Matic to leave the club at the end of the season

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Isn't it a bit weird that he announces it on Instagram when he is still under contract until 2023? Will his contract be terminated?
That's bonkers we were handing him a multiple year deal in the first place!
It does explain why it's his decision though, and not an absolutely obvious club decision to release him.

Drainy

Solid player for us, very good on his day.

Will find a club who plays a style that suits him and have a couple more years at a good level, I think.

sparx99

I don’t know if I’ll ever understand why we didn’t see Matic, Herrera and Pogba as a trio in that first year they were all together. It still sounds like it would’ve been really well balanced. Instead we persisted with Matic and Pogba and Herrera was sidelined after a great year the season before. Shame.

Matic is a top pro though and one of the few I know has given everything for the past 5 years.

BarstoolProphet

I remember after his first PL match against WH when we thought £40m was a steal and mocked Chelsea for selling him to us. Didn't quite work out in the end, but you could easily see that he was a class player - just didn't have the legs to keep up. Like against Everton last match.

United Hobbit

He's well down the list of players I want gone, hopefully it's him realising he needs a slower pace

Could have provided a back up role, and is one of the few I wouldn't question the professionalism of.

Hope a whole host of the wasters who need to leave go!

siw2007

That’s fair enough. Big thanks for his service over the last 4 years, he’s been a great professional and a good servant to the club. He had a brilliant first year, and then was a bit more hit and miss thereafter, probs got him at the wrong end of his career which contributed to that but I do wish him the best of luck in the future.

Wing Attack Plan R

My favourite Matic moment is that goal against Palace. I remember watching the game live and when the ball bounced up after his first touch, I thought "oh don't shoot from there!".

Two seconds later it was "YEEES! WHAT A FECKING GOAL!!!" :lol:

Thank you for this reminder.
Good luck to you, Mr. Matic. Wish we could have had you 3 or 4 years earlier.

laughtersassassin

Brilliant news

Now we only have Fred McT and Donny for Midfield.

Two starting midfielders + Garner in are a must.

Ideally sell Donny too imo.

Need to be phasing out McTominay and Fred in that they can't be our main starters.

Brilliant that he made it public too as it forces th club to let him go. Hopefully our other players do the same.

United would be stupid enough to renew if the players wanted to stay

edcunited1878

Isn't it a bit weird that he announces it on Instagram when he is still under contract until 2023? Will his contract be terminated?
He's gone through the proper internal channels before making it public. And it seems like a mutual decision to not honor the 22/23 season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good for both us and him. This will hopefully mean at least two CMs for us this summer.

On Matic, he started out really well but it's been disappointing to see how much he physically dropped off in his early 30s. Often you could see that he's such a classy footballer but his reaction time, ability to cover ground etc declined so drastically. He's a really good pro. Can never point a finger at him not putting in the hard yards.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His decline started shortly after he joined, but he's still been a solid player for us. Shame he doesn't quite have the legs, because his technique is immense.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Love Nemanja Matic.

He has been a quality person to have, both on and off the pitch. Wish him nothing but the very best.

mancsarered

Brilliant first season. Came a bit late but did a job for us. Would take 11 of him over the other prats we have on the wage bill.

laughtersassassin

This better forces the club into two new starting midfiel signings.

Should be the two new lads as planned started with McTominay Fred and Garner to fight them for a place.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In his peak years he was a brilliant DM and though he was past his best when he arrived here we still saw bits of that. Certainly enough to remind us of what we were missing out on by not having a DM who could perform to that level regularly. Seems to be a pro too.

Probably is time for him to move on though and it's good that we go into the summer knowing that will happen and can plan for it.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Brilliant news

Now we only have Fred McT and Donny for Midfield.

Two starting midfielders + Garner in are a must.

Ideally sell Donny too imo.

Need to be phasing out McTominay and Fred in that they can't be our main starters.

Brilliant that he made it public too as it forces th club to let him go. Hopefully our other players do the same.

United would be stupid enough to renew if the players wanted to stay
Ideally sell Donny too? The manager under who he made his name is coming here, he’s gonna stick around I think.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You have to be realistic as well . I’ve named 5 and I can see Henderson leaving and possibly Bailly or Jones . I’d be surprised to see any more than that
Yep. Unless someone comes in with a big enough bid for some random player we're not expecting like Lindelof I'd have thought that'd be about it.

Okey

How does it work? Do they cancel the last year of his contract and he leaves on a free? I assume we can't be expecting a fee with this sort of announcement.

Robindinho

I don’t know if I’ll ever understand why we didn’t see Matic, Herrera and Pogba as a trio in that first year they were all together. It still sounds like it would’ve been really well balanced. Instead we persisted with Matic and Pogba and Herrera was sidelined after a great year the season before. Shame.

Matic is a top pro though and one of the few I know has given everything for the past 5 years.
The answer is 2 words; Mourinho, Fellaini.

Wasn't it the midfield 3 under Ole as caretaker? When we won all of his first 8 games... Easily our best/most balanced midfield wasted.

Okey

Another very good player we got at the wrong time in his career. One of several. Still gave solid service though. Wishing him well for the future...

luke511

He was absolutely quality the first 6 months, and was a good to great player for the following 18. He's been here at least 2 seasons too long though, the contract renewal was a stupid decision.

flappyjay

Looks like a few big contracts off the wage bill this summer if we play our cards right we can come out stronger than we have ever been post Sir Alex.

Idxomer

He had his moments, but he could be as lazy as any other player in the squad. He only really played consistently well in the last 3 years when he wanted a new contract.

A guess here but he might also be the first player Ten Hag has gotten rid of and they gave him the chance to leave in his own terms.

Castia

It’s going to be a crazy summer we have so many players leaving

hobbers

Should have done this before signing that last jackpot contract extension but oh well. Can hardly expect players to turn down free money.

slored1

Great career overall, but for us he was great in flashes really. 2017/18 for like two months at the start, 2018/19 when that ridiculous winning streak under Ole happens and 2019/20 after Bruno joined. The rest of his time was meh. Still a good guy and wish him all the best.

Jam

All the best to him. Model professional, came in and did what was asked with a few very good performances when wearing the shirt.

We got him too late and his best years were with Chelsea, but he certainly did a job for us and always came across well.

Probably already agreed a mutual termination.

Cloud7

Arguably the best signing Jose made. Wish we got him a few years earlier than we did.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Agreed. On paper those three together was easily the most balanced midfield we've had in the past decade (in fact I would say it's the only balanced midfield), and the only real run together that they had (when Ole first took over) it performed fantastically. Overall they started 20 matches together, and although they drew and lost the first 2 games, in the following 18 matches they won 17 and drew 1.

Matic was very inconsistent in his time with us, and even in his best season (his first) he was only good for the first half. But when he did play well he showed exactly what we've been missing.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Came to us in the twilight of his career. Remember his first game in pre season and the fans were licking their lips. No concern, right decision for all parties, he can still play at a high level but maybe not Prem level. An honest footballer, and let's be fair one of our our only midfielders who can break the lines with his passing this season.

Wishing you all the best Nemanja