Matic's Yellow Card - for his celebration.

Feedingseagulls

Having just enjoyed the 'All the Angles' Utd vid of Matic's goal, it looks like Jesse may be responsible for Matic getting his card for being so close to the fans. Matic and Smalling pause a little way away from the barrier and look like they are coming to a stop when Jesse gives Matic a big shove in the back that propels him down to the bottom of the slope right up against the barrier.

Annoying outcome, if perhaps understandable that a youngster did not think it through at a time of great emotion.

Might need to point out that I don't intend this to be a 'bash Lingard' post, more a case of pointing out that Nemanja was rather an innocent victim of circumstance.

redshaw

Is 25 years of age a youngster?

In 4 years he'll be a pensioner on caf.

CA1

Not arsed about that at all to be honest.

This teams need a bit more connection with the fans to be honest. And vice versa. We've needed a comeback/last minute goal. If you can't celebrate with the fans after scoring that goal in injury time to put your side 3-2 up after 2-0 down, you're not enjoying your football.

Feedingseagulls

Jesus things had stooped to a new low when you are analyzing the position of the players in relation to the fans during a dramatic goal celebration.

WHO CARES
The ref. Who gives cards based on aspects of the celebration, some of which are loosely held to be based on potential safety. So going into the crowd, right up to the crowd, overly antagonising opposition fans, etc are given bookings if the ref deems it worthy.

We may not like that this area falls foul of football's rule makers, but unfortunately it is the case.

I personally think that if Matic had ended up positioned where he intended, he would not have received a card. Ending up right against the barrier though 'gave the referee a decision to make' - as they say about going to ground whilst tackling in the penalty area. Looking at the footage it isn't really his fault that he ends up in this position, so it just seems doubly unjust.

I also find it potentially revealing of Matic's intelligence and maturity that, even in the excitement and wish to share his joy with fans, he was not intending to break the guidelines wrt celebration.

Others are obviously uninterested in these things, which is their right. :angel:

eat_grass

Thanks for pointing out he got a yellow card. I hadn't noticed, and assumed since there was a barrier he couldn't be considered to have jumped into the stands.

Also of note: number 18 (McArthur) of Crystal Palace is an alien or cyborg. Doesn't he know real human beings turn sideways and do everything in their power to avoid getting hit by the ball -- even if it means letting Pogba get a shot on target? He must not have well-developed p*ssy instincts. ;)

el3mel

This actually the first time I knew he got a yellow card. That's how much I care. I was busy jumping like a madman.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Oyibo

This actually the first time I knew he got a yellow card. That's how much I care. I was busy jumping like a madman.
I was jumping up and down, hugging the only other United fan in a North Yorkshire Bar. 2 forty-somethings going apeshit, what a sight it must have been !:lol:

el3mel

I was jumping up and down, hugging the only other United fan in a North Yorkshire Bar. 2 forty-somethings going apeshit, what a sight it must have been !:lol:
Football, bloody hell. :lol:

Feedingseagulls

Could you not have just PM’d him then instead of making a new thread?
Now I'm confused. Who would have PMed whom? and at what point? This *one* thread must necessarily have existed before the exchange you quote took place - and no more threads seem to have been created regarding it.

Anyway - brilliant goal, great comeback, probably a needed result. Annoying punishment.

Darkhorsez

Thanks for pointing out he got a yellow card. I hadn't noticed, and assumed since there was a barrier he couldn't be considered to have jumped into the stands.

Also of note: number 18 (McArthur) of Crystal Palace is an alien or cyborg. Doesn't he know real human beings turn sideways and do everything in their power to avoid getting hit by the ball -- even if it means letting Pogba get a shot on target? He must not have well-developed p*ssy instincts. ;)

Thanks for posting the video. Enjoyed it. Love that sound of the ball hitting the net and inside frame!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Now I'm confused. Who would have PMed whom? and at what point? This *one* thread must necessarily have existed before the exchange you quote took place - and no more threads seem to have been created regarding it.

Anyway - brilliant goal, great comeback, probably a needed result. Annoying punishment.
You seem to be taking a beating here for making a reasonable observation, one that hadn't been brought to my attention until I read this thread, so thank you.

Also I got a good excuse to watch that goal from all angles :drool: so thanks again.

Nick7

Number 4 though.

Marcky411

Why is this even an issue?
Haven't got a clue :rolleyes: I could expect it to be an issue if he didn't get yellow. Then we would have to listen to all the fans from other clubs saying the ref's give Utd preference and that is why we win :lol:

eat_grass

Thanks for posting the video. Enjoyed it. Love that sound of the ball hitting the net and inside frame!
Yeah, that sound is freaking awesome. :) Love the ripple of the net, too.

Number 4 though.
Yeah, that loss is on number 4, IMO. Especially after number 18 manned up and took one for the team not even 2 seconds earlier.

Last edited: