Matthijs De Ligt | Juventus Player

FatTails

Oh god, there is no place on the internet safe from the stupid cnuts. Shouldn’t this “discussion” be in the other forum, not the football one?

Irwin99

How has his career progressed since making the move? He was being talked about as being a once in a generation defender/world class etc. Has his form been good?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How has his career progressed since making the move? He was being talked about as being a once in a generation defender/world class etc. Has his form been good?
From what I gather from the Dutch press, he's been very good for them. His start there was unlucky with the handballs, and he has had a few injuries and was out with COVID-19; but other than that, he is a stalwart for them. I checked a Juve forum, and their fans also seem very impressed with him.

(Sorry, had to retype this as my post got deleted due to its COVID-19 bit.)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
From what I gather from the Dutch press, he's been very good for them. His start there was unlucky with the handballs, and he has had a few injuries and was out with COVID-19; but other than, he is a stalwart for them. I checked a Juve forum, and their fans also seem very impressed with him.

(Sorry, had to retype this as my post got deleted due to its COVID-19 bit.)
I’d love him but they’d never sell

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’d love him but they’d never sell
Isn't Juve in financial trouble? Selling him might solve a lot of that, cause he'd be at least as expensive as what they got him for and is on high wages (I think); but they might also want to keep him at all cost as he's still young and can be part of the long-term basis of their future team.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Isn't Juve in financial trouble? Selling him might solve a lot of that, cause he'd be at least as expensive as what they got him for and is on high wages (I think); but they might also want to keep him at all cost as he's still young and can be part of the long-term basis of their future team.
They are, but if he's gonna be sold it's gonna be near 100 million i guess, his wages are the highest at Juve besides Ronaldo. So it's gonna be a really expensive transfer, but still worth it i guess.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They are, but if he's gonna be sold it's gonna be near 100 million i guess, his wages are the highest at Juve besides Ronaldo. So it's gonna be a really expensive transfer, but still worth it i guess.
I might be overestimating him, but I think he has the potential to be a Van Dijk-like transfer for a club with defensive weaknesses: very expensive, but fills the hole comprehensively, allowing everything to move to a higher level.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I might be overestimating him, but I think he has the potential to be a Van Dijk-like transfer for a club with defensive weaknesses: very expensive, but fills the hole comprehensively, allowing everything to move to a higher level.
yeah i feel the same way, but that might also be because he's Dutch and from the Ajax academy :P
But for me he's the defender we could use. He's strong, fast, great on the ball and already a (natural) leader. But i think it's too late now for United to get him now, not sure they're gonna splash the cash on him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He just came out and said he will take the vaccine. Guess he's not an anti vaxxer after all.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
yeah i feel the same way, but that might also be because he's Dutch and from the Ajax academy :P
But for me he's the defender we could use. He's strong, fast, great on the ball and already a (natural) leader. But i think it's too late now for United to get him now, not sure they're gonna splash the cash on him.
I'm also getting most of my info from Dutch sources. :D I don't suppose United will want to spend big on a CB yet again, but it's clear Maguire needs a better companion there and this would a safe buy that's a clear upgrade. For example, I'd say De Ligt would more clearly and more certainly improve the squad than Sancho, who I don't think is quite as proven; so maybe it's the better way to splash cash, if that's what United want to do.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's a monster. Physically i've rarely seen anything like him. He's like Van Dijk only even stronger and faster and more agile, it's absurd

Whenever he's been fit he was juventus best defender by miles

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He's a monster. Physically i've rarely seen anything like him. He's like Van Dijk only even stronger and faster and more agile, it's absurd

Pity they aren't playing together at the Euros.

Do you know what's the status at Juve? I think I read somewhere that they're in trouble, but how is it? Will they have to do a fire sale to both raise cash and get the highest wages of the book (let's aim for the worst-case scenario first :D ), or is it more manageable than that?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No idea honestly. They're just praying Cristiano leaves right now i think

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Is he actually that fast? I admit I haven't really watched him much, but from the little I have seen I thought he was fairly average pace wise.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he actually that fast? I admit I haven't really watched him much, but from the little I have seen I thought he was fairly average pace wise.
Yeah I call BS on De Ligt being faster than Van Dijk.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
He just came out and said he will take the vaccine. Guess he's not an anti vaxxer after all.
His dad's been a pharmacist for over twenty years, so yeah, he's probably literally the least likely guy in the whole Dutch squad you'd expect to be anti vaxx when you think about that :lol:

Yeah I call BS on De Ligt being faster than Van Dijk.
Van Dijk is, or at least was faster for sure. De Ligt's pretty agile for a strong bulky guy and he isn't slow, but I wouldn't call him rapid. I'd say he's somewhat similar to Lukaku in terms of how their big physique almost tends to make it seem they have only three or four big sprints in them every match, opposed to say the Jordi Albi type of fullbacks who just throw out these little rapid accelerations 20-30 times per match, and then I would say Lukaku's top speed is a little higher compared to De Ligt's as well.