Television Matthew Perry - Dead at 54

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
This one really sucks. He brought joy to hundreds of millions of people.

I remember never believing I could ever visit NYC, child to a single mum with no money, so when I did manage to scrap together some funds my early twenties, I took a few hours out and went to go see the eponymous friends apartment building. Was like visiting Mecca. I remember just staring at it, with a coffee for half an hour, replaying episodes and quotes in my head and smiling. Honestly, I actually cried a bit. B.

:lol:

Thanks for posting these. Despite the circumstances, this is one celebrity death thread that deserves to be littered with humour.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
This one sucks. Loved Chandler a lot. Wherever Perry is now, at least he’s done with his addictions. :(

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Feck sake, drowning is not a good way to die at all. The guy struggled a lot, RIP.

Drizzle

Friends was the show that helped me so much through my childhood and teen years.

It's ability to transport me to a place I never thought I'd go (New York) and envision a kind, warm, fun adulthood in comparison to a rough time I was having was priceless.

It taught me so much tbh, children should not have to rely on sitcoms from the states tbh. It made me obsessed with the State's and NYC and the importance of cultivating friendships, which I benefit from to this day.

It was an escape and a much needed one.

I remember never believing I could ever visit NYC, child to a single mum with no money, so when I did manage to scrap together some funds my early twenties, I took a few hours out and went to go see the eponymous friends apartment building. Was like visiting Mecca. I remember just staring at it, with a coffee for half an hour, replaying episodes and quotes in my head and smiling. Honestly, I actually cried a bit. Because that show and that apartment symbolised something to me, to the childhood me, that was so important and supportive, that it felt like a unrealistic, unachievable dream come true.

Chandler was always my favourite and I started to understand comedy in a way I didn't from other UK shows like Bottom or Blackadder etc.

I think like most fans, you become of the situation around Matt's struggles with addiction, especially as I got older and would have the show on as a comfort, it was clear he was struggling.

As he said in that interview, while he didn't think so, I imagine most people could tell what issues he was having given the changes to his physique and face during the ten years of the show, the tell tale signs of coming off of and back onto drugs.

It was clear the guy was struggling and fame wasn't helping, as were the expectations of comedy and celebrity.

But the joy he gave this young boy from the UK, along with the rest of the cast was magical and I really wish I could have told him this, face to face. Albeit, likely in a very awkward way, awkward in how oversharing childhood trauma and emotions via a paradoxical relationship to a strange is awkward, even more as as a nearly forty year old man.

It's super sad, god bless you Matthew Perry.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-s...=900:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto
What a lovely personal tribute.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Friends was the show that helped me so much through my childhood and teen years.

It's ability to transport me to a place I never thought I'd go (New York) and envision a kind, warm, fun adulthood in comparison to a rough time I was having was priceless.

It taught me so much tbh, children should not have to rely on sitcoms from the states tbh. It made me obsessed with the State's and NYC and the importance of cultivating friendships, which I benefit from to this day.

I remember never believing I could ever visit NYC, child to a single mum with no money, so when I did manage to scrap together some funds my early twenties, I took a few hours out and went to go see the eponymous friends apartment building. Was like visiting Mecca. I remember just staring at it, with a coffee for half an hour, replaying episodes and quotes in my head and smiling. Honestly, I actually cried a bit. Because that show and that apartment symbolised something to me, to the childhood me, that was so important and supportive, that it felt like a unrealistic, unachievable dream come true.

Chandler was always my favourite and I started to understand comedy in a way I didn't from other UK shows like Bottom or Blackadder etc.

I think like most fans, you become of the situation around Matt's struggles with addiction, especially as I got older and would have the show on as a comfort, it was clear he was struggling.

As he said in that interview, while he didn't think so, I imagine most people could tell what issues he was having given the changes to his physique and face during the ten years of the show, the tell tale signs of coming off of and back onto drugs.

It was clear the guy was struggling and fame wasn't helping, as were the expectations of comedy and celebrity.

But the joy he gave this young boy from the UK, along with the rest of the cast was magical and I really wish I could have told him this, face to face. Albeit, likely in a very awkward way, awkward in how oversharing childhood trauma and emotions via a paradoxical relationship to a strange is awkward, even more as as a nearly forty year old man.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-s...=900:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto
Beautiful eulogy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Really sad news. He was always a bit troubled but from what I’d seen he’d taken lots of steps to help not only himself but other addicts as well.

Sara125

RIP. Drowning is a very, very unfortunate way to go. I never got into friends but I know his character Chandler was a fan favourite if I’m not mistaken?

Ibi Dreams

RIP. Drowning is a very, very unfortunate way to go. I never got into friends but I know his character Chandler was a fan favourite if I’m not mistaken?
Probably the most popular character overall, and certainly the most relatable. Sad news, I don't generally care about celebrity deaths but having grown up watching Friends it does hit a little different

CallyRed

Lovely post mate, alot I can relate to also.

Moby

Dick
Great post @Murder on Zidane's Floor

I spent a lot of my teens watching Friends as well and was really attached to it. Used to get sad everytime I reached that recap episode at the last season. And obviously Joey and Chandler had most of my favourite bits.

His struggles have been really sad to know. I think it was season 7 were you could clearly see that he was struggling on screen as well. For some reason I was hoping that he had put the problems behind him but even in the reunion special he looked a bit worrying. Just a sad irony that someone who brought joy and laughter to countless lives across generations himself suffered through such times.

Really a hard one to take. Hope his friends and family can find peace knowing he's not going through the problems anymore. Such an unfortunate story.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He brought so much joy to so many others - and continues to do so what with the reruns and it being on Netflix. He was a great dramatic actor too - loved him on his West Wing episodes and Studio 60 deserved far more love than it got. RIP.

IRELANDUNITED

Awful sad news. I grew up watching friends, I remember every Monday night me and my brother watching the latest episode of Friends. I’ve bought Matthews book recently, I’ve only read a bit of it though. From what I gather he had been sober for a while does anyone know if this was the case?

Irrational.

What a lovely tribute.

RIP to one of the best characters in one of the most timeless and best sitcoms of all time.

Sara125

Awful sad news. I grew up watching friends, I remember every Monday night me and my brother watching the latest episode of Friends. I’ve bought Matthews book recently, I’ve only read a bit of it though. From what I gather he had been sober for a while does anyone know if this was the case?
They did say no drugs were found on the scene but it is odd to drown in something as shallow as a hot tub. Hoping it wasn’t a suicide. Only other explanation is a possible heart attack?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
That's so sad, RIP

Still watch Friends several times a week. One of my all time favorites

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
54 is no age, and drowning must the worst way to go. So tragic. So sad to hear of his battles with addiction too.

I was never a big fan of Friends, but I saw Matthew Perry in a play in London in the early 00s (starring alongside Hank Azaria). He, and Hank, were excellent in it. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, or how I even ended up going, but that must've been when he was at the peak of his fame and success, as it was towards the end of Friends' run. He played a very funny character completely unlike Chandler (infact Hank Azaria's character was much more Chandler-like). I've only seen a few plays in my life and could never really immerse myself in them, except for this one. Great performance, very talented. RIP.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Painful news to hear. He was such a big part of my teenage years when Friends was a staple weekend source of entertainment in my household. I’ve not been this affected by a celebrity death since the tragic demise of Robin Williams.

I feel that humour is a caricaturisation of pain and the best comedians like Perry were masters at it whilst they confronted their own demons.

Jericholyte2

Hopefully it was something like a heart attack whilst in the hot tub, rather than anything more…I’m not sure Ben sure of the appropriate word.

Horrifically sad news. RIP

Gazautd18

Wifey and my sisters used to watch Friends in the 90's but wasn't something I got into until the re-runs.
Always related to Chandler/Matt especially after hearing about Matt's struggles.
Couldn't be arsed with the others tbf
RIP Chandler

macheda14

Hopefully it was something like a heart attack whilst in the hot tub, rather than anything more…I’m not sure Ben sure of the appropriate word.

Horrifically sad news. RIP
Reading quite a bit about this on Reddit, extended period of time in a hot tub is actually really bad for you as your body is submerged in water much hotter than your internal temperature. This can cause hyperthermia and you can faint. Just going on his recent social media post he probably spent a lot of time just sitting in the hot tub. It's likely a freak accident.

Suv666

Damn there was so much Friends growing up for me. My brother and I were obsessed with it. Seen every episode 4 times at least. Every season has a memory baked into it for me and makes me so nostalgic, probably the same for a generation.

Was the first English show I had ever seen and my gateway to Western tv.
Genuinely sad after hearing about this.

DevTheRed

The posts before it are very very ominous.

I think he decided last week and came to terms with it.
Last few posts were very ominous indeed.. either a huge cry for help or like you say he’d already come to terms with it. Huge shame either way.

RIP Matthew :(

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
One of the greatest comic actors of all time. His timing, his delivery, his vocal inflections… just genius.

Brought so much happiness and laughter into the World.

Just a true great.

I hope he went peacefully.

R.I.P legend

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The posts before it are very very ominous.

I think he decided last week and came to terms with it.
I agree with something like this, sounds like there's a lot of foreshadowing.
Rest in peace.
Last few posts were very ominous indeed.. either a huge cry for help or like you say he’d already come to terms with it. Huge shame either way.

RIP Matthew :(
what exactly am I missing about a bunch of Batman posts? He didn’t die crime fighting