Television Matthew Perry - Dead at 54

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ketamine and baths/hot tubs do not mix. Not going to lie I have dabbled in the past and remember hearing stories of people that thought it was a good idea to combine it with a soothing bath only to slip away under the water.

whitbyviking

Ketamine is horrible and a cause of massive problems mentally and physically. Should be a lot more effort made to combat ketamine.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The thought of going into a k hole in water is pretty terrifying. It be like being in sleep paralysis and actually knowing you're about to die.

Brophs

The One and Only
For all we know he may have been tranquillising horses for entirely innocent reasons and accidentally ingested it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was on a ketamine drug therapy apparently, but don't think his last dose which was a week and a half before was the cause.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ketamine and baths/hot tubs do not mix. Not going to lie I have dabbled in the past and remember hearing stories of people that thought it was a good idea to combine it with a soothing bath only to slip away under the water.
K holes are no joke, they can be very dangerous as you say.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How does the caf constantly know everything about every drug in existence? Usually knowledge far beyond Breaking Bad or the odd rabbit hole. I swear the authorities should be monitoring a few of you.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
How does the caf constantly know everything about every drug in existence? Usually knowledge far beyond Breaking Bad or the odd rabbit hole. I swear the authorities should be monitoring a few of you.
Because drugs are literally the best form of entertainment from 16-25 (and beyond with mushrooms) in the UK.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Ketamines a nightmare I remember doing a line in my mates basement when I needed a piss, I got halfway up the second set of stairs and had to crawl to the bathroom before I pissed myself

great times

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't worry. It might have been inaccessible and expensive when you were a kid but Norway has improved its illegal drug trade massively. Tønsberg is becoming a city of drugs and Oslo sways between being the crystal meth or heroin capital of Europe.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Don't worry. It might have been inaccessible and expensive when you were a kid but Norway has improved its illegal drug trade massively. Tønsberg is becoming a city of drugs and Oslo sways between being the crystal meth or heroin capital of Europe.
My drug intake is limited to about one paracetamol per year so thankfully I'm oblivious to all that.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/15/arts/matthew-perry-cause-death-friends.html?smid=re-share

The medical examiner said drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of an opioid also contributed to the death of the “Friends” actor, who was found in a hot tub in October.

But the autopsy ascribed his death primarily to “the acute effects of ketamine.” Ketamine is a powerful anesthetic that has become increasingly popular as an alternative therapy for depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder and other hard-to-treat mental health problems. It is also used recreationally.
The autopsy report said that Perry had been on ketamine infusion therapy but that the ketamine in his system could not have been from his last known therapy session, which was about a week and a half before he died.

“At the high levels of ketamine found in his postmortem blood specimens, the main lethal effects would be from both cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression,” the autopsy report said. It noted that the level of ketamine investigators found in Perry’s blood was equivalent to the amount that would be used during general anesthesia.
And then he climbed into a hottub the size of a swimming pool...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Jesus, I take it he was familiar with the effects it would have. Which does make you wonder if he's decided to call it a day.

Its such a sad story all around. I felt bad for him watching the reunion and reading things he's said over the past few years. He mentioned how only Jennifer Aniston kept in touch with him regularly which I found sad. You could tell it really bothered him.

On a side note, my mrs watches friends literally every night and I ended up getting into it. Weirdly you still think they're the same as they are on your screens and forget how long ago it was filmed. I was googling some of the actors that appear on some episodes to see what they have done since Friends, and it still blows my mind to see that some of the younger looking ones are in their 60s now. Like the woman he has to fire in one episode, she's 62 now I think. She looked about 20 in the series.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Jesus, I take it he was familiar with the effects it would have. Which does make you wonder if he's decided to call it a day.

Its such a sad story all around. I felt bad for him watching the reunion and reading things he's said over the past few years. He mentioned how only Jennifer Aniston kept in touch with him regularly which I found sad. You could tell it really bothered him.

On a side note, my mrs watches friends literally every night and I ended up getting into it. Weirdly you still think they're the same as they are on your screens and forget how long ago it was filmed. I was googling some of the actors that appear on some episodes to see what they have done since Friends, and it still blows my mind to see that some of the younger looking ones are in their 60s now. Like the woman he has to fire in one episode, she's 62 now I think. She looked about 20 in the series. - I feel
Music videos, like on MTV and VH1 back in the day, that has the same effect on me, Mick Jagger, he's 80 FFS, Kylie is 55, I feel real old now!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know it seems like a terrible thing to say but every time these celebs die at relatively young ages and remind me of my mortality - i am somewhat relieved when I hear when it was become of something like a drug overdose. Because then i feel like its something that tells me its not common to die before reaching elderly status. Anyone else feel that way?

Balljy

It was a very weird drug for me the one time I tried it, I saw really hard hallucinations which I knew weren't real and was going with it. Then we went outside and met one of my parents best friends, who I assumed not to be real too and I told her that. To her credit I don't think she ever mentioned it.

I can totally understand how it could cause people to make fatal decisions and fall into a ketamine hole

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I know it seems like a terrible thing to say but every time these celebs die at relatively young ages and remind me of my mortality - i am somewhat relieved when I hear when it was become of something like a drug overdose. Because then i feel like its something that tells me its not common to die before reaching elderly status. Anyone else feel that way?
All the time. Not just celebrities but anyone really. It’s a kind of reassurance because you can say to yourself you wouldn’t be in that sort of situation I guess.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I love drugs, duh.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
So, more like Ketman than Batman.

It is an awful drug, luckily never had a "pleasure" of meeting its effects, but I think that has more to do with seeing my friend having trouble to recognize me from a feet away dealing with few motoric issues simultaneously. And this was daylight few hours after taking it. In any case, he manage to take away any appeal to it in what was a 5 minute "conversation", so thanks buddy.

It was always suspicious he simply drowned but on the other hand seeing he had an ongoing therapy hard to say how much of it was intentional. Probably just wanted to take some edge off and unfortunately took too much (in a body which took enough for about 30 people already and not ideal environment). What a horrible way to spend your life and what should have been your peak years, RiP.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s a shame, and I feel sorry for those close to him who cared about him and wanted to see him sober and happy. I am thankful he didn’t have any children. Addiction is a terrible disease; but as a recovered addict myself, no one will ever be able to tell me that there isn’t an element of self determination about it all. Anyone, no matter how addicted, can get clean with the proper support, determination and strength of character. I feel sad that despite all he said and did about addiction in general, and how seemingly self aware he was about the destructive nature of his addiction; he still wasn’t able to be sober. And he’s paid for it with his life.

Hopefully we will make strides in the coming years to understand why some people are predisposed to be addicts, while others are not. Somewhere out there, there has to be the answer to this terrible affliction. I lost two years of my life to an opioid addiction, brought on by a serious back injury that led to me taking more and more every day; until I was constantly high. High so often that I didn’t even know what it felt like to be sober, and high became my new baseline. I remained “functional”, holding down a high pressure job, being a father and partner. But I lost the ability to feel in the way a person should, and I lost a part of my soul in those two years.

Once my injury healed, an injury that had felt like the worst thing in the world, I realised the addiction pit I was in, was worse than any injury I had just overcome. I could see no way out, felt tremendous shame, and just felt trapped. My days revolved around managing my supply of pills, and making it from one fix to another.

Then overnight I just quit. I saw a pathway that involved unspeakable short term suffering, but the greatest long term reward imaginable; getting my whole self back. So I just went for it. From a very high dose every day, for two years, to just nothing. And I got through it. I wanted to peel my own skin off at time. Felt suicidal at others. But I looked at my past self, I looked at my little girl, and I knew that for her there was no amount of suffering I would not endure in order to be the father she deserved. I feel lucky that I had that motivational factor working in my favour.

Maybe the absence of love, especially the sort of unconditional love that exists between parent and child, is the ultimate catalyst for his failure to recover.

I hope he is at peace now.

Anyone reading this thread who is suffering from addiction issues, should feel free to PM me. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and I am here to listen; and to help.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I was in a treatment centre when I learned about his death and it brought on mixed emotions.

