Matthijs De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Smart move, he’ll be back as a freebie in five years time :D and then back to Ajax again to close his career.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
That is how i see but i i like to think that people actually think that what they post is right? It was weird to always read people claiming that he failed, failed to impress, didnt match expectations or something like that.

He clearly did something right if Bayern is willing to fork out the money.

I guess it is just the first impression people had and are not willing to change it. He made a lot of (freak) handballs when he joined Juventus and therefor he cant have been good for them. Must be something like that?
Nah, this is a knee-jerk football forum, understandably so… the non-football sections are a bit more relaxed, though.

Ekeke

You definitely didnt overpay. You should have broken the transfer record for defenders to get him. De Ligt is easily a €100m defender in this market.

Maybe De Ligt had no interest in joining a non CL team. I love Martinez, but I'd definitely take De Ligt at €80-90m ahead of Martinez at €67. If United didn't have a go for him, it'd be quite stupid IMO. Chance of a lifetime it was.
wat

No chance

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Erm think you got the ages wrong. There is about a year in it.

No idea what United’s add ons are either. 65m is the very top end but the initial guaranteed fee is 55m (euros).
Sorry was wrong. That's Lautaro Martinez.

It's stated 55m + 10m Euro of add-ons.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We have to wait and sign our target because we can’t agree to a fee and will force a transfer in 18 month isn’t swift. What utter nonsense.
It’s like us and Sancho but every summer. Numerous times at that. Don’t see much praise for the swiftness of that deal. Bayern are always involved in numerous transfer sagas.
Every transfer isn’t like that and you know it

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
wat

No chance
He's a 22 yo defender with experience of a 28 yo. Theres no defender of his age even remotely close to him in terms of experience.

Juventus have turned him into a sober defender and took away all the extra's that he has. Doesnt mean that he doesnt have all the extras that he showed at Ajax anymore. They were just not utilised in Italy. In Italy they just want a defender to defend and pass the ball to the nearest player when in possession. In Italy you play in a tight defense, but De Ligt is also capable of playing a high line and aggresive defending on the half way line. In Italy defenders drop back to their own box first and start defending as a unit there. Different way of playing, easier for the individual and so De Ligt can't demonstrate that he has more in him.

Yes. He does make the odd mistake every now and then. But who doesn't? So does VVD, so did Ramos in his prime and basicly any defender. All that people have against De Ligt is some clumsy handballs, from which maybe one was a bit stupid from his side but others were really nothing more than purely unfortunate. He can't cut off his arms.

De Ligt is not perfect and he can and should still improve, but he has an unmatched set of qualities. He's a more complete defender than any on the planet, especially in his age.

cyberman

Every transfer isn’t like that and you know it
Not saying it is but their directness and swiftness is vastly overrated in here.
Laimer is already lined up for their “sign a player after failing to agree a deal with the club and wait 12 months” for next summer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not saying it is but their directness and swiftness is vastly overrated in here.
Laimer is already lined up for their “sign a player after failing to agree a deal with the club and wait 12 months” for next summer.
They quite obviously don’t want to pay for him and thats fine. Free transfers are not a bad thing, heck wish we planned a few myself

Grande

You definitely didnt overpay. You should have broken the transfer record for defenders to get him. De Ligt is easily a €100m defender in this market.

Maybe De Ligt had no interest in joining a non CL team. I love Martinez, but I'd definitely take De Ligt at €80-90m ahead of Martinez at €67. If United didn't have a go for him, it'd be quite stupid IMO. Chance of a lifetime it was.
I don’t think we should overplay this ‘Erik knows best’ thing, but if there os pne person I’d trust in the world to state the worth of Lisandro Martinez and Matthijs De Ligt for Man Utd right now, it’s Erik ten Hag. Of course, it’s possible we sounded him out and said, ‘no I prefer Bayern and Bundesliga/CL this year’, we don’t know that. Besides he might be angry that Marcel Bout said he would be fat like his dad (or not).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Another top club finishing their "saga" within a week or two! Meanwhile at Manchester United...
We're not a top club though. We're just a name, like Liverpool in the 90s.

City can get Haaland, Liverpool can get Nunez and Bayern can De Ligt because they are 3 of the top 5 clubs in the world, having very successful periods.

