Matthijs De Ligt | Juventus Player

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
De ligt is not faster nor more agile than VVD. Infact, De ligt is rather slow and he is not agile.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
De ligt is not faster nor more agile than VVD. Infact, De ligt is rather slow and he is not agile.
Can't post media yet, but just look up Mbappe vs De Ligt. He's not as fast as Mbappe, but just fast enough to stop him. So that's not slow.
Due to his stature he just doesn't look all that fast, but kinda is.

Stacks

Can't post media yet, but just look up Mbappe vs De Ligt. He's not as fast as Mbappe, but just fast enough to stop him. So that's not slow.
Due to his stature he just doesn't look all that fast, but kinda is.
As a defender myself, that means nothing. He was goalside and you can position yourself between the man and the ball if you know what you are doing. There wasn't much space for Mbappe and it was very short distance. I am sure Mbappe would burn him with more space. You could see Mbappe was moving faster but De Ligt cut the ball out before he made too much ground

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
As a defender myself, that means nothing. He was goalside and you can position yourself between the man and the ball if you know what you are doing. There wasn't much space for Mbappe and it was very short distance. I am sure Mbappe would burn him with more space. You could see Mbappe was moving faster but De Ligt cut the ball out before he made too much ground
What's your contract situation like?

Are you able to play the ball whilst also having pace?

Asking for a Norwegian friend

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I see where you're coming from but this is pretty much what VVD would do when facing players of this ilk. Very rarely do absolute top center-backs get found out in a positionally compromising play where they are involved in a foot race.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Yes Mbappe was faster, but you can't really say that De Ligt is slow and not so agile after seeing this clip. Mbappe was going all on in the acceleration and yet De Ligt was able to contain him and make a turn with the ball

GueRed

Plus De Ligt had a couple of yards head start.

Read the situation well though and used his body well after that.

Stacks

Yes Mbappe was faster, but you can't really say that De Ligt is slow and not so agile after seeing this clip. Mbappe was going all on in the acceleration and yet De Ligt was able to contain him and make a turn with the ball
I can't judge from that limited footage. There was barely any distance covered nor strides made

A-man

I would say good defending by covering with his body, but speedwise Mbappe started well behind but is in level within a second.

edit:
I remember peole posting similar about Axel vs Mbappe. But didn't stop Mbappe because he was faster, but because he was good at anticipating the run and could get ahead of Mbappe already before the sprint started.

GueRed

I would say good defending by covering with his body, but speedwise Mbappe started well behind but is in level within a second.

edit:
I remember peole posting similar about Axel vs Mbappe. But didn't stop Mbappe because he was faster, but because he was good at anticipating the run and could get ahead of Mbappe already before the sprint started.
That is Axel's strength.

He is very good at direct one on one duals on the ground. He's quick and aggressive.

Every other aspect in his defensive game is not as good unfortunately...

A-man

That is Axel's strength.

He is very good at direct one on one duals on the ground. He's quick and aggressive.

Every other aspect in his defensive game is not as good unfortunately...
He did great in that match, facing one of the best forwards in the world 1v1. For me his weakest side is his decision making and it can only be improved if he play matches. His positioning is also a bit worrying, but it will also improve with match time.

MDFC Manager

Good point. If that exact same situation happened more centrally rather than near the touchlines, Mbappe would have toasted him with pace.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's good defending but losing a 5 yard head start in a 15 yard race is not convincing evidence of someone's pace.
It's not really evidence of anything, it's a short burst and he's slowing down to control the ball after 4 steps

SoCross

How is this lad doing? Was supposed to be the next great defender.

Average. He's playing ok but still scrapping for minutes with Bonucci and Chiellini when you'd have hoped he would be first name on the teamsheet by now, considering their age. He also joined just as Juventus and Serie A went down the toilet quality wise.

In hindsight it probably wasn't the right move for him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Average. He's playing ok but still scrapping for minutes with Bonucci and Chiellini when you'd have hoped he would be first name on the teamsheet by now, considering their age. He also joined just as Juventus and Serie A went down the toilet quality wise.

Serie A is the strongest its been in a decade

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara

Juventus are down the toilet, not Serie A. I think Serie A overall has improved in coparison to 10 years agi but still needs to make an impact.

As for Juve, althought they don't face the same institutional crisis level as Barsa, this time is key for them. Agnelli should be very very careful with his next steps as he screwed up with the Pjanic transfer and Superliga participation. I think their most crucial role is at Board level.

As for sports level, I think Allegri is a good manager who will surely be able to maintain the team in the Top 4 positions in Italy and probably, have a decent run in the CL, with a little bit of luck also. But nonetheless, he will need money and to sign key young players and I don't recall him being very good at developing young talent. Maybe Allegri will succeed in bringing short term results but will not be a good manager for long term re-build perspective.

As for De Ligt, I think he has underrated. He should be by this time one of the supposed WC defenders and is unable to compete agains 38 yo Bonucci and quasi 40 Chiellini.

Reactions: Cheimoon

I only moved here a couple of years ago but that's a damning indictment of the state of it if true. Juventus and Milan got absolutely mauled by second string PL sides in the last couple of CL rounds.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't watch him that often, but like all the other dudes from that Ajax side, he seems worse than when he left. He's very big and strong, like a garbage truck.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Juve despite being shit in the league qualfiied for the Ko rounds, Milan who are apparently title contenders in Serie A couldn't even beat Porto in UCL and are out of all European competitions, Atalanta couldn't even beat a Utd team in shit form and are at the moment losing to Villarreal, Roma are getting embarrassed by 3rd rate teams in 3rd rate European competition. Even Napoli who are currently flying high in Serie A are having issues in Europa league. Inter is the only team that looks semi decent this season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Juve despite being shit in the league qualfiied for the Ko rounds, Milan who are apparently title contenders in Serie A couldn't even beat Porto in UCL and are out of all European competitions, Atalanta couldn't even beat a Utd team in shit form and are at the moment losing to Villarreal, Roma are getting embarrassed by 3rd rate teams in 3rd rate European competition. Even Napoli who are currently flying high in Serie A are having issues in Europa league. Inter is the only team that looks semi decent this season.
Eh. Juve beat chelsea and topped the group. They're 5th in the league, 7 points off top 4. The rest have been disappointing, sure, but i wouldn't read too much into it.

And Napoli in EL don't count, they're mandated not to care about it. DeLa gets pissed if they do well in it :lol:

Roma eh. It's a conference side. Spurs lost to a slovenian side nobody had ever heard of even in slovenia in the same competition :D

lex talionis

Should we make a move for Mattjis next summer?

If do bring in ten Hag it might not be daft to bring him in. Varane is injury-prone, Maguire is no defensive rock, Lindelof is able squad man but is easily bullied and Bailly will likely be shown the door. Not sure what's in Jones's future but surely it's not at Old Trafford.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Young player joins club for the boat load more cash they are offering more than other clubs… what could go wrong?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He hasn't improved at all. It could still happen, he's only 22 and De Vrij was in his first year at Lazio at the same age. I don't think the club choice had an impact. He's played plenty.

His release clause is something obscene like 150m. I wouldn't go anywhere near him and with Pogba leaving, there's an opportunity to never have to deal with Raiola again.

@Terranova He's not scraping for minutes, but he's not first choice either. In the most important games Chiellini and Bonnuci are first choice.