@simonhch probably put it better than I can, but on one hand I'm in a treatment centre learning that there is a way out, that by following the programme on offer by this particular centre (obviously there are other ways to recover) we can and will recover and probably the main thing that comes to mind is that we get out of it what we put into it. I've been out of treatment a couple of months now and I've thrown myself at the programme. Meetings everyday, meditation in the morning, prayers at morning and night, gratitude lists, ringing my sponsor at the same time each day, ringing two other newcomers each day to see how they are and working with my sponsor to go through the steps. I'm putting the work in and I genuinely feel like I've come alive for the first time. It'll sound airy fairy but everything feels real for the first time. I used to look around and feel like everything was on the other side of a glass, like it wasn't really there. I was dying inside, and its not like that now and that is because I've put the work into this programme. And it'll be a lifelong endeavour.

So when I look at Matthew Perry I feel admiration on one hand when I see him stand up to charlatans like Peter Hitchens in debates over addiction and I sympathise with his struggle, but on the other hand I just have to wonder if he ever managed to have that surrender moment that you need to go on the path of recovery. The gift of desperation, where you know the gig is up but you really feel it to your core. Did he ever do the work on a daily basis to get his daily reprieve from this illness, I do not know.

In any case, may he Rest in Peace.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was in a treatment centre when I learned about his death and it brought on mixed emotions.

@simonhch probably put it better than I can, but on one hand I'm in a treatment centre learning that there is a way out, that by following the programme on offer by this particular centre (obviously there are other ways to recover) we can and will recover and probably the main thing that comes to mind is that we get out of it what we put into it. I've been out of treatment a couple of months now and I've thrown myself at the programme. Meetings everyday, meditation in the morning, prayers at morning and night, gratitude lists, ringing my sponsor at the same time each day, ringing two other newcomers each day to see how they are and working with my sponsor to go through the steps. I'm putting the work in and I genuinely feel like I've come alive for the first time. It'll sound airy fairy but everything feels real for the first time. I used to look around and feel like everything was on the other side of a glass, like it wasn't really there. I was dying inside, and its not like that now and that is because I've put the work into this programme. And it'll be a lifelong endeavour.

So when I look at Matthew Perry I feel admiration on one hand when I see him stand up to charlatans like Peter Hitchens in debates over addiction and I sympathise with his struggle, but on the other hand I just have to wonder if he ever managed to have that surrender moment that you need to go on the path of recovery. The gift of desperation, where you know the gig is up but you really feel it to your core. Did he ever do the work on a daily basis to get his daily reprieve from this illness, I do not know.

In any case, may he Rest in Peace.
Proud of you & can totally relate. I rotated recently out of a two year stint at a long term in patient rehab facility. While still remaining an agnostic & interacting with my HP in my own way, the program has benefitted me immensely, especially the structure it has afforded me. It sounds like it is doing much similar to you & it's heartening to hear.

No clue if Perry was involved in a step program or just trying to white knuckle it if he was trying to quit. Sounds like an unintentional overdose that rendered him incapacitated enough to slip under the water line in his pool. What a tragedy.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Proud of you & can totally relate. I rotated recently out of a two year stint at a long term in patient rehab facility. While still remaining an agnostic & interacting with my HP in my own way, the program has benefitted me immensely, especially the structure it has afforded me. It sounds like it is doing much similar to you & it's heartening to hear.

No clue if Perry was involved in a step program or just trying to white knuckle it if he was trying to quit. Sounds like an unintentional overdose that rendered him incapacitated enough to slip under the water line in his pool. What a tragedy.
Thank you, I'm proud of you too. The opposite of addiction is connection, DM me anytime.

SirAF

Ageist
Definitely.

Needham

Gotta love the DM, knows exactly what it's doing.
"These claims now threaten to tarnish Perry’s legacy, following his death aged 54 in October after overdosing on ketamine while in the hot tub at his Pacific Palisades home."
Why did you marry the millionaire Paul Daniel's levels of sarcasm.