We, on the other hand, are a shambles from top to bottom without a trophy in 5 years. Why are top names gonna rush to join us?

TheReligion

Abusive
We're not a top club though. We're just a name, like Liverpool in the 90s.

City can get Haaland, Liverpool can get Nunez and Bayern can De Ligt because they are 3 of the top 5 clubs in the world, having very successful periods.

We, on the other hand, are a shambles from top to bottom without a trophy in 5 years. Why are top names gonna rush to join us?
Nunez a top name in the same bracket as Haaland? Really?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
70m Euro fix and 10m Euro add-ons.
5m Euro of it easy to get, the other 5m Euro not easy to get.

Thus it's between 75m and 80m Euro.

If Martinez is really 65m Euro, Bayern surely didn't overpay. De Ligt is 3 years younger and had a high ceiling.
Bayern mainly signed him, because he is the personality to lead and organize the defense verbally, like Alaba did. Hernandez, Upamecano or Pavard don't have that kind of personality.
Except de Ligt only has 2 years left in his contract, while Martinez had 4 years. Juventus are desperate to sell him now if not he would only have 1 year left next year.

Ekeke

He's a 22 yo defender with experience of a 28 yo. Theres no defender of his age even remotely close to him in terms of experience.
Means absolutely nothing. Could get injured this season and never be the same again, and could never improve on what he is now despite staying fit.

Juventus have turned him into a sober defender and took away all the extra's that he has. Doesnt mean that he doesnt have all the extras that he showed at Ajax anymore. They were just not utilised in Italy. In Italy they just want a defender to defend and pass the ball to the nearest player when in possession. In Italy you play in a tight defense, but De Ligt is also capable of playing a high line and aggresive defending on the half way line. In Italy defenders drop back to their own box first and start defending as a unit there. Different way of playing, easier for the individual and so De Ligt can't demonstrate that he has more in him.

Yes. He does make the odd mistake every now and then. But who doesn't? So does VVD, so did Ramos in his prime and basicly any defender. All that people have against De Ligt is some clumsy handballs, from which maybe one was a bit stupid from his side but others were really nothing more than purely unfortunate. He can't cut off his arms.

De Ligt is not perfect and he can and should still improve, but he has an unmatched set of qualities. He's a more complete defender than any on the planet, especially in his age.
Yeah and they said Pogba was the most complete midfielder on the planet. He did far more than De Ligt

The reality is he's a fairly good CB of which there are lots. He had the hype that he was going to be special and he hasnt been. Anything but. Still he's young and not bad, just fairly good. He should cost the same as the other fairly good CBs. No more than Lisandro

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Means absolutely nothing. Could get injured this season and never be the same again, and could never improve on what he is now despite staying fit.

Yeah and they said Pogba was the most complete midfielder on the planet. He did far more than De Ligt

The reality is he's a fairly good CB of which there are lots. He had the hype that he was going to be special and he hasnt been. Anything but. Still he's young and not bad, just fairly good. He should cost the same as the other fairly good CBs. No more than Lisandro
No more than Lisandro? Have you watched him more than 3 times?

I have seen both multiple seasons. Lisandro is very good, De Ligt is another level. De Ligt is younger than Lisandro and with him as a (19 y/o) captain Ajax almost reached the CL final and he had a huge impact on that. Lisandro great player, but no De Ligt.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Only PSG can come close to what they offer though. A never ending run of league titles and domestic success, with a good chance at the CL. It's hard to really copy the Bayern model.

Isn't City offering that as well? Almost certain league title and a deep CL run

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Except de Ligt only has 2 years left in his contract, while Martinez had 4 years. Juventus are desperate to sell him now if not he would only have 1 year left next year.
While almost everyone knows Deligt half this forum probably never heard of Lisandro 2months ago

Pintu

I don’t think they were desperate. Juventus is a richer club and they can afford to lose De Ligt for free in 2 years time or sell him for lower price next year if he doesn’t extend. They’d consider one more season of having him a win... They weren’t going to lower the price now.

I don’t believe Lisandro is in that bracket yet.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don’t think they were desperate. Juventus is a richer club and they can afford to lose De Ligt for free in 2 years time or sell him for lower price next year if he doesn’t extend. They’d consider one more season of having him a win... They weren’t going to lower the price now.

