Matthijs de Ligt

-Supreme-

De Ligt is fast enough, for some reason people see him and think he's big, he must be slow. He actually isn't

He's fast enough to counter an accelerating Mbappe, so surely he's not that slow.
Funnily enough this clip actually proved that he isn’t fast at all when he had a good distance head start but got caught up very quickly, and I have no doubt he will be taken advantaged with more open space and opportunities to run at him 1v1 situations.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Funnily enough this clip actually proved that he isn’t fast at all when he had a good distance head start but got caught up very quickly, and I have no doubt he will be taken advantaged with more open space and opportunities to run at him 1v1 situations.
are you missing the fact that he was in full control? This was not a sprint + last ditch effort to clear the ball. He was exactly fast enough and still in control to intercept and instantly turn and start an attack.

Besides, this was against one of the fastest players. Almost every defender is going to lose a sprint. It's all about being fast enough and in a good position. Which is something De Ligt is good at.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Failed at Juve failed at Bayern

-Supreme-

are you missing the fact that he was in full control? This was not a sprint + last ditch effort to clear the ball. He was exactly fast enough and still in control to intercept and instantly turn and start an attack.
It’d be quite concerning if he wasn’t in full control given how much head start he had and limited space Mbappe had to work with in this specific example you have provided to prove that he is a fast player.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It’d be quite concerning if he wasn’t in full control given how much head start he had and limited space Mbappe had to work with in this specific example you have provided to prove that he is a fast player.
Did i ever say he's fast? No, i said he's fast enough. There is probably not a CB who's faster than Mbappe, so you're not going to find one.
I was just countering the fact that people think he's slow.

-Supreme-

Did i ever say he's fast? No, i said he's fast enough. There is probably not a CB who's faster than Mbappe, so you're not going to find one.
I was just countering the fact that people think he's slow.
“Fast enough” is very subjective and this clip doesn’t prove this and in fact it actually highlights an area of concern particularly in the PL.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
“Fast enough” is very subjective and this clip doesn’t prove this and in fact it actually highlights an area of concern particularly in the PL.
How is winning against Mbappe a concern?

But fine here's a clip of him racing Chiesa, who's known for his rapid acceleration

BarstoolProphet

De Ligt is fast enough, for some reason people see him and think he's big, he must be slow. He actually isn't

He's fast enough to counter an accelerating Mbappe, so surely he's not that slow.
Yeah, like with Amrabat, using a single video involving a sprint with Mbappé invalidates the claim that the player in question lacks pace.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Yeah, like with Amrabat, using a single video involving a sprint with Mbappé invalidates the claim that the player in question lacks pace.
well that's the problem with players that aren't known for being very fast or very slow. You have to dig really deep to find any clips at all. But there is also the other one i posted where he raced Chiesa twice

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There arent any centerbacks that are faster than Mbappe, its all about positioning, something I have no doubt you know very well.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I love the hot takes from people who have probably seen 4 games of de Ligt. “Doesn‘t even start in the Bundesliga“ was probably the worst.
Anyways, have fun in here.

Rojofiam

I love the hot takes from people who have probably seen 4 games of de Ligt. “Doesn‘t even start in the Bundesliga“ was probably the worst.
Anyways, have fun in here.
Do you think he would be a good partner for Martínez? Is he good in the build-up, and receiving the ball in difficult situations from the goalkeeper?

r0663664

Worships Man City
If you see some of the side, it is a combination of tall, physical and fast. If you want to play Maguire, you need a fast and mobile CB who can be slightly short like Ake. Erik went a buy a short terrier, now he needs to find a tall and fast defender which will be hard to find. De ligts isn’t it, if Erik buys him then he needs another defender to compliment him. Overall stupid transfer by a dumb manager.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
For once trust the scouts and go with their recommendations rather than maanger picks .

Todibo, , Branthwaite above this guy. I have seen nothing of them though :lol:

OleGunnar20

Eventually we’ll have eleven Ajax players and still it won’t be possible to play Ajax football.
Ha, it's funny because it's true.

I don't watch Bundesliga but his injury record looks rough. We can't be building around players like that, we've enough problems as it is.

I'd make it an absolute baseline necessity that any player signed from now on was 1: Not injury prone and 2: Physically dominant.

That's the basic foundation. You look from there to see what else a player can offer above these traits.

OmarUnited4ever

I do not think pace is as important for a CB as other things like positioning, reading the game, passing, physicality and defending, plenty of slow CBs are doing fine, Dias isn't particularly quick but he is an excellent defender.

If we are getting him, then it should be based on the qualities I mentioned above

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

I don't watch Bundesliga but his injury record looks rough. We can't be building around players like that, we've enough problems as it is.

I'd make it an absolute baseline necessity that any player signed from now on was 1: Not injury prone and 2: Physically dominant.

That's the basic foundation. You look from there to see what else a player can offer above these traits.
Add "mentally strong" to your list of basic requirements and you turn into Dortmund. Who just had to sign someone like Sancho because it doesn't work well.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I do not think pace is as important for a CB as other things like positioning, reading the game, passing, physicality and defending, plenty of slow CBs are doing fine, Dias isn't particularly quick but he is an excellent defender.

If we are getting him, then it should be based on the qualities I mentioned above
Dias has pace around him in Walker, Ake and Akanji. You need pace in your back line in order to push up the pitch. Given the makeup of our current CBs we should he adding pace and strength and physicality.

