Matthew Judge - Manchester United contract negotiator

Nick.

Howson claims it isn't Meunier. Someone on the Caf suggested that it is Hakimi from Dortmund but I'm not sure if that makes sense.
Yes I saw that too but I think he's backtracking because he gave too much away. The player is a right-back, plays for a giant club and is a fan of Man Utd. Meunier ticks all those boxes and I haven't seen any links between us and Hakimi.

Dolf

Did anybody see what Steven Howson said about Matt Judge on one of his FullTimeDevils podcasts? Apparently he met with Meunier and his agent in an office in Mayfair; didn't recognise him, asked his name and his number of appearences. A few hours before he had been to see Spurs stadium and was "wooed" by Mauricio Pochettino (likely because he will replace Trippier). The agent stopped Matt Judge there and ended the meeting.

If this is true this guy should resign. That is appalling.

In fact here's the video, he talks about it in the first 5 minutes:

How would that go? Someone calls Judge to set up a meeting and he doesn't even do some research on who he is meeting? He just casually lets them into his office and says "okay who are you and what do you want?". I doubt any of that is true.

Shinjch

Sounds like Howson lost the run of himself in his story telling to me. Wouldn't believe it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
How would that go? Someone calls Judge to set up a meeting and he doesn't even do some research on who he is meeting? He just casually lets them into his office and says "okay who are you and what do you want?". I doubt any of that is true.
Yeah, said this in another thread. Seems like confirmation bias when people believe this. There is literally no way someone goes to meet a players agent without knowing who the feck they are.

Rake

This Meunier story can't be true... I`ve met high level executives that are absolute morons but this is criminal, if true.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, said this in another thread. Seems like confirmation bias when people believe this. There is literally no way someone goes to meet a players agent without knowing who the feck they are.
The rate our transfers are going I don't think he is meeting anybody.:p

Ashes1396

Did anybody see what Steven Howson said about Matt Judge on one of his FullTimeDevils podcasts? Apparently he met with Meunier and his agent in an office in Mayfair; didn't recognise him, asked his name and his number of appearences. A few hours before he had been to see Spurs stadium and was "wooed" by Mauricio Pochettino (likely because he will replace Trippier). The agent stopped Matt Judge there and ended the meeting.

If this is true this guy should resign. That is appalling.

In fact here's the video, he talks about it in the first 5 minutes:
I think it's incredibly unfair that we will only ever hear one side of that story. I'd love to have been a fly on that wall.

ZeMario

Ok - let me put it this way. Matt Judge may not be the perfect guy for the job (I don't know) - but that he would show up to a meeting like so completely unprepared ? I doubt it. I have read a bit about his background and he may be all he is accused of - corporate, commercial and all that - but after 13 years as an investment banker - I doubt he will show up to meetings unprepared
I don’t think he was unprepared, if true, I think it’s just a really really bad negotiation tactic from a absolute clueless and incompetent Matt Judge. No wonder Herrera got pissed when negotiating with this ghoul.

GBBQ

That Howson story is pure fantasy; no way Judge has no clue about who is coming to his office to meet him. And I really doubt any agent worth their salt would stop negotiations even if this happened. If nothing else you'd use United's interest to leverage the best deal out of Spurs.

DCP

What an absolute load of dogs this Howson guy is.

You don't become a Head of anything in a large corporate business by being oblivious to the world.

Wheato

This Meunier story can't be true... I`ve met high level executives that are absolute morons but this is criminal, if true.
I can absolutely believe it to be true. These are not football men, they are investment bankers. Lording it around Mayfair on their 3 hour long lunches. It is entirely plausible that his agent set up a meeting, and Meunier, not being one of our targets was the victim of their ignorance. We have been hearing a lot about these half-arsed approaches. Particularly, these ridiculous low ball offers we have been hearing about.

Negotiations seem to go like this.

"We are interested in XXXXX"

"Okay, the asking price is £60 million."

"Right, so we'll pay £25 million now and another £5 million every time he lifts the CL trophy."

"Erm...no. The price is £60 million. We want the money upfront, no silly deals or add ons."

"Alright, alright. How about £30 million now, and another £10 million when there's a solar eclipse? Or haleys comet, or when he lifts the world cup as England captain. Now, that is a great deal, what do you think?"

"This is insulting, you are an embarrassment to Manchester United. We'd rather sell him to Spurs for £50 million, than deal with you idiots ever again."

Saffron

That Howson story is pure fantasy; no way Judge has no clue about who is coming to his office to meet him. And I really doubt any agent worth their salt would stop negotiations even if this happened. If nothing else you'd use United's interest to leverage the best deal out of Spurs.
”Can I just stop you right there”, doesn’t necessarily mean he walked away right then and there. I think the goal was to highlight Judge’s ignorance and ultimately get the upper hand in the negotiations.

Completely normal and rational reaction by the agent. If it happened.

