Mathias Pogba - ‘Mourinho was the problem’

Posh Red

I never said this. Read my first post. He's world class when the conditions are right, hence he is sometimes world class.

Anyway, I'm happy that you really like Pogba and that he's in fine form.

I will now slowly back away from this trainwreck. Bubye :D:wenger::houllier::rolleyes::nervous::lol:
There are probably only two players in world football for which this is not the case, and even that is debatable.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Seems to me there is a post-Jose effect where players overperform for a long period when he leaves. It may be that his mantras of tactical discipline actually leave a permanent benefit on the player.

I once had a bullying boss back when I worked at the BBC whom everyone loathed. Given a few more months she would have decimated the programme she led, as morale and energy levels collapsed. Fortunately the big hitters on the show forced her replacement, and there was a surge in creativity and energy afterwards. Still I felt like I learned a lot from her nevertheless, and she changed my game technically. But I still wouldn't p#ss on her if she was on fire.

That's just my little anecdote, but I feel something recognisable to me happened at Chelsea, and, arguably, at Madrid after their bully left. Perhaps that's what's happening here.

Adebesi

Didnt want to create a new thread for it but this is an interesting post mortem of Mourinho's current managerial capabilities - the first few minutes are about the chances of him turning up at Madrid, after that it talks about what went wrong.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Seems to me there is a post-Jose effect where players overperform for a long period when he leaves. It may be that his mantras of tactical discipline actually leave a permanent benefit on the player.

I once had a bullying boss back when I worked at the BBC whom everyone loathed. Given a few more months she would have decimated the programme she led, as morale and energy levels collapsed. Fortunately the big hitters on the show forced her replacement, and there was a surge in creativity and energy afterwards. Still I felt like I learned a lot from her nevertheless, and she changed my game technically. But I still wouldn't p#ss on her if she was on fire.

That's just my little anecdote, but I feel something recognisable to me happened at Chelsea, and, arguably, at Madrid after their bully left. Perhaps that's what's happening here.
So we're going to win the next three Champions Leagues? Great.

Foxbatt

When we do not keep possession of course it becomes very hard for the forwards to go forward. Jose does not like possession. He said the less you have the ball the less mistakes you make. But that is not correct. You can make a lot of mistakes without the ball. On the other hand if you have the ball and if you keep possession then the opposition cannot do anything because they do not have the ball.
Now the forwards have less running to do because they know that we are not going to kick the ball up for the sake of kicking it forward. Jose was the problem from the start. When his transfers failed he failed and he wanted to get out. With Jose it has always been Jose and not any club he works for.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Today players are the bosses; they could get Gandhi sacked.

SlimDizzle075

Indeed. I suppose the big question now is would we rather hear snarky shit from Pogba's camp from his brother or his agent?
I am with you. Its time for them all to shut up and play ball. let your play speak on your behalf. When a player gives 100% for our badge, World Class or not United's fan base is the type that recognizes it and reciprocates with love. Time to leave it behind and act classy. play ball and move forward

MaCo

Supports
AFC Ajax, FC Barcelona
I'm of the opinion Pogba was in the right in his dispute with Jose, but is this really necessary when Jose has moved on and hasn't publicly commented on his relationship with Pogba?

I'm sure Pogba can tell his brother to clam up a bit and not rake up past issues.
Mourinho has never shown class and will never back down a fight. So if it was up to Jose he would respond. I think he is contract bound.

I mean he did not shut up when he was still our manager. He is no saint, no saint at all! if you think he shows class now it means he would learn. I don't think he is capable of that, his ego is in the way.

Reactions: SteveJ

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Then why have the likes of Pep, Klopp and Poch to name a few not been sacked yet or Simeone... and Jose has at three major clubs (one of them twice). They all had pretty lengthy stints at their respective clubs and walked away of their own accord. I think this concept of evil modern day players is a load of horseshit.. it’s only clubs like Chelsea and Madrid with trigger happy owners that have normalised quick sackings but generally speaking mass scale player revolts don’t happen to most good managers unless it is Jose.

GM K

:lol::lol:

Hilarious but there could be something here, really. :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba didn't sent his brother. Mathias was in a show named Le Vestiaire where they invite footballers and discuss about things that happens in and around the locker room. Petit asked Mathias about his brother's relationship with Pogba and if it was affecting his game, he extended it to other players like Sanchez too.
This post will be missed/ignored and people will draw whatever conclusion they want to.

