Matic to leave the club at the end of the season

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Great player but was in decline almost as soon as we bought him. It's a pity we didn't get him earlier.

Wishing him all the best.
Yeah I think we got his best years. Still though, pretty good servant for United over the years. Class professional.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yeah I think we got his best years. Still though, pretty good servant for United over the years. Class professional.
He's a classy midfielder, I love his feints and dribbles, can be so effective. Brill footballer, a shame United wasted him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Really like him as a player. Don't think we'll get much or any of a fee - but wonder who he'll go to. Guessing an Italian club.

Belisarius

He'll be missed. Even in his current role of coming off the bench for the last quarter of the game.

Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Real Name

Great servant to our club and overall had a solid career at United I thought. Wish him best of luck. At this rate we'll need about 3 new midfielders for next season.

Real Name

Brilliant news

Now we only have Fred McT and Donny for Midfield.

Two starting midfielders + Garner in are a must.

Ideally sell Donny too imo.

Need to be phasing out McTominay and Fred in that they can't be our main starters.

Brilliant that he made it public too as it forces th club to let him go. Hopefully our other players do the same.

United would be stupid enough to renew if the players wanted to stay
We're at bare bones in midfield and ideally we should sell Donny?

Also there's Mejbri.

Zen86

He’s been a good player and arguably the best CM we’ve had on the ball for some time, but him leaving is the best outcome for all parties. He would still be brilliant in a more dominant United team, but he hasn’t had the legs for the kind of firefighting and chasing he needs to do here.

croadyman

He’s been a good player and arguably the best CM we’ve had on the ball for some time, but him leaving is the best outcome for all parties. He would still be brilliant in a more dominant United team, but he hasn’t had the legs for the kind of firefighting and chasing he needs to do here.
Yeah need to replace him & Pogba

We need an rvn

Just read that he might be off to Juve on £90k p/w with a £10m signing on bones.

Firstly, I want him out so am not at all annoyed about him leaving.

But if you look at this from a business perspective, does it make sense?

Whilst I completely understand letting him leave one year before his contract expires saves us £6m in salary, why are United not selling him for a small fee (say £5m, and we'd still save £6m in salary as well)) rather than letting someone rip up their contract and another club willing to hand them a £10m signing bonus (which to me indicates they were willing to spend £10m on him)?

For me, this is just another tick on the box of a club not run properly as I haven't heard this happening at other clubs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just read that he might be off to Juve on £90k p/w with a £10m signing on bones.

Whilst I completely understand letting him leave one year before his contract expires saves us £6m in salary, why are United not selling him for a small fee (say £5m, and we'd still save £6m in salary as well)) rather than letting someone rip up their contract and another club willing to hand them a £10m signing bonus (which to me indicates they were willing to spend £10m on him)?

For me, this is just another tick on the box of a club not run properly as I haven't heard this happening at other clubs.
He didn't rip up his contract, the supplemental year was a player/club option. His contract ends this summer.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Firstly, the link of him to Juve is from the Daily Star. Secondly, can you imagine the reaction if we’d extended his contract? :lol:

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Firstly, the link of him to Juve is from the Daily Star. Secondly, can you imagine the reaction if we’d extended his contract? :lol:
I think the point is that United, as a business, is terrible at trading assets.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He’s still one of our best players, provided his minutes are managed properly, which is a sad indictment of the standard of the squad right now

led_scholes

I wouldnt be against for a year. We need a starting DM. Now that Matic leaves, we have no one as a backup. McT is an awful DM. Matic would be fine against Europa League or conference teams and as a sub every now and then. Even yesterday when he was subbed off, we completely lost the midfield.

sewey89

I think the point is that United, as a business, is terrible at trading assets.
Historically, under Woodward, yes. We can only hope it improves under the new structure. I don’t think letting Matic go is a continuation of that

sewey89

I wouldnt be against for a year. We need a starting DM. Now that Matic leaves, we have no one as a backup. McT is an awful DM. Matic would be fine against Europa League or conference teams and as a sub every now and then. Even yesterday when he was subbed off, we completely lost the midfield.
Looking at our squad how it is now, I’d agree, but I think it’s obvious that we’ll bring in 1-2 defensive midfielders in the summer. You might’ve been fine with it and on recent form, many might’ve been, but you can guarantee that come October when we’ve not given him any minutes, or he’s going through a bad run of form, you’d have people citing a contract extension with a sign that nothings changed at United, etc.

roseguy64

From all indications, it was that Matic could terminate his contract this summer and the final year/next season was optional. So any complaints about not selling him instead of letting him go on a free seem superfluous.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

You think Juve would actually offer us a transfer fee?

:lol: What a ludicrous notion.

We need an rvn

You think Juve would actually offer us a transfer fee?

:lol: What a ludicrous notion.
Perhaps I was dreaming, but I like that idea more than use doing the usual and offering to pay half their wages to take us off our hands.

But that's all beside the point as his extra year was optional, I thought the extra year was a given.

Vernon Philander

Sad to see him go. A thorough professional and undervalued during his time here. He made more forward incisive passes from the middle than the other midfielders put together.

honirelandboy

Matic and Mata should never of been signed for Manchester United but I wish them well, good professionals. There's a reason Chelsea left them go.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Can he still do a job in the Serie A or is he done for good ??

ExoduS

Not sure what's Mourinho's obsession with Matic. Yeah, Matic is all right when used correctly, but he is old and slow. I love the guy as he is such an awesome human being. Once he picked up a tab for a child's surgery. Surgery was 70k euros I think. No questions asked and no credit asked either. Many people don't even know about it. Great human, wish him the best.

Skills

Snitch
Wasn't he one of the players who downed tools under Mourinho?

He was diabolical throughout 2018. The worst player at the club not named Sanchez.

Dr Foo

He will do well in a slower league as he is still class on the ball. For half a season here, we saw the prime Matic that we needed, followed by bits here and there (not helped by the lack of any other proper midfield support).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Can he still do a job in the Serie A or is he done for good ??
As long as he doesn't get over-played he'll probably be good for them. The issue is that he's joining a manager who has made that mistake in the past by playing him for 90 minutes basically every single match, and if he does that again I expect Matic will begin to struggle. He will almost certainly be very good for the first few months either way.

Chief123

This is the season where we’ll miss and remember Matic. Similar to Carrick, you don’t realise how good they were until they are gone. The only midfielder in our whole squad last season who could drive forward with the ball as well as play the ball forward between the lines.