matheus Nunes is a old fashioned high energy Box to Box midfielder who never stops running the full length of the pitch and is a press resistant player who completed 3.19 dribbles per 90 and boasts a 86% pass accuracy. A Interesting stat for Nunes last season is that he completed more dribbles (85) then shots, key passes and interceptions combined (75). Blessed with brilliant technical ability especially in tight spaces and a fantastic passing range it is no wonder why his skill set is so sought after. Nunes plays in the CM role in Sporting's 5-2-3 set up and he is the one responsible for driving the ball forward for Sporting and his high energy means he also helps out defensively to good effect. He has creates and scored various opportunities by driving in late or pushing forward from the midfield. Matheus Nunes is very quick for a midfielder and his deceptive body feints allow him to create space needed to execute a pin point pass to his teammates. Matheus Nunes has also bulked up significantly and gas begun to fill out his tall frame which makes him more imposing on the pitch whilst still being his elegant best with the football. Matheus Nunes always possessed a natural football ability which is what caught the eye of the Sporting scouts but what was lacking was the in game understanding and tactical awareness which has been heavily improved thanks to extensive work by Amorim. His natural ability along with the fact he is still learning the game means that Pep sees a player who he can mold into the exact player he wants in the City midfield.

STRENGTHS: Technical ability, Passing long and short, Stamina, Shot power, Dribbling, Strength

WEAKNESSES: Heading, Shooting, Defensive Consistency and Awareness, End Product (lack of goals or assists)

POTENTIAL TRANSFERS/VALUATION ? Matheus Nunes is being heavily linked to Manchester City this summer as well as being linked to Chelsea/PSG/Unitedn and I believe England will be his next destination. If Sporting manage to hold Matheus Nunes this transfer window it will almost certainly be his last season at Sporting. Matheus Nunes will most likely be sold in the region of 50M-60M which is a fair value for a player of his skillset and characteristics.

According to Pep Guardiola Matheus Nunes is one of the best players in the world, is he right?

https://www.insidesport.com/sport-a...e-of-the-best-players-in-the-world-today/3931

VIDEOS/SCOUTING:

** These four videos display all Matheus Nunes array of talent and characteristic’s.**

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Really appreciate these scouting reports you do, about time.

Mainoldo

Looks wild like Bruno. I don’t see enough talent. Everton player at best.

SportingCP96

Supports
Thanks for the great writeup mate. Is there another midfielder you could compare his playstyle to?
Interesting that I tried to think of someone with his skill set to compare too but I am not sure, maybe someone else can help out with that.

The reason I say that is I can’t think of another box to box midfielder that had the same technical skill set/passing ability and speed who drives the ball forward the way Nunes does.

Oddly enough the one that comes to mind is Renato Sanches except a lot more technically gifted but not as physically imposing. When I think of Renato from Benfica and Portugal in Euro 2016 he’s the last guy I can remember who can drive the ball up the field with real quality. However Renato was never as skillful on the ball nor could he ever pass the ball like Matheus Nunes.

SportingCP96

Supports
Looks wild like Bruno. I don’t see enough talent. Everton player at best.
He plays nothing like Bruno at all. Pep also seems to disagree with you on that one. If you can’t see the talent in those 4 videos then I would suggest watching some games.

Braga VS Sporting this Sunday if you have time !

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
A talented midfielder who isn't going to cost a bomb, whats not to like!
He should have been signed by us this window in my opinion

Mainoldo

He plays nothing like Bruno at all. Pep also seems to disagree with you on that one. If you can’t see the talent in those 4 videos then I would suggest watching some games.

Braga VS Sporting this Sunday if you have time !
Klopp and half of Europe also liked Bruno. Yeah I’m only watching highlight. I’ll look out for him. It will probably be a Champs League game though.

SportingCP96

Supports
Klopp and half of Europe also liked Bruno. Yeah I’m only watching highlight. I’ll look out for him. It will probably be a Champs League game though.
Ya and all things considered Bruno has been a hit at United. His only bad season was last year.

Ya Nunes impressed Pep in their CL game.

BerryBerryShrew

Add him to the list of midfielders that we should be signing as an FdJ alternative and bear him in mind when we inevitability buy Neves for £80m at the end of the window.

SportingCP96

Supports
@SportingCP96 if there any story as to how he went from working in a bakery at 19 to playing top level football?
Yes so Matheus Nunes played in a second division non league team called Ericeirense whilst working at the bakery. Once his season at Ericeirense finished one of the assistant coaches of the club moved to Estoril Praia and convinced the club to sign Matheus Nunes. During this time Matheus Nunes was working in the bakery and as a cashier in the mornings and then he would bike to trainings in the evenings. After just 12 games in the Estoril U-23 team a Sporting scout informed Sporting about Nunes and then promptly paid Estoril 500K for the boy. Nunes then moved to Lisbon and spent his time developing in the Sporting B team before being called up by Rubem Amorim in the tail end of the 19/20 season. In 20/21 he became a first team regular scoring crucial goals in Sporting’s unexpected league win. The rest is history.