NickSantigo

This can't be true

Why would the player be meeting our negotiator. That's why he hires an agent. The agent will maybe meet to discuss terms but
Surely the player would meet with Ole and/or Mike Phelan to discuss his potential role withing the team and any ambitions we might have

Grande

Not saying it happened, but if Meunier’s agent called Howson to plant a story in order to help his contract negotiations with Spurs, that would tell you all you need to know about how sleazy he must be. And if, just if, Meunier has no actual agent, but himself called and pretended to be an agent, he would have to be very stupid, and good on Matt Judge for rejecting to even meet up with any of them (if he did).

I have no trustworthy sources, but based on them, I think probably nothing has happened at all.

Dolf

On another note, how long have we been negotiating with CP now? It seems like we can only handle one transfer at a time and it takes us weeks/months to get one done.

GBBQ

”Can I just stop you right there”, doesn’t necessarily mean he walked away right then and there. I think the goal was to highlight Judge’s ignorance and ultimately get the upper hand in the negotiations.

Completely normal and rational reaction by the agent. If it happened.
Howson definitely plays it off as negotiations ending right there, says that we can't even sign United fans. Its 100% nonsense.

clarkydaz

On another note, how long have we been negotiating with CP now? It seems like we can only handle one transfer at a time and it takes us weeks/months to get one done.
Theres no reason for it not to be done really, bar a bit of formality haggling the finer details. Then publicly saying no deals can happen until this one is done, sounds fishy.

Wheato

“Okay okay, we’ll give you £20 million now, and an extra £5 million every time the queen of England has a birthday. C’mon, let’s shake on it!”

GBBQ

Thats the line thats been fed, and supossedly other deals are in limbo due to it.
Highly unlikely, especially since "talks" between clubs are likely to be relatively brief and days apart. I would imagine we have done a lot of the ground work on a few deals (newspaper reports of having sounded out Fernandes & Tielemans a clear example of this) but now we are waiting to see what happens with Pogba, Lukaku and DDG. Their staying/going dramatically alters the money we have to spend but also the profile of player we need to sign. Their leaving wont impact wing position or LB hence we have progressed with AWB and Daniel James.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Highly unlikely, especially since "talks" between clubs are likely to be relatively brief and days apart. I would imagine we have done a lot of the ground work on a few deals (newspaper reports of having sounded out Fernandes & Tielemans a clear example of this) but now we are waiting to see what happens with Pogba, Lukaku and DDG. Their staying/going dramatically alters the money we have to spend but also the profile of player we need to sign. Their leaving wont impact wing position or LB hence we have progressed with AWB and Daniel James.
Don't understand this -

Last Summer they spent very little
Spent literally nothing in January

Now into their 3rd window since Mourinho was actually backed, and with massive revenue from the club, there should be easily 300-400m to invest.

The line about 'waiting to see who is sold' is such absolute insult to fans' intelligence it's crazy.

Surely the Glazers are playing endgame now... I reckon they'll be off soon if this carries on.

GBBQ

Don't understand this -

Last Summer they spent very little
Spent literally nothing in January

Now into their 3rd window since Mourinho was actually backed, and with massive revenue from the club, there should be easily 300-400m to invest.

The line about 'waiting to see who is sold' is such absolute insult to fans' intelligence it's crazy.

Surely the Glazers are playing endgame now... I reckon they'll be off soon if this carries on.
Ok so say as it stands we have 300 mil to spend if we identify the right targets. Pogba, Lukaku and DDG going might mean we now have 550 mil to spend but also have a lot of room on the wage bill as well. But we also need to replace the spine of the team. So where you might take a punt on Tielemans / Longstaff as an understudy to Pogba now you need a first team regular.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why does everyone keep saying Woodward drags his heels negotiating when in fact it’s this chump?
Why doesn't Ed replace him? He's a numbers guy, let him stay with his spreadsheets and get a proper negotiator with experience in football transfers. We don't half make things harder than they should be.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hang on a minute.
When we tried to buy Herrera (before he actually joined), wasn't there some ridiculous thing that happened in Spain, which is even more unbelievable?
Here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/manchester-united-ander-herrera-transfer-farce

I realise that some of you don't want to believe how incompetent we are. That we wouldn't hire someone of the level of Moyes. That we didn't pay more than Fellaini's release clause. That we didn't agree to make Sanchez the highest paid footballer in the EPL.
The truth is that our board is utterly incompetent when it comes to footballing matters and our DoF is not qualified to do that job.

From top to bottom, we are joke and for things to improve, Woodard needs to be removed from his position as DoF. Until this happens, you will continue seeing us finish 4th-7th. The 2nd place which Jose got us, was an anomaly.

clarkydaz

Why doesn't Ed replace him? He's a numbers guy, let him stay with his spreadsheets and get a proper negotiator with experience in football transfers. We don't half make things harder than they should be.
it doesn't seem to be a board, more a clique of people who know each other