Juve? Rich club? One of the three clubs still pushing for the super league?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why couldn't they take 3 months to sign him.
Yeah that's not how things are supposed to be. They should prepare a bid first, send their CEO to a bar in Munich, get spotted somewhere in Turin and then brief the media that they will wait before De Ligt to make a decision even if it means sabotaging the start of the season.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Only PSG can come close to what they offer though. A never ending run of league titles and domestic success, with a good chance at the CL. It's hard to really copy the Bayern model.
Isn’t their usual strategy to just Hoover up all the best talents from the Bundesliga, thus ensuring no one else even has a chance of competing with them?

And then every once in a while they go out and spend mega money on a player. Not exactly rocket science or impressive. In fact, it’s extremely boring.
I meant in the sense that they identify their targets and they fecking go get him. The news came out last week they wanted De Ligt. Same €80m was quoted. They offered €60m first. Didn’t work. Second time the director went to Italy and they got it done. Quick in and out. He is already signed. Unlike us we take 2 months just to put in a bid.

Ekeke

No more than Lisandro? Have you watched him more than 3 times?

I have seen both multiple seasons. Lisandro is very good, De Ligt is another level. De Ligt is younger than Lisandro and with him as a (19 y/o) captain Ajax almost reached the CL final and he had a huge impact on that. Lisandro great player, but no De Ligt.
Yes I've seen Lisandro since he played in Argentina. He would stand out (positively) in Italy more than De Ligt has

Donut

For those who have actually seen him play at Juventus, he’s not been too good has he? This fee seems more about potential (he’s still very young) than getting one of the absolute best CBs.

Kostov

For those who have actually seen him play at Juventus, he’s not been too good has he? This fee seems more about potential (he’s still very young) than getting one of the absolute best CBs.
He has played in arguably the worst Juventus side in recent memory, he is 22 and with already such a huge reputation. He still was one of the best CB in the league imo and is still the biggest CB talent in football. As I already said previously, 80m euros for him is bargain compared to us paying 65m for someone like Martinez.

Rainy nights in Stoke

Christ potentially 15m more than what we paid for Martinez, we got fleeced.
How good were they in their respective Ajax-careers? De Ligt had some good CL performances and scored a few goals. That plus being captain very young seems to have hyped him to high heavens. Don’t know that he was consistently better than Martinez.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think people are way too negative on him, at Ajax he genuinely looked like a young Nico Schlotterbeck.

Telsim

Killer transfer window by Bayern Munich this time around. Mane, Gravenberch, Mazroui, and now De Ligt. That should soften the blow of losing Lewandowski.

CM

Christ potentially 15m more than what we paid for Martinez, we got fleeced.
We probably have overspent for Martinez but I wouldn't say that because of de Ligt's relative cost.

De Ligt is probably one of the more overhyped defenders out there. That's not to say he won't be good for Bayern or can't become one of the better defenders in the world but I haven't really been all that convinced by him at Juve. You're paying for the potential more than anything right now.

Martinez is arguably more important for ten Hag and how he wants to play football. Louis van Gaal was obsessed with having a left footed CB; that's an important trait in Dutch football. Martinez also looks a better passer of the ball and will help us bring the ball out of defence.

Horses for courses and all that. I think both teams have got the player they wanted for their respective needs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

All Serie A clubs have suffered damage financially due to covid, that includes Juventus. Thus, I doubt they can afford such a thing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So far I had only seen one Ajax fan in here calling De Ligt is better but the rest of Ajax fans in here called Martinez better than De Ligt. In fact, some even said Martinez is better than Timber while the same Ajax fans who said it actually said that Timber is better than De Light and should play over De Ligt in National Team.

Well, as United fan right now I can't conclude if that's believable or no. And it's not like I want to argue about it. But I'm just happy that we are getting left footed CB. I think De Ligt will do well with Bayern under Nagelsmann.

Idxomer

80m for a defender who has been good but not great for Juve and with two years on his contract is crazy, also his salary would be quite high. Martinez is overpriced but you won't probably find a defender with better stats than him in last season's CL.

Upamecano and De Ligt have the potential to be a great partnership but also expect some high-profile comical errors from both of them.

I'm glad he's moving. He was THE defensive talent and every man and his dog could see Juventus was the wrong move, everybody except Raiola anyway. It will be good to see him at a big club challenging in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.