He also is not an excellent defender else he would not get benched by both club and country. He is good not excellent and we need better

Pronewbie

Peep

Left Juve because he wants to play on the right and on the front foot, apparently. And probably also because he wants to win titles and keep his EUR300K/w salary. I read earlier in the season that he was frustrated Upamecano was playing ahead of him. If only we got KMJ, we'd be sorted in the CB position. But alas we're a tier 2 side these days. He's certainly ambitious and hungry but whether he has the ability and fitness is another thing.

I really don't think the club should pay any player other than a genuine world class player more than 300K/w though. The likes of De Gea, Rashford, Sancho are not worthy of it and we should let such players leave as we used to under SAF.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Left Juve because he wants to play on the right and on the front foot, apparently. And probably also because he wants to win titles and keep his EUR300K/w salary. I read earlier in the season that he was frustrated Upamecano was playing ahead of him. If only we got KMJ, we'd be sorted in the CB position. But alas we're a tier 2 side these days. He's certainly ambitious and hungry but whether he has the ability and fitness is another thing.

I really don't think the club should pay any player other than a genuine world class player more than 300K/w though. The likes of De Gea, Rashford, Sancho are not worthy of it and we should let such players leave as we used to under SAF.
That's grim. He went from missing 5 games in 2 seasons with AJAX to missing 50 games in 4.5 seasons.

padzilla

Hipster
I would steer clear, he's failed elsewhere and will charge a king's ransom to join us.

Bright_Eyes

I'd put professionalism/discipline and work ethic over physical dominance. Latter ain't gonna mean anything if you buy a lazy entitled player, we've been stung too many times.

OmarUnited4ever

Dias has pace around him in Walker, Ake and Akanji. You need pace in your back line in order to push up the pitch. Given the makeup of our current CBs we should he adding pace and strength and physicality.

He also is not an excellent defender else he would not get benched by both club and country. He is good not excellent and we need better
Agreed on needing pace in FBs as well midfield providing cover to the backline (an excellent DM) if the style is a defensive highline, for City, Stones & Dias aren't particularly quick (I recognize they ain't as slow as Maguire but they will be done by if a quick attacker catches them unawares) but they both can work well together as they have other excellent qualities, and I was not commenting on De Ligt actual ability (being excellent, good, or average, etc...) but I meant that if we want to get Di Ligt, pace is not a major factor to say he is good or not good.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Agreed on needing pace in FBs as well midfield providing cover to the backline (an excellent DM) if the style is a defensive highline, for City, Stones & Dias aren't particularly quick (I recognize they ain't as slow as Maguire but they will be done by if a quick attacker catches them unawares) but they both can work well together as they have other excellent qualities, and I was not commenting on De Ligt actual ability (being excellent, good, or average, etc...) but I meant that if we want to get Di Ligt, pace is not a major factor to say he is good or not good.
Guardiola doesn't rely on pace in those positions because he positions his players so well that you can always pressure the opponent player immediately in the rare instances they have dangerous turnovers. That's also the reasoning behind the inverted fullbacks he started playing at Bayern. City also builds up so slowly that his teams are very rarely caught out of position. If you ensure all those things, you don't really need pace to cover a high line. Here's a cool video by Football Meta explaining this:

Yagami

Good post resistant
People are catching on that this guy isn't that good.

When I watched Ajax, our Blind carried the defence. When I watched Juve for Arthur, he was a hindrance more often than not. I can't believe Bayern bought and am not surprised that they're already looking to shift him.

He'd be terrible in the premier league. Lindelof-esque.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Amrabat at the world cup clip type beat

Stadjer

People are catching on that this guy isn't that good.

When I watched Ajax, our Blind carried the defence. When I watched Juve for Arthur, he was a hindrance more often than not. I can't believe Bayern bought and am not surprised that they're already looking to shift him.

He'd be terrible in the premier league. Lindelof-esque.
You claim to have watched de Ligt and then claim he would be like Lindelof. Something tells me you didnt actually watch him because de Ligt is totally different to Lindelof. He is way more Maguire than Lindelof.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Haggy won't be here in the summer to have us give Bayern Munich an audacious sum of money to sign this guy, thankfully.

Gordon Godot

Guardiola doesn't rely on pace in those positions because he positions his players so well that you can always pressure the opponent player immediately in the rare instances they have dangerous turnovers. That's also the reasoning behind the inverted fullbacks he started playing at Bayern. City also builds up so slowly that his teams are very rarely caught out of position. If you ensure all those things, you don't really need pace to cover a high line. Here's a cool video by Football Meta explaining this:

love the comment about how a lack of control becomes 'navigating the chaos'. Can think of no better description for United under ETH. And a decent coach should be able to do better.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
love the comment about how a lack of control becomes 'navigating the chaos'. Can think of no better description for United under ETH. And a decent coach should be able to do better.
After his Ajax days, I had high hopes when you announced Ten Hag's signing. I was very disappointed when I read that interview at the beginning of the season about how he doesn't intend to have United play the Ajax way. A real shame since with the money you invested under him, he could have built himself an excellent possession oriented squad.

Pronewbie

Peep
After his Ajax days, I had high hopes when you announced Ten Hag's signing. I was very disappointed when I read that interview at the beginning of the season about how he doesn't intend to have United play the Ajax way. A real shame since with the money you invested under him, he could have built himself an excellent possession oriented squad.
Exactly. Only reasons I can think of is
1. Bruno and Rashford
2. Lack of squad depth

In conjunction with our horrible preseason and 1st PL match, it was bitterly disappointing to hear and set us up for where we are right now.