Rolaholic

Then why have the likes of Pep, Klopp and Poch to name a few not been sacked yet or Simeone... and Jose has at three major clubs (one of them twice). They all had pretty lengthy stints at their respective clubs and walked away of their own accord. I think this concept of evil modern day players is a load of horseshit.. it’s only clubs like Chelsea and Madrid with trigger happy owners that have normalised quick sackings but generally speaking mass scale player revolts don’t happen to most good managers unless it is Jose.
Well said,the whole notion of 'player power ruining the game' is so overstated and lazy.

Man management has always been a hugely important aspect in management in the world of football as well as the real world and to dismiss it's importance and put it down to players now being bosses is dense.

As you said,there's plenty of top managers who never lose the dressing room and who's authority is always respected.

Stactix

I don't really think Playerpower has changed that much, it's short term revisionism. Just like 'youngsters today have it so easy or are so terrible'

It's very easy to chant 'Player power' when an example like Mourinho pops up and it's fresh in your mind but there could be a dozen examples from 1980 that no one remembers..

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
anyone using the phrase "locker room" can get fecked for all I care! Have to say, I've been impressed by Jose remaining silent. at least someone has some class

Canagel

Plenty of managers have lasted in their jobs without any drama and continue to do their work . If Mourinho can't last more than 3 years before burning all the bridges that's his problem .

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
You are missing the point completely. We are not talking about likeability of a manager or if players enjoy his style; we are talking about when it comes to a conflict between a player and a manager, the big name player will get his way.

I have no doubt that a team that executes Mourinho's vision can win big trophies; why he couldn't get the players to do it is a whole different subject. But in a different era Pogba would have been sold and the manager would find a player who will listen to him.

And Jose isn't the only one. Neymar did what he wanted at PSG and Emeri couldn't even bench him.

Quite frankly, it's amazing how fickle the fans are and how short memory they have. A few goals from Pogba and it's all great. Can anybody tell me with a straight face that the performance against Southampton wasn't an intentional and blatant sabotage of not only the manager, but the entire team? He is a virus; a very skilled one and currently dormant, but a virus nonetheless.

Jib

You are missing the point completely. We are not talking about likeability of a manager or if players enjoy his style; we are talking about when it comes to a conflict between a player and a manager, the big name player will get his way.

I have no doubt that a team that executes Mourinho's vision can win big trophies; why he couldn't get the players to do it is a whole different subject. But in a different era Pogba would have been sold and the manager would find a player who will listen to him.

And Jose isn't the only one. Neymar did what he wanted at PSG and Emeri couldn't even bench him.
if the problem was only between Pogba and Mourinho.
But that wasn't the case.

sugar_kane

Jose bigging himself up for keeping his mouth shut when he’s being paid to do so is a perfect example of what a disingenuous prick he is and why we’re so much better off without him.

Give it a year and he’ll be piping up just like Van Gaal did.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Yep. He's managed to clash with several players creating toxic feeling in and around the club. Pogba can play with discipline (France national team, Juventus) but Mourinho himself didn't know what he wants from him playing Pogba in all midfield position without permanent role.

And overall Mourinho was negative as feck, too stubborn to change and adapt, shame really because he used to be great manager despite the antics.

cheeky_backheel

His words ring very true,Jose has always clashed with his stars players as his gargantuan ego can't ever take not being the sun in which a club revolves around

Not to go all armchair psychologist but I can't help but feel like the resentment towards skilled players comes from him never reaching any high level as a player.

You don't really ever consistently see this sort of clash of ego's/dick measuring contests with former pro players turned managers and their players
Arrant nonsense. Pep has fallen out with the likes of Zlatan , Eto, Toure etc, Zidane couldnt stand James, Gattuso has turned Montolivo into a Pariah, and many more examples can be listed

Like any other human relationship, not every player and manager pairing get along - Mourinho v Pogba is not the first and wont be the last. Doesnt make one a saint nor the other the devil.

You guys need to stop the psych nonsense - its irritating.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Quite frankly, it's amazing how fickle the fans are and how short memory they have. A few goals from Pogba and it's all great. Can anybody tell me with a straight face that the performance against Southampton wasn't an intentional and blatant sabotage of not only the manager, but the entire team? He is a virus; a very skilled one and currently dormant, but a virus nonetheless.
That’s just a nice way of reinforcing that Jose was a massive bellend.