Ace of Spades

Yes so Matheus Nunes played in a second division non league team called Ericeirense whilst working at the bakery. Once his season at Ericeirense finished one of the assistant coaches of the club moved to Estoril Praia and convinced the club to sign Matheus Nunes. During this time Matheus Nunes was working in the bakery and as a cashier in the mornings and then he would bike to trainings in the evenings. After just 12 games in the Estoril U-23 team a Sporting scout informed Sporting about Nunes and then promptly paid Estoril 500K for the boy. Nunes then moved to Lisbon and spent his time developing in the Sporting B team before being called up by Rubem Amorim in the tail end of the 19/20 season. In 20/21 he became a first team regular scoring crucial goals in Sporting’s unexpected league win. The rest is history.
I love stories like this.

SportingCP96

Supports
I love stories like this.
Another twist in the story is whilst at Ericeirense and working at the bakery he had a trial for the Benfica B team (who play in the second division) for about a week. The coaches at Benfica stated he had lots of talent but that he was not ready for the demands of a second league team so Matheus Nunes returned to Ericeirense.

SportingCP96

Supports
@SportingCP96

A potential FdJ plan B? Good enough?
Absolutely good enough. Sporting seems adamant on not selling him this transfer window but I have no doubt he will leave next summer. However reports in Portugal say that if City sell Bernardo and offer the 60M talked about that Sporting will allow Nunes to leave.

Earlier in the window Wolves offered Sporting 45M + Objectives for Nunes which Sporting were considering accepting if Matheus Nunes wanted the move. However Matheus Nunes declined moving to Wolves because if he leaves Sporting he prefers to go to a bigger club.

BerryBerryShrew

Absolutely good enough. Sporting seems adamant on not selling him this transfer window but I have no doubt he will leave next summer. However reports in Portugal say that if City sell Bernardo and offer the 60M talked about that Sporting will allow Nunes to leave.

Earlier in the window Wolves offered Sporting 45M + Objectives for Nunes which Sporting were considering accepting if Matheus Nunes wanted the move. However Matheus Nunes declined moving to Wolves because if he leaves Sporting he prefers to go to a bigger club.
Shame, that rules us out then.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Good to hear. The few videos I saw, he looked like a box to box. But I will take your word for it. I know nothing.

Hopefully Matheus, it's on ETH's radar. As late as it is, we will probably need to throw in the entire FdJ budget/fees to get him over the line for the 1st priority fails.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
These are the kind of signings we should make. Young, talented, not too expensive and more willing to join United than established superstars who want CL football.

SportingCP96

Supports
Good to hear. The few videos I saw, he looked like a box to box. But I will take your word for it. I know nothing.

Hopefully Matheus, it's on ETH's radar. As late as it is, we will probably need to throw in the entire FdJ budget/fees to get him over the line for the 1st priority fails.
He is absolutely a box to box player. He is nothing similar to FDJ, in fact I think they would both compliment each other very well.

It's not a scenario where you have to choose between FDJ or Nunes, because in fact United could use both in their midfield.

SportingCP96

Supports
These are the kind of signings we should make. Young, talented, not too expensive and more willing to join United than established superstars who want CL football.
United have never been good at purchasing Superstar players. Those players tend to prefer the bright lights of Madrid and other cash cows. The last successful superstar purchase was probably RVN.

United should stick to what made them a top club in the past.

1. Promote the best academy products

2. Invest in top talents from lesser leagues who are proven or are world class talents. For example in the past, Ronaldo, Nani, RVN, Patrice Evra, Vidic, Ji Sung Park, Eric Cantona, Javier Hernandez, Bruno Fernandes.

3. Invest in the best British talent in England. For example in the past, Rooney, Rio Ferdinand etc.

4. Develop a model and play style. For camp;e Alex Ferguson lethal counter attacking 4-4-2

United need to go back to what made them a success.

afatzp

He reminds me a bit Mousa Dembele from Spur back then. Solid dribbler and playmaker from the back. Couple news link him with Man City this summer already. We should definitely nail him for FDJ alternative this summer before City all over him next season taken they have to replace Gundogan or even B. Silva.

SportingCP96

Supports
He reminds me a bit Mousa Dembele from Spur back then. Solid dribbler and playmaker from the back. Couple news link him with Man City this summer already. We should definitely nail him for FDJ alternative this summer before City all over him next season taken they have to replace Gundogan or even B. Silva.
Another player who will probably be playing in one of the big clubs in Spain next summer is Pedro Porro who is just 22 years old. He is fecking brilliant and for the price he would cost I'm not sure United could find a better alternative. I might make a scouting report thread on him if people are interested enough or at some point during the season. Real Madrid and Atletico have been monitoring him for some time now.

Porro and Nuno Mendes were the best left and right back I've seen in Portugal for.many years.

EDIT: Also that Mousa Dembele comp is actually a pretty good one he was brilliant at Spurs!

EDIT AGAIN: After rewatching Dembele highlights for Spurs this comp is spot on. Nunes is a faster, stronger and better passing version.

