Matic to leave the club at the end of the season

Djemba-Djemba

Looked past it after about 8 weeks here.

So of course he ended up staying here for 5 years. He never caused any issues or embarrassment with his personal life and I don't dislike him or anything but yeah, not a good signing.

Andersonson

The best CM we got, even though his legs are gone. Donny, Pogba and Fred should study his positiniong and learn how to play in that role. Top pro, will be missed.

The squad will get even more dislikeable with him gone

Acole9

Outstanding
Probably the right decision but doesn't he still have a year left on his contract?

Remember the geese

I think this was a decided quite a while ago to be honest. I remember a couple of months ago, Ralf stated (I thought incorrectly at the time) that Matic's contract was due to expire this year. Now we have discovered that there was an option where the player or the club could forgo that final year (2023).

F-Red

The right time to go, decent enough squad player during his time here but ultimately the right call for both player and club.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Where do we think he’s going then? I’d say probably Italy… will suits his game a lot more, a lot slower tempo. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him join mourinho at Roma.

GBBQ

A likeable pro but his time here coincides with the messiest time for modern United and he never really excelled. Some good matches and showed his class from time to time but the time is right.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Was a great player for Chelsea and was instrumental to their last two PL titles. I was actually surprised they sold him.

roseguy64

An honourable decision and certainly something to be respected. He knew he couldn’t keep up with the demands and rigours of playing for United and therefore called it a day. Other footballers sitting on their arses running down their contracts taking paycheck after paycheck when they know they aren’t good enough should take note.
Which players are those?

WPMUFC

one down......many more to go.

Thanks for at least trying when you were on the pitch..

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Probably a few years too late but that's not his fault.

Thank you for the service and especially the start of the OGS interim period and the few post-corona matches where we had a good midfield for a few games.

Lost bear

Probably a few years too late but that's not his fault.

Thank you for the service and especially the start of the OGS interim period and the few post-corona matches where we had a good midfield for a few games.
Yes, such a shame we never got him when he was really at his peak. Still he’s been an excellent player and one who served the club with exemplary professionalism. All the best Mr Matic.

Luke1995

He reminded me of Carrick at times. Such good passing and positioning.

Wishing him all the best.

Luke1995

Where do we think he’s going then? I’d say probably Italy… will suits his game a lot more, a lot slower tempo. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him join mourinho at Roma.
I thought the same thing. Roma would be a good fit for him. Inter Milan have a history of signing some of our players (Young, Lukaku, Sanchez) so maybe there aswell.

But truthfully, I think he'll go to the MLS. Based on nothing but the fact that in the last few years we've seen the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, A.Cole, Kaka, Bastian, Rooney and Zlatan go there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
One of those "back the manager" signings which fecked us long term.

The club had spent years scouting Fabinho, but Mourinho wanted his own man who was obsolete after 6 months
This.

'Back the manager' was the cry and the manager lumped us with a player that was slow and immobile, which was very bad at a time when the best teams were transitioning to a high octane, high tempo play-style.

But I wish him luck and Italy will probably be a good league for him.

SAFMUTD

He arrived on 2017. I thought he was here for longer, great passer but his legs where gone years ago.

We should had sold him around 2019.

SATA

Good man, good player. Signed my shirt when United was here for pre season three years ago. Thanks for the memories and i wish him all the best in the next stage of his career

I love the Nemanja song too

Knightmare7

A good man. Played hard, acted with honor, and represented the crest well. Couldn’t have asked for more. Sad to see him go but it’s the best choice for both sides. Wish him well. He’ll always be a Red Devil

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Isn't it a bit weird that he announces it on Instagram when he is still under contract until 2023? Will his contract be terminated?
His intention to leave was well known to the club although not made public until yesterday. He sold his house last year readying to leave and is now living in rented accommodation. Very humble guy and has a very accommodating family.

ITK

Watch him play every single minute of the remaining fixtures. Because logic.

I've always liked Matic and the potential we had with the Pogba - Matic - Herrera trio was on paper rock solid. Sadly never really became a thing.

Reactions: Sultan

DJ_21

I thought the same thing. Roma would be a good fit for him. Inter Milan have a history of signing some of our players (Young, Lukaku, Sanchez) so maybe there aswell.

But truthfully, I think he'll go to the MLS. Based on nothing but the fact that in the last few years we've seen the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, A.Cole, Kaka, Bastian, Rooney and Zlatan go there.
That’s a good shout actually, mls is a good league for players who’ve got a few years left and ready to retire.

DJ_21

Didn't he get the Europa?
He signed just after we’d won it, a shame really, he deserved to add more trophies to his name. Unfortunately they all came from Chelsea, possibly benfica aswell.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Good.

Now for Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Lingard, Martial, Cavani and Maguire.

Elcabron

Apparently both parties have an option to forgo the last year, and he has decided to stop now.
Good to know, I was wondering. Thanks.

Agree with the sentiment of this thread, great pro and one of our better servants of recent times. Best of luck in the future Nemanja.

padzilla

Hipster
Another high profile player we were mugged into signing.
Not his fault and he seems like a good lad.
At least he has a bit of self respect - The likes of Shaw and Pogba will be signing new contracts and picking up huge wages despite being absolute garbage probably for the next half a decade.

led_scholes

At his best he was a very solid player and a really good first season for us. However, he did decline rapidly. Since he turned 30, he can only play once per 2 weeks. And he is not that old.

Ranchero

I think his decline started shortly after he joined Manchester United. In one of his earlier games he was very good against Real Madrid in the supercup match. Dominated that midfield if memory serves me well. It looked we sorted out the midfield. During that season he lost the ability to run...

Matic leaving, Pogba likely leaving, Lingard likely leaving, Mata surely wont get a new deal... right? That must mean we will sign some midfielders?
That was always the case even with Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Matic leaving. But we have been rudderless with an interim manager and no coherent recruitment plan. Our huge hole in midfield will become a chasm unless anyone can find a magic wand.

buckooo1978

We bought him, Liverpool bought Fabinho

just another poor signing

good luck to him though