Keefy18

I’m not sure if I’d like to manage a player who only expects to hear “go play”, never mind how talented he is.
I think the point he is trying to make is Pogba is easy to manage, simply tell him to play as he likes and he'll do the job for you.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Pogba was the ringleader. He was given several chances to bury the hatchet, but he didn't do it, and instead went out of his way to continue the feud. I'm not calling Jose a saint by any stretch of imagination, but like someone said above - he's not the devil either and Pogba has more than a fair share of blame here. The only reason why everyone is in a hurry to throw all the blame on Jose is because Pogba is performing well at the moment.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pogba was the ringleader. He was given several chances to bury the hatchet, but he didn't do it, and instead went out of his way to continue the feud. I'm not calling Jose a saint by any stretch of imagination, but like someone said above - he's not the devil either and Pogba has more than a fair share of blame here. The only reason why everyone is in a hurry to throw all the blame on Jose is because Pogba is performing well at the moment.
Well that’s revisionist to say the least.

Here’s another more accurate take. Everyone’s in a hurry to blame Jose is because we were shit, and we’ve been shit for 2 years. Pogba or no Pogba Jose took this club to a point where we’d fallen outside the top 5 and become fecking boring.

Stactix

Well, seeing as Mourinho fell out with Pogba before the comebacks.. then Pogba/Martial carried the team in the comeback vs Newcastle/Bournemonth..

this season started off brilliantly in preseason, when Pogba was a tad busy .. didn't it? Mourinho was a right happy chappy while Pogba was busy winning the world cup..

You mention the sabotage against Southampton but what about Mourinhos sabotage vs West Ham? McTominay in defence, Herrara.
Practically the entire team were playing like shite, the toxicity around the club was suffocating, Mourinhos interviews were disgusting.

Oles won all his games and yet has still taken more responsibility for issues than Mourinho did in 2.5 years.\

And Mourinho certainly pushed the feud that's for sure, he wasn't the innocent bystander in this.

Foxbatt

If the Manager was winning then the player would be shown the door. If the Manager was not winning and terrible on the pitch and having issues with many players then he will be the one to go. The same like Pep. Zlatan got sold. Pep stayed because he was winning.
But the Jose has a reputation of getting on with no one.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Well, seeing as Mourinho fell out with Pogba before the comebacks.. then Pogba/Martial carried the team in the comeback vs Newcastle/Bournemonth..

this season started off brilliantly in preseason, when Pogba was a tad busy .. didn't it? Mourinho was a right happy chappy while Pogba was busy winning the world cup..

You mention the sabotage against Southampton but what about Mourinhos sabotage vs West Ham? McTominay in defence, Herrara.
Practically the entire team were playing like shite, the toxicity around the club was suffocating, Mourinhos interviews were disgusting.

Oles won all his games and yet has still taken more responsibility for issues than Mourinho did in 2.5 years.\

And Mourinho certainly pushed the feud that's for sure, he wasn't the innocent bystander in this.
This was the clearest example of sabotage from anybody at the club that one can point to. I don't want to hear about Pogba downing tools when Mourinho put out these insane line ups with no chance of winning. This was a clear attempt to send a message to the board over trying to get a result.

glorious

His words ring very true,Jose has always clashed with his stars players as his gargantuan ego can't ever take not being the sun in which a club revolves around

Not to go all armchair psychologist but I can't help but feel like the resentment towards skilled players comes from him never reaching any high level as a player.

You don't really ever consistently see this sort of clash of ego's/dick measuring contests with former pro players turned managers and their players
He didn't clash with any of his Inter players except Balotelli who is a bigger bellend than him.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Well that’s revisionist to say the least.

Here’s another more accurate take. Everyone’s in a hurry to blame Jose is because we were shit, and we’ve been shit for 2 years. Pogba or no Pogba Jose took this club to a point where we’d fallen outside the top 5 and become fecking boring.
It doesn't get more revisionist than what you said. You've been shit since SAF retired. Jose put you back in the Champions League second round two years in a row, after winning Europa in the first season; all of it after inheriting an utter mess. In his "failure" he cleared dead wood, brought top talent, and won you trophies (something that Klopp and Pochettino have not done to this day).