Last edited:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Lots of clubs linked but no movement.

It’s total speculation but my guess is that he has a deal in place to go to City if Bernardo Silva leaves.

OmarUnited4ever

The reason I say that is I can’t think of another box to box midfielder that had the same technical skill set/passing ability and speed who drives the ball forward the way Nunes does.
KdB, although might not be considered a Box to Box midfielder, has high technical skills, superb passer, and very quick when driving the ball forward in central areas.

SportingCP96

Supports
KdB, although might not be considered a Box to Box midfielder, has high technical skills, superb passer, and very quick when driving the ball forward in central areas.
Ya but KDB is a far superior creator and crosser of the football as well as a consistent scorer from distance and in and around the box. Im not so sure Nunes can reach that level if I am being honest.

SportingCP96

Supports
Lots of clubs linked but no movement.

It’s total speculation but my guess is that he has a deal in place to go to City if Bernardo Silva leaves.
City is the most consistent rumor here in Portugal as well as the most likely scenario in my view. If Nunes has another great season and really shows out I don't see how City don't move for him given Pep's public admiration in his quality.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
NAME: Matheus Nunes
POSITION: CM
HEIGHT: 6'0
NATIONALITY: Portuguese
TEAM: Sporting Clube De Portugal.

DESCRIPTION: Matheus Nunes is set to be the next big money transfer out of Sporting CP and with endorsements from the likes of Pep Guardiola their is little wonder why. Unsurprisingly Manchester City are one of the clubs rumored to be heavily interested in the 23 year old Sporting star who is also coveted by other of Europes elite clubs. Nunes has had a rather meteoric rise from working at a bakery at 19 years old with no proper football academy and playing for Estoril to becoming one of the best players in one of the biggest clubs in Portugal and known name in the world Sporting Clube De Portugal. Mainly used as a substitute in Sporting's 2020/2021 title winning campaign Nunes became a full time starter for Sporting in 2021/2022 replacing Joao Mario. Matheus Nunes blossomed and formed a fantastic partnership with both Joao Palhinha and Manuel Ugarte. His consilient performances caught the eye of Fernando Santos who rewarded him with his first of multiple appearances for Portugal during the course of the season where he also managed to bag a goal. When Ruben Amorim was hired as Sporting CP head coach for 10M much was talked about the price tag, however Sporting president Frederico Varandas stated "Matheus Nunes will pay Ruben Amorim's price tag and some". Safe to say that prediction that will be coming true.

PLAYSTYLE: Matheus Nunes is a old fashioned high energy Box to Box midfielder who never stops running the full length of the pitch and is a press resistant player who completed 3.19 dribbles per 90 and boasts a 86% pass accuracy. A Interesting stat for Nunes last season is that he completed more dribbles (85) then shots, key passes and interceptions combined (75). Blessed with brilliant technical ability especially in tight spaces and a fantastic passing range it is no wonder why his skill set is so sought after. Nunes plays in the CM role in Sporting's 5-2-3 set up and he is the one responsible for driving the ball forward for Sporting and his high energy means he also helps out defensively to good effect. He has creates and scored various opportunities by driving in late or pushing forward from the midfield. Matheus Nunes is very quick for a midfielder and his deceptive body feints allow him to create space needed to execute a pin point pass to his teammates. Matheus Nunes has also bulked up significantly and gas begun to fill out his tall frame which makes him more imposing on the pitch whilst still being his elegant best with the football. Matheus Nunes always possessed a natural football ability which is what caught the eye of the Sporting scouts but what was lacking was the in game understanding and tactical awareness which has been heavily improved thanks to extensive work by Amorim. His natural ability along with the fact he is still learning the game means that Pep sees a player who he can mold into the exact player he wants in the City midfield.

STRENGTHS: Technical ability, Passing long and short, Stamina, Shot power, Dribbling, Strength

WEAKNESSES: Heading, Shooting, Defensive Consistency and Awareness, End Product (lack of goals or assists)

POTENTIAL TRANSFERS/VALUATION ? Matheus Nunes is being heavily linked to Manchester City this summer as well as being linked to Chelsea/PSG/Unitedn and I believe England will be his next destination. If Sporting manage to hold Matheus Nunes this transfer window it will almost certainly be his last season at Sporting. Matheus Nunes will most likely be sold in the region of 50M-60M which is a fair value for a player of his skillset and characteristics.

According to Pep Guardiola Matheus Nunes is one of the best players in the world, is he right?

https://www.insidesport.com/sport-a...e-of-the-best-players-in-the-world-today/3931

VIDEOS/SCOUTING:

** These four videos display all Matheus Nunes array of talent and characteristic’s.**
Would be a very positive surprise if we got a player like him. Probably not the type of player we need the most, but would still have the potential to be a huge upgrade. Would be so nice to have a press resistant midfielder.

SportingCP96

Supports
Would be a very positive surprise if we got a player like him. Probably not the type of player we need the most, but would still have the potential to be a huge upgrade. Would be so nice to have a press resistant midfielder.
He made the pass that led to the first goal today and he assisted the second.

He was great today.